The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
News Feeder

Arminian Temptress Convinces Calvinist To Shave His Beard

article-3532-1-thumb.jpg

TULSA, OK—A "foul Arminian temptress" dating local Calvinist man Bernard Michaels convinced the Reformed believer to shave his beard, causing him to lose all his powers of theology, exegesis, and arguing on the internet.

The post Arminian Temptress Convinces Calvinist To Shave His Beard appeared first on The Babylon Bee.

View the original full article

Staff

Run Samson Run

Neil Sedaka

In the bible, 1000 year bc
There's a story of ancient history
Bout a fella who was strong as he could be
Till he met a cheatin gal who brought him tragedy
Oh, run Samson run, Delilah's on her way
Run Samson run, you ain't got time to stay
Run Samson run, on your mark you better start
I'd rather trust a hungry lion than a gal with a cheatin heart
She was a demon, a devil in disguise
He was taken by the angel in her eyes
That lady barber was very well equipped
You can bet your bottom dollar that he was gonna get clipped
Oh Delilah made Sammy's life a sin
And he perished when the roof fell in
There's a moral so listen to me pal
There's a little of Delilah in each and every gal

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Becky said:

There's a little of Delilah in each and every gal

Now a days it is very difficult to find a girl without cheating heart.

it has became norm in society.

I've never heard this one and the arrangement in my head is likely no the original.  People that YHWH blesses with my talent, some times lose their aqbility to play their instruments but we never loose our ability to compose in our heads.

Staff
13 hours ago, Bill Taylor said:

I've never heard this one and the arrangement in my head is likely no the original.  People that YHWH blesses with my talent, some times lose their aqbility to play their instruments but we never loose our ability to compose in our heads.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Local Calvinist Resolves To Do Whatever The Sovereign Lord's Eternal Decree Has In Store For Him This Year

PALM BEACH, FL—After many hours of reflection, self-examination, prayer, and beer, local Calvinist man Michael Konyenbelt resolved last night to do whatever the Lord's sovereign will has decreed for him this year. The post Local Calvinist Resolves To Do Whatever The Sovereign Lord's Eternal Decree Has In Store For Him This Year appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• How Does a Mom Pray as a Calvinist?

How does a mom, who believes that God is sovereign over salvation, find any hope for her children? How does she not live in fear about the state of their souls every day? If only those chosen by God find eternal life in him, can she sleep at night if none of them has yet professed faith? In a recent interview about Calvinism, Andy Stanley—senior pastor of North Point Community Church in Atlanta—posed several questions as he critiqued Calvinism from several angles. In one particular segment, he talked specifically about women, and from his vantage point women are less vocal about their belief in God’s sovereignty in salvation because of how harsh it sounds (to him). Mothers, he said, would have a hard time reconciling their maternal instinct to protect, care for, and provide for their child with a view of salvation that, as he sees it, provides little assurance that they will be saved. Strong Mothers, Stronger God Stanley rightly appeals to maternal instinct. A mother’s heart pulls at her in powerful ways. Why wouldn’t it? She’s created in God’s image, a God  who cited a nursing mother when he wanted to show Israel how they could trust him (Isa. 49:15). If a nursing mother can’t forget her child, how much more can God whose image she bears? Even if she does, Isaiah says, God won’t forget you. When Jesus longed for his people to repent and believe, he said this: O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! (Luke 13:14) Even the apostle Paul used nursing-mother imagery to talk about his tender care for the Thessalonians (1 Thess. 2:7). The maternal instinct is strong. It makes you do things you never thought you would or could do. It’s Godlike. So I trust God in the care of my children, because he’s good, and he gave me (an image) to my children to tell the world what he is like. What About God’s Grace? But just telling my children what God is like doesn’t save them, and even then I’m not a perfect image-bearer. Sometimes I show my children what God is not like. But there is another who images God perfectly. Jesus is God made flesh, everything God wanted to say about himself in a person (John 1:1-3, 14; Col. 1:15), as Sally Lloyd-Jones so helpfully says. When Jesus came he didn’t just tell us what God is like. He told us how God saves—and perhaps nowhere more helpfully than in John’s Gospel. All throughout John we see Jesus explaining who he is and what he set out to do. But the disciples (and the entire Jewish people) don’t get it. He doesn’t leave them in their misunderstanding, though. He tells them why they don’t get it. They don’t yet have the Holy Spirit (John 16:4–15). The disciples will understand one day, but only when Jesus sends the Holy Spirit, only when he says it’s time to understand. The disciples will persevere to the end, but only because the Father has given them to the Son, and no one can take them from him (John 10:25–29). The clarity of Jesus’s words is striking and sobering. He’s in utter control, both of the means of salvation and also the sustaining grace that keeps us to the end. Perhaps this would be terrifying, as Stanley asserts, if you don’t know the character of the one telling you how this will all play out. But we know the character of God, who preserved his people through many tribulations and endured the ultimate trial on our behalf. We can trust him with our very lives, and with the lives of our beloved children. What Hope Do You Have? As a Calvinist mother, I see this theology taught by Jesus playing out every day. My kids know instinctively that there is nothing they can do to make themselves obey. I know it, too. So I continue to tell them about the hope that Jesus can make them obey by taking away their broken hearts and make them new again (Ezek. 36:25-26). I pray for them in faith, not because God plays favorites in election. Instead, I pray to a God who created us in his image, who desires us to glorify him, and made a way for us to be right with him when we wanted nothing to do with him. He loves the world he has made (John 3:16). At the same time, he is holy and just (1 Sam. 2:2). God loves us, and he is perfect in justice and holiness. He is compelled to save, and also to judge sin (Rom. 3:21-26. I pray for them in faith, not because I have “maternal instinct.” God’s Word ultimately guides my parenting. And God’s Word tells me the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of grace is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Rom. 6:23). God does not elect all to salvation. But it’s a miracle that he saves any, because apart from divine intervention, our foolish hearts would choose sin and destruction every single time (Rom. 1:18–32). God offers salvation freely, but we’re far too sinful—curved inward, as Augustine and later Martin Luther would say—to accept it apart from his preparatory work in our hearts. I pray for my children in faith, not because I always understand his ways. I know his character. God is sovereign, and he is good (Ps. 25:8). God is gracious, and he is just (Ps. 145:8). God is merciful, and he is holy (Lev. 11:45, 20:7). And I trust him with the eternal life of my children. So how does a Calvinist mother pray? She prays like Scripture teaches us: brokenhearted by sin, anchored in God’s sovereignty, pleading for the Spirit’s mercy, and confident in the gospel’s promises that when Jesus saves he saves for good. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• PSA: Stop Using Anti-Calvinist Language

