The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

The Wisdom of Right Relationships

Staff

By Charles Stanley

Hebrews 10:23-24

The subject of positive relationships is near to my heart because God has provided me with such good friends. These are the people who challenge me to do more for the Lord. My friends love me, but they certainly aren’t content to let me stay as I am! If they spot a sin in my life or see something I could do better, they say so.

Paul gave relationships a high priority too. The apostle surrounded himself with people who could help him achieve two things: fulfillment of his God-given mission and conformity to Christlikeness. While Paul was pouring himself into the lives of others, he was being built up and strengthened by his fellow believers. That, in brief, is the Lord’s plan for every one of His children.

What about you? Do you have certain relationships that motivate you to pursue God more fervently? It does matter whom we allow to influence our lives. The Father equips your brothers and sisters to invest in you-to encourage you, to pray for you, and to prod you toward a more complete faith-so that you are prepared to devote yourself to serving others. Good relationships with people who build each other up can help believers fulfill God’s plan for their lives.

The finest relationships are between people who want to see each other succeed in faith and therefore “spur one another on toward love and good deeds” (Heb. 10:24, niv). In other words, our best friends are those who love us as we are but never cease to challenge us to be better for the Lord.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Why we don’t do platonic relationships…

Speaking on this subject might cause me to step on some toes, but I think it’s worth it. I’m gonna say some things that aren’t very popular, slightly controversial, and extremely dogmatic. That combination typically offends people; a lot of people. What is it that I want to say that could potentially invite fierce and unkind criticism of my character? This: I don’t have platonic friends, I don’t want platonic friends, and I don’t think anyone should have platonic friends.   But “what is a platonic friend?” some of you may ask. A platonic friend is an intimate friend of the opposite sex, who is a trusted confidant, and in whom is no sexual interest. I don’t think that type of relationship is beneficial. However, that’s not to say I don’t have friends of the opposite sex, I do, but I don’t entrust them with intimate secrets. I don’t call them on the phone late at night and tell them about my day. I don’t meet with them over coffee and discuss the latest gossip. I leave all that kind of intimate socialization for my trusted buddies; my guy friends. Guys like me.   So without further ado, let me give you some reasons for why I think it is dangerous to keep close friends of the opposite sex.   Divorce rates are soaring, is Facebook to blame?   Despite the fact that more people are getting divorced than ever, it still seems like only the most radical visionaries of us are looking at the trends and searching for causes and cures. Sources disagree over how best to calculate the statistics, but somewhere between 20-50% of all American marriages end in divorce. Cause? Well, at least 1 in 5 divorces are blamed on inappropriate Facebook socialization with the opposite sex. But if you add the number of divorces that ended due to inappropriate socialization in life outside of Facebook, the number would likely rise higher.   How does this happen? And why is it so common? Inappropriate cross gender conversation sometimes happens rapidly, sometimes gradually, but always because of the wickedness of the human heart. For those who would seek to protect their marriage, like us, and thwart adultery before it happens, it is necessary to understand: the causes of divorces, their red flags and warning signs, and ultimately how to avoid these marital land mines.   What does a platonic relationship look like in a marriage?   A married person who has a platonic friend typically:   Engages in private conversation with someone of the opposite sex, other than their spouse. Shares intimate details about their lives. Spends alone time with the opposite sex, as they would with someone of their own gender. Talks about problems in the marriage with the platonic friend. Insists that there is nothing sexual or inappropriate in the relationship.   The simple and yet disastrous reason that a platonic relationship can kill a marriage.   Let’s highlight the last point above. A married person who has a platonic friend typically insists that there is nothing sexual or inappropriate in the relationship. That may very well be true, but will it remain true? To find confidence in the self assurance of “it will never go too far” and “they’re just a friend, they’ll always be just a friend” and “this isn’t hurting my marriage” reveals a heart that is convinced that human beings are better than what they really are. That we as humans have more self control than what we really do. That we’re able to maintain control in situations in which we as humans aren’t equipped to maintain control.   The simple truth is this. Human beings find other humans sexually attractive. Period. End of story. In light of this single revelation, all of the bullet points above seem like critical shots being fired at the internal organs of a marriage by a crazy person. Human beings find other human beings sexually attractive, and when you add to that equation alone time and intimacy, things are bound to go down hill!   Find out just how bad these problems are with men, by reading Men are dogs. Let’s be open and honest about lust.   How “just friends” or “just a brother/sister” becomes “adulterer/adulteress.”   The story usually goes like this… The friend or the “brother/sister” remains in the picture when they shouldn’t. The marriage goes on with the platonic person in the auxiliary, “helping out” here and there with kids or finances or whatever. The guy or gal is confided in about everything, and when troubles arise in the marriage (as is always bound to happen), the reckless spouse confides in a member of the opposite sex about troubles with they’re having with their spouse.   That conversation turns into a hand on the shoulder. A reassuring smile. Perhaps a “if only he/she understood you like I understand you, then they would see that you’re such a great person.” That leads to a smile and a hug, and what was a moment ago just a friend or a sibling, has now filled the emotional space that your husband or wife is meant to fill. In essence the platonic friend has just replaced your spouse!   You have confided in that person concerning your troubles, as you would with someone of your own sex, but unlike a friend of your own sex, this person has something a little more to offer you! I would say, they offer you further death and turmoil, but the thrill of actually being understood and accepted will make you feel anything but… in that moment.   So that is why we avoid one on one platonic friendships like the plague, because they are a plague. A disastrous pitfall that should be avoided at all costs.

