The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
News Feeder

Is Christianity Dying Out in Europe? One Orthodox Leader Says ‘Yes!’

Metropolitan Hilarion, the Moscow Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church, has warned that Christianity is dying out in Europe and being replaced with secular ideology.

More...

Christianity will never die out completely. Even in past times of persecution -- there's always been a remnant to continue spreading the Gospel of salvation. We All need to take a positive stand for God / His Word.

• Like 2

Metropolitan Hilarion, the Moscow Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church, has warned that Christianity is dying out in Europe and being replaced with secular ideology.

More...

I would say this is quite obvious to me from what I see here in the UK.. So I believe his claim,

Muslim's have a higher child rate about 4 fold more than the white majority, Muslim's tend to be very conservative handing down their religion to their children & if they don't follow there is serious consequences.. Atheism is on the rise within the white working class, and is something most people see as 'cool' with it's pro science stance... We can blame liberalism again for this.

• Like 2

More...

Have I just woken from a 40-year slumber? (in other words, this is very old "news")

• Like 1

Have I just woken from a 40-year slumber? (in other words, this is very old "news")

And yet it is still alive.

• Like 2

And yet it is still alive.

And always will be, by God's hand; however, the percentage of evangelical Christians in Europe is extremely small in contrast with its recent past.

• Like 1

And always will be, by God's hand; however, the percentage of evangelical Christians in Europe is extremely small in contrast with its recent past.

Yeah, that's too bad it is shrinking like that. Not good.

• Like 1

Doesn't Scripture say that That is what's going to be happening in the end times -- that there will be a falling away from God's Word. We're seeing it happening. Then again -- we went through the Depression years -- well -- that was a couple of generations back. But there have been very bleak times in past history. It's been stated that the end times will be like a woman going through labor pains -- they get stronger and more frequent as time passes until Finally the baby emerges. Just as the body feels like it's going to explode.

• Like 1

Doesn't Scripture say that That is what's going to be happening in the end times -- that there will be a falling away from God's Word. We're seeing it happening. Then again -- we went through the Depression years -- well -- that was a couple of generations back. But there have been very bleak times in past history. It's been stated that the end times will be like a woman going through labor pains -- they get stronger and more frequent as time passes until Finally the baby emerges. Just as the body feels like it's going to explode.

The Scriptures do sound like there will be a falling away during the end times and there will always be a remnant remaining.

• Like 1

Staff

I think of Europe being primarily Catholic. Lemme get this straight, Catholicism ushers in secular ideology and other religions and then worries about its own destruction?

God bless,

William

• Like 3

I think of Europe being primarily Catholic. Lemme get this straight, Catholicism ushers in secular ideology and other religions and then worries about its own destruction?

God bless,

William

They want their cake and eat it too.

• Like 1

They want their cake and eat it too.

That could almost apply to the U.S.A. -- we want to be able to what we want to do with whomever we want to do it with but with no negative side affects -- -maybe the continual wild fires and the hurricane season being so severe this year -- God is displaying His wrath upon us. People Are showing that they can be there for each other, People have come to Christ as a result of some of the volunteers sharing Christ with them.

My brother has lived in his little piece of Paradise on P.R. beaches in San Juan. We just heard from him yesterday via Face Book. His little piece of Paradise has been destroyed and he's in a shelter with Lots of other people -- every one is suffering. It has devolved from Paradise to h........those were his thoughts.

• Like 1

That could almost apply to the U.S.A. -- we want to be able to what we want to do with whomever we want to do it with but with no negative side affects -- -maybe the continual wild fires and the hurricane season being so severe this year -- God is displaying His wrath upon us. People Are showing that they can be there for each other, People have come to Christ as a result of some of the volunteers sharing Christ with them.

My brother has lived in his little piece of Paradise on P.R. beaches in San Juan. We just heard from him yesterday via Face Book. His little piece of Paradise has been destroyed and he's in a shelter with Lots of other people -- every one is suffering. It has devolved from Paradise to h........those were his thoughts.

Sorry to here about your brother's place. I agree, the US is also having many problems right now. I think these storms could be a judgment as well.

• Like 1

On the news today -- they were showing all the supplies sitting waiting to be used. It was complicated getting the supplies to the people. The infra-structure of the island is all but destroyed. One of the guys being interviewed was almost in tears -- because of the conditions of the roads, etc. he wished he could deliver the goods himself. It was just so slow -- but it was getting to those in need -- and the need is dire.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, Christforums said:

More...

