The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

Search for home health care provider charged with elder abuse

Staff

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Police are searching for a home health care worker after she was caught on Nest Cam video assaulting an elderly woman. The family of the 94-year-old woman viewed the surveillance footage after finding bruises on her body. One day after installing the camera, what was captured is disturbing even to the detectives who are investigating this case.

There audio and video captured on the home surveillance camera is clear, capturing what is visibly a crime carried out against the elderly woman on Oak Valley Drive near Marsha Lane in west Houston. Memorial Villages Police Assistant Chief Ray Schultz says the video shows Brenda Floyd, 59, attacking the 94-year-old woman she was supposed to be taking care of.

Asst. Chief Schultz says Floyd flies into a rage after the 94-year-old woman feeds her dog “people food."

“She comes up behind her, starts berating her and actually slaps her in the side and back of the head," explains Asst. Chief Schultz. "As the lady gets up and is trying to work her way to get back to her bedroom with the assistance of a walker the caregiver continues to follow behind her, yelling at her and continues to strike her.”

The 94-year-old patient is diagnosed with dementia. Her adult children set up a camera when they saw bruises and they thought something had gone wrong.

"And man did it go wrong," adds Jeff McShan with Crime Stoppers of Houston. "We’ve got the video to prove it. We know who she is. We just can’t find her.”

“They (the family) had her working for them for an extended period of time -- a couple of years and they went farther than that, they helped her buy a car,” says Asst. Chief Schultz.

A warrant has been issued for Floyd’s arrest. She is charged with abuse of an elderly person, a second degree felony. Floyd is described as a white woman with black hair and brown eyes who stands at an approximate height of 5-feet 2-inches tall and weighs approximately 215 lbs.

"Obviously she’s got some anger issues," says Asst. Chief Schultz. "For her to display this type of behavior against somebody who’s completely defenseless is what makes it very disturbing. An investment in a piece of equipment like this, a camera, is worth it’s weight in gold. Unfortunately, you can’t trust anybody nowadays, you have to verify.”

Source: http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/231436431-story

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• 4 Reasons Survivors of Abuse Stay Silent