in Marriage

• Man Who Has Never Shared Jesus With Anyone Criticizes Slain Missionary's Lack Of Wisdom

PENSACOLA, FL—Local believer Michael Frederick, who has never shared the gospel with anyone in his entire life, posted a Facebook comment Monday in which he criticized recently martyred missionary John Allen Chau's "lack of wisdom" in how he approached the violent North Sentinelese people. The post Man Who Has Never Shared Jesus With Anyone Criticizes Slain Missionary's Lack Of Wisdom appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• The Hidden Sin That Destroys Relationships

I blinked in surprise as tears moistened my eyes. A masterpiece sculpture at the Berghese Gallery in Rome towered before me. Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s work simply captivated me. Why did a piece of marble stir my soul so deeply? Oddly enough, a book about envy helped me understand. Glory and Borrowed Glory According to Tilly Dillehay in her debut book, Seeing Green: Don’t Let Envy Color Your Joy, you can’t address envy until you grasp how you interact with the hints of God’s glory in your daily life. People bump into bits of God’s glory everywhere: in nostalgia, love, praise from a superior, the yearning for another land, the desire to be on the “inside,” and, yes, the beauty of art. Dillehay—a homemaker, pastor’s wife, and TGC contributor—argues that God’s glory is wrapped up in “all things meaningful, all things worthwhile, all things beautiful, and all things that quicken the pulse with joy and quicken the mind with sight” (20). That beauty I saw in the art gallery pointed to God’s glory. As an image-bearer of God, the artist Bernini reflected God’s creative glory through his art. He possessed a measure of what Dillehay calls “borrowed glory.” God created us to respond to his glory, even the borrowed glory of those around us. Meanwhile, the rather uncomfortable reality is that we have all received varying measures of borrowed glory. Unequal Playing Field Dillehay debunks the politically correct myth that we’re all equally beautiful, or “all equally fill-in-the-blank.” We’re not all equally beautiful—some people are better-looking than you are. Some are smarter than you are. Some are funnier than you are. As we encounter such people, we will respond in some form of either worship or hatred. It’s impossible to get through Dillehay’s book unscathed. If you believe envy isn’t a problem for you, read this book and think again. Seeing Green systematically shows the many ways envy can rear its head: through body envy, charm, influence, intellect, money, options, creativity, competence, control, and relationships. Unlike other sins such as lust or pride, Dillehay explains, envy never lights up the brain with pleasure. Though churches often tolerate envy as a quiet lesser-sin, seeing green is poison from beginning to end. Creativity and the Warrior-Artist With her definition of envy, Dillehay explains that the person who has what I envy is “felt by me to have the advantage of me, and I resent it” (32). Among all demographics, Dillehay believes that artists are the most prone to envy. She may be right. I recognized seeds of envy in myself even while reading her book. Commonalities in our upbringings stirred a sense of comparison in my heart. Unlike the Bernini statue that awakened wonder and worship, this book ignited competition. I subconsciously weighed her writing against my own. I became aware of areas of inequality in our writing—areas where she is superior to me. God helped me recognize and dismiss those seeds of resentment, and instead benefit from Dillehay’s many insights. Art, she explains, makes us feel “close to touching the meaning of the universe” because it taps into our human need for stories (104). Art connects us to God’s big story, which is a tale of romance and war. The artist, she claims, is a warrior in the middle of God’s story. All artists, whether they know it or not, create works that reflect either truth or lies. Their artistic medium—be it words, music, or a paintbrush—is a tool in the battle. The big takeaway is that any message of truth communicated through art should cause us to rejoice—as a warrior rejoices with news of victory at another point in the battle. “If we can’t rejoice at genuine strokes of beauty wielded against our satanic enemies,” Dillehay writes, “then we are obviously blind to the battle” (107). But how do we kill envy, once our eyes are opened to its presence in our hearts? Seeing Green No More Dillehay doesn’t leave the reader gasping for help. She includes biblical tips for killing envy and entering a life of freedom. The fight against envy is won through conscious decisions to put on love, diligence, humility, and appropriate transparency. As we choose behavior that pleases God and blesses others, our emotions are likely to shift into their appropriate place. I remember talking to a mentor about a troubled relationship. She spoke hard yet transformational words: “It’s not your job to pray that God will fix them. Pray that God will bless them.” Dillehay offers similar advice: Thank God for the success of the person you envy. Ask him to further their success. Over the years, I’ve found that praying blessings on someone I’m struggling with is one of the most powerful ways God changes my heart. True love leaves no room for envy. As Paul famously put it, “Love does not envy or boast” (1 Cor. 13:4). As we love, we’re better able to run the race God has entrusted to us. And as we forsake envy and give ourselves to our calling, we’re able to multiply our God-given talents, be they many or few. Seeing Green takes a step forward in the battle against Satan’s deceptions. Envy is never okay. Envy destroys lives. But by God’s grace, we can fight envy and get on with the work God calls us to do. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Released Pastor Brunson Prays with Trump: ‘Give Him Wisdom to Lead This Country’

U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson visited President Trump Saturday and prayed for him in the Oval Office, less than a day after Brunson was released from a Turkish prison. View the full article

• Azusa Pacific Reinstates Ban on Same-Sex Relationships

Azusa Pacific University announced that they were reversing a decision that allowed non-sexual relationships between same-sex students, just one week after the new policy was announced. View the full article

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.