The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
NetChaplain

His Perfect Purpose

Oh, the joy that can dwell in the lives of the saints when our understanding of the work of God in us is clearly seen in His Word. The learning of the greatest lessons come the hardest and the latest, all due to instruction in patience, from which of the Lord’s provisions His Spirit uses to “conform” believers the most in bringing forth the most pleasant of His fruit that manifests the strength of faith—joy!

“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work that you may be perfect and complete (mature), lacking nothing” (Jam 1:2-4). Every difficult occurrence in the lives Christians, along with those deemed self-incurred, has already been arranged to result to our advantage, and it is the one whose joy has been learned in the forging of the trials of hardness (mine thus far losing four immediate family members within a 15 year period) who’s understanding of God’s intents will “shine” (Mat 5:16) the brightest light on the path of the lost to Him!

-NC

His Perfect Purpose

If our hearts were in happy fellowship with the Father, and in cooperation with His wondrous ways and arrangements, which are all for the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ, we could not refuse or dissent from His calling on us for our quota to the great circle of His purpose, in which we should feel ourselves included.

If we are really and heartily interested in His purpose and ways, and carefully entering in them, and devoted to them, when we found that He considered it necessary that Lazarus, or even one much dearer to us, should sleep, we should, though unable to see why we are so heavily taxed, bow our heads and submit to any call on us, because reckoning on the wisdom of His will and counsel (Eph 1:11), and knowing that He is making “all things work together,” are not only “for good” to us, but for His glory.

I must get to this high level, or I never can comprehend or become resigned to the varied discipline by which our Father is carrying out His own purpose, while severing us from the “old man,” practically setting the flesh aside, “that the life of the Lord Jesus may be made manifest in our body.”

It is an exercise to our faith, until we get able to rest in the assurance that His way (which involves all that He knows will occur within a believer’s life—NC) is perfect, and the only true and effectual way for subduing the particular kind of nature which each has. Faith in His ways is required before we have intelligence as to His ways.

I must believe in the skill of a physician before I can confidently submit to perhaps very painful remedies. But when I come to understand his object, and the necessity for those remedies, it is not only faith in his skill, but appropriation of his mode of treatment.

It is long with some of us before the appropriation comes; and it is plain that we should be miserable under the treatment, if we had not faith, or in other words, confidence in the skill. If you have this confidence, you can cheerfully submit, even though, like Job, you may not approve. But when you have real fellowship with His purpose, you will approve; it will be grateful to your heart to bow, and you will find that what your Father considers the right thing can be nothing else than the best for you. “For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose” (Rom 8:28).

- J B Stoney

Miles J Stanford devotional: http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• 1 Corinthians 13:8-10. What is the perfect that is to come?

1Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tounges, they shall they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.   So what is the "perfect"? It could be the return of Christ, or it could be the completion of the the Bible and/or the maturing of the early Church.   Perfect can mean percfet, flawless, lacking absolutely nothing. Or it can mean mature. 1Corinthians 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are prefect: yet not wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought.   Cleary "perfect" means mature in this verse, so why not in 1Corinthians 13:8-10? Notice that Paul continues to talk about wisdom in the next verses.   1Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child I talked like a child, I understood like a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.   Stay strong in Christ and be blessed.    

in Pentecostal

• Sound Guy Carefully Adjusts Bass Guitar Channel To Perfect Level: Zero

CARSONVILLE, AZ—Ahead of Sunday morning's church service at Victory Baptist Church, sound guy Ralph Anderson drew on his years of experience running sound for various services and events to carefully adjust the bass guitar channel to the perfect level: zero. The post Sound Guy Carefully Adjusts Bass Guitar Channel To Perfect Level: Zero appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• Parents and Children on the Lord's Day - Together on Purpose

By Pastor John Samson We believe it is a great privilege for a child to grow up in a Chriswrtian home and for the entire family to worship together, week in and week out in the Sunday morning worship service. Over time, this teaches the child much in the way of what a normal life as a Christian is to look like as well as the necessary connection each of us is to have with the local church. Here at King’s Church, we believe parents should keep their children with them throughout the entire service. Let me say this again (in different words) – rather than children or teens attending their own meetings separate from their parents, we believe that the Biblical pattern is for families to worship together. The only exception we see to this (both now and in the future) is to provide a safe place for the under 3’s in a nursery. However, we do not wish to segregate older children and teens from the rest of the congregation – sending them off to different rooms or buildings. Instead, on earth, as it is in heaven, young and old together, with one voice in unity, we the gathered people of God worship Him together. We also believe that there are times when it is entirely appropriate for specialized ministry to take place (outside of the Lord’s Day morning service). One Biblical example of this is that older women are exhorted to teach the younger women (Titus 2:3-5), which presumably means that men are excluded from such a gathering. While in no way wishing to be divisive or suggest that we are the only church in town obeying God, we practice “Family Integrated Worship” because of certain convictions we have. As we examine the Biblical data, we find that throughout the centuries this has been the normal way in which the people of God have gathered. This is clear from both the Old and New Testaments. View the full article

