Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Strebe

I think people who do not tell the truth

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Becky said:

One can not  be a Christian while denying the Deity of Christ . That would be a lie. 

That is very true, @Becky. The most ancient sources for traditional Christianity ( as opposed to the condemned Gnostic and Arian heresies), namely Scripture and the Three Ecumenical creeds ( Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian ) affirm the Deity as well as the humanity of Christ. Here are some good chapters and verses to back that statement up: Matthew 1: 18-25, Luke 1:26-38, John 1: 1-5, John 1: 9-18. Here's a good source for the creeds that I'd mentioned earlier: http://bookofconcord.org/creeds.php.

Here's a link that catalogues the testimonies of the Early Church Fathers regarding the Person and role of Jesus Christ: http://bookofconcord.org/testimonies.php. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
4 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

That is very true, @Becky. The most ancient sources for traditional Christianity ( as opposed to the condemned Gnostic and Arian heresies), namely Scripture and the Three Ecumenical creeds ( Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian ) affirm the Deity as well as the humanity of Christ. Here are some good chapters and verses to back that statement up: Matthew 1: 18-25, Luke 1:26-38, John 1: 1-5, John 1: 9-18. Here's a good source for the creeds that I'd mentioned earlier: http://bookofconcord.org/creeds.php.

Here's a link that catalogues the testimonies of the Early Church Fathers regarding the Person and role of Jesus Christ: http://bookofconcord.org/testimonies.php. 

I have done the same thing here.  Also note my references all predate Constantine I and the Council of Nicaea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Barbara said:

Most of us use many bibles to do our studies.... If someone is more comfortable using KJV, (which is true here in the bible belt) then that is the bible I conduct studies from if the student is more comfortable with that..... 
I have trouble reading from KJV though because today we don't use that particular brand of speaking. lol

 

I'm also from the Bible belt, people here are most people hold the KJV in high esteem.

I was always under the impression that the NWT was the authoritatve version for JWs.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2018 at 2:06 AM, reformed baptist said:

 

Wouldn't everyone be in jail if that was the case?

No, there would be an immediate incentive to be honest.  Truly, there is that but the idiots in and outside the Church write YHWH off as immaterial and often sweeking to impune those of us that live as pure a life as we can manage for the sakeof our Master and oh, how they despise Him being the Master.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, Innerfire89 said:

Depending on how much damage is done by the lie they can be sued for slander and possibly end up in jail. But liars will get what's coming to them when on judgment day.

Much more, the simplest lie, unrepentant, will send any Being into the Eternal Fire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Barbara said:

I know people hate us (JW's). Jesus told us we would be hated. No surprises there....

 

Hi Barbara, I hope that's not true, of at least most true Christians anyway. I know I don't "hate" JW's, whether they are family members, friends, or the ones that used to ring my doorbell. I've typically found JW's (and LDS for that matter), to be both kind and reasonable people (so much so in the case of the JW's at my door that I've invited them in a couple of times to talk).

 

That said, if you guys are truly "Christian", then that means that we cannot be (and visa versa). While I do not hate you for believing what you do, I do believe the absolute best that can be said of many of the Watchtower's teachings/doctrines, especially in the areas of Christology & soteriology (and theology in general), is that they are deceptive. I hope you will continue to search for the truth about God and salvation, because if you believe what the Watchtower is teaching, I also believe you are trusting both a teaching and an organization that has been proven to be wrong.

 

--David
p.s. - my local JW's must consider me a lost cause, because they no longer come to my door to talk, or even to leave literature, though I assure you that I was never anything but cordial when I was talking to them in the past.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Bill Taylor said:

No, there would be an immediate incentive to be honest.  Truly, there is that but the idiots in and outside the Church write YHWH off as immaterial and often sweeking to impune those of us that live as pure a life as we can manage for the sakeof our Master and oh, how they despise Him being the Master.

We all lie, and we all lie to ourselves every single day, Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?" - every time we think more of ourselves then we should, every time we think we are better then we are and so on we have born false witness - we would all be in jail. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, David Lee said:

p.s. - my local JW's must consider me a lost cause, because they no longer come to my door to talk, or even to leave literature, though I assure you that I was never anything but cordial when I was talking to them in the past.

Same here - used to be we would chat for about hour when one came round, nowadays I see those same people passing by my house and making a little note in their book. Interestingly whilst I have been called 'a minister of Satan' as a baptist pastor I have always tried to be reasonable. 

 

It is easy to dismiss a person and their arguments for any number of reasons (hate is a common one) especially when that person is seeking to tell us the truth about something we love dearly - but here is the thing. I believe that those who are not true followers of Jesus Christ face an eternity in hell - surely it would be hateful of me not to warn JWs and others of the danger I believe them to be in. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

We all lie, and we all lie to ourselves every single day, Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?" - every time we think more of ourselves then we should, every time we think we are better then we are and so on we have born false witness - we would all be in jail. 

