The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Jehovah's Witnesses and 1 John 3:2

1 John 3:2

Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. (NASB, the underlined is mine)

To whom does the "He" and "Him" refer to in 1 John 3:2 according to the Jehovah's Witnesses?

a. Jehovah God and not Jesus Christ

The Watchtower: At times the conscientious translator may feel justified in adding a word or two to make the meaning clear. However, there is always the danger, when this is done, of misleading the reader. Thus in an attempt to aid the reader the translator of Today’s English Version replaced “he” with “Christ” at 1 John 3:2. However, in this he erred, for Jehovah God and not Jesus Christ is here referred to, even as is clear from the preceding verse 1Jo 3:1. (See the 4th to the last paragraph in "Choosing a Modern Bible Translation", June 1, 1969)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1969402

b. The new world's King, Christ Jesus

The Watchtower: There is so much to hope for, so much to keep the mind looking ahead; for the anointed remnant: heavenly glory, incorruptibility and the sublime privilege of reigning as kings and priests and judges for a thousand years with the new world’s King, Christ Jesus, seeing him “just as he is”! (1 John 3:2, 3, NW;1 Cor. 15:53, 54; Rev. 20:4, 6) (See the 4th to the last paragraph in "Endurance Through Hope", August 15, 1954)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1954605

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• The true worship of Jesus by the Jehovah's Witnesses (2 Timothy 4:16-18)

2 Timothy 4:16-18 (16) At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them. (17) But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion’s mouth. (18) The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (NASB)   In their book Stay Close to Jehovah's Organization the Jehovah's Witnesses assert the following (the bold face is mine):  Even if you do find yourself isolated from all your Christian brothers, keep in mind that you are not isolated from Jehovah and his Son, Jesus Christ. Your hope can remain firm. Jehovah can still hear your prayers, and he can strengthen you with his spirit. Look to him for guidance. Remember that you are a servant of Jehovah and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Therefore, make good use of opportunities to witness. Jehovah will bless your efforts, and others may soon join you in true worship.—Acts 4:13-31; 5:27-42; Phil. 1:27-30; 4:6, 7; 2 Tim. 4:16-18. (Organized to Do Jehovah's Will, see the 5th to the last paragraph). https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014947    As with all the other passages cited 2 Timothy 4:16-18 is also used in reference to true worship.   Notice though that the Jehovah's Witnesses affirm that the "Lord" in both 2 Timothy 4:17 and 2 Timothy 4:18 refers to the Lord Jesus.      a. Our Kingdom Ministry—2014: Even in his heavenly position, Jesus shows personal interest. (2 Tim. 4:17) (Improving Our Skills in the Ministry—Showing Personal Interest) https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202014401      b. The Watchtower: The individuals hearing Jesus could, if they faithfully served God, have the expectation of reigning with Christ in heaven. (2 Tim. 4:18; Rev. 20:4, 6) (Questions From Readers, March 1, 1967). https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1967167    Thus the Jehovah's Witnesses (inadvertently?) affirm that true worship is properly rendered unto the Lord Jesus.  

in Arianism

• Jehovah Witnesses and the Divine Name

JWs really emphasis the used of the word "Jehovah." At this time I will not address the many problems with the history or form of the word "Jehovah," but will focus on the NWT of the N.T. In the NWT of the N.T. every time the Greek word "kurios" appears in the text, and refers to God the Father, the NTW render it "Jehovah." The Watchtower claims it is restoring the divine name back into the N.T. were it once was. The Watchtower claims:     Again the Watchtower states:     There is zero evidence that anything like this ever happened and an overwhelming amount of evidence that the Divine name was never used in the Greek N.T.   (1) There are ca. 5700-5800 manuscripts of the Greek N.T. Not one contains the Divine Name.   (2) There are several translations of the Greek N.T. There are ca. 975 manuscripts of the Coptic text. There are well over 10,000 manuscripts of the Latin text. There are ca. 350 manuscripts of the Syriac text. Not one of these manuscripts of the N.T. contain the Divine Name and these are by no means the only ones that are available.   (3) There are literally thousand of N.T. quotes found in the writing of the Church Fathers. Not one has the Divine Name.   In the first Watchtower quote above it states: "the Tetragrammaton form was undoubtedly replaced with 'Kyrios' and 'Ho Theos.'" Now in order to believe such a claim some one\group would have had to be able to alter every Greek N.T. manuscript, every non Greek manuscript, and every citation in every Church Father which quotes the N.T. It is simply not possible.   However for the sake of the argument, lets assume it did happen. That is every manuscript and citation was changed so as to remove the Divine name. In fact whoever did this did such a good job that they left no trace of evidence. Well that means that the text of the N.T. has been altered, changed. If that is true, then there is no reason to trust any part of the N.T. If whoever removed the tetragrammaton did such a good job as to leave no manuscript evidence showing that it was ever there, then how could anyone be sure the same is not true of the rest of the N.T.? There would be no way to tell what was genuine and what was not. This point seems to allude JWs.   One last point. Why is it that whoever did such an excellent job of removing the Divine name from the N.T., failed so miserably with the O.T. The Divine Name is used hundreds of times in the O.T. Who ever change the text of Greek N.T., every non Greek manuscript, and every citation by every Church Father could not accomplish the same task with the Hebrew text.   The claims of the Watchtower are simply illogical and there is no evidence to support its claims. Only the gullible could be taken in my such poorly thought out assertions.

in Apologetics and Theology

• Hillary Clinton Invites Elizabeth Warren To Remote Location With No Witnesses In Order To Congratulate Her On Running For President

OLD ABANDONED GAS STATION SOMEWHERE IN TEXAS—In order to offer her sincere congratulations on Elizabeth Warren's decision to run for president in 2020, failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton called Warren and asked if she'd meet in person at a remote location out on the plains of Texas "where there are no witnesses or law enforcement officers who could get in the way of my heartfelt words." The post Hillary Clinton Invites Elizabeth Warren To Remote Location With No Witnesses In Order To Congratulate Her On Running For President appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• Jehovah's Witnesses and praying to Jesus in John 14:14

John 14:14
      If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. (NASB - the boldface is mine)  This passage teaches that the Lord Jesus is to be prayed to.[*1]  Since the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the Lord Jesus is not to be prayed to[*2] it is worth noting that in their 'Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures' the "Me" appears in John 14:14. 
      The boldface below is mine
      if ever    anything    you should ask         me        in        the      name        of me      this         I shall do
        ἐάν          τι                  αἰτήσητέ                 με         ἐν        τῷ      ὀνόματί       μου       τοῦτο       ποιήσω.  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/int/E/1985/43/14#s=13&study=discover   But when this passage is translated into their 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures' the "Me" disappears.
      If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.
      https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/bl/r1/lp-e?q=John 14%3A14    
      Before accusing them of doctrinal bias I have one question for any Jehovah's Witness:
      Is there any other instance in the 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures' where a Greek word was not translated into English that would alter the meaning of the passage to the level it does in John 14:14?       [*1] https://rdtwot.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/hear-o-lord-praying-to-jesus-–-a-survey-of-commentaries-on-john-1414/   [*2]  The Watchtower: There is no provision for members of the congregation to communicate directly with Jesus or to pray to him, but they certainly should—yes, must—pray to Jesus’ Father, Jehovah God. (Should You Pray to Jesus?, December 15, 1994)
      https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1994923

in Arianism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.