The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Smoking (tobacco)

I am glad to see that the percentage of smokers in the US is down.

Percentage of U.S. Smokers Hits All-Time Low - 24/7 Wall St.

In China (where I live/teach) it seems smoking is ubiquitous.

Smoking in China - Wikipedia

I never got into smoking. When I was quite young my father told me that "kissing a smoker is like licking a dirty ashtray." When I first heard that I gagged.

For those who were smokers what technique did you use to quit?

27 minutes ago, Faber said:

I was 11 and had a father that smoked at the time.  (He later quit.)  Friend had a pack so we went to a field and smoked half each.  I anticipated getting sick, but didn't.  I was my last cigarette.

Probably not severe enough to necessitate a 12 point program, but that's all I got.

2 hours ago, Faber said:

Cold turkey.....back in those days I am not sure even Nicorette gum existed.....hardest thing I have ever done.  Even 5 years later the idea of have a cigarette appealed to me.

• Like 1

Weened off of them over a 2 month period with much prayer.  I was quitting for spiritual and health reasons both.  

I smoked a pipe while in the Navy and for about three years after getting out. Our daughter was born 2 months early and stayed in the ICU for a while. The Doctor said no smoking any where he near her. I quit that very day and never smoked a pipe again. I smoked because I needine something to keep my hands doing something and at the time it looked cool  Noe I said it was so stupid and dangerous.

Staff

I'm still struggling. Using Chantix now. Have gone 3 months with no nicotine only to relapse a week ago. Today I begin another treatment of Chantix. Chantix definitely takes away the actual nicotine withdraw but it's that habitual pattern of behavior when first waking up or after meals that's so difficult to deal with. I wake up and it's like I forget my car keys. I know I forgot something (nicotine) and have that feeling all day long.

Staff

After meals do the dishes :classic_ohmy:

I quit June 1971. Cold turkey.. Asked my brother, What do you want for your birthday? His reply for you to quit smoking. 

A couple weeks later while playing pinochle .. Out of habit i picked John's cigarette out of the ash tray took a drag... coughed and sputtered yuk... that was the last .

It's not easy.  I smoked for 20 years.  Another trick I learned was to eat carrots when a withdraw comes on.  It helps with the psychological withdraw of having a cigarette in your hand after dinner or on the way to work.  Whenever there is a withdraw I would eat carrots for about 3 - 5 minutes until it went away.  It really helped.  

I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years.  Seeing my Father slowly die of emphysema was motivation enough for me to quit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Mattis: No ‘Smoking Gun’ in murder of Saudi journalist Khashoggi

By American Media Institute - By Josh Yasmeh Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says many American political leaders and the media have jumped the gun in blaming Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince for the October murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi. “Right now, we do not have a smoking gun that the Crown Prince was involved,” Mattis said Saturday. Mattis was echoing the views of President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in his speech at the National Defense Forum at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, California. They are downplaying the CIA’s assessment that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman ordered the murder of Khashoggi, who was critical of the Saudi regime in columns he wrote for the Washington Post. The remarks just days after the Senate passed a bipartisan resolution calling for the United States to suspend military support of the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen. Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2nd, 2018 to get divorce papers that would allow him to marry his Turkish fiancée. He was never seen again. After initially denying any involvement in his disappearance, the Saudi government eventually admitted involvement in his murder and the subsequent dismemberment of the body. The Washington Post has reported that the CIA believes that Mohammad bin Salman, often known by the initial “MbS”, ordered the assassination. But President Trump disputed that account last month, saying that the CIA report does not say specifically that MbS ordered the attack. On Saturday, Mattis suggested that further investigation was necessary to determine what exactly happened to Khashoggi. “We need to explore all aspects of the murder,” Mattis said. Photo of Mattis with Trump in 2017. Mattis also echoed Trump in arguing that crime should not define U.S.-Saudi relations. “Accountability of the murder of Khashoggi stands alone” from the administration’s other policy considerations, namely its national security interests and bilateral arms sales relationships. Emphasizing Iran’s disruptive in the Middle East, Mattis asserted the importance of advancing a robust U.S.-Saudi partnership to counter emerging threats from the region’s preeminent Shiite power, including potential threats from nuclear proliferation and proxy warfare. This includes continued support for Saudi Arabia’s proxy war in Yemen. To date, an ongoing war in Yemen has killed thousands of civilians as a result of a nearly three-year-long bombing campaign. The death toll is a consequence of direct civilian casualties from bombings in addition to cholera outbreaks, starvation, and other natural disasters incurred during wartime. The United States provides nearly 60% of Saudi Arabia’s armaments. Even the president’s staunchest allies, however, joined the call in condemning Saudi Arabia for what’s seen as reckless behavior by the young Prince Salman. Following Trump’s dismissive comments regarding whether or not the Crown Prince had a hand in the assassination of Khashoggi, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) voted in favor of the Senate resolution after signaling that he would cast a vote against it. “I changed my mind because I’m pissed,” said Graham. Source: American Media Institute Mattis: No ‘Smoking Gun’ in murder of Saudi journalist Khashoggi is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• VIDEO: Mattis refutes $92M military parade cost – ‘Whoever said that is smoking something’

