Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Are you sure some of it is not conclusive? 

No, in fact, I acknowledged that some was. Granted that doesn't really change my earlier points.

 

9 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

I guess I am OK with people using it as long as it is for real medical conditions which it does help with or if recreational legal in the state as long as you do not drive on the stuff and obey the laws. 

You can't use it and follow the laws. Even if a state "legalized it" it is against federal law. In other words, it is not legal in any city in the United States due to federal law.

 

10 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

I think it is better for you than alcohol and I think it does serve medical purposes.

So does alcohol.

 

10 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Moderation is the key if legal in the State.

Except it isn't legal anywhere technically.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

No, in fact, I acknowledged that some was. Granted that doesn't really change my earlier points.

 

You can't use it and follow the laws. Even if a state "legalized it" it is against federal law. In other words, it is not legal in any city in the United States due to federal law.

 

So does alcohol.

 

Except it isn't legal anywhere technically.

Follow state laws here.  I think soon it will be federally legal.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CDF47 said:

Follow state laws here.  I think soon it will be federally legal.

But until it is, any Christian who uses it in the United States is sinning by default for intentionally breaking the law.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

But until it is, any Christian who uses it in the United States is sinning by default for intentionally breaking the law.

They are obeying state laws.  The state says it is fine within certain limitations.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

They are obeying state laws.  The state says it is fine within certain limitations.

State laws don't override federal laws. So it doesn't matter if the state says it is ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2016 at 4:33 PM, JoelNL231 said:

Hey, i'm wondering what is the bibical, and what is your personal opinion about Weed? I know that the bible discusses mind altering drugs, but not weed specificaly and it has been scientifically proven that Weed isn't that bad for you at all, it actually helps recreating brain cells and stops and in some cases even heals cancer.

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to use it, i'm just curious about it.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

I think according to the Bible this is one of those might be a sin for one person and not a sin for another. Pot has been known to lead many down a very lazy non-productive Road. Yet some others seem not to be affected that much. Should be handled with much care.

M-Bob 

Edited by Mountainmanbob

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Mountainmanbob said:

I think according to the Bible this is one of those might be a sin for one person and not a sin for another. Pot has been known to lead many down a very lazy non-productive Road. Yet some others seem not to be affected that much. Should be handled with much care.

M-Bob 

In the United States, it is a sin for every Christian as it breaks the law.

Share this post


Link to post

With so many States legalizing marijuana now it probably won't be long before the federal government goes ahead and makes it legal.

 

Pot has been legal in California for a while with many stores available. I don't necessarily think it's the best thing but, it was bound to happen. There has been a push to legalize marijuana in California since the hippie days. They were determined that someday it would happen.

 

I see it just like drinking some people can drink a little bit no problem other people are drunks and shouldn't drink.

 

M-Bob 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, davidtaylorjr said:

State laws don't override federal laws. So it doesn't matter if the state says it is ok.

The state is the one enforcing the laws.  I think it does matter if the state says it is OK.

41 minutes ago, Mountainmanbob said:

With so many States legalizing marijuana now it probably won't be long before the federal government goes ahead and makes it legal.

 

Pot has been legal in California for a while with many stores available. I don't necessarily think it's the best thing but, it was bound to happen. There has been a push to legalize marijuana in California since the hippie days. They were determined that someday it would happen.

 

I see it just like drinking some people can drink a little bit no problem other people are drunks and shouldn't drink.

 

M-Bob 

 

42 minutes ago, Mountainmanbob said:

With so many States legalizing marijuana now it probably won't be long before the federal government goes ahead and makes it legal.

 

Pot has been legal in California for a while with many stores available. I don't necessarily think it's the best thing but, it was bound to happen. There has been a push to legalize marijuana in California since the hippie days. They were determined that someday it would happen.

 

I see it just like drinking some people can drink a little bit no problem other people are drunks and shouldn't drink.

 

M-Bob 

Well said.  That's how I see it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

I dont like the whole idea , Christians talking in support of putting this dope in markets ,Christians wanting to have the junk that the world has.

