The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
LoveAlone

Matthew 5, 29-30

29So if your eye—even your good eyel—causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your hand—even your stronger handm—causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Can someone exegete this passage for me? Thx for your time. Merry Christmas!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Is Matthew 12:40 using common idiomatic language?

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day of the week crucifixion folks, they frequently assert that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language. I wonder if anyone knows of any writing that shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights? If it is using common idiomatic language, there ought to be examples of that usage in order to be able to make that assertion.

in Bible Study

• Last Place Fantasy Football Team Invokes Matthew 19:30 Loophole, Declared To Be First

PORTLAND, OR—Derrick Martinez' fantasy football team is dead last in his church's annual league, having gone 0-13 so far this year. The rest of the men at church had counted him out as a playoff contender, pointing out that it's mathematically impossible for him to make a comeback. The post Last Place Fantasy Football Team Invokes Matthew 19:30 Loophole, Declared To Be First appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• Theology, Matthew 18:15-17, & Justice

I have been repeatedly asked to "forgive" my mother, but that does not mean I should not, or cannot punish her.  I want to follow Matthew 18 to do so, and for that I need witnesses. Many have counseled leaving, but ostracizing is supposed to only happen after she is confront Ed by witnesses.  Also, I have found no local church willing to cooperate with me.  I just don't want to judged for choosing to punish her.  I also want my theology submitted to theologian s, for judgment.  I am also doing this for stare decisis reasons, and am sick of guilt.  I can fill out more details, as needed.

in Christian Relationships

• Matthew 19:19-20 For Everyone?

I am a member of another forum and there has recently been a discussion on whether the Great Commission is for all Christians or only the apostles. What do you think?   Here is an article with my thoughts on the topic:   https://reformedtruths.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/go-ye-all-into-the-world/   At the end of Matthew’s Gospel we see the final instructions given by Christ to His Disciples: This command is pretty straightforward if read at face value with its plain meaning. They were to go and preach the Gospel to all people. But there have been questions regarding this passage and whether or not it would apply to all Christians or only to the Apostles themselves. (More at the blog)

in Bible Study

• Matthew 24:33-34

The meaning of Matthew 24:34 is clearer if you also consider the verse that precedes it.   33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.   Verse 33 shows Jesus is speaking of those who see the fulfillment of what he has already prophesied, not those to whom he is now speaking.

in Christian Eschatology

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.