The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Zuno_Yazh

Zuno's Per Diem

The koiné Greek word for "bowels" in that passage is splagchnon (splangkh'-non) which basically refers to one's intestines; i.e. their gut; which is saying to me that bowels of mercies are emotions rather than just good manners.

Prove it!

Rom 12:9c . . Stand on the side of the good.

Christian CEOs on the boards of multi-national corporations have my sympathy. Good luck complying with that command.

I recently watched a very interesting documentary on NetFlix that analyzed corporations; and they found that corporations, as a personality, typically exhibit all five of the psychopathic behaviors listed below.

• Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.

• Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships.

• Reckless disregard for the safety of others.

• Deceit and dissembling; viz: repeated lying, suppressing information, stretching the truth, and conning others for profit.

• Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors.

One of corporate America's more shameful management practices is the exploitation of foreign poverty, cheap labor, defenseless employees, minimal safety requirements, and hardly any environmental regulations in order to keep costs down and the bottom lines of quarterly reports up. It's all about profits with corporations; while the human suffering exploited to obtain them is collateral damage, so to speak; and nowhere has that been more prevalent than the manufacture of textiles and garments.

Rom 12:10a . . Love each other with genuine affection

Real affection is easy to imitate, but not so easy to duplicate. Going through the motions is just not the same as feeling the feelings.

Rom 12:10b . . Honor others over yourselves.

Most alpha achievers would have trouble with that one. I mean. why be a winner if not to feel superior to everyone else and accumulate bragging rights and accolades? The alpha achiever's motto is: It's not enough to succeed: everyone else must fail.

Feelings of value are important to everyone's sense of well being, but the alpha achiever feels only himself to be of any real value; in his mind's eye, those "below" him are of little worth, i.e. expendable and/or a dime a dozen. (cf. Est 6:6, Matt 27:26, Mark 12:38 39, and 3John 1:9)

Rom 12:11a . . Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit

The koiné Greek word for "slothful" is okneros (ok-nay-ros') which, according to its use in Matt 25:26-27, indicates failure to honor one's fiduciary responsibilities.

In other words: when people have put their trust in you, in whatever capacity or circumstance: do not disappoint them, nor (God forbid) make lame excuses for failing to deliver on your commitments.

"fervent in spirit" sort of means on fire; which is just the opposite of half-hearted, I.e. lukewarm, and/or procrastinating.

A touching example of the kind of reliability I'm talking about is Boaz. He made a promise to Ruth that goes like this:

†. Ruth 3:11-13 . . And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman. And now it is true that I am thy near kinsman: howbeit there is a kinsman nearer than I. Tarry this night, and it shall be in the morning, that if he will perform unto thee the part of a kinsman, well; let him do the kinsman's part: but if he will not do the part of a kinsman to thee, then will I do the part of a kinsman to thee, as The Lord liveth

That man must've had a reputation in Bethlehem as someone you could trust because here's Naomi's response upon hearing all about Ruth's midnight experience.

†. Ruth 3:18 . .Then Naomi said: Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today.

And sure enough, Naomi knew what she was talking about: Boaz got right to it just as he promised.

Here's an interesting thought. If Christ's followers are required to be trustworthy, don't you think Christ would be required to be trustworthy too?

Well; I tend to think that Christ not only leads by decree, but by example too; and I, for one, am counting on him to honor his promises and his commitments: not just some of them; all of them.

Rom 12:12a . . Be glad for all God is planning for you.

Christians unsure of their afterlife destination cannot, in all honesty and a good conscience, comply with that. For all they know, God has outer darkness planned for them. That's not something to be glad about.

Edited by Zuno_Yazh

The koiné Greek word for "slothful" is okneros (ok-nay-ros') which, according to its use in Matt 25:26-27, indicates failure to honor one's fiduciary responsibilities.

