The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Bellerose98

Why would God allow those who acted on same sex attractions into Heaven when there’s millions upon millions who never do?

No matter how repentant or sorry a person is, it does not undo the act done. If genetic predispositions, personality disorders, etc. aren’t an excuse to do wrong, why would repentance and owning up to what one does be enough? “I’m sorry” and genuine penitence isn’t enough. It doesn’t take back what’s done. What’s uttering a few words (no matter how genuine) gonna do? Sorry doesn’t cut it.

I just tossed the disruptor out, but in case any " Christian curious" are reading this, let me explain something about God's love and mercy. It's just as all encompassing as His justice; in fact, " mercy triumphs over judgment," as it is written. If one approaches God with a sincere attitude of repentance ( which can only be done when the Holy Spirit is already working on the penitent's heart), confesses the sin, then s/he can be fully confident in faith that God has already wiped away the sin.

Sin is something God hates. God hates sin so much and He loves us so much, that as mired in sin as we are, He sent His Son to us in the flesh, so He would die for our sins and rise so we might be justified before our Father. The Holy Spirit wants to purge us of all our sin and the Blood of Jesus does just that. In the waters of Holy Baptism, our Old Adam is drowned and the Holy Spirit creates new movements in us. It all begins and ends with faith, which itself is a gift given to us by God and renewed with the study and proclamation of the Word and the reception of the Holy Sacraments. We all need Jesus Christ to dwell within us, together with the Father and the Holy Spirit that we might experience that newness of life that only God can give.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

Weak, humanistic, faith that never drives home the true Gospel, all too common.

It's also very presumptuous. Who is she to say " what cuts it" or not in the eyes of God? That sort of blasphemous hubris is just what's going to ( apart from God's grace) drag her off to Hell, unless, of course, she repents.

• Like 1

It's disconserning how many Christians don't know the Gospel, and how they try to tie the law in with it.  Two different covenants,  people.  

Staff

One God.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:07 AM, Bellerose98 said:

No matter how repentant or sorry a person is, it does not undo the act done. If genetic predispositions, personality disorders, etc. aren’t an excuse to do wrong, why would repentance and owning up to what one does be enough? “I’m sorry” and genuine penitence isn’t enough. It doesn’t take back what’s done. What’s uttering a few words (no matter how genuine) gonna do? Sorry doesn’t cut it.

Ok, that is just plain hilarious. :RpS_lol:

For those playing along at home:

What do ...

• Moses ... whom "the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend" [Exodus 33:11 NASB]
  • David ... "A MAN AFTER [God's] HEART, who will do all [His] will" [Acts 13:22 NASB]
  • Paul ... "a chosen instrument of [God's], to bear [His] name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel" [Acts 9:15 NASB]

... all have in common?

Answer:

• They all violated the sixth commandment: [Deuteronomy 5:17 NASB] "You shall not murder."
    • ... as have WE: [Matthew 5:21-22 NASB] "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty [enough to go] into the fiery hell."
  • God CHOSE all of them and LOVES all of them and FORGAVE all of them and USED all of them.
    • ... just as God says He will for us:  [John 3:16-18 NASB] "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
Edited by atpollard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Becky said:

One God.

What's your point?  Do you think the two covenants and the terms of those covenants are irrelevant?  Did Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection change anything?  

Staff

WOW read into 2 words that much.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 12:42 PM, atpollard said:

Ok, that is just plain hilarious. :RpS_lol:

For those playing along at home:

What do ...

• Moses ... whom "the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend" [Exodus 33:11 NASB]
  • David ... "A MAN AFTER [God's] HEART, who will do all [His] will" [Acts 13:22 NASB]
  • Paul ... "a chosen instrument of [God's], to bear [His] name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel" [Acts 9:15 NASB]

... all have in common?

Answer:

Hide contents
  • They all violated the sixth commandment: [Deuteronomy 5:17 NASB] "You shall not murder."
    • ... as have WE: [Matthew 5:21-22 NASB] "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty [enough to go] into the fiery hell."
  • God CHOSE all of them and LOVES all of them and FORGAVE all of them and USED all of them.
    • ... just as God says He will for us:  [John 3:16-18 NASB] "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

You Really feel that ''this'' is a game to be playing along with.   Sorry , but I don't see the hilarity that you seem to. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Sue D. said:

You Really feel that ''this'' is a game to be playing along with.   Sorry , but I don't see the hilarity that you seem to. 

Sorry you feel that way.

I found it hard to take the OP seriously.

• Like 1

Staff
9 hours ago, atpollard said:

I found it hard to take the OP seriously.

As did I . Inter the SHOCK value to stir up emotions .  Again sin is not new or shocking. We have a history of (OT) of such. The world jumps in and pokes at Christians it is nothing but a game to many. 

Staff
6 minutes ago, Becky said:

SHOCK value to stir up emotions

EXACTLLY!

