The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
ConfessionalLutheran

So, What the Heck IS a Lutheran, anyway?

The simple answer to this question is that a Lutheran is someone who holds to the inerrancy and infallibility of the Holy Scriptures and because of their alignment with Holy Scriptures, the Lutheran Confessions contained in the Book of Concord are readily accepted and preached. Here is a link to a site known as Lutheran Satire ( that will poke fun at false teachings, but the fun has a point beyond simple ragging on somebody) that will more fully explain the Lutheran position. 

Let it be noted that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is considered apostate by Confessional Lutherans at this time because of the denomination's various compromises with the world.

https://lutheransatire.org/what-we-believe/

Not to criticise but genuinely to edify with these Scriptures in mind, not suggesting Luther is being glorified by you CL, or that you are anything other than a devoted follower of Christ, I find the inevitable creation of denominations, streams, movements, and affiliations a travesty of Christianity.

Yes, there are divisions and heresies to sort through, but the focus of a denomination on one acclaimed follower of Christ, be it Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon or any other to the exclusion and relegation of the unity of the body of Christ, as is sometimes the case, does little for me.   

1Co 3:3-5
(3)  For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men?
(4)  For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal?
(5)  Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom you believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

1Co 3:21-23
(21)  Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
(22)  Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
(23)  And you are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

Not to criticise but genuinely to edify with these Scriptures in mind, not suggesting Luther is being glorified by you CL, or that you are anything other than a devoted follower of Christ, I find the inevitable creation of denominations, streams, movements, and affiliations a travesty of Christianity.

Yes, there are divisions and heresies to sort through, but the focus of a denomination on one acclaimed follower of Christ, be it Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon or any other to the exclusion and relegation of the unity of the body of Christ, as is sometimes the case, does little for me.   

1Co 3:3-5
(3)  For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men?
(4)  For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal?
(5)  Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom you believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

1Co 3:21-23
(21)  Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
(22)  Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
(23)  And you are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

An excellent thing to keep in mind, Placable37. In Christ we all are one.

As Lutherans, we stand for the Truth and in doing so, we also firmly reject erroneous opinions in connection to our faith, even when those errors are offered by those who would presume to use the name " Lutheran." As Confessional Lutheran Christians, we uphold the unaltered Lutheran Confessions because they are in perfect concord with the words of Holy Scripture: 

https://theydiffer.com/difference-between-missouri-synod-and-elca/

Doctrine is important. It's important because it keeps us faithful to God and the principles espoused by doctrine are unchangeable. For those who eschew attending a church because they don't find it as pure as they'd like, I will offer up this little tidbit: The Scriptures were written down and collected by people who were thoroughly grounded and under the supervision of superiors in what they would call " organized religion." I would argue that the Church's " organizer" is God Himself and who are we to dispute with our Head, Who alone is Jesus Christ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

The Scriptures were written down and collected by people who were thoroughly grounded and under the supervision of superiors in what they would call " organized religion." I would argue that the Church's " organizer" is God Himself and who are we to dispute with our Head, Who alone is Jesus Christ?

Even those meeting under the banner of "organic religion" have some degree of organisation, so the complaint is not with organisation per say, but over-organisation that becomes a dead work devoid of faith and quenches the Holy Spirit. 

• Like 2

Staff
1 hour ago, SovereignGrace said:

Are some Lutheran like Martin Luther who held to a more reformed soteriology?

Or did the Reformation cease at Martin Luther's death?

Semper Reformanda (Latin for "the church must always be reformed").

God bless,

William

• Toast 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• John 1:1c Lutheran Satire

Best line from video (T 1:37): "Except he’s most clearly not saying that Patrick which you might have realized if you hadn’t dropped out of Greek 101 after 15 seconds and ordered a powerbomb on the Nicene creed."

in New Testament

• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has been compromised.

I think it is pertinent and a telling example of a church that abandons its roots and confessions in favor of the things of this world : https://www.exposingtheelca.com/. I'd include the ELCA on the list of cults at this point. This is an example of a church that has steadily grown more and more leftist until the only things " Lutheran" left about them are the outward liturgical forms and a passing nod to the Book of Concord. They're so eager to pitch the Confessions and mythologize the Word of God so they look good to the world that they lose every sense of what it is to be a Confessional Lutheran Christian.

in Lutheran

• Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod : America's Best Kept Secret..

When I was growing up, I thought my two choices for a church were either the Baptist Church or the Catholic Church. When I first heard about the Lutherans, my impression about the religion was that it was based on the teachings of Martin Luther and that it was primarily " for" Germans and Scandinavians. Having been involved in two LCMS parishes for the space of three years, I know that it's far more cosmopolitan and a lot more liturgical than I originally thought. You'll find more Lutherans among the peoples of Africa than you will in Europe or the United States.The church also keeps to its Apostolic teaching and adheres quite strongly to the Book of Concord.   So, why do we have to dig and research to find it? Isn't part of the Great Commission to " go out and make disciples?" Why go all the way to Asia and Africa when there's an enormous mission field right here in the United States? The Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod's Reformation principles, it's Biblical base, liturgical focus and Confessional Lutheran stance offers the perfect place for a Protestant of non- liturgical background that wants to keep Biblical focus and also keep to that great tradition that can be traced back in purified form to the teachings of Jesus and the holy apostles. Lutherans need to get out there and boast, rejoice and make their church visible!   I would say not only to the Confessional Lutheran Churches such as the LCMS or the WELS, but to the other historically Confessional Protestant churches to go out there and spread the good news! Let the American public know that those liberal versions of your denominations don't speak for you and you offer a more faithfully conservative approach consistent with the Biblical faith of your forefathers. Society's a wreck because we've been conditioned to be too timid to say " if you want Truth, Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life and there is no other way under Heaven to get to the Father except through Him!" Own your heritage! Conservative Christian Churches shouldn't be tucked away behind a hill, or put on the side of a highway stretch leading to strip malls, they should be prominent! People are going to churches that teach error because they think that mainline Protestantism has flatlined. It has, but the mainlines aren't the only churches out there. The Holy Protestant Reformation will be celebrating its 500th anniversary next year. Why not start the party a little early?    

