The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

The sense of smell

Psalm 115:5-7 describes some characteristics of idols, contrasting them with God.

They have mouths, but do not speak;

eyes, but do not see.

They have ears, but do not hear;

noses, but do not smell.

They have hands, but do not feel;

feet, but do not walk;

and they do not make a sound in their throat.

We all know that God sees and hears everything that happens and he has the ability to speak and act, but he has a sense of smell too. The first mention of it is found in Genesis 8:20-22.

Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and took some of every clean animal and some of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”

Burnt offerings gave him the same kind of pleasure we get from smelling flowers or perfume. Leviticus and Numbers contain instruction of a variety of sacrifices the Israelites were commanded to make and some of them were for the purpose of making a pleasing aroma for God. (The King James Bible describes these as “sweet savour” sacrifices.)

We no longer sacrifice animals. These sacrifices were symbols of the sacrifice that Christ would make when he was crucified.

And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:2 ESV)

But there are still sacrifices we can make that please God.

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. (Hebrews 13:15-16 ESV)

I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. (Philippians 4:18 ESV)

Not only does God smell the things we do but other people do too, and for some it isn’t a pleasing aroma.

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? (2 Corinthians 2:14-16 ESV)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• First Lady’s Plane Forced to Turn Around After ‘Burning Smell’ and ‘Thin Haze’ onboard

By R. Mitchell - An airplane carrying First Lady Melania Trump was forced to turn around a few minutes after takeoff due to officials are calling “a technical issue.” Members of the media accompanying Mrs. Trump said that there was a burning smell shortly after the plane took off and that “a thing haze ... First Lady’s Plane Forced to Turn Around After ‘Burning Smell’ and ‘Thin Haze’ onboard is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• I Lost My Child. Then the Book of Job Made Sense.

