The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Reports of In-Flight Problems May Stem from Cultural Change: Navy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• 6 Ways Cross-Cultural Church Planting Has Been Good for Our Kids

When we recently unpacked our boxes in suburban Denver, it was into my daughters’ third home. But not only their third home, their third country. Third continent, actually. Third culture, third language, third way of life, third new beginning. Though my husband and I are Colorado natives, we’d been gone a long time, and our kids had never lived here. As we met our new neighbors, they were either awestruck or incredulous. We heard, “Wow, what a great experience for your kids!” But also, “How sad. Didn’t you want them to have roots somewhere?” Even those who did respond positively would often quietly whisper their concern: “How do you think they’re handling it?” By the time we moved back to the States with a gaggle of teens and preteens, we’d lived out the spectrum of great joys and deep sorrows in cross-cultural church planting. The joy of new believers and baptisms and discipleship was tempered by sorrow over our girls being bullied for being different. Not to mention the long, hard days in foreign schools with vastly different values from our own. The skeptical neighbors weren’t wrong. Our kids didn’t have roots, at least not in the traditional sense. Instead, their roots are global, established in the soil of the Great Commission. When we left America to make disciples of all nations, we trusted that Jesus would be with us always (Matt. 28:18–20). This promise was our bedrock then, and still is now. He’s proven faithful to us and our children time and again. Cross-cultural church planting—though not without its challenges—has ultimately been a great gift to us. Here are six things our kids—and our whole family—have learned. 1. Empathy Our girls spent their formative years being “other.” They didn’t grasp the language, the inside jokes, or the nursery rhymes. But one beautiful gift of being an outsider is that you gain empathy for those who have known nothing else. Overseas, they befriended the boy with autism, the girl whose parents neglected her, the Roma outcast. In our church plant in Denver, they’re aware of visitors, kids new to youth group, and those hurting at school. God has given them compassionate hearts (Col. 3:12) toward outsiders, because they have walked in their shoes. 2. Christianity Is Diverse and Global Having been a part of the church on three continents, our kids know that Christianity is not exclusively white and Western. They’ve participated in worship services ranging from wildly expressive to barely audible. They’ve experienced everything from high liturgy to flip-flops in the sanctuary. They know that within orthodoxy, there’s a lot of room for difference. They’ve glimpsed God’s work in a variety of tribes, tongues, and peoples (Rev. 7:9). 3. Where to Put Their Confidence When I asked my girls to list some blessings from cross-cultural church planting, they all immediately said something like, “I’m brave,” or “I’m flexible,” or “I know God will help me.” Their faith has been stretched—as has ours. They know we’ve only been willing to do hard things because God has enabled us to do so. They’ve labored in prayer and experienced Jesus with us in all the places we’ve called home.  4. The Church Is Family Our children have known firsthand the truth of Christ’s promise: “Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold” (Matt. 19:29). While it’s true no one can fill the shoes of our kids’ biological grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins, God did provide a hundredfold. Other church planters and local Christians became aunties and uncles to my girls. We had friends we could call in the middle of the night, and brothers and sisters who laid down their lives for us. Our kids didn’t lack relational support overseas, because God was faithful. 5. Home Is Not Here As a family, we have a sense that there’s no true home for us here on earth. No matter where we are, we feel a bit homesick—this awareness that we aren’t really home, we don’t really fit. With Paul, we say, “our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Phil. 3:20). One day we will enter our real home, where we will share a deep and unblemished connection with all who are gathered there. 6. Unity in Mission Fosters Joy Here’s perhaps the best gift: Being on mission together has fostered great joy in our family. In each country we’ve felt and prayed Paul’s words: “We were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us” (1 Thess. 2:8). Our kids have truly partnered with us in loving nonbelievers and shining the light of Christ in dark places. This unity in mission has drawn us close to one another as we’ve labored and celebrated together. In the early years of church planting, a mentor shared wise words with my husband and me: “Never sacrifice your family for the mission, but do sacrifice as a family for the mission.” There have been sacrifices. Our kids have paid a price. All cross-cultural church planters must count the cost. Not every family can move overseas. Many are called to irreplaceable roles in their hometowns and local churches. But for those who sense that cross-cultural church planting might be for them, know this: Sacrificing as a family for the mission is costly, but Christ is worth it. Jesus will provide a hundredfold—to you and to your children. He will indeed be with you, in every nation, to the end of the age. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• CNN Reports A Grisly Scene Near The Border Hours After Jim Acosta Took A Selfie Video Boasting Of Tranquility

By Tim Pearce - Mexican authorities discovered five abandoned vehicles and at least 20 bodies at a rural location 56 miles west of McAllen, Texas, Wednesday, CNN reported. News of the discovery came just hours after CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta reported on the area’s apparent safety and tranquility. “We’re not seeing any kind of imminent danger. There are no migrants trying to rush toward this fence here in the McAllen, Texas, area,” Acosta said on a video posted to his Twitter account Thursday. “No sign of the national emergency that [President Donald Trump] has been talking about. As a matter of fact, it’s pretty tranquil down here.” Acosta posted a follow-up video a couple of hours later to point out that McAllen’s border wall only covered a short distance, and he said that “a lot of the residents we talked to say this is a very safe community and they don’t see migrants coming into their community causing a lot of crime and mayhem.” WATCH: Mexican federal police found four burnt-out trucks, a sedan and the bodies, most of them charred, in a rural community near the town of Miguel Aleman, authorities told CNN. The grisly scene appeared to be the result of a battle between rival gangs, Tamaulipas Attorney General Irving Barrios Mojica told Carmen Aristegui, who works for CNN and hosts a radio show in Mexico. CNN reported on the incident Thursday evening. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] CNN Reports A Grisly Scene Near The Border Hours After Jim Acosta Took A Selfie Video Boasting Of Tranquility is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Top Democrat On New Climate Change Panel Lays Out Her First Priority. It’s Not Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’

