Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Ocasio-Cortez Campaign Fined For Denying Employees Proper Benefits

Recommended Posts

By Molly Prince -

ocasio-cortez_2-250x141.jpg

http://dailycaller.com/

Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s 2018 congressional campaign was fined by the state of New York for failing to provide workers’ compensation coverage to campaign staffers.

“The employer did not have the required workers’ compensation coverage from March 31, 2018 to April 30, 2018,” Melissa Stewart, the spokeswoman for New York’s Workers Compensation Board told The New York Daily News. “[It] was issued a final penalty of $1,500, which was paid.”

“This coverage is vital to ensuring workers are protected for on-the-job injuries,” Stewart continued.

The self-proclaimed Democratic socialist has been portraying herself as a champion for workers’ rights. During her campaign, she advocated for a $15 an hour minimum wage and a Federal Jobs Guarantee because according to her website, “anyone who is willing and able to work shouldn’t struggle to find employment.”

Interestingly, the progressive congresswoman bemoaned in August the closing of a restaurant where she was previously employed, however, the restaurant cited an Ocasio-Cortez-endorsed policy for its closure.

“The times have changed in our industry. The rents are very high and now the minimum wage is going up and we have a huge number of employees” one of restaurant’s co-founders said at the time.

“Ocasio-Cortez’s desired ‘living wage’ of $15 an hour has been a living hell for many small business owners in New York, who’ve been unable to offset the cost through higher prices,” Employment Policies Institute Managing Director Michael Saltsman said in response to the closure. “It’s fine to mourn the impending closure of your former employer — it’s better to understand the misguided minimum-wage mandates that contributed to that closure.”

Ocasio-Cortez’s office did not respond to The Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]

Ocasio-Cortez Campaign Fined For Denying Employees Proper Benefits is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more.

View the original full article

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Topics

    • Restaurant Fined $7,000 for Telling Biological Male Not to Use Women’s Restroom

      A D.C. restaurant was fined $7,000 by the city this week after it tried to stop a biological male customer who identifies as female from using the women’s restroom. View the full article

      in Christian Current Events

    • State Department Calls Employees Back To Work, Says It’s Making Funds Available To Pay Them |

      By Hanna Bogorowski - State Department employees are being called back into work amid the government shutdown and were told Thursday that they will be paid, unlike hundreds of thousands of federal workers currently working without pay. “Recognizing the increasing hardship to employees caused by the ongoing lapse in appropriations, the Department is taking steps to make additional funds available to pay employee salaries,” Bill Todd, the department’s deputy undersecretary for management, told staffers in an “urgent” message. “[A]ll State Department direct-hire employees and State Department locally employed staff are expected to report to work on their first work day in Pay Period 2,” the statement continues, which for most employees is Jan. 22.  Employees will be paid for work conducted beginning on or after Jan. 20, when some overseas employees are expected to head back to work, but employees will not be paid “until FY 2019 appropriations are enacted” for work they’ve done so far under the shutdown. Todd added that it is “imperative” the department carry out its mission with “fully staffed embassies, consulates, and domestic offices.” The decision was announced Thursday by Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan, according to The Washington Post, at a lunch conference with more than 180 ambassadors. One official told WaPo that Sullivan received two rounds of applause. Officials at the department reportedly were able to pull enough money from various accounts to pay half a month of payroll. Should the shutdown continue past that, officials will have to review. Todd warned in his message that employees should be prepared to work on strict budget constraints “with regard to new spending for contracts, travel, and other needs.” Thursday marks the 27th day of the shutdown. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] State Department Calls Employees Back To Work, Says It’s Making Funds Available To Pay Them | is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

      in Political Conservative News

    • Opioid Profiteering Family Headed Deceit Campaign Surrounding OxyContin, Documents Claim