I didn’t do anything about it for years. Years while I was suffering from traumatic memories. Years when I knew it was wrong. Years when I knew that my silence was allowing sin to thrive. I was miserable in each circumstance. Full of despair as a child, I first imagined ways to kill myself. Decades later, trapped again, I had a folder on my computer with suicide notes ready to go. I experienced sexual abuse and assault as a child and as an adult. Spanning decades and leaving me confused and broken, my experiences of abuse have shaped my life. It is only through the hand of God and years of guidance from a gifted, educated, godly counselor that I can speak about this topic. I didn’t speak about it for years. My situation may be unique, but it is not dissimilar from others. There are hundreds of thousands of individuals who have been hurt by the horrific sin of sexual perversion, abuse, and violence. Months ago, a few years after I had been able to escape my abusive situation, I finally reported my abuse to those in the positions of leadership who needed to know. It seemed miraculous that after years of assuming no one would believe me, they immediately believed me. They immediately took complete, full, biblical action. They immediately cared for me. They protected me. Questions and Confusion I have repeatedly asked myself questions: Why didn’t I speak earlier? Why didn’t I tell the first time something happened? Why didn’t I go to someone in a position of authority over the various individuals who misused, abused, and assaulted me? Or, an even a more basic question: When I was abused within earshot of other people, why didn’t I scream? That question still taunts me in the dark nights of my soul. I’m not alone as a survivor in asking these questions. Similarly, those who haven’t experienced the confusing maze of abuse certainly must wonder these same things as they hear the stories that have come to light. Someone once told me, “The confusion is the abuse,” meaning that through cultivating confusion about what happened, abusers cultivate and perpetuate abuse. The confusion doesn’t end with the victim; it extends even to those who learn of the abuse. They wonder how it could be possible. It is extraordinarily rare for an abuser to seem like an abuser in ordinary life. Countless people, including those closest to the individual, will recall so many moments when the accused abuser was compassionate, completely appropriate, and even sensitive to other abuse cases. Questions multiply in everyone’s minds when abuse comes to light. How could this person have done what is being alleged? And, if so, how could the survivor have not spoken up more quickly? I didn’t tell about my abuse for many years. But, now, I want to push back the confusion and unmask the author of lies. I want other survivors to be set free by the truth that also freed me. Common Reasons As I’ve thought back over my own situation and talked with other survivors, here are some of the most common thoughts that someone who is being abused or assaulted has thought, not only hurting the survivor, but also prolonging silence about the abuse: They’ll think I wanted it to happen or No one will believe me. Abusers are manipulative. They cleverly identify the vulnerable, abuse them, and then redefine truth for them. Even when the survivor’s heart screams the truth, the abuser’s voice is loud in her ears. It convinces her that no one will ever believe she is anything other than an immoral, sinful, willing participant—if anyone even believes anything happened at all. It’s really my fault. Abusers often make themselves the victim in the aftermath of the abuse. They didn’t want to do it, but something in the survivor made them. They couldn’t help it. For the vulnerable—and particularly for those who have experienced any other form of abuse—this is particularly plausible. This is also extremely confusing when the survivor knows that he or she said “no,” or demonstrated some other unwillingness to participate, and yet becomes convinced that he or she actually caused it. But he’s not really that bad. Abusers are sometimes both villain and hero. It’s possible for someone who is sexually abusing someone else to demonstrate tremendous care for them in other facets of the relationship. This does not in any way discount or minimize the horror, sin, and legal issues associated with abuse and assault, but it does contribute to why a confused survivor may not report the abuse. The abuser’s mixed actions lead the survivor to question whether the situation really is as bad as it seems. I don’t want to hurt his family. Abusers aren’t generally living in isolation. They have a family. Often a spouse and children. Perhaps grandchildren. Since abuse most often occurs in the context of relationship, it’s not uncommon for the survivor to know—and even care about—the family of the abuser. And there is no possible way to report sexual abuse or assault without devastating the family of the abuser. This is what most strongly stopped me for so long and is also why this article is being written anonymously. I don’t want to bring any additional pain to those who were also victims in this situation—victims whose worlds have also been turned upside down. They deserve compassion, space, and grace. Loving with Truth Knowing this, how should Christian friends, family members, and leaders respond when a survivor reports abuse? The thing that has been most helpful for me is also very simple: “I’m sorry” and “I believe you.” Those sentences, said with conviction and care, corrected for me the strongest lies and set me on a path to the wholeness that Christ always intended. If you have experienced abuse in the past, I encourage you to reach out to a counselor or trusted friend and share your experience. If you are currently experiencing abuse, I encourage you to not only share with a counselor or friend, but also to immediately go to the police. If you are the friend of someone who has come forward as an abuse survivor, pray for them, let them know you are sorry and you believe them, then let them determine what they share and how they share it. And as you pray, pray also for the abuser and his or her family, that they too might experience the fullness of Christ in their circumstances. Sexual abuse is naturally destructive, but we serve a supernatural God who can redeem the bleakest of circumstances for all of those who have been harmed. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• DuckDuckGo Taps Apple Maps to Power Private Search Results

We're excited to announce that map and address-related searches on DuckDuckGo for mobile and desktop are now powered by Apple's MapKit JS framework, giving you a valuable combination of mapping and privacy. As one of the first global companies using Apple MapKit JS, we can now offer users improved address searches, additional visual features, enhanced satellite imagery, and continually updated maps already in use on billions of Apple devices worldwide. With this updated integration, Apple Maps are now available both embedded within our private search results for relevant queries, as well as available from the "Maps" tab on any search result page. Let's see it in action… With the example query pizza in Cupertino, the map appears as a module within the search results. Clicking on the map image opens an expanded map. Clicking an item on the sidebar highlights that location, for you to zoom into. Try it out with one of the many different ways you can search for places on DuckDuckGo: Search for an address Search for a geographical place Search for a local business Search for a type of business Search for places nearby At DuckDuckGo, we believe getting the privacy you deserve online should be as simple as closing the blinds. Naturally, our strict privacy policy of not collecting or sharing any personal information extends to this integration. We do not send any personally identifiable information such as IP address to Apple or other third parties. For local searches, where your approximate location information is sent by your browser to us, we discard it immediately after use. You are still anonymous when you perform map and address-related searches on DuckDuckGo. You can read more about our anonymous localized results here. We’re excited to work closely with Apple to set a new standard of trust online, and we hope you'll enjoy this update. We also welcome your feedback, which can be sent via the "Send feedback" button at the bottom of search results. For more privacy advice, follow us on Twitter & get our privacy crash course. View the full article

