The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ChatterBox

How do you observe the Sabbath?

Just as a sidenote from the other thread, how do you observe the sabbath? Aside from religious services, I've heard of groups who say that you should do absolutely nothing in the Sabbath, to the extent of not turning on lights, or travelling (not sure how they attend church), and others who say it should simply be a day that work is set aside, so gardening, leisure activities, and those things that give minds a rest from work are acceptable. I fall more towards the second group. Aside from religious activities it is a time for things that help me recover from the week, think about anything other than work, so books, study, etc. that I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to, and refresh my energy ready to face the next week.

How do you observe it?

Religious activities, Bible study, walking, hiking, swimming, relaxing, napping, playing with the dogs, hanging out with my wife, family and friends, light gardening if needed. Just mainly overall relaxing and enjoying God's restful day.

• Like 2

I absolutely love this verse: Exodus 31:13 "Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you." The Sabbath is the time that we can reflect on how God is sanctifying us, remembering that He is our Creator, and will create in us a new heart that desires His love. Fellowship is a great way to experience and share God's love with others. Also, studying the Bible, experiencing God's creativity in nature, worshiping God through music or praise, etc. It is a time to set aside the distractions of the daily work, and rest in the work that God is doing in your life. It has been the greatest blessing for me in many ways and has brought me closer to God. See Isaiah 58:13,14 "...call the Sabbath a delight..." :RpS_biggrin:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• [POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

Just as a note, God's word is all that matters and this is just a poll to see where people stand on this. I am struggling with the question myself but I believe we should observe the Sabbath. Both sides make some good arguments whenever this is discussed.

in Other

• Christians are not under the command to obey the 7th day Sabbath (Colossians 2:16)

Colossians 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day. (NASB)   Colossians 2:16 teaches that Christians are not under the command to obey the 7th day Sabbath. If one chooses to do so it is fine as long as they don't command others to do so.   1. NIDNTT: Here Paul argues that the Jewish law (the legal demands) were cancelled in the death of Christ (v. 14), and therefore the Jewish food regulations and religious calendar are not binding on the Christian. Included in this ritual was the Jewish sabbath observance. These observances, Paul claims, pointed to a spiritual reality fulfilled in Christ (3:410, Sabbath, W. Stott). 2. EDNT: Questions concerning the Sabbath also play a role in the religious disputes in the church at Colossae (Col 2:16). Like festivals and new moons sabbath observance is only a shadow of what is to come (3:222, sabbaton, W. Beilner). 3. TDNT: With liberation from bondage to the elementary principles of the world the dogmata are also set aside, so that the Christian community is definitely freed from the Sabbath commandment (7:30, sabbaton, Lohse).   A few other things ought to be pointed out: a. As with Colossians 2:16 in the Old Covenant the Sabbath was coupled with new moons and festivals/feasts which would include the weekly Sabbath (1 Chronicles 23:31; 2 Chronicles 2:4; 8:13; 31:3; Nehemiah 10:33; Ezekiel 45:17; Hosea 2:11). Just as Christians do not have to obey the commands in regards to new moons and festivals so too they do not have to obey the command of the 7th day Sabbath. b. Some may insist that the plural "sabbaton" is used in Colossians 2:16 so it doesn't refer to the weekly Sabbath. However, this argument is invalid because the plural elsewhere refers to the weekly Sabbath (Luke 4:16; Exodus 20:8 LXX). c. Still another argument used is to affirm that there isn't a definite article ("the") before "Sabbath" in Colossians 2:16 so it can't refer to the weekly Sabbath. However, there also isn't a definite article before the Sabbath in John 5:9 (in the Greek text) and yet it refers to the weekly Sabbath.   As pointed out elsewhere all the old Covenant commands are obsolete.[*1] Only those that are repeated in the New Covenant are binding on the Christian.[*2]     [*1] https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...te-herews-8-13   [*2] See post #24 https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...bath-day/page2

in Apologetics and Theology

• Why do most modern Christians only follow 9 of the 10 commandments? [Sabbath Day]

I was told that I was required to work today and I called in and said that I would not work because I guard the 10 commandments. I live in an "at will" state and have a high probability of being fired for doing this, but I believe that I have done the right thing at this time. If I have not done the right thing, why is this so and where can it be found in scripture? My interpretation of what Jesus spoke against was not the law of Moses, but against the ridiculous additions that were made to it by the scribes and Pharisees. I also know that the Sabbath day (or seventh day) was created before the law of Moses.   The Sabbath day appears to be a gift from the most high to mankind for rest and for learning about God (Jesus taught in the tabernacle on the Sabbath day routinely, and this is why I want to learn about the Sabbath day now), and it feels wrong to deny a gift from God.

in Bible Study

• Do you observe Lent?

We're coming up to the home stretch now, but I didn't know until recently that not all Christians observe Lent. Lent's the period of 40 days between Shrove Tuesday and Easter, traditionally marked by fasting but now more often marked by giving something up for the period. This year I gave up sweets, which is comparatively easy, but I have heard of rarer ones including a friend who gave up being asthmatic - she didn't give up the disease but she gave up letting it control her or be part of her identity. (The vicar did approve: he said that offering suffering on the alter was quite traditional).   Did you give up anything for Lent this year, or have any unusual ways to mark it that you know of?

in Lounge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.