When I first read the book of Job as a preteen, I was flummoxed. Where was the God of my Sunday school who watched over his beloved children and kept them safe? I certainly didn’t see a clear picture of that God in this book. Here was a God who allowed Satan to pour every type of suffering on a righteous man. For a sensitive child prone to fear, this wasn’t comforting. I imagine I raised a skeptical eyebrow the next time my parents tried comforting me with God’s continual presence. But much to my surprise, the book of Job would eventually become one of the most comforting books in the Bible to me. So what changed? Job was still in my “things I don’t understand in the Bible” box when a weight of pain fell on my shoulders. My husband and I were married young, and I became pregnant eight weeks into our marriage. Few people are more hopeful about the future than a couple expecting their first child. That hope took a turn when a routine ultrasound left us with a devastating diagnosis: Our daughter would die soon after birth from a severe heart defect unless she had three open-heart surgeries. Grief can strike as quickly as lightning, and I held my swelling stomach with love and fear for my daughter and wept. Removing Fear of Punishment Soon after, we decided to take a short trip to the beautiful Oregon coast to give us time to wrestle with our new reality. As we drove, we listened to John Piper’s sermon series on the book of Job. Through this series, a pressing fear was quieted. It’s in our nature to wonder at the pain in the world, and suffering brings those questions to the forefront. The haunting question, What did we do to deserve this? lingered in our minds. That question can ring out in anger and self-righteous indignation, but it can also cry out in confusion, and in fear that we had brought this suffering on ourselves. The book of Job gave us comfort. It showed us we weren’t suffering more because we had sinned more. Job was commended as the most righteous on earth, yet he suffered immensely. We’re told in 1 John 4:18 that we no longer have to live in fear of punishment, because Christ took our punishment. Perfect love casts out fear. But even before Christ came to earth, he was leaving fingerprints of hope in the Old Testament. Job teaches us that while we may endure grief and suffering that’s unexplainable from a human vantage point, we can cast out the fear that if we had only polished our hearts and behavior better, we could have avoided all anguish. Learning Patience I would glean even more from Job. Two months after the birth of our beautiful firstborn, Faith Felicity Harris, a procedure went wrong, and she passed away. She was a fighter and had a good chance for life. But a complication due to human error led to her unexpected death. As I held her in my arms, my heart shattered. I knew my sorrow was just beginning. In my grief in the months to come, I learned how God draws near to the brokenhearted with his comfort and presence (Ps. 34:18). I also learned how suffering sometimes brings the silence of God, and how faith can feel like a flicker in the darkness. Job and his friends talked themselves into a standstill before God finally showed up. The waiting in ashes, loss, and misery was long for Job (that’s why it’s such a long book!). That waiting is mirrored in Joseph’s long years before he was finally reunited with his family. It’s seen in the book of Ruth as Naomi returned to her hometown empty and embittered from loss. It’s seen in Abraham and Sarah waiting long into their old age for an heir. The book of Job taught me what Romans 5:3–5 also says: “Affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope.” Job—like Joseph, Ruth and Naomi, and Abraham and Sarah—had periods of pure endurance. What we learn from Scripture is that the gift of enduring in faith is hope. As James reminds us, “You have heard of Job’s endurance and have seen the outcome that the Lord brought about—​the Lord is compassionate and merciful” (James 5:11). I learned that even if I felt God was silent during long nights of tears and fears, hope was sure to follow. Job taught me patience. Loving Suffering People Finally, Job’s friends taught me valuable lessons on what not to say to those suffering, and also how to handle well-intentioned friends who added to my pain with words or actions. Job had three sets of people in his life during his suffering. First, he had those who abandoned him completely (fools spit at him, and his servant won’t even give him a cup of water). Second, he had his wife, who told him he was better off dead. And finally, he had his three friends. These friends appear to have made the sacrifice to travel far to reach him. They join him in his sorrow. They weep with him. They stay respectfully silent for a full week. When Job finally speaks, however, his friends launch a verbal assault. Now, they obviously care for Job. When everyone else abandons him, they remain, and they seem like true friends. But their words rub salt into Job’s wounds. Wrongly applied truth adds more burdens to his shoulders. In the heat of the argument, they end up accusing Job of dreadful things. Eliphaz accuses him of not giving water to the thirsty and withholding food from the famished, sending widows away and crushing orphans. He’s sure that Job’s wickedness must be abundant and his iniquities endless in light of the severity of his suffering (Job 22). Seeing Job falsely accused has been strangely comforting to me when others assumed health issues, death, or life hardships were a reflection of our godliness. It gave me a way to understand how some who had at times shown great love and care also cut me deeply with their words and actions when I needed them most. It helped me understand the dynamics at play when a friend and I chose to vulnerably speak up about an abuser in our community, only to be ignored or labeled as bitter and divisive by people we thought cared for us. Through Job’s example, I learned it’s okay to fight bad theology about suffering and to share openly the harm caused by hurtful words. Ultimately, though, God answers those arguments when he shows up in the book’s climax. We may never be justified in the eyes of our own “Job’s friends,” but we look to the One who can truly vindicate us. Our eyes are on the righteous sufferer of whom Job was merely a shadow—Jesus Christ. Looking to the Greater Job I may not have all the answers for why I’ve suffered and experienced loss, but I do know who suffered loss and pain for me. He loves me through my suffering and is a truer friend than any other. The Bible points us through the chaos of a broken world to a God so big and powerful and mighty that he would plan a rescue for us. Jesus is a man of sorrow who wept over death (John 11), was abandoned by his closest friends in his hour of need (Mark 14:50), and suffered the agonies of fatal torture for us. Through his love and resurrection from the grave, we have a steady hope during pain. After the agonies of suffering and the sting of abandonment, God appears to Job in a whirlwind, reminding him that he’s present and working. God rebukes Job’s friends and restores his health. Job’s family gathers to comfort him, and he is blessed with more children and wealth. It’s a small picture to us of the day when Jesus will return to right all wrongs. That will be a glorious day! Meanwhile, Job’s patience and endurance—despite all the pressures of enormous suffering—are a reminder to persevere in faith. The book of Job taught me to hope despite living in a broken world, and that is comfort indeed. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• When God’s Rules Don’t Make Sense