in Computers & Technology

• Church Planter, Redefine Success and Seek Emotional Health

“Can you brothers pray for me? I’m mentally, physically, and emotionally depleted from pushing all week despite being sick. I’m so discouraged I don’t even want to go to our gathering today, let alone preach.” This was a text I sent a few dear brothers several weeks ago. Gripped by anxiety and physically zapped, I sat in my car and sobbed uncontrollably an hour before our worship gathering began. I’d hit a wall. Most church-planting training doesn’t prepare you for these moments. Don’t get me wrong: Most training I know about is solid and robust. But as I’ve planted a church, I’ve been faced with challenges that have taken a toll on my emotional wellbeing. How do I process the pain of betrayal or having my trust broken? Whom do I confide in about pastoral issues? Who will shepherd my soul amid stress and difficulties while I’m learning to lead? I believe the lack of attention given to emotional health in church planting has yielded a culture where we ignore or downplay certain issues—until a brother falls into sin, when we’re all forced to step back and ask: Why? We mustn’t underestimate the emotional costs involved in planting a church. Whether it be the constant change, pervasive uncertainty, isolation, support raising and recruiting, leadership development, frenetic pace, or unrealistic expectations—church planters need to manage all of these, not to mention the daily responsibility to lead people in the truth. Redefining Success Many look at the size, scale, and number of services to evaluate “success.” Perhaps one of the main reasons many church planters crumble inwardly is because they’ve bought into these false assessments of true success. Some (myself included) observe the ministries or gifts God has given to others, compare ourselves, and then are driven to doubt and despair. I’ve spoken with countless planters who are discouraged because they feel their churches don’t measure up. And I believe many are driven to despair in part because “bigger” and “faster” have eclipsed faithfulness as our ultimate aim. Or more subtly, the assumption becomes that these things are the fruit of faithfulness. But this could not be further from the truth: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. There is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have loved his appearing. (2 Tim. 4:7–8) Imagine Paul evaluating his ministry as we often do. If size and speed had been his metrics for success, then ending up in prison would have been the utmost failure, and surely no reason to rejoice. But rejoice he did (Phil. 1:18–19). So instead of growing despondent because of what we don’t have, what if we praised God for uniquely equipping us for our church-planting task? Planting through Pain Pain and church planting are inevitably intertwined. Paul’s ministry was marked by being “afflicted, perplexed, persecuted, and struck down” (2 Cor. 4:8–9). While on my planting journey, I’ve watched many men, and their wives, wrestle with depression and anxiety. So how should we respond to the emotional pain we face? I’d suggest at least three ways. These are not exhaustive, but I believe they can help. 1. Acknowledge King David was candid about his pain. Instead of ignoring his heart, he expressed his loneliness, sorrow, and discouragement (Ps. 25:16, 31:10, 42:5, 69:29). First and foremost, we need to acknowledge our experience before the Lord—as David did—with raw honesty and humble trust. 2. Embrace Frailty When Paul told the Corinthians “we have this treasure in jars of clay,” he was embracing frailty. Why? “To show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us” (2 Cor. 4:7). I’ve experienced things inwardly I thought I’d never feel. I’ve felt worry from unrealistic expectations. I’ve known sorrow and loneliness due to the weight of shepherding people in dark places and being the lead pastor in a small church plant. I’ve felt the hurt of helping others who ended up turning on me and my family. But even still, so much of my pain comes from relying on my own strength. I need to repent, embrace my weakness, and take comfort as I rest in God’s power—accepting my limits instead of attempting to surpass them. God’s power is not manifested in our competence and capability. Rather, he displays his surpassing power precisely because, in and of ourselves, we are neither competent nor capable. 3. Don’t Fly Solo All difficulties are exacerbated when suffering alone. I know many pastors who scream “community” but are personally isolated. Planter, your heart needs tending and care. Find godly men who will bandage the wounds of your soul before you spiritually bleed out. As Dietrich Bonhoeffer aptly noted, “[Man] needs his brother solely because of Jesus Christ. The Christ in his own heart is weaker than the Christ in the word of his brother; his own heart is uncertain, his brother’s is sure.” Planting a church creates a uniquely dangerous opportunity for isolation. So pursue accountability. Don’t let the pressure make you to turn inward. Rather, ensure there are brothers and sisters who know you and will invest in you. Doing this will bless your family, your church, and your soul. Emotional health is complex, and there’s so much more that could be said. But the above three ways are foundational if we are to pursue humble dependence on Christ. And depending on him is far better than the size or “success” of any ministry. After all, church planter, apart from him you can do nothing (John 15:5). View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• De Blasio Rolls Out ‘Free’ Health Care Plan For Everyone. Yes, Including Illegal Immigrants