Well, Eastern-Orthodoxy seems to be dying out a little in Eastern-Europe, and is being replaced with Evangelical sub-denominations.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Well, Eastern-Orthodoxy seems to be dying out a little in Eastern-Europe, and is being replaced with Evangelical sub-denominations.

In Finland, the small but strong (having an official status along with the Lutheran Church) Eastern-Orthodox Church has been increasing in number lately. I don't know if there has been any researches why this has happened, but I think some lutherans have converted to the Orthodox Church because it is more conservative. If I remember correctly, this phenomenon started about the same time when women priesthood was accepted in the Lutheran church.

• Like 2

People are running to and fro and knowledge is increasing. So is disillusionment. I think it started in the 30s during the depression. My grandmother and mother were fully Christian but they never went to church. I think they felt the churches suffered from churchianity. They both displayed Christian verses on their walls, but I can't remember them ever reading the Bible. Looking back, I think they were just confused on what Christ expected of them. They sure let down on not encouraging their children to go to church. I think the older established institutions are being called out for their errors.

7053.gif

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Number of Witches in the U.S. Soars as Millennials Reject Christianity, Claims Newsweek

Media site NewsBusters.org says that a Newsweek article claiming the number of witches in the U.S. is climbing while millennials reject Christianity isn’t accurate. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Church Politely Asks Worship Leader To Stop Smashing Guitar Every Time He Plays 'Reckless Love'

REDONDO BEACH, CA—In a special disciplinary meeting, church leaders were forced to ask worship leader Mike "Soundhole" Johnson to stop smashing the church guitar every time he gets to the bridge on popular worship song "Reckless Love." The post Church Politely Asks Worship Leader To Stop Smashing Guitar Every Time He Plays 'Reckless Love' appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• 4 Marks of a Potential Bible Study Leader

