The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Strebe

I think people who do not tell the truth

I think people who lie about people should go to jail. Because the person did nothing wrong to them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Depending on how much damage is done by the lie they can be sued for slander and possibly end up in jail. But liars will get what's coming to them when on judgment day.

• Like 3
  • Best Answer 1

I think people who lie about people should go to jail. Because the person did nothing wrong to them.
I think you've just destroyed most of the media, gossip magazines, and the profession of spin doctor :) (Wouldn't that be nice?)

Sadly, gossip, slander, and libel are things that were a problem even in Biblical times, and there are many prohibitions against it (Leviticus 19:16, Romans 1:28-32). It doesn't stop a certain group, in my experience often older women with too much time on their hands although there are exceptions, from stirring drama up for the sake of it. If you wanted to jail them though, evidence for a court case can be a real problem. The Bible offers one solution:

Proverbs 20:19 Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler.

• Like 3

What does the bible say on the subject matter? First  liar....

Original/first lie....

(Genesis 3:4) At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die."

Satan, in effect, here call God a liar and challenged his rulership with said lie.....insinuating God was withholding good from man and thereby insinuating that self rule away from the Almighty would benefit them more.... It's called disobedience to their creators commands......
Others who willfully choose to lie and disobey.....

(John 8:44) . . .You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie.
To what end/result?

(Genesis 3:16-19) . . .To the woman he said: “I will greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in pain you will give birth to children, and your longing will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.” 17 And to Adam he said: “Because you listened to your wife’s voice and ate from the tree concerning which I gave you this command, ‘You must not eat from it,’ cursed is the ground on your account. In pain you will eat its produce all the days of your life. 18 It will grow thorns and thistles for you, and you must eat the vegetation of the field. 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

Solution......

(Matthew 6:9:10) “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.
Living by Godly standards IS the solution...

As to those who disobey.....

(Romans 12:19) . . .Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.”

On 3/26/2018 at 3:06 AM, reformed baptist said:

Wouldn't everyone be in jail if that was the case?

Not everyone....

2 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

We have all told lies haven't we? 

Not since becoming a baptized servant of the Almighty....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Wow - that's quite a claim! 

By the way, you haven't answered my question about what Bible version your using 

3 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

What Bible version are you quoting from please? 

I use NWT.... What "version" would you prefer?

If you rather King James.....

Matthew 6:9, 10 King James Version (KJV)

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Romans 12:19 King James Version (KJV)

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Never miss the point.
(2 Timothy 3:16, 17) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbara said:

I use NWT.... What "version" would you prefer?

If you rather King James.....

Matthew 6:9, 10 King James Version (KJV)

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Romans 12:19 King James Version (KJV)

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Never miss the point.
(2 Timothy 3:16, 17) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

Welcome to Christforums.

The NWT is not a version of the the Bible, or a transaltion, but an interpretation,  which is interpreted specifically to reject the Trinity.

This is the first I've ever heard of a Jehovah witness who accepts other versions of the Bible, maybe thats a new thing among JWs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barbara said:

Yes I am.....

Hello there. 

How do you view the WatchTower Organization's ability to change JW teachings, predictions and policies when it is in the best interest of your church? Do you view that as dishonest or permissible?

3 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

Welcome to Christforums.

The NWT is not a version of the the Bible, or a transaltion, but an interpretation,  which is interpreted specifically to reject the Trinity.

This is the first I've ever heard of a Jehovah witness who accepts other versions of the Bible, maybe thats a new thing among JWs.

I am very surprised at that too. KJV supporting websites are extremely good resources for showing clear differences between the bible and JW's "version". 

One interesting issue is the unreliability due to questionable qualifications.  http://www.forananswer.org/Top_JW/Scholars and NWT.htm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

Welcome to Christforums.

Most JWs accept the AV as an imperfect version of scripture 

15 hours ago, Barbara said:

As to those who disobey.....

(Romans 12:19) . . .Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.”

I'm interested in this interpretation of Rom 12:19, the Greek reads: 

Μὴ ἑαυτοὺς ἐκδικοῦντες, ἀγαπητοί, ἀλλὰ δότε τόπον τῇ ὀργῇ· γέγραπται γάρ, Ἐμοὶ ἐκδίκησις, ἐγὼ ἀνταποδώσω, λέγει κύριος.(Rom 12:19 BYZ)

I am wondering why you favour 'Jehovah' over 'Lord' as most translations use?