The topic of same-sex attractions To Me , at least, Is a serious subject.  Satan uses any means possible to destroy that which God ordained.   God made male and female to be together to establish 'family'.   Just because same-sex unions got enough votes to pass in lots of states, doesn't mean it was any where Close to really accepted by the Majority of people.  

God Could have created each person with the ability To have sex with Either sex, but He Didn't.  When He says that two people of the same sex laying together the same way that a man and woman were made to lay together is an Abomination to Him, shouldn't we be Listening and practicing self-control?  

Anything that a person does -- as a life-style - that is so hated by God -- it's putrid in His eyes -- Is a definite Problem.  Does that send a person to hell?  IF It's being done with a rebellious inner spirit, then I'd Really reconsider my spiritual condition.  

And there Is a difference between being Tempted to act on a given attraction, and going ahead and fulfilling that temptation.  

If the person who started the thread is still around,  are you suggesting that having taken part in a same -sex sexual encounter makes a person non-forgiveable -- it Doesn't.   When the Holy Spirit convicts a person of any particular sin, the person Can respond back with sorrow / a repentant heart/ ask forgiveness and be forgiven.  God won't turn away anyone who comes to Him with the repentant heart , asking for forgiveness.  

But Sometimes a person won't listen To the Holy Spirit.  They're determined to do their own thing Anyway.  Their attitude might be -- well -- I've really messed up and if it's going to 'send me to hell' anyway -- I might as well enjoy my sin while I'm still here.  That's a lie of satan.  

Sounds like you're suggesting that just because lots of homosexual people believe that God -- somehow Made them 'that way' -- that That gives them the excuse To live that lifestyle.  And there Are churches that cater to homosexuals -- they don't question their actions or anything.  And there are high schools that cater to homosexual students who are bullied at regular schools.  My thought is that Maybe that's an indication that 'society' does Not really accept same-sex 'coupling'.  If it Was really 'just another life-style' Why make such a deal about it.  Why the name calling?  Why 'gay' bars rather than regular ordinary bars. 

Biblical morality / ethics say that fornication is Wrong.  Sexual activity between unmarried couples is Not to be done.  Godly marriage is between one man and one woman Period.  And intimate sexual touching is to be saved as a special part of marriage.  

A person can decide to drink before getting in their vehicle and get into an accident.  They loose an arm or leg or are paralyzed.  And they can forever after regret having gotten drunk and getting into that accident.  They Can ask forgiveness and Be forgiven, but they Will forever have the scars to live with.  A constant reminder of why NOT to take that 'next' drink.  

God knows our heart -- and our heart is reflected in our actions. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sue D. said:

If the person who started the thread is still around,  are you suggesting that having taken part in a same -sex sexual encounter makes a person non-forgiveable -- it Doesn't.

That is exactly what they were claiming.  Repentance was not enough to earn forgiveness from a homosexual act.

I take any claims of the insufficiency of Christ’s blood to pardon a sin seriously and any claim that God cannot forgive as a joke to be laughed at and mocked.

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 4

I'd have to disagree with your comment about it being a joke to be laughed at and mocked.   Each person has a soul that will spend eternity somewhere.  Each soul should also be important to Us, shouldn't it?!  

We've all sinned. To repent is to turn away, change direction, quit the error. There is therefore no condemnation to those who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

In Christ

As long as we're here on earth, we'll have the flesh to deal with.  Satan knows our make-up and uses it against us all the time.  We can repent of 'one' thing and turn from it,  just to have something else pop up in our lives.  And, yes, that's even with the Holy Spirit indwelling us. 

Yeah, I used to be more tolerant, I now need to remind myself to be patient. It appears foolishness prevails and evil men have “waxed worse”, I readily perceive humans as Godless, self-serving shallow twits and would rather disengage. This is not right. I need a tender heart, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, discernment and patience. I know you are listening God, we love each other and this will be good for both of us, so let’s deal with this quickly. Gently. Thanks

In Christ

"Come need us reason together"

43 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

Yeah, I used to be more tolerant, I now need to remind myself to be patient. It appears foolishness prevails and evil men have “waxed worse”, I readily perceive humans as Godless, self-serving shallow twits and would rather disengage. This is not right. I need a tender heart, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, discernment and patience. I know you are listening God, we love each other and this will be good for both of us, so let’s deal with this quickly. Gently. Thanks

In Christ

"Come need us reason together"

Almost sounds like  you don't consider yourself to be a human. 

Staff

Having been around forums for a good while some posts are not sincere they are not meant to be.  This OP and the posts reads to me as zero credibility the game player types..  Hopefully a reader out 'there' might see  that sorry really does cut it  :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sue D. said:

Almost sounds like  you don't consider yourself to be a human. 

Romans 7:24,   O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:6,   For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Nah sis, I inhabit a body as do all else.  Experience the joys, peace, love and frustrations that “are common to man”.  Just looking to change my initial responses and act in understanding and patience instead of scorn toward those that are “willingly ignorant” and seem to so readily put it on display. Kinda, confessing my error and talking to God out loud. He’s always here, so all’s good.

In Christ

• Like 2