The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Your Favorite Quotes

"The Word of God is like a lion. You don’t have to defend a lion. All you have to do is let the lion loose, and the lion will defend itself.” – Charles Spurgeon

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, William said:

In a discussion about Perseverance of the Saints someone dropped a bomb of a quote. Made me think in that moment the difference between "Perseverance of the Saints" and "Once Saved Always Saved":

“No man living is perfectly assured of God’s love, or is so certain, that he cannot be made more certain.” –Daniel Burgess (1645–1713) The Marks of a Godly Man

God bless,

William

William, the indisputable evidence of a genuine conversion is the Indwelling Holy Spirit. Anyone who has to doubt their salvation never had it to begin with . Eternal Security , John 10:26-29 . Jesus says to the Jews,, I told you and ye believed not, because ye are not of my sheep.... Fast forward to verse 28 "And I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand ."

The Holy Spirit seals until the day of redemption. 2nd Cor.1:22 , Eph.1:4, 4:13, We are the temple of the Holy Spirit , 1st.Cor. 6:19, Eph. 2:21,22 .

Those who try to deny eternal justification use for their "evidence" assorted scriptures that are twisted and bent to convince them that one can lose their salvation.   Think of this,,,, Do you actually believe that Jesus Christ would justify us by His suffering on the cross in our stead with unbearable pain and agony ,only to ultimately sever His relationship with us from being called Sons of God ? That would be the highest form of blasphemy.  If that were the case there would be no Church because there would be no saints to build upon it. No,,,salvation is forever ! M

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

The indisputable evidence of a genuine conversion is the Indwelling Holy Spirit.

Anyone who has to doubt their salvation never had it to begin with.

Hi Matthew, while I agree with you when you say that "the indisputable evidence of a genuine conversion is the indwelling of the HS", my question is, how is that demonstrated in the life of a believer? After all, there are many who "claim" to be Christians who have, as a result, claimed to have received the Holy Spirit as well, when clearly, they have not. 

As for the "doubting" thing, I will have to respectfully disagree with you about that. The reason I do is because it's hard to believe that there are 'any' true Christians, especially as babes in Christ, who never questioned whether they were saved or not, at least from time to time (especially since causing us to question our salvation is perhaps our enemy's favorite tactic, again, particularly with those who are young in the faith/have not had much experience dealing with him and all the trouble that he brings to bear in our lives).

--David

The impossible dream.

(partial lyrics)

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

I was surprised not to see "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." So much said in few words. and then one which I muse on daily . . . "I only do what I see My Father doing." . . .  so that is pretty much my day . . . What are You doing today, Father, and how can I help?

• Love 2

23 hours ago, Fyrelight said:

I was surprised not to see "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." So much said in few words. and then one which I muse on daily . . . "I only do what I see My Father doing." . . .  so that is pretty much my day . . . What are You doing today, Father, and how can I help?

love that quote. :O)

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, David Lee said:

Hi Matthew, while I agree with you when you say that "the indisputable evidence of a genuine conversion is the indwelling of the HS", my question is, how is that demonstrated in the life of a believer? After all, there are many who "claim" to be Christians who have, as a result, claimed to have received the Holy Spirit as well, when clearly, they have not. 

As for the "doubting" thing, I will have to respectfully disagree with you about that. The reason I do is because it's hard to believe that there are 'any' true Christians, especially as babes in Christ, who never questioned whether they were saved or not, at least from time to time (especially since causing us to question our salvation is perhaps our enemy's favorite tactic, again, particularly with those who are young in the faith/have not had much experience dealing with him and all the trouble that he brings to bear in our lives).

--David

Genuine believers are few in number and thankful to have the unique privilege of being called the "Sons of God. "

Evidence reveals itself in the form of  strong and undeniable truths that are only available to the true people of God .

