The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian Hodoboc

The parable of the two terrariums

I tried to create a parable to defend God's plan against the popular atheist imputation which claims that because we can't see logic in God's plan, God probably doesn't exist. Check out this video and let me know what you think:

• Like 2

I tried to create a parable to defend God's plan against the popular atheist imputation which claims that because we can't see logic in God's plan, God probably doesn't exist. Check out this video and let me know what you think:

I liked your video; the ant analogy was a well thought out one👍.

The intro was fine, however, if it were shorter, It would probably better serve the illustration you were trying to make.

God bless you too Lucian.

Staff

Took me a little bit to get used to your accent. I missed a lot of what you shared until I adjusted enough for it. Keep up the faith, Lucian, much enjoyed hearing you articulate your thoughts in the defense of Christianity.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Poll Question: The Rich man and Lazarus Parable or Not?

Is the story of the Rich man and Lazarus a parable and does it really make a difference?  Wouldn't the story still teach the same truths even if is a parable?   John Calvin held the view that it is not a parable but he also states "But that is of little consequence, provided that the reader comprehends the doctrine which it contains."

in Bible Study

• Is genesis a kind of parable to explain what could not have been explained?

Personally, I am Christian, but I believe in evolution. All the facts in science point towards that. What do others think?

in Creation Ex Nihilo

• Understanding the Good Samaritan Parable

Gustave Dore, The Good Samaritan. Dr. Amy-Jill Levine of Vanderbilt University explains how getting an accurate answer to the question “Who were the Samaritans?” can shed light on how shocking the Good Samaritan parable would have been to Jesus’ audience. The Good Samaritan parable is one of the most beloved gospel stories for young and old alike. The story is told in Luke 10:29–37: A man going from Jerusalem to Jericho is attacked by robbers who strip him and beat him. A priest and a Levite pass by without helping him. But a Samaritan stops and cares for him, taking him to an inn where the Samaritan pays for his care. As Dr. Amy-Jill Levine discusses in a column in the January/February 2012 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review, the story has proven a popular one for sermons over the years, and it has been interpreted in many different ways—ranging from a tale about ritual purity to lessons about personal safety and even freedom fighters or universal healthcare. These sometimes-unusual interpretations are no doubt an attempt to find meaning in the parable for the times and concerns of a changing audience. And although that may be a worthy cause, Levine notes that in order to grasp the full import of the story, one must understand the times and concerns of first-century Judea, where Jesus and his followers lived. To do this, one must understand the relationship between Jews and Samaritans. This is sometimes hinted at in modern interpretations of the parable but rarely fully grasped. Dr. Amy-Jill Levine So who were the Samaritans, really? Levine explains that they were not simply outcasts: They were the despised enemies of the Jews. Yet where listeners would have expected a Jew to be the hero of Jesus’ story, instead they would have been shocked to hear that it is a Samaritan. As Levine explains, only by understanding this reality does the powerful message of the parable come through: Read more from Dr. Amy-Jill Levine about interpreting the Good Samaritan parable in Biblical Views, “The Many Faces of the Good Samaritan—Most Wrong,” Biblical Archaeology Review, January/February 2012. Not a subscriber yet? Join today.

The Galilee is one of the most evocative locales in the New Testament—the area where Jesus was raised and where many of the Apostles came from. Our free eBook The Galilee Jesus Knew focuses on several aspects of Galilee: how Jewish the area was in Jesus’ time, the ports and the fishing industry that were so central to the region, and several sites where Jesus likely stayed and preached.
          Related reading in Bible History Daily: Recovering the Original Meaning of Matthew’s Parables by Helmut Koester Inn from the Good Samaritan Parable Becomes a Museum The Samaritan Schism Dating of the Samaritan Temple on Mt. Gerizim Ancient Samaria and Jerusalem

This Bible History Daily feature was originally published in January 2012.
          The post Understanding the Good Samaritan Parable appeared first on Biblical Archaeology Society. View the full article

in Archaeology

• The Biblical definition of a parable

I recently got into a disagreement about the Biblical definition of a parable and how one might interpret it in the scriptures. Keep in mind the words of God are not limited to any ones “private” interpretation, as I believe the proper interpretation of God’s words belongs to God alone, and to those whom God reveals it.   But the Biblical definition of a parable was in question here, as some say a parable has to be a story or else it is not a parable. Hopefully by the words of God and by a Biblical definition of the word “parable” we will see a parable can also be a short saying and is not limited to being only a story.   “The word parable is from the root word “paraballo” or in the Greek “parabole.” This compound word comes from “para” which means “to come along side or compare” and “ballo” which literally means “to throw” or “see” with. The parables are used in giving one or more instructional lessons or principles and can be an allegory and may include inanimate objects (like trees, plants, or things) or people in various societal positions.” (source… http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/05/22/what-is-a-parable-a-bible-definition/)   Now some people may not understand the Biblical definition of a parable, so let’s explore this.   In Matthew and in Mark we read.....All G3956 these things G5023 spake G2980 Jesus G2424 unto the multitude G3793 in G1722 parables; G3850 and G2532 without G5565 a parable G3850 spake he G2980 not G3756 unto them: G846   But G1161 without G5565 a parable G3850 spake G2980 he not G3756 unto them: G846 and G1161 when they were alone, G2398 G2596 he expounded G1956 all things G3956 to his G846 disciples. G3101   Notice the word parable is G3850, The KJV translates Strong's G3850 in the following manner: parable (46x), figure (2x), comparison (1x), proverb (1x).   Strong's definition is...παραβολή parabolḗ, par-ab-ol-ay'; from G3846; a similitude ("parable"), i.e. (symbolic) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apothegm or adage:—comparison, figure, parable, proverb.   Outline of Bible usage....1.a placing of one thing by the side of another, juxtaposition, as of ships in battle 2. metaph. A. a comparing, comparison of one thing with another, likeness, similitude. B. an example by which a doctrine or precept is illustrated. C. a narrative, fictitious but agreeable to the laws and usages of human life, by which either the duties of men or the things of God, particularly the nature and history of God's kingdom are figuratively portrayed. D. a parable: an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.   3. a pithy and instructive saying, involving some likeness or comparison and having preceptive or admonitory force.     “The range of meaning of the term "parable" (Gk. parabole [parabolhv]) in the New Testament closely parallels that of the Hebrew masal [l;v'm] in the Old Testament and related Hebrew literature. As well as referring to narrative parables, the term identifies similitudes ( Matt 13:33 ; B. Pes. 49a), allegories ( Ezek 17:2 ; 24:3 ; Matthew 13:18 Matthew 13:24 Matthew 13:36 ), proverbs ( Proverbs 1:1 Proverbs 1:6 ; Mark 3:23 ), riddles ( Psalm 78:2 ; Mark 7:17 ), and symbols or types ( Heb 9:9 ; B. Sanh. 92b ). "Parable" is a general term for a figurative saying.” (source https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/parable/)   So in the above we see a parable is not limited to a long story, but can be a short figurative saying. Let me post a few examples of parables being short sayings.   Matthew 13:33(KJV) “Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.”   Matthew 24:32(KJV) “Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:”   Notice in Luke 4:23 this short proverb of “Physician, heal thyself” is by definition called a parable G3850 “And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, G3850 Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.”   So again, a parable can be a short figurative saying… Luke 6:39(KJV) “And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?”   So by all these above definitions and examples we see a parable by Biblical definition is not limited to being defined only as a story.   Peace and God bless    

in Bible Study

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.