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has disputed the latest cost estimates that surfaced Thursday for President Trump’s military parade. While en route to Bogota, Columbia, Mattis told reporters that no cost estimates for the parade had reached the number of $92 million, adding “whoever told you that is probably smoking something that’s legal in my state [of Washington], but not in most states,” according to a USA Today report on Friday. “I have not seen an estimate of $92 million,” Mattis said. “The estimates are coming to me. I’ve given initial guidance, but I’ve received no such estimates.” “I haven’t received an estimate of $10 million or $92 million,” he noted. Download our FREE Mobile App - The Highest Rated Military News App in the World! Mattis’ remarks follow a Thursday report by the Associated Press in which an anonymous U.S. official claimed the estimate for President Trump’s military parade had climbed to $92 million – more than triple that of prior estimates. The official claimed that approximately $50 million of the budget would cover Pentagon’s costs for “aircraft, equipment, personnel and other support.” Most of the remaining $42 million was said to cover security costs, and the costs to other agencies. A few hours later, another report came out to announce a statement by Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Jamie Davis, in which he said the parade would be postponed until 2019. “The Department of Defense and White House have been planning a parade to honor America’s military veterans and commemorate the centennial of World War I,” the Pentagon statement said, according to Fox News. “We originally targeted Nov. 10, 2018 for this event but have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019.” President Trump tweeted Friday morning, saying: “The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it.” Mattis explained to reporters that he had seen “approximate cost for certain elements of it, but those were very premature.” He added that even when he received approximate costs, it came with a warning that they were not finalized. “We will get you the cost estimate – I have not seen it yet,” he said. Mattis said he didn’t think such estimates could even be conceived before plans were finalized. He added that the Pentagon comptroller is very thorough and would not release estimates so early. “I’m not dignifying that number with any reply. I would discount that,” he reiterated over the $92 million estimate. “I can guarantee you one thing, they probably said ‘I need to stay anonymous,’” Mattis said of the anonymous official who provided the estimate to the AP. “No kidding, because you look like an idiot,” he added. “And number two, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. I’ll just leave it at that.” “I guarantee you there’s been no cost estimate to me,” Mattis concluded. View the full article

in Military

• Is smoking/chewing tobacco a sin?

My second question is perhaps more complicated: Is it (also) a (greater?) sin to smoke whereby others can breathe it (secondhand smoke)?

in Morality and Laws

• Dem Senator drops BOMBSHELL on Russia “smoking gun”

The “investigation” into whether or not the Trump campaign colluded with Russia has met nothing but dead ends. Despite investigating the issue for months, nobody has been able to provide evidence that would indicate the accusations against Trump are true. At this point, it’s likely there never will be any evidence at all.   Of course, that hasn’t stopped Democrats from pushing the narrative. Even if they can’t find any evidence, Democrats want to keep the investigation going as long as possible. As long as the story stays alive, liberals can use it to resist President Trump’s agenda.   Sadly, pushing a narrative isn’t all Democrats are doing. Some Democrats have gotten so far ahead of themselves, they’ve started talking impeachment. As Col. West has often said here, it’s a conviction searching for evidence. But without any evidence to back up the claim, impeachment simply isn’t a possibility.   At least one Democratic Senator realizes that, noting in two recent interviews that as of now, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE.   From the Blaze:   Democratic Sen. Mark Warner (Va.) admitted Sunday that the Senate Intelligence Committee has not yet found a smoking gun during its investigation into potential collusion between President Donald Trump’s campaign and Russian operatives.   “There is a lot of smoke,” Warner, who is vice chairman of the Intelligence Committee, told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “We have no smoking gun at this point, but there is a lot of smoke.”   Later in the day, made the same point:   In a separate interview the same day on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Warner told host John Dickerson that “every week there’s more smoke that appears,” though he reiterated the fact that the committee has found no “smoking gun” or conclusive evidence to date.   However, the investigation will continue to “sort through” all the information to determine if there is any veracity to the suggestion that Russia did work with Trump associates to influence the 2016 election, Warner told Dickerson. Watch:     Of course, much of the “smoke” that has accumulated is nonsense as well. Many of the reports flying around have relied on anonymous sources and government leaks, yet none of the information has been proven accurate. It seems there’s an ongoing effort to create smoke, but Democrats have not been able to locate the fire.   Nevertheless, the admission by a prominent Democrat is an important one. Many Democrats have been pretending for months that there is plenty of evidence. Apparently confused about how investigations work, liberals have been telling people to prove there is no evidence. Of course, it’s impossible to prove a negative.   For once, a Democrat has been completely honest. There’s ZERO evidence to back up their fantasy claim, but that’s not going to stop them from trying to find it.   Source: http://www.allenbwest.com/mlee/dem-senator-drops-bombshell-russia-investigation-smoking-gun

in Political Conservative News

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.