The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Michael

Works Righteousness

The one unifying doctrine of the Christian community in all its many divisions is the doctrine of the "free" gift of grace through faith for salvation. However, Paul describes himself in Philippians and Corinthians as running, fighting, beating his body, and in fear of being disqualified. So either the Bible contradicts itself or the Christian community has made a serious error in how they interpret and teach the gospel. Either way, it's an incredible new revelation for either the world, or the church, and perhaps both. 

Staff
19 minutes ago, Michael said:

The one unifying doctrine of the Christian community in all its many divisions is the doctrine of the "free" gift of grace through faith for salvation. However, Paul describes himself in Philippians and Corinthians as running, fighting, beating his body, and in fear of being disqualified. So either the Bible contradicts itself or the Christian community has made a serious error in how they interpret and teach the gospel. Either way, it's an incredible new revelation for either the world, or the church, and perhaps both. 

Please provide the verses in which you are taking issue with. 

Posted (edited)

@Michael1Corinthians 9:24, Philippians 3:12-14 to name two, in any event, if the doctrine of Grace is a free gift; why would it be nearly impossible for a rich Christian to be in the kingdom? 

Edited by Michael

Staff
10 minutes ago, Michael said:

@Michael1Corinthians 9:24, Philippians 3:12-14 to name two, in any event, if the doctrine of Grace is a free gift; why would it be nearly impossible for a Christian to be in the kingdom? 

Not nearly impossible for a Christian but indeed impossible for the natural man and necessary for the Christian.

The natural man is totally depraved and incapable of pleasing God.

Lemme stop and direct you here:

This page should answer your question thoroughly.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regarding your verses they are covered in the doctrine of Perseverance of the saints.

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

@Michael1Corinthians 9:24, Philippians 3:12-14 to name two, in any event, if the doctrine of Grace is a free gift; why would it be nearly impossible for a rich Christian to be in the kingdom? 

When you say rich are you referring to the teaching conveyed in the story of the rich young ruler? I am asking for clarification because Mark 10:17-22 wasn't one of the verses in question.

@Michael The scripture in Mark is an add on to my original question. I agree "unifying" was a bad choice of words, so let's agree that salvation by the free gift of grace is the one doctrine most of the Christian community has in common. Paul, (the apostle most associated with the doctrine of Grace through faith) either contradicts himself, or the Christian community has made a serious error in how it has interpreted the gospel, for hundreds of years. Jesus also indirectly refers to "works"when he states it's nearly impossible for a rich man (could be a Christian) to enter the kingdom.

Staff
3 hours ago, Michael said:

@Michael The scripture in Mark is an add on to my original question. I agree "unifying" was a bad choice of words, so let's agree that salvation by the free gift of grace is the one doctrine most of the Christian community has in common. Paul, (the apostle most associated with the doctrine of Grace through faith) either contradicts himself, or the Christian community has made a serious error in how it has interpreted the gospel, for hundreds of years. Jesus also indirectly refers to "works"when he states it's nearly impossible for a rich man (could be a Christian) to enter the kingdom.

The rich young ruler exhibited idolatry. The young man thought he could please God and obtain righteousness by the works of the Law but he contradicted himself because he did not keep the Law:

Deuteronomy 6:5, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

Jesus emphasized this law immediately after in Matthew 22:37. The young man put "things" or materialism before God.

You keep saying that Protestants or the apostle Paul contradicts yet you're are not offering any evidence.

Staff
5 hours ago, Michael said:

1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 

Php 3:12  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 
Php 3:13  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 
Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 

I sure dont read these verses as violent as you do. Nor do i see any contradictions.  

I don't see them as "violent", but they are scriptures which indicate that Paul was running, beating his body, afraid of being "disqualified" for his salvation. That is a doctrine of works for salvation! So I say again, the Bible either contradicts itself on an issue of central importance (salvation by Grace through faith) or the Christian community has made a serious error in how they interpret and teach the gospel.

I am familiar with the doctrine of the free gift of unmerited grace pervasive in the Christian community. Let's say that I am a homosexual. I have been baptized by submersion, and received Christ as my Savior. However, after a few years I started a Bi-sexual lifestyle cheating on my wife, and then I died suddenly. If there are no "works" to salvation, I have no problem getting into heaven; right?

20 minutes ago, Michael said:

I have no problem getting into heaven; right?

Not sure, for only the Lord knows who are truly His (2 Timothy 2:19).