Every true believer has the Spirit of Discernment indwelling them from the moment they received Christ. The Holy Spirit is God living in the believing . Deception arises when one claiming to be In Christ when they have no testimony to give . It is to them ,without their knowledge, " Profession without Possession ." Examine that and you will see that one is a mere "confession" based on what they did to consider themselves "saved" when they have not the Spirit of God dwelling in them . Those without the Holy Spirit cannot sue for the Fruits of the Spirit . They can effectively recite them ,but from a fleshly heart that only attest to their presence. So the opposite is what the natural man is living for . Gal. 5:19-21 . And that is the unredeemed heart that bears no evidence of a genuine conversion . God's wrath is reserved for the unbelieving reprobates . Rom.1:18-32. Read the difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Genuine believers are few in number and thankful to have the unique privilege of being called the "Sons of God. "

Evidence reveals itself in the form of  strong and undeniable truths that are only available to the true people of God .

Every true believer has the Spirit of Discernment indwelling them from the moment they received Christ. The Holy Spirit is God living in the believing . Deception arises when one claiming to be In Christ when they have no testimony to give . It is to them ,without their knowledge, " Profession without Possession ." Examine that and you will see that one is a mere "confession" based on what they did to consider themselves "saved" when they have not the Spirit of God dwelling in them . Those without the Holy Spirit cannot sue for the Fruits of the Spirit . They can effectively recite them ,but from a fleshly heart that only attest to their presence. So the opposite is what the natural man is living for . Gal. 5:19-21 . And that is the unredeemed heart that bears no evidence of a genuine conversion . God's wrath is reserved for the unbelieving reprobates . Rom.1:18-32. Read the difference.

AMEN and for emphasis I say it again AMEN!  LORD, I pray you keep your hands on this servant's heart as you have mine and please, always control his tongue, as you have here, that it and he, always, Glorify you not, as others glorify themselves.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• 20 Quotes on How Your Church Should Exhibit Loving Authority

