The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Deidre

This month marks my one year anniversary returning to Christianity

Just wanted to share with you all, as this time last year is when I came back to Christianity. I was an atheist before it happened, but grew up in the faith. I'd say that my faith now, is worlds away from the faith it was when I left it. I'm born again, and it's a beautiful feeling to know that the love of God is everlasting, and is always there for us. I separated myself from God, stopped believing, but Jesus led me back to Him last year. I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit, and my life has never been the same, since. I try to share my testimony with all in the world who I come across, as we are to be instruments of God for others. May you all shine your light brightly for all to see that Jesus is working in your life. :)

• Like 4

Thank you, motirattan! :)

Went to church today, and this particular church is filled with the Spirit of God. The message had to do with Discipleship and that Jesus taught that we must become fishers of men, as a follower of His. How much do we share the Gospel message with others? If you want someone to know something, whether it's about a restaurant or song you might have heard, you discuss it. You bring it up...''hey have you tried this restaurant?'' But, we don't do this as often as we should in our everyday lives when it comes to the message of Jesus. I want to be a fisher of men.

Satan has his hook in the water, too...and many are attaching themselves to it. He also said that fish don't swim to us when we go fishing, we have to go find the fish. It was a powerful message!

• Like 2

May you all shine your light brightly for all to see that Jesus is working in your life. :)

Your admonishment (which I thank you for) reminds me of the subject of one of my favorite Kari Jobe songs*.

[video=youtube_share;B07iK9uh9qY]

It also sounds like you had a wonderful church service today :)

*(available in HD if you so choose)

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 1

Your admonishment (which I thank you for) reminds me of the subject of one of my favorite Kari Jobe songs.

[video=youtube_share;B07iK9uh9qY]

It also sounds like you had a wonderful church service today :)

:)

You know, it's funny you bring up ''admonishment.'' I never thought that was a good thing to do, but in today's message at church, the pastor made it clear that if we are to be true followers of Christ, we should be willing to speak on behalf of Christ into another's life. Not in condemnation, but in love. As Christ would speak to us, and then that person will go on to be a 'fisher of men,' too. It was a very sobering message.

• Like 1

Hi Deidre, I know what you're saying, so perhaps it's my understanding of the word, "admonishment"? I know that it's principle meaning is probably negative, as in a caution against doing something (or not doing something, I suppose), or as a reproof. Biblically however, I always see an admonishment as a positive, as a "reminder" which is for God's glory (of course), for my good, and/or, as an urging on to do that which is good for others (as we find in a short passage like Hebrews 10:24-25 ... speaking of a Biblical admonishment involving church :)).

As such, I see the Lord's command to us in Matthew 5:14-16 (which is the subject of Kari's song) to be an admonishment to us as well.

Yours in Christ,

David

• Like 1

Staff

:)

You know, it's funny you bring up ''admonishment.'' I never thought that was a good thing to do, but in today's message at church, the pastor made it clear that if we are to be true followers of Christ, we should be willing to speak on behalf of Christ into another's life. Not in condemnation, but in love. As Christ would speak to us, and then that person will go on to be a 'fisher of men,' too. It was a very sobering message.

@Deidre,

Just curious did you think about any of the threads you were engaged in when you learned this today? The reason I ask is because "others" can say things until they are blue, but a person just won't listen it seems until they learn it on their own or from a trusted source. I must say that this frustrates me more than anything, but I have learned to cease discussion and refrain from bible bashing because no good comes from it.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

@Deidre,

Just curious did you think about any of the threads you were engaged in when you learned this today? The reason I ask is because "others" can say things until they are blue, but a person just won't listen it seems until they learn it on their own or from a trusted source. I must say that this frustrates me more than anything, but I have learned to cease discussion and refrain from bible bashing because no good comes from it.

God bless,

William

lol Yes, I did think about them. I don't accept correction from mean spirited people, though. You are not like that, you have always been just and kind, but I've crossed paths with some who are, and as believers, we should be kind to one another.

• Like 1

Deidre, if you can go to Life.Church Online Campus( http://www.live.life.church ), their current message is all about this. Hope you'll enjoy. God Bless you sister!

Thank you, I'm sorry, I just saw this and will check it out today! :)