This person may not have been saved to begin with (1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 John 2:19) or if he/she was saved the Lord had this person die for brining shame to His Name (1 Corinthians 5:5).

• Like 1

Ultimately only God truly knows the disposition of your salvation, however, if you are willingly living a sinful lifestyle then it is possible you never received salvation in the first place.  Without saying specifically that you are or are not saved, your actions and fruits will speak volumes toward answering this question.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael said:

If there are no "works" to salvation, I have no problem getting into heaven; right?

There is definitely a connection between salvation and works.  Salvation is a gift from God and our works have nothing to do with receiving it, but one who is saved is born again with a new nature that wants to obey God and can't go back to a lifestyle of sin.  A professing Christian who does this shows that he was never saved in the first place.  A Christian might fall into an act of sin but God won't allow him to continue in it.  Look at what happened to David after he committed adultery with Bathsheba and had her husband murdered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael said:

That is a doctrine of works for salvation!

No, that is a doctrine of serving Christ after we are saved.  In order to understand it better I suggest you read 1 Corinthians 3:10-15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael said:

scriptures which indicate that Paul was running, beating his body, afraid of being "disqualified" for his salvation. That is a doctrine of works for salvation! 

1 Corinthians 9:27

I think it is important to read all of chapter 9. In it Paul is defending his office of apostleship which some denied (1 Corinthians 9:1-2f.) He goes on to discuss what he does and is willing to do for the cause of preaching the gospel. In terms of the disqualification mentioned in 9:27 it does not refer to loss of salvation based on works but rather in him diligently persevering in preaching the gospel. Furthermore, all believers are to discipline/train their bodies for the purpose of righteousness (1 Timothy 4:7). The same holds true for running the race of faith (Hebrews 12:1). 

A Christian is to work out their salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). Notice that it doesn't say work for your salvation with fear and trembling.

• Like 1

However we can not have our doctrine both ways. Either salvation is a FREE gift of God, Or there are works of righteousness required to "maintain" salvation  (I doubt seriously that one would go to the trouble to be baptized by submersion if he were not serious about his belief in the Christ), Or the third possibility, the Christian community has misinterpreted the gospel.

• Sad 1

No one said that works of righteousness were required.  Works of righteousness are a demonstration that we have salvation, not a requirement of it.  It goes to the fruits of the Spirit.  If we are demonstrating the fruits of the Spirit willingly and without prompting it is an outward sign of our salvation.

• Like 2

Staff
19 minutes ago, Michael said:

However we can not have our doctrine both ways. Either salvation is a FREE gift of God, Or there are works of righteousness required to "maintain" salvation  (I doubt seriously that one would go to the trouble to be baptized by submersion if he were not serious about his belief in the Christ), Or the third possibility, the Christian community has misinterpreted the gospel.

The game you are playing shows how insincere you are 

Gal_6:7  Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 

• Best Answer 1

TO Knotical: John 3:16 / Romans 10:8-10. If I am not mistaken, one has to confess Jesus at his baptism. Salvation by faith is our free gift, and the doctrine being taught in most of Christianity. However, the definition for sanctification in Webster's is:  The process of growing in the Divine Grace of God as a result of our commitment at baptism or conversion. So is salvation achieved through works! It can't be if it is a free gift. Clearly; the Bible either contradicts itself on an issue of central importance or the Christian community has misinterpreted the Bible.

• Sad 1

So what you are saying Knotical, is that we can do whatever we please. Murder, rape, and steal..of course not, but that is where your logic leads.

• Sad 1

Staff
7 hours ago, Michael said:

So what you are saying Knotical, is that we can do whatever we please. Murder, rape, and steal..of course not, but that is where your logic leads.

A Christian will be running the race to the high calling as exampled by ... 

Php_3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

• Like 1

Michael, there are sinful life styles that simply put prove a person is not FOLLOWER of Jesus Christ. We are called to repentance when coming to be a Follower of Christ Jesus. T A new believer will want to please God, and allow the Holy Spirit to convict them of sin in their life. If a person has no guilt over sin, then they do not have the Holy Spirit in their life, thus they have not become BORN AGAIN. Adultery, homosexuality are forgivable sins, but NOT as a habitual lifestyle. These sins are clearly addressed in Romans 1, and a person should be very careful in assuming they can live an immoral life and still think they have any part of Jesus Christs Gift of Grace and Mercy say nothing of Salvation. Most assuredly those who continue to believe homosexuality and adultery have anything to being Holy unto God have been taken captive by Satan's lies, and will be facing ethenity in Hell for eternity. It is a very serious mistake to think the person you discribe has any part of Jesus Christ or heaven.

