Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Introducing myself

Recommended Posts

1. Briefly introduce yourself.

I'm Jon.  40-something guy living in Iowa.  Originally from Wyoming.  Two-time divorcee, no children.  Spent the last 6 and a half years taking care of my Dad - gave up my career to do it, got my PhD for 'something to do'.  Dad passed away at the end of August so I'm now trying to sort through the mess of an estate as it's executor, trying to find a job and explain my huge employment gap.

 

2. How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Too difficult to answer succinctly. 

 

3. What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

This also is hard to answer succinctly.

 

4.  What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

Existence is far too perfect to be the result of random chance.  As something that also exists, I also had to be created.

 

5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

I speak to God as I wished I could have spoken to my own Father.  There is a tenderness and reverence in our conversation that I've never had before with any person.  My relationship with God is the first relationship I've ever made effort to maintain.

 

6. What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

I'm not sure how to answer this.

 

7. What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

Regular daily prayer, daily Bible study, reading commentaries/extra-Biblical texts for thought provocation.

 

8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

My reading this calendar year has been school-based books.

 

9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

Personality.  I'm a loner.  I'm an introvert.  I'm a quiet guy.  Most people assume I am always angry or that there is something bothering me all the time.  I've been told I am unapproachable.  I'm actually a really nice guy, but you gotta earn the right to get to know that.

 

10. Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

Nope.  I'm brand-new, so I'm figuring it all out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

@Jonitus Welcome to the forums.. :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post

Hey everybody my name is Dan, I'm 41 yrs. old. I have been married since 1999 and have two sons. I've known the Lord since I was very young but didn't grow up in the Church. I was baptized with my wife when I was 21 yrs. old. I'm a member of a Lutheran Church (LCMS) but am reformed in my beliefs. Currently my evangelism consists of sharing Gospel tracts and Gospels of John (from pocket testament league) and also online (quora, Yahoo answers, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).  I enjoy listening to a wide variety of preachers online while at work  (John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, Paul Washer, Sinclair Ferguson, D.A. Carson, Jeff Durbin, Ray Comfort, Matt Slick etc.). I Love the Word and can't get enough of it! I commute two hrs. a day which gives me lots of extra prayer time. I've read several books this year including The Intolerance of Tolerance and The Son of God by D.A. Carson, The Message of the Prophets by J. Daniel Hays, Discipline of Grace and Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges, Parables by John MacArthur, A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent, Sexual Detox by Tim Challies, Strategies of Satan by Warren Weirsbe, A Theology of Luke and Acts by Darrel L. Bock and probably a few more I can't remember. I love spending any free time with my wife and kids, they are the greatest blessing the Lord has given me to date. I really look forward to having some great discussions with yet unknown brothers in Christ in this forum. PRAISE BE TO HIS HOLY NAME! 

 

Edited by Malta Dan
  • Like 2
  • Best Answer 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Malta Dan said:

Hey everybody my name is Dan, I'm 41 yrs. old. I have been married since 1999 and have two sons. I've known the Lord since I was very young but didn't grow up in the Church. I was baptized with my wife when I was 21 yrs. old. I'm a member of a Lutheran Church (LCMS) but am reformed in my beliefs. Currently my evangelism consists of sharing Gospel tracts and Gospels of John (from pocket testament league) and also online (quora, Yahoo answers, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).  I enjoy listening to a wide variety of preachers online while at work  (John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, Paul Washer, Sinclair Ferguson, D.A. Carson, Jeff Durbin, Ray Comfort, Matt Slick etc.). I Love the Word and can't get enough of it! I commute two hrs. a day which gives me lots of extra prayer time. I've read several books this year including The Intolerance of Tolerance and The Son of God by D.A. Carson, The Message of the Prophets by J. Daniel Hays, Discipline of Grace and Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges, Parables by John MacArthur, A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent, Sexual Detox by Tim Challies, Strategies of Satan by Warren Weirsbe, A Theology of Luke and Acts by Darrel L. Bock and probably a few more I can't remember. I love spending any free time with my wife and kids, they are the greatest blessing the Lord has given me to date. I really look forward to having some great discussions with yet unknown brothers in Christ in this forum. PRAISE BE TO HIS HOLY NAME! 

 

Welcome Malta Dan. You are perhaps one of the first to do the propper way of introducing yourself, congratulation!! I think you are a blessing right off the bat! Welcome!!

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, ConfessionalLutheran said:

I am an alumnus from George Mason University and my degree is in English.

Small world again!  I also have a BA English from George Mason University.  Given our closeness in age, we likely had some of the same professors.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Briefly introduce yourself.

