The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Nahum

Good commentaries on the Sapiential Literature?

I've always had a deep love for the books of the Bible known as the Sapiential Literature: Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Songs (aka, Song of Solomon), and the apocryphal texts the Book of Wisdom and Sirach.

I thought I'd pose this question: what commentaries have you enjoyed on this body of work? Any you'd recommend that focus on individual books? How about the books or genre as a whole?

Thank you for sharing. :)

Staff

The majority of commentaries I use deal with the languages. If that is not a problem for you then Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms Series is excellent. A commentary series that you might like is The NIV Application Commentary These are based upon the NIV but every author is a first rate scholar.

Two books that serve as introductions are: An Introduction to the Old Testament Poetic Books by C. Hassell Bullock and Handbook on the Wisdom Books and Psalms by Daniel J. Estes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• LITERATURE began...

with Stan Lee and has gone downhill ever since.   Probably Fantastic Four # 1 by Marvel Comics denotes the beginning of LITERATURE (even though Stan Lee based FF sort of on an older DC Comics group called Challengers of the Unknown - 4 guys in similar costumes to FF)   There was an earlier DC group called THE DOOM PATROL; from which Lee ripped off ideas for THE X-MEN -- the older leader in a wheelchair and everything...   Stan Lee's TRULY ORIGINAL character, of course, was Spiderman.   DC Comics I would consider "pre-Literature"   I read Superman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern before I was enlightened into the Marvel world.

in Literature and Entertainment

• The Deity of Christ: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature

In "A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature" (BDAG, 3rd Edition) there are passages that are attributed to the Lord Jesus, but elsewhere they are in reference to God. This is not surprising since the Lord Jesus is God ("the supreme deity of biblical tradition"; cf. 1 Corinthians 10:22). While in other passages the Lord Jesus is clearly portrayed as God. The boldface below is mine.   Luke 17:16 and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'giving thanks' (eucharisteō): (of Jesus, who reveals himself as God in a miracle) Luke 17:16 (page 415).   1 Corinthians 7:25 Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): used in reference to Jesus (page 578). 2. Concerning 'trustworthy' (pistos): When Paul explains in 1 Corinthians 7:25 that the Lord graciously granted him the privilege of being πιστός, and uses this as a basis for his claim to be heard with respect, πιστός can hardly mean 'believing'; the apostle rather feels that in a special sense he has been called and commissioned because of the confidence God has in him (page 821).   1 Corinthians 10:22 Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? We are not stronger than He, are we? (NASB) 1. Concerning 'jealousy' (parazēloō): With sharp satire Paul says that God has reason to be jealous if the Corinthians engage in civil feasts where sacrifice is made to mere secondary divinities καὶ οὐ θεῷ (vs. 20), which is designedly ambiguous, referring either to deity generically (a god) or to the supreme deity of biblical tradition. The Corinthians are in effect insulting 'the Lord' (page 763). 2. Concerning 'stronger' (ischyros): Of Christ 1 Corinthians 10:22 (page 483).   2 Corinthians 3:16 but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'turns' (epistrephō): of a change in a sinners relation with God...2 Corinthians 3:16 (page 382). 2. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): Jesus...2 Corinthians 3:16 (page 578).   Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): used in reference to Jesus (page 578). 2. Concerning 'might' (ischys): of God (page 484).   Philippians 3:8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'knowing' (gnōsis): Paul had seen Christ the God-man, and the personal acquaintance with Christ Jesus was a matter of inestimable value for him Philippians 3:8 (page 203).   Colossians 2:9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form. 1. Concerning 'bodily form' (sōmatikōs): of Christ in him the whole fullness of Deity dwells bodily (page 984).   Colossians 3:22 Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'external service' (ophthalmodoulia): service that is performed only to make an impression in the owner's presence, eyeservice, not for its own sake nor to please God or one's own conscience, Ephesians 6:6; Colossians 3:22 (page 744). 2. Concerning 'fearing' (phobeō): with special reference to fear of offending...Christ: Colossians 3:22 (pages 1061-1062).   2 Thessalonians 1:9-10 (9) These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, (10) when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'glory' (doxa): of God's self (page 257). 2. Concerning 'comes' (erchomai): The idea of coming is even plainer in connection with the coming of the Human One (Son of Man), the return of Jesus from his heavenly home Mt 10:23; Ac 1:11; 1 Cor 4:5; 11:26; 2 Th 1:10 (page 394).   2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): as a designation of God (page 577). 2. Concerning 'faithful' (pistos): the 'Lord' (Christ), who is spoken of in the same way as God 2 Thessalonians 3:3 (page 821).   1 Timothy 1:12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'thank' (charis) in reference to what Paul rendered unto the Lord Jesus: charis in our literature as a whole, in the sense gratitude, refers to appropriate response to the Deity for benefits conferred (page 1080). When properly defining "the Deity" we see that the Lord Jesus is "God" as well as the "Supreme Being." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Deity?s=t   1 Timothy 1:14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'grace' (charis): The beneficence or favor of Christ (page 1079). 2. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): as a designation of God (page 577).   2 Timothy 2:13 If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'faithful' (pistos): the 'Lord' (Christ), who is spoken of in the same way as God 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 2 Timothy 2:13 (page 821).   Hebrews 1:6 And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, “AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM." (NASB) 1. Concerning the 'worship' (proskyneō) properly rendered unto the Lord Jesus: of deity in monotheistic cult (Deuteronomy 32:43 LXX) Hebrews 1:6 (page 882).   1 Peter 2:3 if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'kindness' (chrēstos): of God (page 1090). 2. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios) which refers to YHWH in the Old Testament: κύριος is also used in ref. to Jesus: in OT quotations, where it is understood of the Lord of the new community...εἰ ἐγεύσασθε ὅτι χρηστὸς ὁ κύριος 1 Peter 2:3 (cp. Psalm 33:9) (pages 577-578).   2 Peter 3:15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you. (NASB) 1. Concerning 'patience' (makrothymia): of Christ 2 Peter 3:15 (page 613). 2. Concerning 'Lord' (kyrios): as a designation of God (page 577).   Revelation 5:12 saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing.” (NASB) 1. Concerning 'might' (ischys) as used in reference to the Lamb: Used with δύναμις and similar words as attributes of God Rv 5:12; 7:12 (page 484).   Revelation 22:13 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” (NASB) 1. Concerning 'first' (prōtos): On the self-designation of the Risen Lord (page 893). 2. Concerning 'end' (telos): Of God (page 998).

in Apologetics and Theology

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.