The following quotes caught my attention as I read Jonathan Leeman’s helpful book The Rule of Love: How the Local Church Should Reflect God’s Love and Authority (Crossway, 2017). Love is not an abstract concept but a personal quality of God. . . . Anything called love that does not have its source in God is not love. (13) Don’t judge a gift by its abuses. (21) In a sense, this book is like a prequel or a prolegomena—a pre-word—to thinking about and living as the church. Many Christians today have a hard time grasping what the church is, because so many of our intuitions about love and authority are compromised. (23) People today worship not just the god of love but the god of options. . . . As a result, the idea of commitment is removed from the ingredients of love. (31) The local church should be the antidote to both individualism and tribalism, a place where each person stands individually before God and as a member of a new people and family. (33) We’re no longer duped into worshiping carved figures, but statistical figures do impress us. (35) God’s love simultaneously attracts and repels all of us. It’s a thing of beauty and a thing of gross offense to the fallen heart. Gaze upon the love of God from one angle, and it will appear as the most resplendent thing in all the universe. But walk a few yards and look up again, and you will find that your lip snarls, your fists clench, and your heart becomes morally offended. (42) The purpose of drawing lines [through church membership] is to say: “Here is a fountain of clean water; drink from it. Here are a people who love me with all their hearts, minds, souls, and strength. Do you see how attractive this blessed life is? Do you not want to repent and join them?” The line of exclusion means to provoke the desire for inclusion. It’s a closed door, but it’s a glass door that people can see through and open with the mere push of repentance and faith. (48) Selfish love always looks like gain, but it always yields loss. (78) Lest there be any confusion, every form of love, both healthy and unhealthy, imposes a set of laws. The love of a healthy body yields the laws of the diet. The love of learning yields the requirements of study. The love of a mistress rewrites the laws of marriage in the adulterer’s mind. What he formally deemed unacceptable he now tells himself is good and necessary. Love and law, or love and authority, are inseparable. The only question is, what do you most love? Right love leads to right obedience. Wrong love, to wrong obedience. And the standard of right is always the supremacy of God. God is best. (83) A church that chooses to emphasize God’s love but not God’s holiness is a church that doesn’t actually understand what God’s love is. (84) One of the greatest ironies of the postmodern West might be this: that pleasure for which our culture most emphatically rejects God—sex—is the very thing God has given humanity so that we might have an analogy, a category, a language for knowing what the unadulterated enjoyment of him will be like in glory. (94) The fire of the Father’s affection for the Son is so great that he wants hundreds of millions of faces to look just like Jesus’s face. (101) The Christian doctrine of justification is like love draped in a judge’s wig. (103) If we have not covenanted together with a local church, how do we know we’re not self-deceived about our commitments? (110) More than the headline makers, it’s the daily life of the average Christian that ultimately forms the world’s perception of Christ and his gospel. (115) Abandoning the practices of membership and discipline overlooks the evangelistic power of exclusion, to say nothing of the biblical pattern (e.g. Matt. 18:15–17; 1 Cor. 5). Paul, however, saw no conflict between characterizing the Corinthians as “ambassadors of reconciliation” and simultaneously calling them to separate themselves as a people (see 2 Cor. 5:20; 6:17). The evangelistic power of exclusion is the power of salt and light. It’s the power of distinctness. People see something different that they don’t have, and they want it. (127) Good authority works not just from the top down but also from the bottom up. Picture me at Disneyland, one daughter on my shoulders, another in hand, and chasing the third and fourth around the park doing all I can to please them. Or picture my wife driving from ballet practice to softball practice to piano practice. Like the authority of God, who is the “rock” on which we stand, so loving authority in creation is often about laying your life down as a platform on which others build their lives. That’s what I mean when I say it’s not just top-down; it’s also bottom-up. “I’ll supply you, fund you, resource you, guide you”—bottom-up. Yet also, “Here are the rules”—top-down. It’s both. Good authority binds in order to loose, corrects in order to teach, trims in order to grow, disciplines in order to train, legislates in order to build, judges in order to redeem, studies in order to innovate. Trust me, and I will give you a garden in which to create a world. Just keep my commandments. I love you. Good authority loves. Good authority gives. Good authority passes out authority. (142) So much of godly pastoring and parenting is about planting seeds and then waiting for God to give the growth. (148–49) Christianity is color-blind with regard to our salvation, but not with regard to the God-intended diversity of the body. A church’s challenge is to demonstrate color-blindness in all the right ways (“You are my brother/sister in Christ”) and color-consciousness in all the right ways (“You are different and wonderful and have new things to teach me”). True unity in Christ provides the security wherein diversity enlightens and delights, rather than threatens and offends. (152) Previously in the “20 Quotes” series: Tim Keller, The Prodigal Prophet (Viking, 2018) Glen Scrivener, Long Story Short (Christian Focus, 2018) Brian Seagraves and Hunter Leavine, Gender (The Good Book Company, 2018) John Onwuchekwa, Prayer (Crossway, 2018) Matthew McCullough, Remember Death (Crossway, 2018) Gustav Wingren, Luther on Vocation (Muhlenberg, 1957) Francis Grimké, Meditations on Preaching (Log College Press, 2018) Sam Allberry, Why Bother with Church? (Good Book, 2016) Jen Wilkin, In His Image (Crossway, 2018) Trevor Laurence, The Story of the Word (Wipf and Stock, 2017) Jonathan Leeman, How the Nations Rage (Thomas Nelson, 2018) Andy Johnson, Missions (Crossway, 2017) Alan Jacobs, How to Think (Currency, 2017) Tony Reinke, 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You (Crossway, 2017) Erik Raymond, Chasing Contentment (Crossway, 2017) Sinclair Ferguson, Devoted to God (Banner of Truth, 2016) Tim Keller, Hidden Christmas (Viking, 2016) Scott Sauls, Befriend (Tyndale House, 2016) Ray Ortlund, Marriage and the Mystery of the Gospel (Crossway, 2016) Jen Wilkin, None Like Him (Crossway, 2016) Tim Keller, Making Sense of God (Viking, 2016) Mark Dever, Understanding the Great Commission (B&H, 2016) Sinclair Ferguson, The Whole Christ (Crossway, 2016) Albert Mohler, We Cannot Be Silent (Thomas Nelson, 2015) Mark Dever and Jamie Dunlop, The Compelling Community (Crossway, 2015) Russell Moore, Onward (B&H, 2015) Rosaria Butterfield, Openness Unhindered (Crown & Covenant, 2015) Tim Keller, Preaching (Viking, 2015) Tim Keller, Prayer (Dutton, 2014) Kevin DeYoung, Taking God at His Word (Crossway, 2014) View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Favorite study Bible?

