The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

3 Precious Words for This Troubled Soul

3-precious-words-300x128.jpg

It has been happening most mornings recently. I’ll wake up feeling crushed and exhausted. Condemnation. I’m doing everything wrong. And everyone knows it. It feels like when I wake, the whole human race rolls its eyes and sighs, Oh. It’s this guy. I don’t know why this happens, just that it does, and that it feels utterly real. And if this is what others think (and why wouldn’t they?), then what must God think? After all, they only see the outside of my life; he sees the inside. There’s no excuse for someone like me.

So this is what I’m banking on: “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 8:1).

Whatever condemnation there might be from others (and in my better moments I know the human race doesn’t spend its time consumed with my daily failings), this verse says in three words what I need to hear every day: Now no condemnation. Three simple words. Can I dare to believe them?

Condemnation

To condemn someone is to expose them because of what they have done. This is what we all deserve. It’s what I deserve.

What have I done with the life God has given me? I have squandered opportunities on an hourly basis to love him and to love others. How can we even quantify this loss? I should feel crushed by the weight of it all. People who think they have their lives together baffle me. I’ve been around human beings long enough to know what we’re really like.

No Condemnation

So here it is, in black-and-white letters on the page of Holy Scripture. Somehow it’s possible to go from deserved condemnation to no condemnation. Such a category exists. But if it in any way depends on me, I can’t do it. So Paul sets me straight: “There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

This is not our normal way of speaking about Christians, but it is the New Testament’s. Far and away the most common description of us is those who are “in Christ.” Open any New Testament letter at random and you’ll see this phrase multiple times on the page. Being “in Christ” means we’re united to him, such that what is true of him is now also true of us. What is naturally his is now shared with me. It’s like a marriage, where the estate of the one becomes the estate of the other. Christ absorbs my debt; I gain his righteousness. He faced condemnation in his death so I could enjoy the future prospects he naturally deserves. I can’t say, “There is now no condemnation for Sam Allberry.” But I can (and must) say, “There is now no condemnation for Sam Allberry who is in Christ Jesus.” That status is mine only because I am his.

“No condemnation” means God will never count my sin against me. Even the most shameful things I’ve done will never be used against me. His disposition will forever be one of favor. He will always be for me, never against me.

Now No Condemnation

Paul isn’t just talking about some hypothetical future prospect; it’s a present-day reality. It’s not something I have to wait for, hanging in there until it arrives. This reality is now.

I was recently at a large banquet where each table was summoned in turn to go to the buffet. As always with these things, the process took far longer than expected, and everyone else’s table seemed to go up long before ours. But eventually one of the staff came up to us with that glorious word, “Now you may go and be served.”

It’s even more glorious to know that now there is no condemnation for me. What Jesus has done applies this moment of this day. It applies when I wake up tomorrow. However I feel, I will be waking up to the undiluted favor of God. I need to bury that truth in my deepest core, allowing it to seep into the innermost parts of my heart. It needs to define how I see myself. I need not fear the disapprobation of man when I have the guaranteed approval of God.

Related:

5nvEkUzOU4s

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• KJVOnly: Words deleted?

This is addressed to any staunch KJVOnlyist that insist the new versions delete important words from the Bible to demean God and/or show disrespect to the Person of Christ. Please read and answer each question I have below from the following verses.   John 14:14
      NASB: If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
      KJV: If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. Question: Why is the "Me" removed from the KJV when it is a powerful evidence for the fact that the Lord Jesus is God in that He is the proper recipient of prayer?   Acts 24:24 NASB: But some days later Felix arrived with Drusilla, his wife who was a Jewess, and sent for Paul and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus. KJV: And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. Question: Why is "Jesus" removed from the KJV?   Romans 8:11 NASB: But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. KJV: But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Question: Why is the second usage of "Jesus" removed from the KJV?   Romans 11:22 NASB: Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. KJV: Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. Question: Why is "God's" removed from the KJV?   1 Corinthians 1:29 NASB: so that no man may boast before God. KJV: That no flesh should glory in his presence. Question: Why is "God" removed and replaced with a "his" instead?   1 Corinthians 6:11 NASB: Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. KJV: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. Question: Why is "Christ" removed from the KJV?   Ephesians 3:6 NASB: to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. KJV: That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel. Question:  Why is "Jesus" removed from the KJV?   James 4:12
      NASB: There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?
      KJV: There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? Question: Why is "Judge" removed from the KJV?   1 Peter 3:15 NASB: but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence. KJV: But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. Question: Since we already have a passage about sanctifying the name of the Father as it relates to worship elsewhere (cf. Matthew 6:9), why is "Christ" removed from the KJV since this demonstrates that He, being God, is the proper recipient of worship?   Revelation 3:2 NASB: Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.  KJV: Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Question: Why is "My" removed from the KJV?   Revelation 4:11 NASB: Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created. KJV: Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Question: Why is "God" removed from the KJV?   Revelation 14:1 NASB: Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads.
      KJV: And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. Question: Why is "His name" (in reference to the Son) removed from the KJV?

