The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Francis

Does Technology Affect Christianity

The rise of mobile apps has seen the Bible being converted into an app. Since there are many Bible versions, apps have also come in different versions. I was shocked to realise that one can easily edit what is written and write what they see suits them. If they share those apps then many people will be reading what is not correct. How are we going to know what is right or wrong for us to read?

The rise of mobile apps has seen the Bible being converted into an app. Since there are many Bible versions, apps have also come in different versions. I was shocked to realise that one can easily edit what is written and write what they see suits them. If they share those apps then many people will be reading what is not correct. How are we going to know what is right or wrong for us to read?

Francis, I personally don't know about such kinda apps. I usually use You Version Bible App and its not such kinda app.

While yes some perverted versions of bibles might mislead some Christians, I believe that most Christians who want to read a bible have read other bibles or have bibles at home and would immediately notice differences between what they read on their digital bibles/apps and the bibles they have at home. And this is the reason why people should go to church. It's a lot harder to deceive someone who knows what scripture says.

Staff

Francis, I personally don't know about such kinda apps. I usually use You Version Bible App and its not such kinda app.

Check out this article: https://carm.org/queen-james-bible

I think technology affects Christianity because I was watching a movie that began with a quote that was from the bible and it was a shocking kind of quote so I went to look it up and found it wasn't from the bible at all. Movie makers can make up whatever quotes they want and attribute it as God's Word and I find that completely shocking so it doesn't surprise me in the least that people could edit bibles and mislead others but as another member wrote I doubt that it would go unnoticed since a lot of us know our scriptures very well.

This is a double edge sword we are playing with here. Apps and technology can spread the gospels and teachings far and wide like never before. Now with a touch of a button you can connect and spread the word to a person half way around the world if you wanted to. Spreading the word and teaching has never been easier.

Now for the negative. Who controls the apps and is it true to the source material? Is everything on the up and up and not used as a tool to get advertisements in in hopes of profitzing.

• Like 1

What will happen is that the Bible's original text and meaning will gradually be obscured as more and newer 'apps' with translations that are further and further away from the original truth and meaning of the Bible are put out for public consumption. Shortly thereafter, there will a specific Bible version for everyone and only in the more obscure corners of the internet will the proper text be available. If one looks as the history books from the 1970s era to the current date, you will see a darker and more sinister tone depicting America as no longer a light/beacon shining on a hill but as a sinister and malevolent force who has much to atone for.

At the end of the day I believe the overall spread of the word of Christ through the internet greatly outweighs any potential negatives, the ability for people to access resources they otherwise wouldn't have even dreamed of is huge.

• Like 1

I have never heard of apps that you can revise like that. That's interesting. What is the point of reading the Bible on your tablet or computer if you have the capability to rewrite it anyway you feel like? Why not just get out your word processing software and write your own version and be done with it? I'm being facetious, of course, but that seems more logical than rewriting a version of the Bible to suit yourself. You could just write the "Word of Bob" or whatever.... sell it on Amazon, get rich and famous... etc. The problem is, there are too many people out there who can't allow us to have the Word of God, because it disagrees with what they believe. So, we are the ones who get hurt, while they get their own way, and the rest of the world gets more confused trying to figure out which version is which. It's ridiculous.

Well the short answer would have to be yes. Now that I think about it though, when it comes to overall faith then I would say maybe and hopefully not. The first that jumped into my head though was church services these days. We have projector screens up and the pastor has an iPad, so that is a little new, and I do not really care for it, but that is just me. Aside from that though I am not sure if the whole app thing is really that big. That could change, though, and might. Thanks for sharing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Objections to Christianity

I'm not sure if that question needs any more filler, it's a question that truly haunts me. If God heals cancer, all manner of illnesses, etc...then why are there never stories of arms and legs growing back? That to me would be plainly obvious that it wasn't medical science that is healing people.   What are your thoughts?

in Exploring Christianity

• Lady Gaga Says Mike Pence Is ‘Worst Representation’ of Christianity

Lady Gaga criticized Vice President Mike Pence Saturday for his support of a Christian school, saying he’s the “worst representation” of the faith. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Number of Witches in the U.S. Soars as Millennials Reject Christianity, Claims Newsweek

Media site NewsBusters.org says that a Newsweek article claiming the number of witches in the U.S. is climbing while millennials reject Christianity isn’t accurate. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• What Is A TSA ‘Sickout’ And How Could It Affect Your Travel Plans?