I am wondering what other Pentecostals recommend for a study Bible.  Thanks!

in General Faith

• ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ Ranks Second Place Among Americans’ Favorite Christmas Carols: Poll

By Evie Fordham - “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is the second-most popular Christmas carol and the most popular Christmas song among women, according to a user poll conducted by the messaging app MEi released Monday. The poll talked to 4,000 app users in the U.S. over the weekend and broke down the results by age, gender and even political party, a MEi spokesperson told The Daily Caller News Foundation Tuesday. It turns out that “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is the second-most popular Christmas song among both Republicans and Democrats, with 16 percent of Republicans ranking it as their favorite and 15 percent of Democrats. Only “Silent Night” surpassed “Baby It’s Cold Outside” in popularity, according to Mei’s user poll. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” has been blasted this holiday season by critics who say its lyrics are about sexual harassment. Some radio stations banned it, like Cleveland’s WDOK, which announced the decision on its website. “I do realize that when the song was written in 1944, it was a different time, but now, while reading it, it seems very manipulative and wrong,” WDOK’s Glenn Anderson wrote Nov. 27. “The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place.” But the song’s defenders have come up with some creative ways to show their support. A Kentucky radio station played a two-hour “Baby It’s Cold Outside” marathon on Sunday, alternating between five different versions of the tune. The song was first popularized in the 1949 film “Neptune’s Daughter” and made into a hit by crooner Dean Martin in 1959. His daughter Deana Martin defended the song on “Fox & Friends” Dec. 10. “I was absolutely flabbergasted,” Martin said about the backlash the song has received. “It’s just insane. When I heard it and I said, this can’t possibly be. You know, it’s a sweet, flirty, fun, holiday song that, well, it’s been around for 50 years.” MEi’s poll let users pick from a 2017 top 10 list of Christmas carols plus “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” Users’ other favorite songs from the list included “Jingle Bells,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” MEi is a messaging app with a twist — it uses artificial intelligence (AI) to analyze users’ conversations. According to a review on the website Android Headlines: Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ Ranks Second Place Among Americans’ Favorite Christmas Carols: Poll is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Favorite War Movie Clips ~ Rated R

Warning: These scenes have intense violent war action and may include an occasion vulgarity when a bullet whizzes by someone's head!   1st: Black Hawk Down (Based on a true story) The film takes place in 1993 when the U.S. sent special forces into Somalia to destabilize the government and bring food and humanitarian aid to the starving population. Using Black Hawk helicopters to lower the soldiers onto the ground, an unexpected attack by Somalian forces brings two of the helicopters down immediately. From there, the U.S. soldiers must struggle to regain their balance while enduring heavy gunfire.   As you may of remember up until this point the U.S. government could not confirm or deny the existence of Delta.   This is the Delta Sniper scene where a sniper and his scout volunteer to rescue and hold the perimeter around a downed black hawk chopper pilot. These two men gave their lives defending the pilot until their death:     2nd: Act of Valor (Based on real acts of Valor) An unprecedented blend of real-life heroism and original filmmaking, Act of Valor stars a group of active-duty U.S. Navy SEALs in a film like no other in Hollywood’s history. A fictionalized account of real life Navy SEAL operations, Act of Valor features a gripping story that takes audiences on an adrenaline-fueled, edge-of-their-seat journey. When a mission to recover a kidnapped CIA operative unexpectedly results in the discovery of an imminent, terrifying global threat, an elite team of highly trained Navy SEALs must immediately embark on a heart-stopping secret operation, the outcome of which will determine the fate of us all. Act of Valor combines stunning combat sequences, up-to-the-minute battlefield technology, and heart-pumping emotion for the ultimate action adventure film–showcasing the skills, training and tenacity of the greatest action heroes of them all: real Navy SEALs.   Make sure you crank up the audio to listen to the gun boats during a HOTTTT Extraction!    

in Military

• Transgender Contestant Is Favorite to Win Miss Universe

The first transgender contestant to compete in the Miss Universe pageant is the favorite to win the crown. At least, that’s what the gambling oddsmakers say. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.