Michael even suggesting what you have says volumes about your not understanding what becoming a FOLLOWER of Christ is. Do you need help in understanding what this means?

• Like 1

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,[2] 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nordrunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

• Like 2

John 1:14

NIV 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Becky said:

A Christian will be running the race to the high calling as exampled by ... 

Php_3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

I think it is an attempt to sow discord among brethren (Proverbs 6:19, KJV).

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• How God’s word (the Bible) works.

Do we really know how God’s word works?   The vast majority of Christians, who actually spend time in their Bibles, endeavor to conform themselves to the scriptures. They view the word of God as God’s ideal standard for life and try to attain to it. This carnal approach to the Bible is doomed to failure. Such Christians consequently will never be changed into the likeness of Christ and will most likely end up either in frustration or concluding that conformity to Christ is simply unattainable and that you must just do the best you can. They remain oblivious to the reality that the word of God does not work this way under the New Covenant. The word of God works in a completely different and infinitely superior way. What way is that?   Jesus explains how the word of God works under the New Covenant,   Mark 4:3 (Jesus gives the parable of the sower and the seed) Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. Mar4:10-13 (Jesus says this parable reveals the mystery of the kingdom of God and holds the key to all parables) But when He (Jesus) was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. And He said to them, "To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God… “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?” Luke 8:11 (Jesus then explains the parable – The seed is the word of God) Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Luk 8:8&15 (The soil is the heart of a person) And some seed fell into good soil… But as for that seed in the good soil, these are the people who, hearing the Word, hold it fast in a just and worthy heart… AMP Isa 45:19 (The One who speaks the word and sows the seed is God) I, the LORD speak righteousness --- Prov 11:18 But he who sows righteousness…   This sowing of the word into a heart is how everyone that is a Christian, was born again,   1 Pet 1:23 Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible (seed), by the word of God which lives and abides forever,   The very first word of God (seed) that God speaks by His Spirit, either directly from the scriptures or from a Gospel book or tract or most likely through the mouth of a Christian, that a person hears with their heart (they may have heard thousands of scriptures with their heads) – it is the entrance of that first living word (Jesus) into their hearts that brings the beginning of the life of God into the person’s spirit and they are born again.The sowing of more of God’s words into a heart brings more of the life & nature of Christ,The parable of the sower and the seed not only reveals the mystery of how the beginning of the life and nature of Christ enters a person (through one living seed of God’s word being sown in the heart) but also how progressively more of the life and nature of Christ grows in that person (through more living seeds of God’s words being sown in the heart).This transforming process, by which the very nature of a Christian, after the new birth, can continue to be changed into the likeness of Christ, without that Christian grimly struggling to comply with the scriptures, is beautifully described in these pivotal verses:   2 Cor 3:15 (First, concerning the Jews) But even to this day, when Moses (part of the Bible) is read, a veil lies on their heart. (And the words cannot enter them) 2 Cor 3:16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 2 Cor 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.   