The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

Sight, Place, and the Presence of God

Staff

by R.C. Sproul

A great debate and controversy over what is proper worship before God is going on in our time. As I have wrestled with this question, I keep going back to the Old Testament. I know this is a dangerous practice because we now live in the New Testament era, but the Old Testament gives detailed, explicit instructions for worship, whereas the New Testament is almost silent on the conduct of worship. In the Old Testament, I find a refuge from speculation, from human opinion, and from the vagaries of human taste and preference because there I find God Himself explicitly demanding that certain things take place in worship. I believe it is both possible and right to mine principles for worship from the Old Testament, for the Old Testament books remain part of the canon of Scripture, and while there is a certain discontinuity between the Old and New Testaments, there is also a continuity that we must not discount.

One of the principles I learn from the Old Testament is this: the whole person is to be engaged in the experience of worship. Certainly, the minds, hearts, and souls of the worshipers are to be engaged, but when we come to worship on Sunday morning, we do not come as disembodied minds, hearts, or souls. None of our experiences are purely intellectual, emotional, or spiritual. The experience of human life also involves physical aspects. This means that all five senses are involved in the experience of living. We are creatures who live life not merely with our minds, hearts, and souls, but with our senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch.

I do not have enough space in this brief article to touch on how all five senses are engaged in worship, or even to explore the full dimensions of even one of the senses. So, I want to consider just one way in which the visual sense can be impacted so that our hearts are moved to worship.

Surveys routinely tell us that the two leading reasons why people stay away from church are that they find worship boring and they find the church irrelevant. These reasons, especially the first one, astound me. I have often said that if God Himself were to announce that He would appear at my church one Sunday morning at 11 a.m., there would be standing room only at the appointed hour. I am sure that no one would come to that service, witness God’s arrival, and go away saying, “I was bored.” When we read the biblical accounts of people’s encounters with God, we see the whole gamut of human emotions. Some people weep, some cry out in fear, some tremble, some pass out. However, we never read of anyone who was bored in God’s presence.

So, given the fact that worship is, in its most basic sense, a meeting with God, how can we account for the surveys that tell us people come away from church feeling bored? I must conclude that they are experiencing no sense of the presence of God. That is tragic, because if people have no sense of the presence of God, they cannot be moved to worship and glorify God.

One of the elements that helps people gain a sense of the real presence of God is the form of the worship environment. I used to enjoy asking my seminary students, who were Protestants, whether they had ever been in one of the great Roman Catholic Gothic cathedrals. Many had, so I would ask them to share their visceral response upon walking into a cathedral. Most would say, “I felt a sense of awe” or “I felt a sense of the transcendence of God.” That gave me the opportunity to point out how the architecture of the cathedrals, the form of the worship environment in those buildings, put my students in the “mood” for worship, as it were. That, of course, was the very reaction the cathedrals were designed to spark. Great care and thought went into the design of the cathedrals. The designers wanted a form that would quicken in people a sense of the loftiness of God, of the otherness of God. It saddens me that Protestants do not usually take the same care in church design. Our worship environments are often utilitarian. Sanctuaries are designed along the lines of cinemas or television studios. Such environments are not wrong, but many people would testify that such settings do not inspire worship in the way traditional church interiors do.

It behooves us, I think, to note the great care with which God gave His people plans for the tabernacle, their first worship environment. Like the temple that followed, the tabernacle was a place of beauty, glory, and transcendence. It was like no other place in the lives of God’s people. We need to understand that our church architecture communicates something to our visual senses, and, therefore, that architecture can promote or hinder our sense of the presence of God.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• A Graveyard Is a Good Place to Make Big Decisions