 

It particularly pains me to see any sort of a Christian surrender to Satan but another Baptist?  And I have held my tongue until you opened with an attack, shame on you!  We do not all intentionally commit any sin as your dishonest attack implies.  That is not true of the long term saved... if they are saved they have pierced their Spiritual Ear and do their immediate Spiritual Best to live obediently because we have submitted to our Master!

 

Now, the matter I have been so uncomfortably quiet about.  I have no idea what a Reformed Baptist is but I am absolutely certain they have no truck with Conservative, Fundamental; Southern Baptists, American Baptists nor Missionary Baptists, all of us know the lack of a Capital Letter on the titles of our faith is the same as spelling YHWH as yhwh and they are both influenced by the ungodly slack teachings of Satan and his worms.

 

You might want to download the free e-Sword Bible Study Program, load it with a few of the free Bibles and the free copy of the Nave's Topical Study Bible and begin to learn about the people that will end up in the Eternal Lake of Fire and how to avoid being one of them.

Share this post


Link to post

It is easy to forget how much we ourselves have lied to ourselves and others in our lifetime. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+3%3A10-18&version=KJV

 

Therefore verse 13 applies to each one of us. I have recently been convicted of how much of an serial omitter of truth I had been, justifying its use for self protection each time. A half-truth is still a lie.  https://www.compellingtruth.org/sin-of-omission.html

Therefore if a single lie is enough for a jail sentence each one of us would be in jail. 

Share this post


Link to post

The original post was regarding lies told by someone about others...... We know that Satan is the father of the lie, so if one lies on another, or bares false witness, it is deserving of punishment.

(Proverbs 19:5) . . .A false witness will not go unpunished, And the one who lies with every breath will not escape. . .


The heart condition of a person either gives rise to the truth or they will lie. 

(Colossians 3:9, 10) . . .Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Bill Taylor said:

It particularly pains me to see any sort of a Christian surrender to Satan but another Baptist?  And I have held my tongue until you opened with an attack, shame on you!  We do not all intentionally commit any sin as your dishonest attack implies.  That is not true of the long term saved... if they are saved they have pierced their Spiritual Ear and do their immediate Spiritual Best to live obediently because we have submitted to our Master!

 

Now, the matter I have been so uncomfortably quiet about.  I have no idea what a Reformed Baptist is but I am absolutely certain they have no truck with Conservative, Fundamental; Southern Baptists, American Baptists nor Missionary Baptists, all of us know the lack of a Capital Letter on the titles of our faith is the same as spelling YHWH as yhwh and they are both influenced by the ungodly slack teachings of Satan and his worms.

 

You might want to download the free e-Sword Bible Study Program, load it with a few of the free Bibles and the free copy of the Nave's Topical Study Bible and begin to learn about the people that will end up in the Eternal Lake of Fire and how to avoid being one of them.

Bill, 

 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'an attack' nor am I entirely sure how to respond to your post so I'll let some of it go :classic_cool:

 

I am of the opinion that we are all works in progress, by God's grace there will come a time when we are conformed to the image of Christ, but until then the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak - if Peter could play the hypocrite (Gal 2:11-21) then I would be foolish to think otherwise of myself. In Col 3:9 Paul urges his readers to not lie to each other - that suggests that we are not just still capable of deceit, but that actually it is a very real temptation for us to face. I'm not going to make into heaven because I no longer sin, I am going to make it into heaven because Jesus Christ has paid for all my sin. 

 

As for a reformed baptist - historically we are better known as Particular Baptists and American Baptist groups all trace their origin through us. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Barbara said:

The original post was regarding lies told by someone about others...... We know that Satan is the father of the lie, so if one lies on another, or bares false witness, it is deserving of punishment.

(Proverbs 19:5) . . .A false witness will not go unpunished, And the one who lies with every breath will not escape. . .


The heart condition of a person either gives rise to the truth or they will lie. 

(Colossians 3:9, 10) . . .Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

 

Barbara, 

 

What about when one's whole doctrine is based upon lies told by another - how should we respond to that kind of thing? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

Barbara, 

 

What about when one's whole doctrine is based upon lies told by another - how should we respond to that kind of thing? 

 

 

As the subject matter is regarding lies told by someone about another person, the short answer is simply, lies are wrong and the one doing so should be held accountable.... The subject of this original post is not about the correctness of ones doctrine. And IF one relies on scripture regarding said "lie" topic, then there should actually be no problem here.
Scripture is emphatic regarding the lie and the one originally responsible for such.

Share this post


Link to post

I said:

6 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

Barbara, 

 

What about when one's whole doctrine is based upon lies told by another - how should we respond to that kind of thing? 

To which you replied

2 hours ago, Barbara said:

As the subject matter is regarding lies told by someone about another person, the short answer is simply, lies are wrong and the one doing so should be held accountable....

 

I believe my post was entirely in line with the OP. If the false doctrine propagated by the person I mentioned is to do with the person of Jesus Christ for example - is that not a lie about another person?

 

Quote

The subject of this original post is not about the correctness of ones doctrine.

I never said it was - I merely asked a question by extension! How should we deal with the person who lies about Jesus Christ. I am not necessarily talking about the person taken in by the lie - but I am talking about the one who propagates the lie.
 