      By Evie Fordham - A Tuesday court filing claims that members of the Sackler family knew their company, Purdue Pharma, routinely failed to notify authorities that OxyContin was being abused and sold illegally, reported The New York Times. The Sacklers were the 19th-richest family in the U.S. in 2016 with an estimated $13 billion net worth, according to Forbes. TheDCNF began investigating the Sackler family’s charitable donations in fall 2017 in the series “American Cartel.” The first part of the series can be read here. Newly disclosed information about the Sackler family, who have made billions as owners of the drug company Purdue Pharma, show that they covered up the dangers of the moneymaking opioid OxyContin, a court filing released Tuesday claims. The filing also claims that members of the Sackler family knew Purdue Pharma routinely failed to notify authorities that OxyContin was being abused and sold illegally, reported The New York Times. The filing stems from Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey’s suit against Purdue Pharma alleging that the company misled doctors and patients about the risks of opioids to increase prescriptions. Healey filed the suit in June, one of many such suits that have been filed against Purdue Pharma in relation to its marketing of opioid products. Tuesday’s 312-page filing draws from previously unseen emails in which Richard Sackler, then-president of Purdue Pharma, encouraged obfuscation in response to concern about the addictive powers of prescription opioids, reported The Times. “[W]e have to hammer on abusers in every way possible,” Sackler wrote in a 2001 email quoted in the filing. “They are the culprits and the problem. They are reckless criminals.” Purdue Pharma has said Healey’s suit “distorts critical facts” and “is littered with biased and inaccurate characterizations of [internal] documents and individual defendants,” according to Seeking Alpha. More than 40,000 people died of opioid-related drug overdoses in 2016, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Nearly half of those deaths involved legally obtained prescription medications, according to the National Institute for Health Care Management. More than 60,000 Americans died of drug overdoses in 2016. Meanwhile, the Sacklers raked in money, largely thanks to OxyContin. The drug was Purdue Pharma’s biggest revenue stream with $35 billion in sales between 1995 and 2015. The Sacklers were the 19th-richest family in the U.S. in 2016, with an estimated $13 billion net worth, according to Forbes. Through various foundations, the family has donated millions to medical research, art institutions and hospitals, but as of 2017 there was no evidence they were helping opioid addicts, according to an investigation by The Daily Caller News Foundation. Now the question is being raised: will institutions continue to take Sackler money? Purdue Pharma insists the Sackler family is not part of the company’s everyday operations. The family escaped legal consequences even as Purdue Pharma executives pleaded guilty in 2007 to charges that the company had misrepresented the risks of OxyContin, reported The Times. The company and three top executives paid a historically large $634.5 million in fines. At least eight members of the Sackler family served on Purdue Pharma’s board after the 2007 fine as of 2017. The Times reports Tuesday’s filing has “the first evidence that appears to tie the Sacklers to specific decisions made by the company about the marketing of OxyContin.” The filing claims: Richard Sackler stepped down as president in 2003, and other family members were out of company operations around the time of the 2007 lawsuit, but the Sacklers still had major influence over Purdue Pharma, the filing claims. As recently as 2012, a Purdue Pharma sales official complained about “micromanagement” from Richard Sackler in an email. Some of Richard Sackler’s quotes in the filing deal directly with OxyContin overdose deaths. The court filing contends: Purdue Pharma has been accused of helping create the opioid crisis through its aggressive marketing of its products. The opioid crisis is taking a substantial toll not only on drug abusers but on their families, including newborn babies who are born addicted to opiates and grandparents who use their retirement savings to raise their grandchildren. TheDCNF began investigating the Sackler family’s charitable donations in fall 2017 in the series “American Cartel.” The first part of the series can be read here. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Opioid Profiteering Family Headed Deceit Campaign Surrounding OxyContin, Documents Claim is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

      in Political Conservative News

    • Union: Give Us Money Or Employees Who Are Veterans Will Kill Themselves

      By Luke Rosiak - Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie is furious after a federal union president said that if politicians don’t end the partial government shutdown, federal employees who are veterans will kill themselves. Edward M. Canales, a local union president with the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), told ABC News that he’s received calls from veterans who aren’t able to support their families during the shutdown and who express “no positive outlook on the future.” Though there is no indication in the story that the employees were suicidal, ABC said Canales referred employees unhappy with the government shutdown to the Department of Veterans Affairs suicide hotline. “If this shutdown does not stop, we are going to have fatalities. We’re going to have suicides,” Canales, a retired prisons employee and veteran, told ABC. He called the shutdown “shameful” and said it is “slapping every veteran in the face who has served their country.” Veterans who receive care and services from the VA are unaffected by the partial government shutdown; all VA employees are also being paid on time as normal. The VA is fully funded for fiscal year 2019 and all VA operations continue unimpeded, the department said. On Monday, Wilkie fired back at AFGE in a letter to national president J. David Cox, saying AFGE was exploiting “the real tragedy of Veteran suicide to make political arguments about the partial Government shutdown.” He went on to dismantle the stereotype of fragile veterans: In 2016, Cox called the House chairman tasked with overseeing the VA a “fool” and said he would “whoop” the VA secretary’s “ass.” The AFGE represents employees of federal agencies including the VA. The VA employs 300,000 people and its union is particularly strong, fighting to block the firing of employees whose misconduct has harmed veterans, and securing policies that, for example, in some case give current federal employees preference over veterans for job openings. When the Department of Defense and the VA merged two of their hospital as an experiment, they found a massive cultural clash between the VA’s unionized, civilian workforce and the DOD’s enlisted hospital employees. The Navy refused to let VA employees treat military men in the ICU, and the VA and DOD co-directors of the hospital were not on speaking terms. The proposal was supposed to save money by reducing redundancies, but the VA union ensured that no VA employees were laid off even though they weren’t needed, defeating the purpose. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Union: Give Us Money Or Employees Who Are Veterans Will Kill Themselves is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

      in Political Conservative News

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.