No it doesn't! :RpS_thumbdn:

[Fri] ovknhro,j, a,, o,n (1) of being afraid to act hesitating, shrinking, lazy ( MT 25.26); (2) of things arousing reluctance bothersome, troublesome ( PH 3.1)

I might get into trouble with the mods for saying this but why do I get the impression your just here to spout your own nonsense theories? It seems to me you want a soapbox to pontificate from :RpS_sneaky:

It seems to me you want a soapbox to pontificate from

See post #1

This area of ChristForums is designated for devotionals. I should think that people with a proclivity to quarrel, criticize, debate, and find fault are better served elsewhere.

FYI: If you prefer a better quality devotional than mine; there's a very popular one available called Our Daily Bread that's been around for a long time. It's not only instructional; but also quite entertaining. It's available in children's versions too.

Edited by Zuno_Yazh

See post #1

What about it?

This area of ChristForums is designated for devotionals. I should think that people with a proclivity to quarrel, criticize, debate, and find fault are better served elsewhere.

I don't see anything in the rules that prevents a person from discussing what is posted - indeed the very fact that this is a discussion board suggests otherwise! Anything posted is up for discussion, and when one makes such obvious errors as you are doing you can expect some come back my friend.

There is of course a simple alternative, if you want me to stop commenting stop misusing the original languages and posting dodgy theology :RpS_thumbup:

FYI: If you prefer a better quality devotional than mine; there's a very popular one available called Our Daily Bread that's been around for a long time. It's not only instructional; but also quite entertaining. It's available in children's versions too.

Ah, sarcasm again

Well, you can lead a horse to water........

Rom 12:12b . . Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful.

Patience is something every so-called mature adult is supposed to have but relatively few seem able to produce. What we're talking about here is "composure" which Webster's defines as calmness: especially of mind, manner, or appearance.

Composure is pretty easy to maintain when nothing is bothering us; but not so easy when we're upset, frightened, worried, nervous, angry, irritated, annoyed, over-worked, dead tired, under pressure, stressed, chafed, interrupted, ignored, cut off in traffic, in deep credit card debt, a sudden death in the family, behind in your mortgage, your car payments and/or your student loan; injured, life changing news like your job outsourced to China or you've got cancer, involved in a school shooting, and/or your spouse announces they've met someone and wants a divorce. People tend to come unglued at times like that.

†. 1Pet 4:12 . . Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.

A "painful trial" can be likened to a process to which assayers subject samples of gold to evaluate its worth as a precious metal. If somebody can maintain their composure under the conditions I listed above, I'd have to say that they are a high-value gold. As for the rest of us; we would no doubt benefit from a dose of the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22) hence the enjoinder to "always be prayerful".

Rom 12:13a . . Share with God's people who are in need.

I'm guessing "God's people" pertains to Jews. (Matt 25:31-46 and Rom 15:25-27)

FYI: The Jews are God's people in accordance with a covenant that He made with their ancestor Abraham. (Gen 17:7-8)

Rom 12:13b . . Practice hospitality.

Webster's defines hospitable as: (1) given to generous and cordial reception of guests, (2) promising or suggesting generous and cordial welcome, (3) offering a pleasant or sustaining environment.

In other words; a hospitable person is civil, courteous, thoughtful, easy on one's nerves, helpful, approachable, accommodating, and relaxing to be with.

Rom 12:14 . . Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

The koiné Greek word for "persecute" is dioko (dee-o'-ko) which means to pursue; i.e. to hound. In other words; a persecuting personality is one whose mission in life is to ruin somebody's day at every opportunity; and they are pretty good at finding ways to do it. Christians are under orders to remain calm with toxic people and not let them discourage the practice of hospitality.

The koiné Greek word for "persecute" is dioko (dee-o'-ko) which means to pursue; i.e. to hound. In other words; a persecuting personality is one whose mission in life is to ruin somebody's day at every opportunity; and they are pretty good at finding ways to do it. Christians are under orders to remain calm with toxic people and not let them discourage the practice of hospitality.

So, in your mind to 'persecute' is to be 'toxic'?

I wonder what Christians is the Middle East would think of people who were merely 'toxic' - or maybe you think that you are being persecuted because people here are pointing out your serious errors in theology?