in Soteriology and Reformation Theology

• Trump Criticized For Using US Military For Bizarre Purpose Of Defending Nation's Borders

WASHINGTON, D.C.—President Trump is under heavy criticism after announcing the deployment of thousands of troops to the United States-Mexico border, with critics slamming him for using the military for the bizarre purpose of defending the country. The post Trump Criticized For Using US Military For Bizarre Purpose Of Defending Nation's Borders appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• Perfect Origin, Security and Destiny

In John XVII we find the Son in vocal communion with the Father. Turning from earth He looks up, and we hear Him giving out the thoughts common to Him and the Father, speaking of the origin, security and the destiny of those who are sharers of the Father’s love. He takes them up as a people who have not anything to do with the world, begins with them as seen before the foundation of the world connected with Himself by the Father. No origin can be higher, no blessedness—nothing like that!   Thus to get back to God the Father is one of the most blessed of thoughts. To be able to look on any individual who is one spirit with the Lord Jesus, and to think that there is one whom He had given Him of the Father before the world was! Given to Him, but, before that, belonging to the Father. “Thine they were and Thou gavest them to Me.” Not only that, the beginning of our blessing, but He tells of it in a scene where none of the evil now present with us is to be found. Our standing in the Father’s thought before even the world was is what we get here. It was Thy counsel and plan, all known to Me to be My reward, that they should be sons and heirs.   What a blessed thought put forth by the Lord Jesus that they should be made so one with Himself that the glory (son-ship via the Gospel of Christ – John 1:14; 17:5—NC) given to Him could be given to them; that they should be manifested as the people of His love, in whom His glory will be displayed. The moment He lets them hear of the glory given to Him, they hear also that He proposes to act in all the largeness of His love and share it all with them.   He does not look to their joy in the wilderness—that is not their destiny; He looks to the future scene, to the time when all that now is shall have crumbled and passed away. He turns to the Father’s house, where all the people loved of the Father will be, to be the manifestation of His glory. Ah! Dwell upon the Lord Jesus’ thoughts for you, that the heart of this Lord should delight in the hour of His own dying distress, to unfold the origin, security and destiny of those given Him by the Father for their comfort when He was to be taken from them.   The people will never understand what manner of person they ought to be down here, unless they have laid hold of the Lord Jesus’ thoughts about them. Those three things, their origin, security and destiny must be brought to bear on every truth presented. His love in letting those thoughts flow out in our hearing ought to be very greatly marked by us. Having come out of heaven, and going back there, leaving us such a record of the Father’s love to those that were chosen in Him before they had a beginning.   If I have come into the Father’s presence it is as one who has proved the value of the Blood of His Son. It is the answer to every difficulty, because it is the answer that satisfied God, even the Blood of His only begotten Son. Are you at ease in the presence of the Father, in those moments when a sense of the holiness of God is most pressing upon your soul? Have you such an answer that you are able to say, “I should be afraid not to be at perfect ease and rest in His presence, because of that answer?” Shall I be ill at ease in treading that path, when I find that my Father in His holiness can turn and look on me there with perfect satisfaction, on the ground of the work done by His Son?   - G V Wigram       Excerpt from MJS devotional for Oct 23:   “The inward exercise of Romans Seven and the testing of the wilderness serve the purpose of teaching us what sin in the flesh is, and what is in our hearts; while such special discipline of the Father as Paul’s thorn in the flesh is rather to protect us from the unalterable tendencies of the flesh. The latter is always needed, and goes on in one form or other to the end of our course here.” -MJS   “We belong to another sphere altogether. We have died, and our life is hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3). We are like a tree that has its roots in heaven, and its branches down here. No doubt our branches are fretted and ripped by the atmosphere here, but nothing can touch the roots up there. Planted inside, they flourish outside.” -J.B.S. http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

in General Faith

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.