There were tears in many eyes as Barbara, always an encourager, told us how much we had meant to her. It was our group’s last meeting of the year, and Barbara was moving away. Before she came to our church, she had never been involved in a women’s Bible study, but her wisdom and love for the Scriptures had been evident. Over the years, Barbara became a small group leader and then a Bible teacher, connecting with women in our church through her warmth and transparency. In Dubai, we have a women’s Bible study leadership problem. Dubai isn’t a place where people stay. It’s a stopover—an exciting and profitable place to be for a while. We regularly have to say goodbye to leaders. To keep our program running, we need to reload each year. Maybe you’ve had to say goodbye to your share of Barbaras too. Whether your leaders are moving away, having babies, or taking a semester off, your church—like ours—frequently needs new women’s Bible study leaders. Here are four things we’ve learned to look for. 1. Committed to the Church The church is the bride of Christ. One day, she’ll be presented to Christ “in radiance like a most rare jewel” (Rev. 21:11). Bible study is one of the means God can use to polish the jewel. Therefore, women’s Bible study shouldn’t be independent from the church but should build it up. This is why we look for women who are committed to the church. They already have ministries among women: encouraging others, sharing the gospel, spending time together. These women know others in the church. The elders know them and send other women their way. They’re Titus 2 women, training others in the warp and woof of life. Naomi is a good example. The mother of three almost-grown children, she surrounds herself with women. She gives them rides to church. She meets with them during the week. One young woman who needed a place to live moved in with Naomi and has lived with her for the past eight years. Women join our church and grow spiritually because of Naomi’s influence. Bible study leaders who commit themselves to the church have fruitful ministries beyond the weekly meetings. They’re like glue that holds people together. They unify women and build up the entire church. 2. Delights in the Scriptures One of the most exciting things about women’s Bible study is watching women get a taste for Scripture and crave more. They’re no longer content with just studying the passage for the week. They start looking up every cross reference listed in their Bibles. We want every woman in Bible study to show these signs of savoring the Scriptures. Don’t you? This happens as the Holy Spirit works through God’s powerful Word, and it happens through contagious leaders. Love and delight can’t really be taught. It must be caught. Our leaders should be women intent on understanding the meaning of texts and serious about applying them to their lives. A good leader’s affection for God’s Word also means she is constantly learning and studying it herself. She’s eager to grow in her knowledge and wants to share it with others. I think of Ranjini, an empty-nester with a full-time job. In addition to leading a small group, she meets regularly with unbelievers to study the Bible and leads her employees in devotionals at work. She’s constantly strategizing about how to get women studying the Word and understanding it more deeply. The Bible describes itself as “sweeter than honey” (Ps. 119:103), “more to be desired . . . than gold, even much fine gold” (Ps. 19:10). Leaders who delight in the Scriptures can encourage others to taste the honey they find sweetest and show them the treasure that truly satisfies. 3. Isn’t Afraid to Lead “All Scripture is breathed out by God” (2 Tim. 3:16). Every word is true. In Bible study, we use our minds in reliance on the Holy Spirit to understand the meaning the author of the passage intended. We then apply that truth to our hearts and lives. This means there are right and wrong interpretations of Scripture. In a group Bible study, we must not deteriorate into batting around what we feel the passage is saying. We search together for the truth. Our Bible study leaders shouldn’t be afraid to point to the text of Scripture to correct wrong answers. Anna is the most gracious woman I know. She’s a medical doctor and is beloved by her patients. She cares for others physically, emotionally, and spiritually, and they feel it. She also studies the Bible rigorously. She thinks deeply and doesn’t let untruths slide. Anna’s gentle but firm explanations of truth mean other women go to her for biblical answers. Certainly a leader shouldn’t be a lioness, ready to pounce on wrong answers. But Bible study leaders should be prepared to biblically explain why an answer is wrong and gently guide women toward the right answer. 4. Considers Her Ways Women who lead Bible studies become role models for other women in the church. It’s the nature of handling the Scriptures. So we should choose leaders who think biblically about being women, sisters, wives, mothers. friends, and neighbors. They should be women who know they’re sinners and apply God’s Word to their own hearts. Kate is a godly wife and deals gently and kindly with her children. She reaches out to neighbors and encourages friends. She thinks about what it means to follow Christ in all aspects of life and this thoughtfulness flows out of her as she counsels others in the church. Kate considers her ways. The Titus 2 woman “teaches what is good” and trains other women in the church “to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled” (vv. 4–5). In a Bible study, we “teach what is good.” And it’s the perfect opportunity to model the Christian life that comes out of a dedication to God’s Word. Saying goodbye isn’t easy. Barbara is irreplaceable. (So were Monica, Kim, Yuri, Sandhya, and others.) But as we wait on the Lord in prayer, we’re confident he will raise up the godly Bible study leaders we need and give us wisdom to find them. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• How Does Christianity Relate to Hinduism?

by Ravi Zacharias   I often think back with nostalgia to growing up in India and the late-night conversations we would have about a Hindu play or some event that featured Hindu thought. Now, through the lens of Jesus Christ, I have learned to see how deep seated culture and religion can be and how only the power of the Holy Spirit can reveal the error of an ingrained way of thinking. Consequently, whenever we speak with someone from another faith, it is essential to remember that we must not attempt to tear down another's belief system but rather to reveal the hungers of the human heart and the unique way in which Christ addresses them.   For the Hindu, karma--the moral law of cause-and-effect--is a life-defining concept. Life carries its moral bills, and they are paid in the cyclical pattern of rebirth until all dues are paid in full. Hinduism here conveys an inherited sense of wrong, which is lived out in the next life, in vegetable, animal, or human form. This doctrine is nonnegotiable in Hindu philosophy. Repercussions of fatalism (that is, whatever happens will happen) and the indifference to the plight of others are inescapable but are dismissed by philosophical platitudes that do not weigh out the consequences of such reasoning. Thus it is key to bear in mind that although karma is seen as a way of paying back, this payback is never complete; hence life is lived out paying back a debt that one cannot know in total but that must be paid in total. That is why the cross of Christ is so definitive and so complete. It offers forgiveness without minimizing the debt. When we truly understand that forgiveness, we develop a loving heart or gratitude. There is a full restoration--in this life and for eternity.   The Christian should also understand the attraction of pantheism, the Hindu view of seeing the divine in everything. It superficially appears more compatible with scientific theorizing because it presents no definitive theory of origins. Life is cyclical, without a first cause. Pantheism also gives one a moral reasoning, through karmic fatalism, that one is trapped in the cycle until one escapes, without the need to invoke God. But in the final analysis, it is without answers when one needs to talk about the deepest struggles of the soul. Hindu scholars even admit this in their creation of a path of bhakti (love, devotion) to satisfy the inescapable human hunger for worship.   It is here that a keen understanding is needed. Krishna's coming to earth as an avatar--that is, one of the incarnations of the Hindu god Vishnu--in a way brings "God to man." But a huge chasm still remains. How does one bring man to God? For this, there is only one way-- the way of the cross. A profound and studied presentation of the cross, and what it means, is still the most distinctive aspect of the Christian faith. Even Gandhi said it was the most unexplainable thing to him and was unparalleled. For the Christian, the cross of Jesus Christ is the message "first to the Jew, and also to the Greek" (Rm2:9)--to the moralist and the pantheist, to the religious and the irreligious. We can communicate this message with a Hindu acquaintance or friend only through a loving relationship. The love of Christ, a patient listening and friendship, and the message of forgiveness provide the path to evangelism.