Everyone hates a 35 m.p.h. zone when you could safely go 60. Most drivers faced with that situation, and lack of visible police, will choose to go what they deem the right speed for the road. They know 35 m.p.h. is the law, but because the law seems nonsensical, they break it. No one will be hurt. They’ve made a judgment for a specific situation based on reasonable data without rejecting all highway rules, and nothing is lost for it. After all, we all want to agree before we obey. And before agreement comes understanding—the embrace of the rationale. In many cases, acting this way is reasonable, even wise. But in some instances, it’s how we make ourselves God. Rules about Fruit? Really? Think back to the paradigmatic sin of the Garden. There was one rule to obey: don’t eat the fruit of a specific tree. Many have asked, even mocked, “Why this rule?” There is nothing wrong with eating fruit; even vegans do it. To obey this rule, a person would have to decide to listen to God’s Word over their own opinion—which demonstrates God’s genius in providing it. The rule itself demonstrates the true locus of righteous obedience: trust in God’s character and intentions. It would have seemed entirely reasonable for God to give Adam a different rule: Adam, don’t kill your wife and only friend, Eve. Eve, don’t kill Adam. This is different from some rule about fruit; we intuitively feel its righteousness. Murder violates our neighbor’s right to live; it’s horrifying; and Adam or Eve would only bring about their own loneliness. The rule makes good sense to us. In fact, it doesn’t even require us to believe in God at all. But the fruit was different. “The woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise” (Gen. 3:6). Eve looked the tree over after the serpent introduced doubt of God’s goodness into her mind. She analyzed the data and concluded the rule was absurd. She knew it was law, but because the law seemed nonsensical, and because doubt about God’s character had been introduced, she and her husband broke it. They thought they were stepping into enlightenment and freedom. They were, of course, tragically wrong. In each age there are some aspects of God’s law that fit comfortably with a given culture, but others that look to be flat wrong. Can we trust God, invisible and mysterious, over what is plain to see? Over what intuitively feels right? Over what seems senseless? Why would we want to? Looking at Jesus Changes Everything There are many possible answers; the most compelling for me is the goodness and trustworthiness of God in Jesus Christ. God is under no compulsion to save us. I have acted treacherously in my own life, and I think God would be right to punish my arrogance, hatred, and lying. But instead of choosing the morally good option of justly condemning me, God chose to send his Son to die in my stead. And Jesus himself chose to come. We can never know what a shock leaving perfect joy and fellowship must have been for God’s eternal Son. He willingly chose a life of poverty, in a politically occupied country, with an earthly father who probably died young. Jesus’s friends constantly misunderstood him, and those who should’ve recognized him schemed against him. He was a homeless itinerant. Then he submitted to the humiliation and raw pain of a false trial and crucifixion. He never had to do any of it, but he chose it for our sake. Jesus became poor to make us rich. He suffered and died for us, in our place. I can trust this person. He’s proven forever that he has my good at heart, that he loves me—so much so that he paid a scandalous personal cost. Outside of a relationship with this person, I can’t take the risk of trusting what goes against my cultural instincts. But as I know him more and more—his power, his intelligence, his goodness, his love—I can trust. I can obey. Even before I understand; even if I never quite do. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Does God have a sense of humor?

Is there any reason to believe God has a sense of humor? Only reasons I can come up with are: 1)  We have a sense of humor and were created in His image (seems a weak reason) 2) He created me (just kidding, sort of)   Seems to me God's love for a person does not change (He knows our entire biography before we were born so no surprises or need to change opinion).  Ergo, it seems nothing new would cause me to giggle. Perhaps Jesus' human nature could laugh when, say Peter fell into a puddle?    

in God (Trinitarian doctrines)

• Fed Up With Deadly Violence, Nation Demands Common-Sense Abortion Control

U.S.—After yet another violent week in which more than 10,000 unborn children lost their lives, fed up citizens nationwide are demanding lawmakers adopt common-sense abortion control in America. Coordinated marches over the weekend saw swarms of people filling city streets across the country. “We’re one of just a handful of countries in the world with […]   . . . finish reading Fed Up With Deadly Violence, Nation Demands Common-Sense Abortion Control.       More...

in Christian Satire

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.