In fact 'Jehovah' is an interesting word to consider, most assume it is a English transliteration of the unpronounceable tetragrammaton יהוה - of course it isn't, a literal transliteration would be YHWH - the word 'Jehovah' comes from a transliteration of יהוה (with the vowel sounds of אָדוֹן used to make it pronounceable) into Latin (Lehouah) - properly transliterated into English that would be, "Yehowah"  (pronounced YahWeh) 

The history is actually quite interesting, by the 2nd century BC the Jews avoided the pronunciation of יהוה preferring to replace the name of God with the word אָדוֹן (Adonai). It was the Masorites that  he added the vowel points from אָדוֹן to יהוה that made this transliteration possible. Though Tyndale propularise dthe word Jehovah - this is why most modern translations do not use it but go for 'Lord' or 'LORD' and considering Paul's training and upbringing I would be very surprised if in his letter he intended κύριος to be read as יהוה

On 3/24/2018 at 9:52 AM, Strebe said:

that would sure make people think twice if they knew their lies would come back to bite them in the same manner they wanted to see an innocent person harmed

On 3/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, Innerfire89 said:

Depending on how much damage is done by the lie they can be sued for slander and possibly end up in jail. But liars will get what's coming to them when on judgment day.

true - but one thing that can help people with no conscience choose to do the right thing is to have appropriate consequences for doing the wrong thing

especially for lying about others - that is almost equal to murder - because lying can ruin an innocent person's reputation at the least - or their life at the most 

Edited by Truthfrees

On 3/24/2018 at 9:52 AM, Strebe said:

On 3/26/2018 at 1:06 AM, reformed baptist said:

Wouldn't everyone be in jail if that was the case?

16 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

We have all told lies haven't we? 

i think the op was meaning lying about other people - bearing false witness - 

i think it takes an especially jealous or hateful person to lie about another person

or in oppressive countries the threat of torture /death / etc can make people lie about innocent people

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

Most JWs accept the AV as an imperfect version of scripture 

Hi Becky.... Honest men have put forth great effort throughout modern history, to get the scriptures into the hands of the general public, and I, for one, am ever so grateful for their earnest efforts... I  enjoy the reading of many different bibles.
I use many bibles to reference and study, and yes including NWT.
KJV

NKJ
ASV
AMP

Byington

Douay–Rheims Bible

Kingdom Interlinear
and others.

I do not attack others for their beliefs and am saddened when others stoop to name calling.

I was raised in South Eastern USA as Southern Baptist. One of my uncles was a minister and it was our way to be always at church on Sunday am, pm, and Wednesday evenings....
I married into the Catholic faith and converted so my husband would not be excommunicated. I began searching for answers when my husband abandoned me during the first 6 months of our marriage and I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter in 1970.... it certainly gave me reason for pause!
I became a baptized witness in January of 2007 after much searching and study. Between 1970 and 2007 I was in searching everywhere for truth. I attended so many churches and enjoyed friendships with many of varied faiths so I am not a 15 year old child who has been tricked into anything. I have been earnest in my search and I am now content with my findings and my decision. I am glad that others find what they seek, what ever that might be.
I know people hate us (JW's). Jesus told us we would be hated. No surprises there....
I also know that we are all free moral agents, at liberty to accept and reject what ever we determine is best for us as we see fit. So when I speak to others, especially here in our area, I relate well because of my own background. We generally find common ground and build relationships from there.
Mainly though, I do not preach or teach anyone from by using my own thinking and accord and ideas. I base my answers to others and my reasoning on the bible....as did the Christ when he responded, "it is written"....
Thank you for being considerate toward me. You actions bespeak your heart condition. 

(Matthew 12:34) . . .For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

17 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

Most of us use many bibles to do our studies.... If someone is more comfortable using KJV, (which is true here in the bible belt) then that is the bible I conduct studies from if the student is more comfortable with that..... 
I have trouble reading from KJV though because today we don't use that particular brand of speaking. lol

Staff

The Scripture quote is:

Mat 12:34  O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 

Staff
20 hours ago, Barbara said:

One can not  be a Christian while denying the Deity of Christ . That would be a lie. 

• Like 4
  • Best Answer 1