in Bible Inspiration and Translations

• An 'Honor Beyond Words': Christian Singer Michael W. Smith Preforms at President George H.W. Bush's Funeral

Christian singer Michael W. Smith performed his song “Friends” at President George H.W. Bush’s funeral on Wednesday. View the full article    

in Christian Current Events

• Christian, Be Aware of the Changing Meanings of Words

Anyone who reads thoughtfully knows that words often change their meaning with time and context. Christians are a “peculiar people,” the KJV tells us, only “peculiar” did not mean in 1611 what it means today. Sometimes an older meaning of a word continues in a restricted sector of the culture, even though most people use it in quite a different way: e.g., for most readers today, God’s gift is not “unspeakable” but “indescribable” (2 Cor. 9:15), even though a conservative fringe of the populace confuse the two words. Sometimes a difference in meaning or overtone is triggered not by the passage of time, but by a different context. “Redemption” in the arcane legal terminology of a mortgage document does not conjure up exactly the same images as the use of the word in the New Testament. All of this is common knowledge. These examples are innocuous precisely because the change in meaning is widely recognized. Far more inimical to careful conversation are those expressions whose meanings, or whose associations, are frequently unrecognized. Here are a few of them. 1. Guilt For many decades now, “guilt” has sometimes referred to culpability, but very commonly referred to what might better be thought of as feelings of guilt. Our judicial systems try to establish the guilt or innocence of accused parties, regardless of whether those parties feel guilty; by contrast, our counselors often focus their attention on the guilt feelings of their clients, taking relatively little notice of the extent to which guilt feelings may be grounded in guilt. All of this, as I indicated, has been understood for a long time. When preachers talk about “penal substitutionary atonement,” they understand that the punishment is merited: before God the party is guilty and deserves the penalty which, in the case of substitutionary atonement, is discharged by another. This does not mean that wise pastors overlook the terrible burden of guilt feelings. Guilt feelings may be the psychological result of real guilt. Sometimes, however, people feel terribly guilty over things that have no valid tie to real guilt (as, for example, when a woman is sexually assaulted as she walks home from work, yet labors for years under guilt feelings [or shame? See further below.]). The careful application of passages about the cross of Christ rightly addresses both our guilt and our feelings of guilt. Efforts to expunge the latter without addressing the former may leave a sinner feeling better about themselves, but still unreconciled to God; and exclusive emphasis on addressing the real guilt before God may generate a cerebral grasp of the nature of penal substitution without providing much comfort. READ MORE View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Wrong words defile our hearts, then we can’t see God and all is impure!