Years ago I was driving through a rural area of west Tennessee, on my way to a little cottage on the Pickwick Dam in north Mississippi, where I’d take a couple of days away to write. Much was on my mind. I had large decisions in front of me—decisions that would shape the whole course of my future. My immediate problem wasn’t the course of my future, but the course of my actual journey at the time. I was lost. Every turn I took seemed to get me farther out into the woods and farther away from any recognizable landmark. This was before the advent of global positioning technology, and even if it were now, such technology would have done me little good, since my phone couldn’t access a signal. I turned into the first driveway I saw to tinker with my phone long enough to get a cell signal to call someone who might give me directions. It took a moment or two for me to realize that I was in a church graveyard, and my phone was still the deadest thing there. Graveyard Wonderings Sometimes, not often enough, I feel a strong prompting to stop everything and pray. Sometimes, far too often, I ignore that prompting, and conclude that I’m too busy to stop. This time I had no choice but to stop. I had nowhere to go. I stopped and walked around that graveyard, and churchyard, praying for God to grant me some wisdom and discernment about the large life decision I had in front of me. As I wandered in front of the little Baptist church building, I was still praying, but my eyes were lazily scanning the red brick in front of me. I stopped as I read the cornerstone, engraved sometime in the years before I was born. The date was there, and right beneath it: “Herman Russell Moore, pastor.” I stopped praying, startled. Herman Russell Moore was the name of my paternal grandfather, who died when I was 5 years old. And my grandfather was a pastor, serving many churches in Mississippi and Tennessee. When my phone finally had cell service, my first call wasn’t to my office, but to my grandmother. I gave her the name of the church and asked if she’d ever heard of it. “Of course,” she said. “Your grandfather was pastor there.” I was stunned speechless, and just kept repeating to myself, “What are the odds?” But I didn’t want to waste the sign, whatever it was that in God’s providence had directed me there. So I kept praying, walking around the graves. I wondered about the people there, in the ground beneath me. How many of them had heard my grandfather preach the gospel? How many found Jesus in the church behind me? How many had prayed with my grandfather to receive Christ, or at the funeral of a loved one, or maybe even, like I was then, as they were facing a major life decision. They were gone now. But I then thought about who in the ground beneath me might have been a thorn in the flesh to my grandfather. How many had criticized his preaching or questioned whether he did hospital visits often enough? Maybe someone had even, as is sadly all-too-regular practice in some churches, started an anonymous letter campaign to oppose the building of that sanctuary. They were gone too. Perspective In that moment, I came to realize that maybe, as Tolkien put it, “not all who wander are lost.” Perhaps I was there for just this reason, to contemplate that whatever it was that had filled my grandfather with joy during his time here, and whatever had kept him up worrying at night, much of it was buried beneath me. The building, where the gospel was, I presumed, still preached, was still there. But even that wouldn’t be permanent, but would one day be swept aside by time, replaced by—who knows?—a restaurant chain or a Buddhist meditation clinic. All of that would also be swept away in the trillions of years of cosmic time stretching out ahead of us. The decision I was mulling seemed so important to me at the moment. It seemed to be of existential importance. And yet, as I stood on cemetery grounds, I was reminded that I would die. I, like this church, and like my ancestor who served it, would pass away as a vapor (James 4:14), as a forgotten stalk of grass (Ps. 103:15–16). My decision seemed, on the one hand, even more important. After all, my grandfather’s ministry here was part of a chain of decisions, without which I wouldn’t even exist to contemplate that place. On the other hand, my decision seemed much less important. I was reminded, despite the fact that I was, at the time, a young man in the whirl of the prime of my career, that I was just a dying creature, who would one day be forgotten, along with all my big plans and my fears and anxieties. At that moment, the thought of my mortality didn’t leave me with a sense of futility or dread. The thought was strangely liberating, freeing me, if just for a second, to reflect on what really matters—to give thanks to God for giving me a gospel to believe and people to love. Lessons Learned That’s what I pray Matt McCullough’s Remember Death does for you. I pray that you come away from a book on mortality with a sense of clarity about what really matters—about who really matters. I pray that this book, as it leads you to reflect on your own coming demise, gives you a sense of joy, of gratitude, of longing to be part of that great cloud of witnesses in heaven. I pray that this book is useful to you, but I pray more that this book turns out to be a waste of your time. I pray that you and I don’t ever actually succumb to death, but that, instead, we are part of the generation that sees the eastern skies explode with the glory of the returning King of Israel, the Lord Jesus Christ. But, even if so, the lessons of this book will be worth your time, to call you away from seeing yourself as a messiah or as a devil, as a Caesar or as a Judas. Your life is worth living, precisely because it isn’t your life at all. Your life—at least in this moral frame—has a beginning and an end. But your life—your real life—is hidden with Christ (Col. 3:3). That then gives you the freedom to lose your life in sacrifice to others, in obedience to God, in order to save it. I wish that I could say that my accidental visit to that church graveyard permanently changed my life. I wish I could write that I don’t still grapple with an illusion of immortality or with worry about tomorrow. I can’t say that. What I can say, though, is that sometimes God will let us get a little bit lost, so that we might look about and realize that we aren’t phoenixes rising from our own ashes but we’re sheep, following the voice of a shepherd, even through the valley of the shadow of death. Maybe such a moment of clarity will come for you as you find yourself lost in the truths of this book. If so, you might realize that you aren’t as lost as you think, but that you’re instead being led through the graveyard of your own fallen life, onward toward home. This is an adaptation of the foreword to Remember Death: The Surprising Path to Living Hope (Crossway, 2018). Related: To Grow Spiritually, Start Thinking About Death (Collin Hansen and Matt McCullough) Remember Death. Enjoy a Life of Hope. (Phil Letizia) 20 Quotes from a Profound New Book on Death (Ivan Mesa) Momento Mori: What It Means and Why It Should Matter to You (Matt McCullough) I’m Dying. You’re Dying. Jesus Lives. (Matt McCullough) The Spiritual Benefits of Dying (Phil Letizia) View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Report: Economic Toll Of Government Shutdown Almost As Bad As Economic Toll Of Having A Bloated Federal Government In The First Place