Quote

 

And IF one relies on scripture regarding said "lie" topic, then there should actually be no problem here.

Scripture is emphatic regarding the lie and the one originally responsible for such.

 

Ah yes, but we are talking about 'the lie' are we? 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Topics

    • New Book Refutes Official Story About Thai Cave Rescue. The Truth Is More Disturbing

      By Chris White - The story behind the effort to rescue children stuck in Thai cave in 2018 is more disturbing than the tale government officials told the parents of the kids, according to a new book discussing the mission. Members of the Wild Boars soccer team were not trained to dive and swim in a buddy system out of the cave, ABC Australia Southeast Asia reporter Liam Cochrane claims in his new book, “The Cave.” Instead, they were drugged, handcuffed, and carried out of the winding tunnel. “To calm nerves, the parents were told the boys were being taught how to dive and the media reported that each of them would be tethered to an air hose and then swim out with one rescue diver in front and another behind,” Cochrane writes in his book. “This was untrue.” Media shared images demonstrating how the 12 boys dressed in wetsuits and flippers would swim through the labyrinth tethered to expert divers. But the divers responsible for rescuing the children knew that such a plan would not work given the level of expertise required for the trip. “Those who’d been inside the flooded tunnels knew there was no way a child who had never dived before could make it through the muddy and treacherous obstacle course,” Cochrane writes. “The only hope was to sedate them, put oxygen-fed masks with silicone seals over their faces and let the expert cave divers carry them out.” One boy Cochrane called Note was one of the first members of the soccer team to be extracted. He was given a sedative, then injected in each leg with ketamine, an anesthesia, by Australian cave diver, Dr. Richard Harris, until the 14-year-old boy fell into unconsciousness. Note was then put into a diving suit, had an air tank strapped to his chest, and a small full-face mask fitted. He began breathing normally within a half a minute, after which the divers handcuffed the boy to prevent him from ripping at his mask. The boys were later treated for dehydration, malnutrition, oxygen deprivation and other conditions. Doctors at the hospital in Chiang Rai, where the boys were treated, monitored the kids for symptoms of diseases caused by animals and fungi in the cave. The cave rescue itself became a source of controversy after tech entrepreneur Elon Musk called British diver Vernon Unsworth, who assisted in the rescue, a pedophile. Musk was upset after the veteran diver called a submarine Silicon Valley billionaire’s team developed a “PR stunt.” Musk tweeted on July 6 that he was sending engineers from his companies SpaceX and The Boring Co. to assist in the rescue in any way that they could. The Tesla CEO later apologized. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] New Book Refutes Official Story About Thai Cave Rescue. The Truth Is More Disturbing is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

      in Political Conservative News

    • Why people do not believe in Christ

      Jesus in John  5 explains why. It is because His word does not dwell in them, for He has not given them to know God and Christ by making them born of God. John 5::21 "For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will." Luke 10:22 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.”   and so then v40, they refuse to come to Christ so that they might have life. People in their natural state refuse Christ. The natural state is not of the Father, as they have not been born of God, they are alive only in their flesh.  Flesh gives life to flesh and Spirit to spirit. John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’    And they can not be saved as they do not seek the glory that comes from the one true God, meaning they really don't care or want anything to do with Christ. No one wants anything to do with Christ, unless they are first born of God.     36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me.  37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form,  38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent.  39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.   41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts.  43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.  44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? 45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set.  46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.  47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?

      in Soteriology and Reformation Theology

    • Is Reddit a bad forum site for religious people to be at?

      Hi. my names Dennis from sweden and im new to this forum. Since i turned 14, i considered myself as a christian. although i would say im more of a agnostic theist than a gnostic theist since im not 100%.     I've heard from a guy some years ago that big forums like reddit are bad for religious people because everyone there are hostile towards religion while religious people are a minority.    I dont know anything about reddit apart thats its a regular forum where you can talk about anything, similar to the swedish forum Flashback but is it true that Reddit are dominated by antitheists?   Im been exposed to antitheism by watching some of their videos on youtube like some guy named darkmatter or something that ends up insulting any religious people by classifying them as stupid or delusional, it sickens me how their subs applause them for it and it disgusts me just like any other intolerant movements.   Is there any religious people who can share their experience with reddit?

      in Off Topic Discussion

    • Confirmed: People Who Comment 'First!' Shall Be Last In Kingdom Of Heaven

      HEAVEN—A new report confirmed Monday that people who comment "first!" on articles shall be last in the Kingdom of Heaven. The post Confirmed: People Who Comment 'First!' Shall Be Last In Kingdom Of Heaven appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

      in Christian Satire

    • 'CSI' Launches Spinoff Where People Just Dig Through Old Tweets

      HOLLYWOOD, CA—An exciting new CSI series has just been announced by producer Jerry Bruckheimer that follows a team of Twitter forensics experts who bring down high-profile villains by searching through their Twitter history using the latest in politically incorrect Tweet-seeking technology. The post 'CSI' Launches Spinoff Where People Just Dig Through Old Tweets appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

      in Christian Satire

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.