Let’s consider this in some detail:   We can see from verse 15 that the veil being spoken of is a veil on the heart, therefore an unveiled (spiritual) face is simply an open heart that can now hear God (this is what the word meek means). With such an open heart we are now to look at that mirror which reflects God, what mirror is that, the mirror is the Bible. And what do we see, we see the Spirit of God glorifying the word of God, how? By making the word of God alive to us so that it now speaks to us personally. Each glorified word (seed) now sown in our hearts (our unveiled face) will change us into the very image, likeness and glory of that living word – or in other words into the image, likeness and glory of Christ who is the living word. This is precisely what Jesus said the Holy Spirit would do in John chapter 16:   John 16:13-14 (Jesus) But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth or Word giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth. For He will not speak His own message on His own authority but He will tell whatever He hears from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him (the word of God), …He will honor and glorify Me, because He will take of what is Mine (I am the word of God) and will reveal declare, disclose, transmit (and sow) it to you. AMP   Every word God sows into our hearts needs time to germinate, grow and bear fruit,   Mark 4:24 And He (Jesus) said unto them, Take heed what you hear: …unto you that hear shall more be given. (For any of the seed of God’s word to be sown in the soil of a heart, the word must be heard and believed by that heart – to the one who hears and believes the sown word, more word will be sown). Mark 4:26-28 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed (God’s word) into the ground (a heart); And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he does not know how. For the earth brings forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear. KJV Luke 17:21 …For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.   Jesus says here’s how the Kingdom of God works. Seed is sown into the ground, springs into life and grows and given time begins to reproduce and bear multiple like seeds. If we understand the parable of the sower and the seed we can now understand this parable - that the word of God sown into the soil of a human heart will germinate and grow and given time will multiply itself as the seed of the word of God sown by that person into the hearts of many others. Does this divine means by which the words of God’s kingdom are passed on from person to person apply only to the first word of God that is sown in a person’s heart, the word by which they are born again? No, the same divine process is the way in which the rest of the gospel, the full counsel of God, the entire nature of Jesus Christ, is sown as seed into one heart, reproduced and then sown out of that heart into the hearts of others. Hence in the book of James the Holy Spirit has this to say to those who are already born again as Christians:   James 1:18-21 And it was of His own free will that He gave us birth as sons by His Word of Truth… Therefore, my beloved brethren (this clearly is being written to Christians)… In a meek and humble spirit (continue to) receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted in your hearts contains the power to save (deliver, preserve, keep safe, heal, make whole) your souls. AMP   The word “implanted” used in the above scripture, to reflect that after being born again God’s words should continue to be implanted or sown into our hearts – the definition of the Greek word translated as implanted is according to Strong’s concordance as follows:   New Testament word #1721 Emphutos (em'-foo-tos); Comes from a combination of the New Testament preposition # 1722 En commonly meaning in, within or among and a derivation of the New testament word # 5453; Phuo (foo'-o); meaning to "puff" or blow, or in other words to swell up; to germinate or grow (sprout and produce). Hence im-planted. Summary:   God the Father is the sower. The seed is the word of God, Jesus Christ. The soil is my heart. The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus by declaring the word of God to me. When I receive the word with unveiled face, a meek and humble heart, the living seed will be implanted in me. The seed will germinate and grow automatically night and day in the soil of my heart. In due season that word will be established in my heart conforming my nature to the likeness of itself (Himself) and starting to reproduce itself (Himself) out of my mouth as living seeds into the hearts of others, some 30, 60 some a hundredfold.   This is how the word of God is intended to work in the lives of every Christian. Link removed , Staff