 

27M from Canada. Currently studying engineering, writing as a side business.

 

How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

 

After 23 years of hard-line Atheism, I progressively became anxious and depressed. My life, having been fairly comfortable, was beginning to crumble and I had no explanation for what felt like a growing poison inside me. I progressed to riskier behavior, all kinds of drugs, extra-marital relations and a pure dependence on the flesh. Had a child out of wedlock. Hit rock bottom, opened my heart to God not knowing what other choice I had, and by His grace he pulled me up and gave me the strength to kick my habits, and begin pursuing a Bible-centered life. Let me tell you, nothing could have convinced me to stop pursuing fulfillment of the flesh. I was in a completely fallen state, and I knew in that moment that it was His intervention that saved me. 

 

What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

 

Periods of homelessness, the power of prayer, the power of helping people in need, the opening of my eyes and ears to the truth.

 

What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

 

Before God intervened in my life, although I didn't realize it at the time, I was spiritually dead. Much like an estranged son returning to his Father, once I was saved I understood the meaning of being re-born, and felt a sense of belonging. It was clear to me that there is no life without God, and that my life is only thanks to God 

 

What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

 

I have found that for me, to love God means to place Him at the center of every task, decision and action that I take. This aligns me with God, by living a Bible-centered life, I am demonstrating my love for God. I also believe we must demonstrate our love for God's creation by performing missions and helping our neighbors find the truth, so Ministry and adherence to the Bible would be the two aspects that help me love God. 

 

What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

 

Youth and street ministry, apologetics, giving assistance to those in need

 

What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

 

In order of importance: 

1. Bible study - I don't treat it so much as an academic practice, but try to let the HS interpret the Word for me

2. Personal Prayer - This is how I reconcile my feelings with God, and ask him to point me in the right direction so I can do best by Him

3. Meditation - Another form of prayer for me, I meditated prior to being Saved and continue to connect with God silently

4. Learning & Fellowship - There is so much I don't understand, and I always try to learn from those who may know more than me.

 

Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

 

I haven't explored too many writers or commentators, but I particularly enjoy Voddie Baucham (out of Texas, now seeding churches in Africa) who has served as a role model in my search to better know God. Part of the reason I'm joining the forum is to have the chance to talk to more like-minded individuals.

 

When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

It has been related to my choices in life, as well as my personal beliefs.

 

Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

Far be it from me to give any advice to anyone, except for have fun and always do your best 🙂

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
3 minutes ago, Discipulus said:

Briefly introduce yourself.

 

27M from Canada. Currently studying engineering, writing as a side business.

 

How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

 

After 23 years of hard-line Atheism, I progressively became anxious and depressed. My life, having been fairly comfortable, was beginning to crumble and I had no explanation for what felt like a growing poison inside me. I progressed to riskier behavior, all kinds of drugs, extra-marital relations and a pure dependence on the flesh. Had a child out of wedlock. Hit rock bottom, opened my heart to God not knowing what other choice I had, and by His grace he pulled me up and gave me the strength to kick my habits, and begin pursuing a Bible-centered life. Let me tell you, nothing could have convinced me to stop pursuing fulfillment of the flesh. I was in a completely fallen state, and I knew in that moment that it was His intervention that saved me. 

 

What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

 

Periods of homelessness, the power of prayer, the power of helping people in need, the opening of my eyes and ears to the truth.

 

What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

 

Before God intervened in my life, although I didn't realize it at the time, I was spiritually dead. Much like an estranged son returning to his Father, once I was saved I understood the meaning of being re-born, and felt a sense of belonging. It was clear to me that there is no life without God, and that my life is only thanks to God 

 

What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

 

I have found that for me, to love God means to place Him at the center of every task, decision and action that I take. This aligns me with God, by living a Bible-centered life, I am demonstrating my love for God. I also believe we must demonstrate our love for God's creation by performing missions and helping our neighbors find the truth, so Ministry and adherence to the Bible would be the two aspects that help me love God. 

 

What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

 

Youth and street ministry, apologetics, giving assistance to those in need

 

What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

 

In order of importance: 

1. Bible study - I don't treat it so much as an academic practice, but try to let the HS interpret the Word for me

2. Personal Prayer - This is how I reconcile my feelings with God, and ask him to point me in the right direction so I can do best by Him

3. Meditation - Another form of prayer for me, I meditated prior to being Saved and continue to connect with God silently

4. Learning & Fellowship - There is so much I don't understand, and I always try to learn from those who may know more than me.

 

Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

 

I haven't explored too many writers or commentators, but I particularly enjoy Voddie Baucham (out of Texas, now seeding churches in Africa) who has served as a role model in my search to better know God. Part of the reason I'm joining the forum is to have the chance to talk to more like-minded individuals.