in Lutheran

• Lutheran vs. Reformed

Question:   I am currently in an ELCA [Evangelical Lutheran Church in America] church. Due to various conflicts, we are considering whether this church is the better place of worship for our family. I have studied Lutheran theology a bit, but have yet to better understand some of its distinctions from Reformed/Calvinistic theology. Could you provide me a reference for where I might compare/contrast these theologies? We have a LCMS [Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod] as well as an OPC nearby that I'd like to better understand.   Answer:   To start, my frank personal opinion and pastoral advice to you is that the ELCA is not a good church for any Christian family. As a denomination, they have for a long period of time moved away from Scriptural truth. Of course, within every denomination, you may have individual local churches and their pastors that have remained faithful. But when one supports a local ELCA, they are also supporting the work of the broader denomination in its unbiblical practices. In my opinion, between the ELCA and the LCMS, the LCMS is a much more viable option—hands down.   Now, the second part of your question concerns similarities and differences between Lutheran and Reformed. Such a discussion would require a treatment far beyond the limits of this e-mail (and even my own personal knowledge!). However, I will highlight some major points below. Before I do that, I would simply point you to one resource I know which does comprehensively compare the two systems. If you like reading a lot, you will like this book. Louis Berkhof's Systematic Theology is where I learned the differences between the various systems of theology. I do not personally know of any other resources that are as comprehensive.   That said, lets begin with the similarities between Lutheran and Reformed:   1. Emphasis on the "solas". Both Reformed and Lutheran affirm that Scripture is the Christian's authority alone, that a person is justified by grace alone, through faith alone, because of Christ alone, and all to the Glory of God alone.   2. Both believe in the baptism of infants.   3. Both maintain a high view of the church (at least higher than what is held by the general evangelicalism that is so popular today in America).   Now for some differences:   1. The Lord's Supper. Lutherans generally believe that somehow Christ is bodily present at the sacrament, a view often times referred to as "consubstantiation," alhhough I have heard some Lutherans reject that term. The Reformed, on the other hand, believe that Christ is present at the Supper by his Spirit (and is not bodily present). This means that that the Supper is more than just a memorial and a real means of grace (for those who receive the Supper by faith, God strengthens them spiritually). While Christ is not bodily present, there is a "Real Presence" in that He is present spiritually.   2. Baptism. I have understood that the general Lutheran view of baptism is regenerational. In other words, by the administration of the sacrament a person is regenerated and made to be "born again". The Reformed, however, believe that, certainly, God is able to regenerate a person at baptism, but He does not necessarily do so.   In other words, God is not so restricted that He must regenerate a person at baptism. He may regenerate a person whenever He wants—before, during, or after baptism. Of course, another option is that God may decide not to regenerate a person at all! The Holy Spirit is sovereign, and like the wind, He may blow when and where he pleases (see John 3).   3. The Law/Gospel distinction. Lutheranism tends to draw a very distinct and pronounced divide between Law and Gospel (as well as between Old Testament and New Testament). The Law is generally seen as an oppressive thing by Luther. The Law, for him, only seems to have one primary purpose; i.e., to act as a schoolmaster to lead a sinner to Christ, faith, and repentance.   The Reformed, while affirming fully this purpose of the law, also teach other uses of the law. For instance, the Law is a guide even for the unbeliever. Luther seems to dismiss this use of the law. He also seems to believe that since the Christian is free from the law for his justification, somehow he is also free from the law for his sanctification.   Calvin believed that the Law was a way in which God administers his common grace, using the law to suppress wickedness even among pagan peoples, and also promoting righteousness and social orderliness. And for Calvin the third use of the law is the "principal use, which pertains more closely to the proper purpose of the law [and] finds its place among believers in whose 'hearts the 'Spirit of God already lives and reigns" (Calvin's Institutes, II. vii. 12). This is in keeping with the Psalmist's statements, "I find my delight in your commandments, which I love" (Ps. 119:47, English Standard Version) and "Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day" (Ps. 119:97, ESV), and with the Apostle Paul's statement, "I delight in the law of God, in my inner being" (Rom. 7:22, ESV).   So, to summarize this point, for Luther the covenant God make with man seems to be completely one way. God makes covenant with man to save him and that's it. The covenant has no stipulations for man, whereas in Calvin's view of the covenant, it is a two-way street. Yes, God sovereignly administers his covenant to his people by grace alone, but every covenant has obligations. Every covenant has, in other words, Law and Gospel. So the Reformed tend not to separate Law and Gospel as dramatically as do the Lutherans.   There is more we can go into, but I'll end it here. Again, I think you'll find Berkhof to be an indispensable resource for this. He not only gives you the Lutheran view and how it differs from the Reformed on various points of doctrine, but he does the same for Roman Catholicism and Arminianism as well.   Source: https://www.opc.org/qa.html?question_id=31

in Reformed/Presbyterian

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.