Wrong words defile our hearts, then we can’t see God and all is impure!   God speaks often about the crucial role of our words – how our salvation hinges on them,   Matt 15:11 (Jesus) Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man (or woman); but what comes out of the mouth (our words), this defiles a man. Prov 13:3 He who guards his mouth preserves his life, But he who opens wide his lips will have destruction. Matt 12:37 (Jesus) For by your words you will be justified (regarded as innocent) and by your words you will be condemned (regarded as guilty). NKJV 12:37 Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation. MSGE Rom 10:10 ...It is by confessing with your mouth (and believing in your heart God’s words) that you are saved. NLT   What kind of words defile us, when we speak them, and instantly separate us from God?   ANGER - Cease from anger, and forsake wrath... Ps 37:8 …the wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God… Jam 1:19 IMPATIENCE - For you have need of patience... Heb 10:36 by the, …Spirit of…patience… Gal 5:22 PRIDE - Love is very patient and...never boastful or proud, 1 Cor 13:4 TLB Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God 1 Pe 5:6 DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD - ...That you did not obey My voice. Jer 22:21 LYING - Do not lie to one another... Col 3:9 COVERING UP SIN - He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy. Prov 28:13 COMPLAINING - Nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 1 Cor 10:10 Do all things without complaining and disputing, Phil 2:14 UN-FORGIVENESS - For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matt 6:14 ENVY - ...Envy is rottenness to the bones. Prov 14:30 RETALIATION - Not returning evil for evil or reviling (bad mouthing) for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing 1 Pe 3:9 FLATTERY - (False praise for an ulterior motive) ...With flattering lips and a double heart they speak. Ps 12:2 SELFISHNESS - Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phil 2:4   What happens to us the moment we speak words like these that we shouldn’t speak?   Matt 15:11 (Jesus) Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth (our words), this defiles a man. Titus 1:15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure...(everything around us will now seem negative) Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God. (the impure in heart who have been defiled by their words, can no longer perceive God in the Bible) Prov 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it, for death (separation from God) or life (in God). AMP   Unless we allow the Father of righteous words, “All the words of My mouth are righteous” Prov 8:8, to train our lips, to give us the tongue of the learned, our words will constantly fall into one or more of the above categories. We may wonder why we never see God the way some other Christians do. It’s because we pridefully keep control, and decide for ourselves what comes out of our mouth, and in so doing we stay defiled and separated from God by our words. Our own self generated, and influenced by Satan words will condemn us in the Day of Judgment unless we get right with God and allow Him to change us by His Life giving words, so that we stop defiling ourselves.     What role does Satan play in inducing us to speak wrong words? Bigger than we know:   Satan, who is the father of wrong words, “father of lies.” Jn 8:44, wants us to defile our hearts and separate us from God. He or his demons will attempt to feed lying thoughts into our thought lives. Fiery dart thoughts in one or more of the subject areas listed above, to get us to defile ourselves, and potentially defile others:   Ps 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. KJV James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity...it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell (Satan and his demons). Prov 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one lets out water (wrong words): therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with (by Satan). KJV 2 Cor 2:11 Lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices (his thoughts – we are to recognize this stranger’s voice and shun it).   Are we all alone in this conflict? Not at all "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." 2 Kings 6:16. Who are those with us? God’s Angels, provided we are living in Christ: “Because you have made the LORD...your dwelling place, For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways”. Ps 91:9-10 and “Because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world” 1 Jo 4:4.   What do we need to do to insure that we don’t speak wrong words which greatly harm us?   We refuse to be deceived any longer about the enormous significance of our words:   James 1:26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. Prov 13:3 He who guards his mouth preserves his life, But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.   We make it our purpose to never speak words we know to be evil:   Ps 17:3 ...I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.   We look to God in child like faith to alert us and preserve us from damaging words:   Ps 141:3 Set a guard O Lord over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. 2 Thess 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one (Satan with his thought suggestions of wrong words to speak).   We reserve our lips for giving God praise and thanks and for speaking His words:   Ps 71:8 Let my mouth be filled with Your praise And with Your glory all the day. Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Acts 4:29 ...Grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word   We agree that God has ordained that we praise Him, to silence our spiritual enemies:   Matt 21:16 (Jesus) From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise Ps 8:2 From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. NIV   We desire God to keep changing us, by His words and Spirit, to make us Christ-like in heart, and free us from our flesh with its wrong words - often induced by Satan:   2 Cor 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face (heart), beholding as in a mirror (God’s words) the glory of the Lord (Jesus) are being transformed into the same image (of Christ) from glory to glory (line upon line, verse upon verse), just as by the Spirit of the Lord. Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man (including our mouth under the control of our sin nature) was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.   We value and believe, maybe for the first time, the words of God about our words.   John 12:48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him - the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day. James 1:21-22 So...humbly accept the message God has planted in your hearts, for it is strong enough to save your souls. And remember, it is a message to obey, not just to listen to. If you don't obey, you are only fooling yourself. NLT 3   If we are willing to see our need for our heavenly Father to be the Lord of our lips, and present our mouth a living sacrifice to Him, He will work in us to speak His words! Amen

in Devotionals

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.