in Apologetics and Theology

• Progressive Nonprofit Caught Trying To Conceal References To Its Employee, Unmasked Antifa Leader Joseph ‘Jose’ Alcoff

By Andrew Kerr - The progressive nonprofit organization that employs Antifa leader Joseph “Jose” Alcoff, who has advocated for the violent overthrow of the government, obscured references to the radical communist in its past press releases after Alcoff’s extreme ideology was exposed. Alcoff, 36, has made significant efforts to separate his true identity from his fanatical personas, “Chepe” and “Jose Martin,” which he uses to lead Antifa groups and promote radical communist rhetoric, The Daily Caller News Foundation revealed Tuesday night. As Alcoff, he advocates for reforms of predatory loans before members of Congress as payday campaign manager for Americans for Financial Reform (AFR). When speaking as Chepe and through his Twitter handle @sabokitty, Alcoff has called for the murder of the rich and encourages using violence to bring “a world without capitalism, without private property … that is socialist and communist.” He’s used his Jose Martin persona to promote socialism on MSNBC and on BBC radio programs. In July 2017, Alcoff urged his nonviolent followers on Twitter to “stop limiting yourself,” adding that “the left wins nothing w/ nonviolence.” He said it “feels good” to see Antifa’s “militant tactics” “mainstreamed” the following month. Alcoff is also an organizer of Smash Racism DC, the Antifa group responsible for mobbing Fox News host and DCNF co-founder Tucker Carlson’s house in November and for chasing Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz from a D.C. restaurant in September. AFR did not respond to multiple requests for comment asking if it was aware of Alcoff’s extreme and violent rhetoric or if it planned on taking any action in regards to the radical’s statements. Instead, the progressive nonprofit obscured references to Alcoff on its website after TheDCNF exposed Alcoff’s radical personas. AFR modified references to “Jose Alcoff” in at least seven press releases to “Jose A” sometime before noon local time Wednesday. TheDCNF contacted AFR at 12:13 p.m. local time Wednesday to inquire why it scrubbed Alcoff’s last name from its press releases. Less than 30 minutes later, his full name was added back to the press releases. For example, “Jose Alcoff” was originally quoted in a May 31 press release on AFR’s website, according to Google’s Dec. 3 cache of the web page. His name had been modified to “Jose A” when TheDCNF archived the press release at 12:19 p.m. Wednesday. By 12:36 p.m., the press release was modified again to read “Jose Alcoff.” “Jose A,” underlined by TheDCNF, is quoted in a May 31 AFR press release at 12:19 p.m. local time. (Screenshot/Americans for Financial Reform) “Jose Alcoff,” underlined by TheDCNF, is quoted in a May 31 AFR press release at 12:36 p.m. local time — less than 30 minutes after TheDCNF inquired why AFR was scrubbing Alcoff’s last name. (Screenshot/Americans for Financial Reform) TheDCNF archived three AFR press releases with timestamps showing the modifications. AFR did not respond to multiple requests for comment asking why the changes were made. Additionally, Stop The Debt Trap Campaign, the AFR arm where Alcoff works, tweeted individual pictures of its employees on June 21, 2016. Each tweet included the employee’s full name, except Alcoff, who was only listed as “Jose.” Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Progressive Nonprofit Caught Trying To Conceal References To Its Employee, Unmasked Antifa Leader Joseph ‘Jose’ Alcoff is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.