in Devotionals

• Righteousness Consciousness

“Awake to Righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame”—1Corinthians 15:34   The above scripture calls us to awaken to righteousness. That is, we should be righteousness conscious. As it is the ultimate cure to sin.   This clarion call is so crucial, as many today in the Church of Christ are sin conscious. And that is the major reason many of them are still struggling fruitlessly with sin. Many Christian still believe and confess that they are sinners like every other person. They say everybody is a sinner, including themselves. And somehow, they believe they are being honest…   When you ask them, are you righteous? They quickly answer, no—nobody is righteous, even the bible says so. And this is because of their lack of proper understanding of God’s righteousness.   They believe the scripture that says, “there is none righteous, no, not one” (Romans 3:10) and the scripture that says, “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God “(Romans 3:23) still applies to them as believers in Christ Jesus.   Then on the other hand, many are struggling to attain to righteousness by their own self works. Hoping that as they keep on struggling to live right, someday, if God keeps them alive long enough, they may attain unto righteousness.   This group of people are ignorant of the scripture that tells us that we are not justified by our own self works. And that our righteousness is as a filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6).   They are ignorant of the scripture that says, ‘by the deeds of the Law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight’—Romans 3:20. And these delusion of many a believer about God’s righteousness, is the major reason, amongst others, for the multiplication of sin in the Church.   Because no one can actually gain dominion over sin or sinful habits with these kind of sin and self-work (the works of the Law) consciousness. Hence, we will be exploring the true meaning of righteousness that the word of God calls us to awaken to in this dispensation of God’s grace…   How Do We Attain to Righteousness?   Righteousness is a gift of Grace that is freely received by faith in Christ Jesus (Romans 5:17). We don’t get righteous on our own qualifications but by the merits of Jesus. By the merits of our Lord Jesus Christ on earth and by the price of his death and shared blood on the cross of Calvary, every believer in Christ Jesus, is made absolutely righteous by God.   Here is what the word of God says concerning this in 2Corinthians 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him”   Thus, any and everybody can easily obtain righteousness by faith in Christ Jesus. No matter how evil the person has been; even if he had murdered a million persons in the past. Even if he had fornicated for years; even if he cursed God in ignorance or said there is no God…   Immediately he believes in Jesus and confess him as his Lord and saviour, he becomes as righteous as Jesus—Romans 10:10.   So if you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and saviour, you are born again; and you are absolutely righteous. Now that you know you are righteous—that you are a saint—God’s clarion call in our opening scripture, is that you should awake to righteousness…   That is, you should awaken to the consciousness of whom he has made you –a saint. Let this consciousness saturate and change your mind-set. Let it change the picture you have about yourself. Let this consciousness inform your action. Let it inform your choice of words, dressing, places and events to attend.   Being made the righteousness of God is similar to a great king picking out a condemned criminal from prison, cleaning him up and adopting him as his son. Then to be righteousness conscious or awakening to righteousness, is likened to the adopted son, comporting himself in tandem to his newly conferred, gracious, royal status.   He is to jettison his past personality and identity and put on his present personality and status as a prince. Along this line, the word of God tells us in Romans 6:11:   “Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord”.   Now that we are in Christ Jesus, we are to reckon or consider ourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord in righteousness. Then another scripture buttresses this very fact thus:   “That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” Ephesians 4:22-23   The word ‘conversation’ in the above scripture refers to behaviour. The Lord is saying, now that you in him, you should jettison your former, corrupt behaviours which are pertinent to unbelievers…   And that after putting off these corrupt behaviours, we should be renewed in the spirit of our mind (our hearts). In order words, we should change our consciousness and mind-set from corruption to righteousness.   The remaining part of the chapter spells out specifically how this change should go thus:   “Wherefore putting off lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be ye kind one to another even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you”—Ephesians 4:25-32   The above scriptures depict righteousness consciousness in pin-point detail. So there you have it. Awake to righteousness and sin not. Don’t see yourself anymore as a sinner. Never confess again that you are a sinner. That is who you used to be. But now you are righteous. You’re the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. That is what the word of God says you are. And that is what you should confess.   Yes, it is true that if we say that we have not sinned, we make him (God) a liar (1John 1:10). At the same time, it is also very true that after we have come into Christ we still say we are sinners, we are also calling God a liar.   So from now on, begin to confess to yourself and whoever cares to hear, that you are righteous—the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. And as you do continually, it will soon practically become evident in your life in Jesus Name!   Remain Blessed!   Emeke Odili  