 

When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

It has been related to my choices in life, as well as my personal beliefs.

 

Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

Far be it from me to give any advice to anyone, except for have fun and always do your best 🙂

 

Welcome Discipulus! Glad to meet you and hope your engagements here are fruitful.

 

God bless,

William

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

Hello and welcome @Discipulus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1. Briefly introduce yourself.

My name is Trevor and I am 35 years old. I am married and have a young son.

 

2. How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

I have been a professing Christian ever since I can remember. I said the believers prayer when I was very young, but God has used many other other circumstances in my life to draw me closer to Him, so I can't say exactly at what point, I became a Christian. But throughout my life God has always been there when I needed Him, not bowing down to me, of course, but when I was most hungry and open to hear what He wanted me too. For example, when I first went to college and took a philosophy class taught by an atheist, what was taught in one class really challenged my faith, so I prayed God to show me the truth and I opened up my Bible shortly after that prayer directly to Colossians 2 verse 8 which was quite coincidental and then shortly thereafter I read what Jesus said in John 7:17, "Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own." So, those were both a clear answer to prayer there and a clear circumstance that drew me closer to Him.

 

3. What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

The experiences that have most shaped my spiritual walk with God is all the love He has shown me throughout my life, especially the during the time I had cancer and He gave me the "perfect peace" Isaiah 26 talks about. It was that whether I lived or died, I would be okay and I had peace either way. That was almost 20 years ago, so God decided to keep me alive. Also, what I mentioned as an answer to the last question, every time I have a good witnessing encounter with someone, things I have learned about God and his creation, and mainly when I realized what Christ did for sinners and his example.

 

4. What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

I think the evidence would be that I try to love to others like myself, although I fall very short, but thankfully Christ covers me with his imputed righteousness as the perfect sacrifice.

 

5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

I think that question is answered best by Jesus when he said, "If you love me, you will obey me" (John 14:15). The way I see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in my own life is when I look at my past and see how my heart's desires have changed and how I don't want to sin anymore, although unfortunately I still do.

 

6. What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

I enjoy going out on the streets and handing out tracts from time to time, also some online witnessing.

 

7. What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

I have grown up in the Protestant Church my whole life, but still I feel like I have so much left to learn which is why I joined this forum, so that I could ask questions and read others thoughts about certain subjects. I have always attended a Baptist church, but some of my favorite preachers in the faith are Presbyterians. 

 

8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

Really anyone that teaches God's Word. I like to listen to David Platt, James White, R.C. Sproul, Francis Chan.

 

9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

I think the opposition comes from mainly from my beliefs, although sometimes I engage in debating to much when I am out on the streets, so some of it sadly has to do with my personality, but I am trying to work on that.

 

10. Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

Not that I can think of right now.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

Welcome @Trevor:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

@Trevor

 

Welcome to CF!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

Hello and welcome @Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, William said:

Please feel free to share a little about yourself. We'd like to get to know our members better. Take your time and answer each question as best as you can, and don't feel obligated to answer all questions!

  1. Briefly introduce yourself.
  2. How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).
  3. What experiences have shaped you spiritually?
  4. What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?
  5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?
  6. What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?
  7. What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?
  8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?
  9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?
  10. Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

God bless,

William

I meant to follow this up a few months ago when I first saw the invitation to give a personal testimony . But somehow the whole thing "disappeared" and I eventually lost tract of the whole subject. I am going to provide my testimony in a few days , still reeling in from the holidays . So give me time to unwind form all the holiday activity first .      M

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Staff

Briefly introduce yourself. 

My given name Rebecca 72 years old now

 

How and how long ago did you become a Christian?

One of those folks who has always been a Christian it seems. Blessed to be born into a Christian family despite some teen rebellion.

 

Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Sorta a conversion :  Being raised in a Christian i knew the value Bible teaching . Having 2 kids i was toying with the idea of church Sunday School for them. The popular Christian book at the time was Cross and the Switchblade. I am kicked back on the couch reading, kids are playing, John is bowling. As Wilkerson is introducing Nicky Cruz .. Billy Graham was doing the same on the TV !  OK OK God if you care enough about this dumb kid to time this like this i will take care of business. 

 

What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

The above statements have their part.. Through some learning i asked God refresh my spirit to His Word. To help me unlearn a lot of Pentecostal despsationalism churchy stuff and see the Word for what He wants me too.

 

What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

In a physical way I can look back and See His hand moving the chess peaces of my life. From bad guys breaking into our house with guns to the peace of knowing Him. From a Biblical view His Word tells me my life is in Him.