By Evie Fordham - Air travelers could see growing airport security lines as Transportation Security Administration screeners consider calling in sick next week if the government shutdown lasts long enough to affect their pay. Workers calling in sick have had “a minimal impact on operations,” TSA spokesperson Michael Bilello told The Wall Street Journal. But that could change if Congress and the White House are unable to come to an agreement that reopens the government as President Donald Trump continues to demand funding for a southern border wall. There are conflicting reports about whether enough TSA workers have started calling in sick to significantly slow down security lines. More than 5 percent of TSA employees at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport called in sick Friday compared to the typical 3.5 percent, reported the WSJ. Big airports including Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and O’Hare International Airport in Chicago reported relatively normal wait times, according to the WSJ. But some travelers took to social media to complain about long wait times on Sunday, reported Forbes. “Alaska Air [w]hy is international check in with everyone who needs assistance? I’ve been in line for an hour at SeaTac for a check in that will take less than 5 minutes, with people taking 15+ minutes to be rebooked, etc. My favorite airline is really disappointing me right now,” one Twitter user wrote Sunday. More than 99 percent of Sunday’s 2.2 million air travelers made it through security in less than 30 minutes, according to TSA. LaGuardia Airport was the outlier with an average wait of 52 minutes, but TSA blamed that on a “mismanagement of resources” rather than a sickout, reported CBS News. The main concern is how a sickout could affect passengers’ safety. “The agency is well prepared to handle these different contingencies without letting it impact the actual security,” said Kip Hawley, a former TSA administrator, according to the WSJ. The shutdown is also contributing to staffers in air traffic control towers calling out of work, reported Forbes. The federal government employs more than 2 million people full-time excluding U.S. Postal Service employees, according to Governing.com. Roughly 80 percent of them work outside the Washington, D.C., region. More than 420,000 federal employees would be expected to work without pay, according to a press release from Vice Chairman Patrick Leahy’s Senate Appropriations Committee staff. Congress has a practice of issuing backpay for the federal employees who keep working during the shutdown. The partial government shutdown that started Dec. 22 is now one of the longest in U.S. history and could set a record if it lasts longer than 21 days. Meanwhile, Trump could choose to pursue his border wall via a national emergency declaration. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] What Is A TSA ‘Sickout’ And How Could It Affect Your Travel Plans? is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• How Does Christianity Relate to Hinduism?

by Ravi Zacharias   I often think back with nostalgia to growing up in India and the late-night conversations we would have about a Hindu play or some event that featured Hindu thought. Now, through the lens of Jesus Christ, I have learned to see how deep seated culture and religion can be and how only the power of the Holy Spirit can reveal the error of an ingrained way of thinking. Consequently, whenever we speak with someone from another faith, it is essential to remember that we must not attempt to tear down another's belief system but rather to reveal the hungers of the human heart and the unique way in which Christ addresses them.   For the Hindu, karma--the moral law of cause-and-effect--is a life-defining concept. Life carries its moral bills, and they are paid in the cyclical pattern of rebirth until all dues are paid in full. Hinduism here conveys an inherited sense of wrong, which is lived out in the next life, in vegetable, animal, or human form. This doctrine is nonnegotiable in Hindu philosophy. Repercussions of fatalism (that is, whatever happens will happen) and the indifference to the plight of others are inescapable but are dismissed by philosophical platitudes that do not weigh out the consequences of such reasoning. Thus it is key to bear in mind that although karma is seen as a way of paying back, this payback is never complete; hence life is lived out paying back a debt that one cannot know in total but that must be paid in total. That is why the cross of Christ is so definitive and so complete. It offers forgiveness without minimizing the debt. When we truly understand that forgiveness, we develop a loving heart or gratitude. There is a full restoration--in this life and for eternity.   The Christian should also understand the attraction of pantheism, the Hindu view of seeing the divine in everything. It superficially appears more compatible with scientific theorizing because it presents no definitive theory of origins. Life is cyclical, without a first cause. Pantheism also gives one a moral reasoning, through karmic fatalism, that one is trapped in the cycle until one escapes, without the need to invoke God. But in the final analysis, it is without answers when one needs to talk about the deepest struggles of the soul. Hindu scholars even admit this in their creation of a path of bhakti (love, devotion) to satisfy the inescapable human hunger for worship.   It is here that a keen understanding is needed. Krishna's coming to earth as an avatar--that is, one of the incarnations of the Hindu god Vishnu--in a way brings "God to man." But a huge chasm still remains. How does one bring man to God? For this, there is only one way-- the way of the cross. A profound and studied presentation of the cross, and what it means, is still the most distinctive aspect of the Christian faith. Even Gandhi said it was the most unexplainable thing to him and was unparalleled. For the Christian, the cross of Jesus Christ is the message "first to the Jew, and also to the Greek" (Rm2:9)--to the moralist and the pantheist, to the religious and the irreligious. We can communicate this message with a Hindu acquaintance or friend only through a loving relationship. The love of Christ, a patient listening and friendship, and the message of forgiveness provide the path to evangelism.

in Apologetics and Theology

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.