By Molly Prince - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he will be launching a plan to guarantee health care coverage for all residents, which includes illegal immigrants living in the city. “Health care is a human right. In this city we’re going to make that a reality,” De Blasio said during a press conference on Tuesday. “From this moment on, in New York City, everyone is guaranteed the right to health care. Everyone.” De Blasio explained a day earlier that the plan, referred to as “NYC Care,” will reach nearly 600,000 New Yorkers and cost taxpayers at least $100 million. The healthcare-for-all plan is not limited to American citizens and would also include individuals who cannot afford their existing plans. NYC Care is expected to first launch in the Bronx in summer 2019 and will be fully implemented throughout the city by 2021, according to Bloomberg. The progressive mayor stated that he believes NYC Care will act as a springboard for the rest of the country to follow suit and ultimately implement a nationwide universal health care program. “You might say ‘is this something that ideally should be handled in Washington D.C. or in Albany?’ Yes, it should,” De Blasio said. “Let me just make that clear from the outset. The ultimate solution is single-payer health insurance for this whole country or Medicare for all. That’s the ideal, that’s what we need.” NYC Care was revealed shortly after newly-elected California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a sweeping new statewide health care initiative that also covers illegal immigrants. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] De Blasio Rolls Out ‘Free’ Health Care Plan For Everyone. Yes, Including Illegal Immigrants is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Russian Lawyer Linked To Trump Tower Meeting And Fusion GPS Is Charged In New York Case

By Chuck Ross - Natalia Veselnitskaya, the Russian lawyer at the center of a firestorm over a June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower who also worked with the Democrat-connected opposition research firm Fusion GPS, was indicted on obstruction of justice charges in New York on Tuesday. According to the indictment, Veselnitskaya submitted an “intentionally misleading” declaration to the Justice Department in a civil case involving her client, Prevezon Holdings. The U.S. attorney’s office in New York sought millions of dollars from Prevezon as part of a civil case involving a massive money laundering scheme. The charges against Veselnitskaya are not related to the Trump Tower meeting, which was hosted on June 9, 2016 by Donald Trump Jr. But that meeting did center on issues related to Veselnitskaya’s work on behalf of Prevezon, which is controlled by a Russian businessman named Denis Katsyv. In the meeting, Veselnitskaya lobbied against the Magnitsky Act, a 2012 law that placed sanctions against Russian human rights abusers. As part of her work for Prevezon, Veselnitskaya mounted an aggressive campaign against Bill Browder, a London-based businessman who is the leading force behind the Magnitsky Act. Browder’s late lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, was arrested in 2009 while investigating Prevezon’s alleged money laundering scheme. He later died in jail, with Browder claiming that Magnitsky was murdered because of what he uncovered about Prevezon. Veselnitskaya worked closely with Fusion GPS to investigate Browder. Fusion compiled reports questioning Browder’s claims about Magnitsky and the Prevezon case. At the same time, Fusion was working on that project, the Washington, D.C.-based firm was also working with former British spy Christopher Steele on an investigation of Donald Trump’s possible ties to Russia. Veselnitskaya was with Fusion GPS founder Glenn Simpson on the morning before the Trump Tower meeting. Fusion GPS also provided information that Veselnitskaya provided to Russia’s prosecutor general, Yuri Chaika. That same information was included in a memo that Veselnitskaya took into her meeting with Trump Jr. The memo sought to link Browder to illegal campaign donations to Democrats. In Tuesday’s indictment, prosecutors claim that Veselnitskaya submitted a document in the civil case against Prevezon that she claimed was based on an independent analysis that supported the company. Instead, according to the government, Veselnitskaya helped draft the report “in secret coordination” with a senior Russian prosecutor. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Russian Lawyer Linked To Trump Tower Meeting And Fusion GPS Is Charged In New York Case is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.