The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
amelia88

What Bible Study are you doing right now?

Right now my PWOC group are doing the Restless Bible Study.

http://www.jennieallen.com/studies/restless/

So far I'm really enjoying it.

[video=youtube_share;kjH0Py5TJk0]

Here's a bit of information about the study - if you're in a PWOC group I would really recommend it! It's been enlightening so far.

Would love to hear what your Bible Study group is doing right now!

We are just reading Ephesians. Continuing with Chapter 2. We average about 3-4 weekly lessons per chapter. Ephesians 1 and 2 tends to have a lot that people need to talk about.

We are just reading Ephesians. Continuing with Chapter 2. We average about 3-4 weekly lessons per chapter. Ephesians 1 and 2 tends to have a lot that people need to talk about.

Ephesians definitely has a lot of meaty discussion topics! One of my favorite verses is from Ephesians Chapter 2!

Ephesians 2:4-5 “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—“

Hope you are enjoying your study, and getting a lot out of it :)

• Like 2

Staff

We are studying John. A year into the Bible study and we just now entered into chapter 4.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Does Bible say "Don't look at signs."?

I was taught that the Bible says "Don't look at signs.", that it is something pagan to look at signs.   But today I tried to search this commandment in the Bible but not found it.   So: Does Bible teach to look at signs or not to look at signs?

in Bible Study

• Free Bible Reading and Study Tools

Please share your favorite tools for Bible reading/study. I am fond of the free tools available at Fatihlife, especially the Faithlife Study Bible and Lexham Bible Dictionary. Go here to sign up for free: https://bible.faithlife.com/

in Christian Life

• Harvest Bible Chapel Announces that Lead Pastor James MacDonald Will Take an 'Indefinite Sabbatical'

Less than a week after dropping their lawsuit against three critics of the church, Harvest Bible Chapel has announced that its founder and lead pastor James MacDonald will be taking an “indefinite sabbatical.” View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• New Florida Bill Will Require Public High Schools to Offer Classes on the Bible and Religion

Florida state legislators recently introduced a new bill that will require the school districts to offer classes on the Bible in public high schools. View the full article

• How to Teach Your Teen to Study the Bible

Parents contact me frequently to ask what devotionals or young adult Bible studies I would recommend they do with their teens. As our kids enter the teen years, our responsibility as parents is to help them develop good habits of interacting with the Bible. Finding an approach that is age-appropriate and manageable is key. My encouragement is to simply read the Bible with your teen in a way that models and trains Bible literacy—no special teen resource required. Your teen will be exposed to devotional content and topical studies at every turn, and they likely don’t need a resource targeted specifically at their demographic. Most teens are missing basic tools to help them read and learn the Bible on their own. By guiding them in some basic study methods, you can position them to use devotional and topical material with far better discernment and far greater benefit, as those types of resources assume a firsthand knowledge of the Bible many teens have not yet developed. Here is a simple approach that you can adapt to fit the age of your teen. 1. Pick a book of the Bible to read and discuss together. If you have never studied together, start with a shorter book like Jonah or James. If at all possible, tackle longer books like Genesis or Hebrews while you still have the opportunity to guide and shape their study method. The goal is to give your teen exposure to the value of studying an entire book from start to finish, as opposed to only studying topically or devotionally. If your church is doing a sermon series through an entire book of the Bible, you could align your discussions with the preaching schedule to add another layer to what you’re learning. 2. Get a copy of your selected book of the Bible that has room for taking notes. You can create this by copying one chapter at a time from Bible Gateway into a document. Set the margins to wide and the spacing to 1.5 so you have room to write. Or, you can purchase these great ESV Scripture Journals if you want something ready-made, usable, and attractive. Get a copy for you and for your child. 3. Set a schedule to meet once a week for a 30-minute discussion. Use a reading plan to help you break the text into readable increments. Most reading plans are set up for daily reading through the entire Bible over a specific period of time. Simply adapt the daily portions into weekly ones for the book of your choosing. For example, this ESV reading plan covers the book of James in eight days, but you could cover it in eight weeks using the same text divisions. Create a schedule for your discussion times that notes dates and passages to be discussed. A schedule for James might look like this: Week Discuss: 1 Intro questions 2 James 1 3 James 2:1–13 4 James 2:14–26 5 James 3:1–12 6 James 3:13–18 7 James 4:1–10 8 James 4:11–5:12 9 James 5:13–20   4. Get a bird’s-eye view. For your first discussion time, ask your teen to come with answers to the following questions about the book you’ve chosen: Who wrote the book? To whom was it written? When was it written? In what literary style was it written? What are the central themes of the book? A good study Bible can provide these answers, or an online resource like Bible Gateway. I also highly recommend the Bible Project’s “Explore” series, which gives overviews to books of the Bible. (Here is the page for James, to give you a feel for how and what they communicate.) As you read together through the book you’ve chosen, help your teen think about how the answers to these questions shape their understanding of the book’s message. 5. Prepare for discussion. Each week before you meet to discuss the text, both you and your teen prepare by doing the following: Read the week’s passage from start to finish. In the margin of the copy of the text: Write (or make a drawing of) the main idea of the passage. Write a one- to two-sentence summary of what you read. Find one attribute of God that the passage is teaching. (Here is a list of attributes that can help your teen practice reading the Bible with a Godward focus.) Write two things you observe in the margin. Write two questions you have about what you’ve read. 6. Meet to discuss. Go over what each of you has noted in your copy of the text during your personal study time. Compare your answers, observations, and questions. Look for answers to your questions in an accessible commentary or study Bible. You could also track down answers after you meet together and discuss them the following week. Then, explore the following questions together: How does this passage fit into the book as a whole? How does it flow from the previous section of the text? How does this passage minister to its original audience? How does it minister to us today? Is there a sin to confess? Is there cause for thanksgiving or praise to God? Is there a promise or truth to trust in? Is there an attitude to change or a motive to examine? Is there a command to obey or an example to imitate? Is there an error to confront or avoid? (Note that you have a rich opportunity to practice and model vulnerability with your teen in these questions.) 7. Pray together. Finally, ask the Holy Spirit to help you apply what you have learned. The teen years are pivotal discipleship years for our kids. In these years they feel a restlessness to enter into mature adulthood but often an accompanying lack of clarity about how to do so. Give them adult-sized tools for navigating their Bibles, and help them learn how to use them. Encourage them to use devotional and topical materials as supplements to, but not substitutes for, direct study of the Bible itself. Model good habits of Bible reading. And most of all, savor the shared learning that results when a parent and a teen sit down to open the Word together. View the full article

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.