U.S.—The economic toll of the government shutdown is growing by the day, and experts now believe the cost of having the government partially closed down is nearly as bad as the economic toll of a functioning government interfering in our economy, businesses, and private decisions in the first place. The post Report: Economic Toll Of Government Shutdown Almost As Bad As Economic Toll Of Having A Bloated Federal Government In The First Place appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ Ranks Second Place Among Americans’ Favorite Christmas Carols: Poll

By Evie Fordham - “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is the second-most popular Christmas carol and the most popular Christmas song among women, according to a user poll conducted by the messaging app MEi released Monday. The poll talked to 4,000 app users in the U.S. over the weekend and broke down the results by age, gender and even political party, a MEi spokesperson told The Daily Caller News Foundation Tuesday. It turns out that “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is the second-most popular Christmas song among both Republicans and Democrats, with 16 percent of Republicans ranking it as their favorite and 15 percent of Democrats. Only “Silent Night” surpassed “Baby It’s Cold Outside” in popularity, according to Mei’s user poll. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” has been blasted this holiday season by critics who say its lyrics are about sexual harassment. Some radio stations banned it, like Cleveland’s WDOK, which announced the decision on its website. “I do realize that when the song was written in 1944, it was a different time, but now, while reading it, it seems very manipulative and wrong,” WDOK’s Glenn Anderson wrote Nov. 27. “The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place.” But the song’s defenders have come up with some creative ways to show their support. A Kentucky radio station played a two-hour “Baby It’s Cold Outside” marathon on Sunday, alternating between five different versions of the tune. The song was first popularized in the 1949 film “Neptune’s Daughter” and made into a hit by crooner Dean Martin in 1959. His daughter Deana Martin defended the song on “Fox & Friends” Dec. 10. “I was absolutely flabbergasted,” Martin said about the backlash the song has received. “It’s just insane. When I heard it and I said, this can’t possibly be. You know, it’s a sweet, flirty, fun, holiday song that, well, it’s been around for 50 years.” MEi’s poll let users pick from a 2017 top 10 list of Christmas carols plus “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” Users’ other favorite songs from the list included “Jingle Bells,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” MEi is a messaging app with a twist — it uses artificial intelligence (AI) to analyze users’ conversations. According to a review on the website Android Headlines: Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ Ranks Second Place Among Americans’ Favorite Christmas Carols: Poll is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Experience Still Eclipses: ‘No Place for Truth’ 25 Years Later