Just a quick, friendly PSA from your friends at The Babylon Bee. You may think you're just using common, everyday phrases, but you're really triggering your Calvinist friends. Here are some helpful alternatives: The post PSA: Stop Using Anti-Calvinist Language appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• Can one be dispensation and a Calvinist?

The Synod of Dort met between 1618-1619 and its task was to respond to certain statements made by the remonstrants that departed from reformed soteriology. It is from that response that the modern acrostic TULIP was derived. Sadly, in the modern church that acrostic has become synonymous with Calvinism – if you hold to the 5 points you’re a Calvinist. Even more sadly today we have people who claim to be 4 pointers, or 3 pointers etc. To my mind using the TULIP acrostic to identify a person as a Calvinist is both simplistic and erroneous.   Maybe the origins of this problem are the good intentions of Christians in expressing their desire to demonstrate unity. The reformed have, historically, been open to fellowship with other evangelical groups. However, returning to the acrostic TULIP which is, as already stated, a fairly recent construction (a little over 100 years old). TULIP is a modern summary of the statements made in response to this historical soteriological disagreement within the protestant reformed movement. Therefore properly understood TULIP is not a positive assertion of Calvinism, rather it is a negative polemical tool designed as a response, and correction of specific errors in the soteriology of the Remonstrants. Hence TULIP is only useful in that specific arena of discussion within the reformed movement. It is not a positive a statement of 'Calvinism' or Biblical soteriology, and it should never be used outside of this specific area of debate in which it has, historically, been applied. If we merely teach our people the five points, we are not doing them any favours, we need to build from the ground up, establishing the sovereignty of God, as understood in the reformed faith.   Properly understood and positively stated Calvinism is the doctrine of God's absolute sovereignty over his creation to order it as he sees fit for his own Glory (it is not limited to the soteriological discussion) – and it is a position established through a reformed (covenant) hermeneutic of scripture. All this is to say that simple agreement with the five points is not enough to make a person a Calvinist (it simply means they are a monergist).   Whilst the larger debate regarding synergism/ monergism has raged since the days of Pelagius the soteriological debate between ‘Armenians’ and ‘Calvinists’ was (until recently) an ‘in house’ discussion within the protestant reformation movement. It is my contention that it should remain inhouse, and that those outside of the reformed faith should be understood to stand with the broader and more general categories. When it comes to dispensationalism, we trace its roots back through the Brethren movement, to the Anabaptists and the radical reformation. In 1525 Felix Manz, Conrad Grebel, George Blaurock (and others) separated from Ulrich Zwingli and formed their own groups (the believed the reformation was not going fast enough, or in the right direction). The radical reformation became a separate stream of Christianity that the reformers separated themselves from. They were never part of the reformed movement after that, and they were not part of the inhouse discussion between ‘Calvinists’ and ‘Arminians.’   All of this is to say that to embrace dispensationalism is to step outside of the historic reformed faith and to embrace the radical reformation. In doing that one steps outside of the Calvinist/ Arminian discussion, into the broader and more general monergism/ synergism discussion.   Just as it is impossible to consistently hold to Presbyterian and Dispensational beliefs (one stressing the unity between the old and New covenant, whilst the other demands a separation of these covenants). So also, whilst a dispensational believer might have much in common with a Baptist and Congregationalist (for example some areas of ecclesiology) they cannot be Baptist or congregationalist, and they are not part of the in house debate between Arminianism and Calvinism. I suppose one might be considered a dispensational and ‘baptistic’ or ‘Calvinistic’ as that does emphasize the similarities – but it is to be straddling two camps.   None of this is to suggest that my dispensational brethren are not dear and valuable brothers and sisters in Christ – they are! I don’t know John MacArthur personally, but I have benefited from his writings on several occasions. I do know Phil Johnson a little. He used to come and guest lecture at my seminary when I was training and I always enjoyed his lectures and fellowship however on this point I do think they are both misguided. This idea that one can separate eschatology and soteriology, or ecclesiology and soteriology is alien in reformed thought – they hang or fall together – and they are born out of our hermeneutic. What I perceive within MacArthur’s theology is what has been called a ‘blessed inconsistency’ that puts himself outside of mainstream dispensationalism (a ‘leaky dispensationalist’ as he calls himself) but it is not enough to put within the reformed camp doctrinally speaking. That being said I will continue to listen to his sermons and read his books and benefit greatly from them – and I very much look forward to sharing glory with him. MacArthur is a gospel dominated man, and he has been used greatly by God – his ministry is far more blessed then mine, and his gifts are far greater than mine – so this is not an attack, more an expression of what I understand it takes to own the labels of ‘reformed’ and ‘Calvinist’

in Calvinism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.