Come on to the little church around the corner we have pot parities after Bible Study we found out having the parties first didn't work out so well . It will open your mind you will have a deeper understanding of the Scripture.This  must be what Jesus meant when he said  He would send the Comforter 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Becky said:

I dont like the whole idea , Christians talking in support of putting this dope in markets ,Christians wanting to have the junk that the world has.

Come on to the little church around the corner we have pot parities after Bible Study we found out having the parties first didn't work out so well . It will open your mind you will have a deeper understanding of the Scripture.This  must be what Jesus meant when he said  He would send the Comforter 

For people with depression, anxiety, and PTSD it helps them cope.  Not saying it is the best coping skill or any thing like that but there are medical reasons for its use.  It has a calming affect for mental health patients from what I understand.  

Share this post


Link to post

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

 

Matt, 15:10 After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, “Hear and understand. 11“It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.

15Peter said to Him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16Jesus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? 17“Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? 18“But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. 19“For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. 20“These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man.”

 

Acts, 10:10 But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance; 11and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, 12and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. 13A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 14But Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.” 15Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.” 16This happened three times, and immediately the object was taken up into the sky.

 

1 Cor 10:23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD’S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. 27If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience? 30If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?

31Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

 

Federal Law?

Prescription drugs are now killing far more people than illegal drugs, and while most major causes of preventable deaths are declining, those from prescription drug use are increasing, an analysis of recently released data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) by the Los Angeles Times revealed.

The Times analysis of 2009 death statistics, the most recent available, showed:

For the first time ever in the US, more people were killed by drugs than motor vehicle accidents

37,485 people died from drugs, a rate fueled by overdoses on prescription pain and anxiety medications, versus 36,284 from traffic accidents

Drug fatalities more than doubled among teens and young adults between 2000 and 2008, and more than tripled among people aged 50 to 69

Again, these drug-induced fatalities are not being driven by illegal street drugs; the analysis found that the most commonly abused prescription drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, Xanax and Soma now cause more deaths than heroin and cocaine combined.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/26/prescription-drugs-number-one-cause-preventable-death-in-us.aspx

 

Alcohol is responsible for about 88,000 deaths in the U.S. each year, according to a new government report on the toll of excessive drinking. https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-alcohol-related-deaths-years-lost-sxsw-20140313-story.html

 

According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use (3). An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to the obesity epidemic https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

 

Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S., causing over 438,000 deaths per year.

Secondhand smoke is a serious health hazard for people of all ages, causing more than 41,000 deaths each year. https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects.html

 

In Christ

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
17 minutes ago, islandrazor said:

Prescription drugs are now killing far more people than illegal drugs, and while most major causes of preventable deaths are declining, those from prescription drug use are increasing, an analysis of recently released data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) by the Los

When folks say things like the above i ask are those prescriptions taken as advised or abused? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Becky said:

When folks say things like the above i ask are those prescriptions taken as advised or abused? 

The drugs I suspect were largely abuse as was the food, alcohol and tobacco. My point was Federal approval is no indicator of safe nor harmful effects. My primary argument was as follows:

Gen 1:29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so. 31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

God seems to think it is all good. However....

As man discovers, understands, manipulates and consumes more of Gods’ creation, we don’t always comprehend all the ramifications of use, over use, abuse and improper chemical combinations.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Becky said:

When folks say things like the above i ask are those prescriptions taken as advised or abused? 

They are not being taken as advised, no.

 

Again, all of those arguments are irrelevant. It is against the law, intentionally breaking the law (as long as that law is not overruled by God's law) then it is sin.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

They are not being taken as advised, no.

 

Again, all of those arguments are irrelevant. It is against the law, intentionally breaking the law (as long as that law is not overruled by God's law) then it is sin.