Which should win out in the end, theology or ministry? Can you really justify reading theology books when people in your church are struggling to even tell others about Jesus or keep their marriages together? Doctrine is important, sure, but at the end of the day you must choose between either caring for real people with real problems, or kicking back and reading a dead guy argue about how another dead guy misinterpreted a third dead guy. If you’re interested in seriously studying theology, well and good—but it probably means you’re destined for the academy, not the local congregation. The idea that you must choose between ministry and theology has been around for awhile. I’ve never been happy with it. I want to say theology matters. Yet there’s still that struggle: the feeling that I’m robbing living, breathing, bleeding people for the sake of my own edification (or worse, entertainment). But David Wells’s No Place for Truth: Or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?—a book that turns 25 years old this year—helped me understand that this dilemma is relatively new, and also false. Truth in the Church You might be fooled into thinking No Place for Truth is simply the 1994 version of conservative Christian cultural analysis. But it’s much more. It’s certainly a remarkably insightful analysis of cultural trends that have become more fully formed in our day. For example, Wells warns how secularism’s undermining of tradition and authority has left only one “sinew” holding the body of Western society together: power (84). That observation is demonstrably true in the decline of social discourse, whether evidenced in Twitter-shame wars or the Machiavellian combat in halls where honor, tradition, and patriotism used to be constraining elements. But Wells also evaluates how secularization, modernization, and postmodernism have infiltrated and infected our thinking about church and ministry. There is no place for truth in the church, not just in the world. According to Wells, the influence of postmodernism has left the church suspicious of robust theologizing. Delegating its doctrinal responsibility to the academy, the evangelical church has taught its leaders caution toward the pastoral tools Christ gave them. “The new script for study is human experience, not the teaching of the Bible, or for that matter, of the church,” Wells warns (122). People increasingly view their experience not just as one legitimate voice guiding their worldview, but as the only qualified voice. When human experience is treated with such inflated regard, we’ll continue underestimating the influence of human depravity on our ability to discern truth apart from divine revelation (149). The effect is that people ask for tools to interpret their experiences instead of focusing their lives around God’s Word. This priority shift is evident even in official ministerial training. Increasingly, professional practicalities demand more time, thought, and preparation than grounding in theological method and doctrinal devotion (112). “Leadership is now substantially in the hands of the managers,” Wells observes (133). The world, the people in your church, and even your own conscience may tell you that shepherding people through their experiences is the whole of your job. Meanwhile, growing wise in the Word and equipping saints with life-giving doctrine is sidelined. Wells also discusses the decline of functional literacy. The rise of television has given the lion’s share of the public square to populist opinions both half-baked and easily digested. How much truer is this 25 years later, in the day of social media? As thoughtful discussion is diminished and rendered irrelevant, fewer and fewer people even know how to engage in it (196–97). Wise in the Word Why does this matter? How does this affect ministry? Wells points out that doctrine is central to the task of a minister, since the Word is the cornerstone of Christian life. Experience is a useful servant, but a terrible master. But the cultural air we breathe tells us it must be the master. Wells’s analysis exposes the subtle ways our culture teaches us to feel badly about spending hours studying God’s Word. There are always valid pressures that make it difficult to study. But combine those with the milieu we inhabit, and it’s all too easy for a minister to feel guilty for spending valuable time studying—to sacrifice deliverables for long-term investment, with no obvious ministry enhancement from week to week. Awareness of the problem is half the cure. No Place for Truth is so useful because it will equip you to spot the subtler symptoms of postmodernism in your own mind and heart, as well as in the culture around you. Ministers and shepherds of God’s people are to be wise in the Word. Otherwise, we will have nothing of lasting value to offer them. May we be on guard against any suggestion that caring for people means there is no place in our churches for truth. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Christian Listening To 'Baby It's Cold Outside' Wondering Why Unmarried Couple Is Alone In The First Place

BOSTON, MA—After classic pop standard "Baby, It's Cold Outside" came on the radio Tuesday morning, local Christian man Frank Larson wondered aloud why this unmarried couple was alone in the first place. The post Christian Listening To 'Baby It's Cold Outside' Wondering Why Unmarried Couple Is Alone In The First Place appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.