in Bible Study

• 8 Works of Fiction Every Christian Should Read

Some Christians find it hard to justify reading fiction. If we invest precious time in reading books, shouldn’t we read non-fiction books on leadership, ministry, theology, apologetics, or cultural trends? Fiction can feel superfluous. But human beings are creatures immersed in stories. From the stories we share in the office or around the dinner table, to the testimonies we share about our salvation or God’s work in the world through the gospel (the “good story”), our lives find their form in narrative. Fiction simply reflects the linearity and narrative structure of our earthly experience. And the best fiction does even more. The best stories exercise our discernment, cultivate our virtue, and provide the pleasure of discovery and illumination. This is one of the reasons I wrote my new book, On Reading Well. But where do you start? Even in the category of “great books,” there are far more than most readers will ever have time to read. There are many works of fiction every Christian should read, but here are eight picks (in no particular order) you might start with. 1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte Despite its title and popular reputation, this Victorian masterpiece by Charlotte Bronte is not a girly romance. It is, as I have written before, a powerful story of the individual’s modern quest to discern and heed one’s authentic calling and identity. And because the character of Jane is a Christian, her narrative about overcoming the obstacles to fulfilling her Christian calling is one every Christian reader—male or female—can relate to and learn from. The theme of the book can be found in Jane’s words at her greatest moment of conflict: “I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.” 2. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs Technically this is an autobiography. But because it uses a pseudonym and fictionalized names, it was treated as a novel for a long time. It is a lightly fictionalized, devastating account of a female slave who eventually escapes to New York after hiding in a garret for seven horrific years to escape further abuse. To read in her own words the story of one ordinary slave—one of millions of such tortured souls—is powerful and unforgettable in a way that even the many films on this subject cannot capture. “When a man is hunted like a wild beast he forgets there is a God, a heaven,” Jacobs writes. “He forgets everything in his struggle to get beyond the reach of the bloodhounds.” As true as this observation is, the plight of the female slave in particular is one that should make every Christian kneel in sorrow. 3. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury In re-reading this book recently, I was struck by Bradbury’s eerie prescience—not concerning the book burning at the center of his futuristic dystopia—but by his descriptions of the interactive, mind-numbing, soul-searing technology that takes the place of books, meaningful discourse, and human relationships. The novel is a timely reminder not just that books are important, but why they are. As one character says, “The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies.” Books, especially the best ones, require us to engage with life and to develop our ability to think and judge. We need to read more books and more of the good ones. 4. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad Joseph Conrad’s novella tells the story of a steamboat captain employed by a European trading company to take a boat up the Congo in search of one of the company’s most successful procurers of ivory. As we journey with Marlow into this “heart of darkness,” we discover a world that turns upside down European notions of “civilization” and “restraint.” (We also see a more skeptical view of colonization in the name of “missions” than most white Christians are taught.) The work shows that, absent external or internal checks, the heart of man is dark indeed, prompting the book’s most famous line: “The horror! The horror!” The fact that the story’s events and setting draw on the real-life atrocities committed by Belgium’s King Leopold II shows how truth can be more terrible than fiction—and why we should not turn away from either. 5. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky While Dostoevsky’s masterpiece is inarguably The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment is a shorter, more accessible novel that addresses some of the same themes in a more focused way. Dostoevsky was a Russian Orthodox Christian, and this novel, like most of his other works, is filled with Christian imagery and ideas. This story centers on a poor but arrogant Russian young man, Raskolnikov, who believes ordinary human laws and morals don’t apply to him. He tests this idea by committing an act of wanton murder. The story goes on to reveal with psychological and theological truth the power of guilt, confession, and redemption. Perhaps the crown of this book’s achievement is the role given to a lowly prostitute in Raskolnikov’s redemption and restoration. 6. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Along with Jane Eyre, this is one of my personal favorites. Dickens is a delightful writer whose sentences are brilliant and captivating. His plots and characters are surreal, unreal, and unforgettable, but if you don’t read Dickens for the sentences, then you aren’t reading him at all. This novel in particular captures many universal aspects of our loves and longings, our expectations and disappointments, and the way our character is revealed in all of these. Great Expectations centers on the orphan Pip’s desire to be a gentleman and the journey he must undergo in order to learn what a true gentleman is. With its decaying mansion, its prison ships, its blacksmith’s hearth, a cruel sister-in-law, and the poor little boy trying to navigate it all, Great Expectations is a textbook example of a work that combines instruction with delight. 7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen If your only exposure to Austen is from high-school English class, I urge you to give her another chance. Younger readers often miss the satirical voice that makes all the meaning in her works. Like Jane Eyre, this novel is far more than the sappy love story most film adaptations portray. Austen’s scalpel-like wit and subtle irony expose the everyday vices and follies of the privileged class in 19th-century England (which is surprisingly similar to most of us in 21st-century America). Austen has a keen sense of ethics and a well-developed Christian worldview. Pride and Prejudice brilliantly conveys the simple truth that we are all blinded by prejudices and burdened by self-pride. 8. ‘Revelation’ by Flannery O’Connor Actually, I think everyone should read all of O’Connor’s short stories (as well as her other works). But because her stories are so odd and disorienting, I usually recommend this one as an entry point. O’Connor’s fiction almost always deals with her characters’ need for—and resistance to—saving grace. Usually it takes an unsettling event—even a violent one—to arouse the cultural Christians who populate her stories out of their complacency into a moment of recognition that leads to acceptance (or not) of that grace. As I explain in my chapter on this story in On Reading Well, it is often pride that gets in the way of our ability to receive grace, and nearly all of O’Connor’s stories point—in bizarre, unforgettable ways—to the antidote to pride, which is the virtue of humility. Also in this series:  3 Classic Poems Every Christian Should Read (Leland Ryken) View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Microsoft Works

Some how the microworks stuff left my computer . I have works suite 2006 . I wish to load it into my computer . If anyone chooses to help me .. PLEASE only very basic simple language.  Some of my questions: How do i know it is loading? How do i know which options to use what the computer asks me? It is legal it came with one of the computers. I have windows 8 running with a 'shell ' so it looks like windows more like W7 

in Computers & Technology

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.