 

That is true but the worldly people care not what we call sin. Prohibition made alcohol illegal and all it accomplished was it opened the black market up for business with all its related crime. All the war on drugs has accomplished is to fill up our prisons and strain our tax revenues. We need to do something different. You can't rule an unruly people. They are going to do what they want anyway. The reasons to decriminalize marijuana and tax it are sound. It is already widely used in medicine because they are already working around the laws. We can regulate its use only if we legalize it.  :RpS_thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

Some of the same reasoning used for the abortion industry.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
On 12/9/2018 at 8:15 PM, davidtaylorjr said:

They are not being taken as advised, no.

 

Again, all of those arguments are irrelevant. It is against the law, intentionally breaking the law (as long as that law is not overruled by God's law) then it is sin.

Yes, but we're in quite a predicament at the moment. The State is not only violating Federal law in this area but also in regard to more pressing matters like Sanctuary Cities. Then to compound the problem the State is prosecuting anyone that complies with the Federal Government. And what kills me is that when someone questions the ethic of the State etc encouraging others to break the law advocates hide behind the 1st amendment.

 

Personally, I think there are more pressing matters for the government and I don't want them micro-managing my life. Of course this is not to suggest that if someone cannot responsibly use any substance that they should not bear penalty. Call me a classical Libertarian but I want as little intervention from the government as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/9/2018 at 12:11 PM, Origen said:

I never said it was.  I just put it out there for others to consult.  However no doubt some will disagree with your assessment.

 

Many in this thread keep referring to "studies" but not one person provided any information concerning those studies.

None will that have the actual experience of continuous usage, we know better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
2 hours ago, Bill Taylor said:

None will that have the actual experience of continuous usage, we know better.

I said nothing about continuous usage nor did I suggest anyone should use cannabis.  I merely provided information.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, deade said:

We can regulate its use only if we legalize it.  :RpS_thumbup:

That is a terrible way to look at it. We should also then legalize cocaine, heroin, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Becky said:

Some of the same reasoning used for the abortion industry.    

Yes, but there is no comparison between them.  Abortion is horrible.  Marijuana is used for some medical reasons (when seriously taken this way) and is now State wide legal in 10 states.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

That is a terrible way to look at it. We should also then legalize cocaine, heroin, etc.

 

 

There is no comparison between marijuana and cocaine, heroin,...  Marijuana is more like alcohol than those drugs.  Although I believe marijuana is even less harsh than alcohol.  I know there are risks like any other drug, including over the counter drugs, there is a risk of permanent psychosis with marijuana from what I have been told by a mental health professional.

20 hours ago, deade said:

 

That is true but the worldly people care not what we call sin. Prohibition made alcohol illegal and all it accomplished was it opened the black market up for business with all its related crime. All the war on drugs has accomplished is to fill up our prisons and strain our tax revenues. We need to do something different. You can't rule an unruly people. They are going to do what they want anyway. The reasons to decriminalize marijuana and tax it are sound. It is already widely used in medicine because they are already working around the laws. We can regulate its use only if we legalize it.  :RpS_thumbup:

It's regulated like alcohol in my state according to the title of the law.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Origen said:

I said nothing about continuous usage nor did I suggest anyone should use cannabis.  I merely provided information.

And I did not mean to step on your toes but rather sought to ground you in truth.  Having used the junk for years and watched good men and women fry their brains on the junk I have first hand information that MJ is not the substance that is best for pain.  Your post, presented in the fashion it was forwarded in lends itself to legalizing the nasty little worm and I object because I know.


I suppose you might have an issue with some of us Combat Veterans that have used, just, about everything, legal and otherwise to remain productive and to overcome the pain we came back to the US with.  But the fact is, I have been there and returned and MJ does turn long term users into mental baboons, and it is the Gateway Drug to many other illegal drugs.

 

I'm thinking this is not the conversation you might have hoped for but it is the one this nation needs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
29 minutes ago, Bill Taylor said:

And I did not mean to step on your toes but rather sought to ground you in truth.

No offense but I don't need anyone to ground me in truth.  I can read, do research, and have my own personal experiences to draw upon.  Your own personal experiences are yours and are not necessarily applicable to others.  In cases like this I prefer scientific studies, doubt blind tests, investigations devoid of emotion, and not subjective personal experiences.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.