By Michael Bastasch - The House Democrat tapped to chair the new climate change panel previewed her first big legislative pushes, and it’s not the “Green New Deal” being pushed by the progressive wing of her party. The Select Committee on the Climate Crisis will push for legislation on fuel economy standards “right off the bat,” the chairwoman, Florida Rep. Kathy Castor, said in an interview published Thursday. “Right off the bat, we will tackle fuel economy standards, make sure the Commerce Committee and the (Transportation and Infrastructure Committee) are focused on that,” Castor told USA Today. “The Financial Services Committee has to do a flood insurance reform bill. We will be involved in that as well,” Castor said. Castor’s likely goal is to shepherd legislation to undo the Trump administration’s rolling back of Obama-era fuel economy standards that were meant to cut carbon dioxide emissions. Flood insurance reform is a goal of Democrats worried about damaging sea level rise. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the creation of a special House climate committee in December. The committee doesn’t have the authority to introduce legislation or issue subpoenas, much to the chagrin of “Green New Deal” supporters. More than 40 House Democrats back the “Green New Deal” championed by New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, which calls for a climate committee to draft sweeping climate legislation. That committee would be responsible for drafting legislation to move the U.S. to 100 percent renewable energy over a 10-year period and put in place a slew of social welfare programs, including universal health care and job guarantees. Ocasio-Cortez proposed financing her climate agenda by raising top marginal tax rates as high as 70 percent, but even substantially higher income taxes wouldn’t likely yield the trillions of dollars needed to finance a Green New Deal. Environmentalists, Democratic influencers and 2020 presidential hopefuls, including Vermont Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders and New Jersey Democratic Sen. Cory Booker, support the Green New Deal proposal. However, not all Democrats support the Green New Deal, including New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. Pallone and other committee chairs worry a Green New Deal panel would only delay getting climate legislation to the floor. Pallone also questioned whether or not the ultimate goal of the Green New Deal — a 100 percent renewable-powered economy — is even feasible. “This is something that we should take a look at, but some of it may not be technologically or politically feasible,” Pallone said in a radio interview Tuesday. “I don’t want to just lay a groundwork for something that might happen in five or ten years and just talk about it. I want to actually get things done,” Pallone said. “So we kind of have to convince them to take some action on climate even though they may deny it.” Follow Michael on Facebook and Twitter

Click here for reuse options!
      Copyright 2019 Daily Caller News Foundation Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]
      Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Top Democrat On New Climate Change Panel Lays Out Her First Priority. It’s Not Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’ is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

• RNC Committeeman Calls For Rule Change To Protect Trump From 2020 Primary Challenger

By Henry Rodgers - A Republican National Committee (RNC) committeeman sent an email out to fellow members asking for an amendment to existing rules which would guarantee President Donald Trump become the presumptive GOP nominee in 2020 Wednesday. RNC National Committeeman for the Virgin Islands, Jevon O.A. Williams, sent the email to RNC members, obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation, just hours after The Washington Post published an op-ed by Utah Republican Senator-elect Mitt Romney, which bashed Trump and his presidency. Williams said in order to close “loopholes in the re-nomination campaign” the RNC should change the rules at their winter meeting in January, making Trump the Republican nominee, so that no one in the party could run against him in the 2020 presidential campaign. “Imagine my surprise when I read the junior senator-elect from Utah’s unprecedented rebuke of President Donald J. Trump in an op-ed on the pages of The Washington Post that ran before he was even sworn into office. I couldn’t believe this was coming from our party’s 2012 nominee, who, despite differences in politics, still professes to be a Republican. With Republicans like him who needs Democrats,” Williams said in the email to RNC members. Williams said the rules in place do not take into account an incumbent president running for re-election, saying the proposed resolution would “declare” him the 2020 Republican presidential nominee. “I am asking for your support to take the unprecedented step of amending the rules to close loopholes in the re-nomination campaign, including Rule 40. These rules, as I read them and has been reported in the press, didn’t take into account an incumbent president running for re-election,” Williams continued. “Beyond a rules amendment, I also ask for your support of a resolution declaring the RNC’s unanimous and unequivocal endorsement of President Trump for re-nomination. This resolution would also declare him the presumptive nominee in 2020. I intend for both of these items to be acted upon at the winter meeting later this month, including, if necessary, by suspending the rules to take up this business,” he concluded. Hours later, RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, Romney’s niece, responded to his op-ed which criticized Trump, saying his “attack” in the op-ed is “disappointing and unproductive.” Trump responded to the op-ed early Wednesday morning, saying he hope Romney won’t be a “Flake” in the Senate, also saying “I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!” Romney will be sworn in as the next senator from Utah Thursday. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] RNC Committeeman Calls For Rule Change To Protect Trump From 2020 Primary Challenger is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

• Mary: the biblical woman behind the cultural legend

What does the Bible tell us about Mary, the mother of Jesus?   More...

in Bible Study

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.