 

What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

 

A few one liners come to mind, follow His Word. Honor what I know He has done, The willingness to share with others what He has done . The perseverance of my 54+ years of marriage. 

 

What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

At this time in my life mostly  the internet. 

 

What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

Not so much of a disciplined person. When a memory crosses my mind maybe as simple as some cute thing the kids did years ago I will pray about them. A short sound bit of news i will pray for this country .  Stewardship .. I respect what god has given us. which also means i respect the years John worked in construction . I am not frivolous and i joyfully give of mine where i am fed. 

 

Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

Hopefully my vision will improve and i will read the Scriptures as a book  . I was over 40 before i know Calvin was a person. 

 

When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

They kinda run together... i do tend to shoot first then ask questions 

 

Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

Be ready to have a tough skin often our brother and sisters hurt us and they have no idea they have done so. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Staff
1 hour ago, Matthew Duvall said:

I meant to follow this up a few months ago when I first saw the invitation to give a personal testimony . But somehow the whole thing "disappeared" and I eventually lost tract of the whole subject. I am going to provide my testimony in a few days , still reeling in from the holidays . So give me time to unwind form all the holiday activity first .      M

 

This topic is now "pinned" in the Welcome Mat. Someone pulled the tack out at some time :classic_ninja:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Topics

    • Introducing Our New (Free) Spanish Learning Platform

      Coalición por el Evangelio is pleased to announce the launch of our new free Spanish learning platform: Cursos Coalición, based on the TGC Courses platform. This is our most recent effort to meet a need amid an awakening to sound doctrine in the Spanish-speaking world—the need for faithful, free theological resources that equip the church. Cursos Coalición is a platform where every Spanish-speaking believer can study God’s Word in depth, apply it, and lead others to do the same. This is a tool not only for personal study, but also for small groups and Sunday school. We currently have 34 courses available on various topics, including work and vocation, marriage and family, apologetics and philosophy, biblical doctrine, and more. These courses have been selected, organized, and published by the Coalición team, working in conjunction with TGC. In coming weeks we will publish more courses as we continue to partner with churches and ministries to grow the content library. We are collaborating with ministries and churches recognized for their fidelity to the Word and service to the church, such as Integridad y Sabiduría, Ligonier, Third Millennium, and Iglesia Bíblica del Señor Jesucristo. TGC Courses has already exceeded 500,000 users in one year. In Spanish, nothing like Cursos Coalición exists. We’re hopeful that, with all the material to be added, this platform will influence an even greater number of Spanish-speaking believers around the world. We thank God for this platform and pray it will bless his people. We invite you to share it with your Spanish-speaking friends as we continue praying for a revival in our lands. View the full article

      in Christian Current Events

    • Introducing The Gospel Coalition’s Women’s Training Network

      The Gospel Coalition is delighted to introduce Women’s Training Network (WTN). TGC is dedicated to strengthening the church by training a network of women who are steeped in the Word of God. WTN is an initiative aimed at training women to use the Scriptures well, equipping them to faithfully read, interpret, apply, and teach the Word as they serve in every sphere of life to which they have been called: their churches, homes, workplaces, neighborhoods, and communities. You may have seen the work WTN is doing in collaboration with Coalición por el Evangelio, already planning events for women throughout Latin America. WTN will begin in the U.S. in 2019 with five regional training events, called Two-Day Intensives. WTN will partner with a local church or seminary to offer these events, and they’re open to any woman desiring to be further equipped. Different tracks will be offered to accommodate women with various levels of experience and knowledge. Our Women’s Training Network page is newly live if you want to find out more information about the events. Taylor Turkington serves as director of Women’s Training Network. She holds an MA from Western Seminary, where she has also just completed her Doctor of Ministry degree. Taylor, her husband, and their daughter live in Portland, Oregon. She greatly enjoys the privilege of teaching and training women to use the Scriptures. Joining her are Courtney Doctor and Ann Westrate, serving as the coordinators for WTN. Please join us in praying that God will bless these efforts so they will bear much fruit both in and through the lives of women all across the globe—and, as he does, that the church would be strengthened, the kingdom would grow, and the name of Christ would be proclaimed. Related: Equipping Women through TGC’s Women’s Training Network (Taylor Turkington) View the full article

      in Christian Current Events

    • Introducing myself

      Hello Im new - Im Zoii and just introducing myself

      in Welcome Mat

    • Introducing me

      Hello I am a Christian. I love Jesus with all of my heart, but lately I have been struggling with unforgivness. I'm here for prayer. I don't want any of my blessings blocked all because of Unforgiveness.

      in Welcome Mat

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.