The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
NetChaplain

Position & Path

My position is in heaven, and my path upon earth is that which belongs to, and is consistent with, this place I have in the Lord Jesus in glory. My path ought to be the expression that. What was the Lord Jesus’ path in this world? Even as the Son of Man upon earth, He was ever “the Son of Man who is in heaven” (John 1:18; 3:13—omnipresence of Christ—NC). Every atom of His life was the manifestation of this blessed One in heaven; and so is it with us, so far as we are consistent in our “walk in the Spirit.” The Lord Jesus who is in heaven, and who gives me this position in light, in the presence of the Father, is the One that is in me here on earth.

So the Apostle Paul says, “Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh” (2Cor 4:11). The life of the believer on earth is the manifestation of the Life of the Lord Jesus (Col 3:4), in Whom he is though He is in heaven: he is to be the manifestation in this world of that One. Where we fail, where our life does not manifest Him, there comes the Word of God, which is the expression of it, and searches us; and thus there is sanctification by the truth. The Word brings Him to me where He is not shown forth in my life, and judges it.

But the place where the Lord Jesus keeps us is in the Holiest of All. He has sanctified Himself in the presence of the Father for us, and that is the position where He keeps us. We may forget Him, we may and often do fail in appreciating the position in which He has set us, and in walking according to it (due to the old man, thus unintentionally—NC); but in the Holiest of All He keeps us, in unmingled, untiring enjoyment of what is there. There in perfect love and in the light, as my Father is in the light—sin put away, and ourselves as new creations made the righteousness of God in Him.

I have nothing to think about as to my competency to be there. I am there, and I cannot be there except as now being perfectly cleansed as a new creature in Christ Jesus. All sin now blotted out, and there consequently, as thus positioned, I enjoy the unclouded favor of my Father. Presently, here in this world, the Lord Jesus is to be manifest in me. But in the midst of all the trials and difficulties of the way, we find these two means which our Father uses to carry us on—the Word, “sharper than any two-edged sword,” which judges everything that is contrary to the Father, and the intercession of the Lord Jesus which meets all our weakness and failure.

He has trodden the path which we have to tread and has met the same temptations in that path. Now our very weakness, if we are kept in dependence upon the Spirit, is but the continual exercise of affection for the Lord Jesus, and the drawing out of His affection towards us.

- J N Darby

Excerpt from MJS devotional for January 2:

"Christian growth is the becoming real in ourselves, of what is already true of us in the Lord Jesus. 'I am the vine, ye are the branches’, He says. But the vine furnishes the branches, not only with the principle of life, but with the type of life. No pressure or molding from without is needed to shape them to the pattern of the parent stock. Every minutest peculiarity of form, and color, and taste, and fragrance is determined by the root, and developed from it. A true believer, therefore, will ask no better thing of the Lord than that the life also of Jesus may be made manifest in his body (2 Cor. 4:11). For such a manifestation will, by a necessary principle, be the unfolding within him of every needed element of joy and sorrow, of suffering and triumph." -A.J.G.

"Straining, driving effort does not accomplish the work God gives a man to do; we must partake of Christ so fully that He more than fills the life. It will then be not overwork but overflow." – MJS

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• China’s Plans for Global Dominance Include Supplanting the United States’ Leadership Position

By R. Mitchell - Anyone who doubts whether the world is once again immersed in great power competition should read the 2019 China Military Power Report released today by the Defense Intelligence Agency. The 140-page booklet explains China’s strategy and its efforts to supplant the United States and impose its rules on the international order. In a preface to the report, Army Lt. Gen. Robert P. Ashley, the DIA director, said that as China grows in strength and confidence, it will insist on “having a greater voice in global interactions, which at times may be antithetical to U.S. interests.” It’s modeled after the Reagan era’s Soviet Military Power series, and it uses the words of Chinese leaders and publications to make its case. It also details Chinese strategy and the history behind it. The report looks at China’s goals, detailing changes in the structures and commands in the People’s Liberation Army. It also looks at military modernization and the underlying goals of Chinese leaders. It serves as a primer for what the U.S. military must counter and where American money would best be spent. “With a deeper understanding of the military might behind Chinese economic and diplomatic efforts,” Ashley continued, “we can provide our own national political, economic, and military leaders the widest range of options for choosing when to counter, when to encourage, and when to join with China in actions around the world.” China refers to its military strategy as “active defense” which uses offensive actions if the government believes that an enemy may do something against the interests of China, even if the adversary takes no offensive action. Believing this modernization is needed for the country to achieve great power status, Chinese leaders are investing in capabilities across all domains of warfare. What it does with this new-found power is what concerns U.S. and allied leaders. China could impose its will in the region in Asia and around the globe. China’s threat matrix is not limited to global powers. In fact, its own internal reports list small local countries as primary threats: Border Disputes Investment and Modernization China began seriously investing in its military in 2000 and increased its spending by 10% per year until 2016 when it slowed to 5-to-7-percent growth. It is estimated that China spent more than $200 Billion on defense in 2018 which is a three-fold increase since 2002. The Chinese army, the PLA, and navy, the PLAN, are working to enhance their capability to project power globally. Transport aircraft from Russia and the first Chinese aircraft carrier will go a long way to allowing Beijing to move troops, supplies and equipment around the world. China’s carrier performed sea trials in 2018 and is expected to go into service in 2019. Counterspace China has a significant space presence including communications and intelligence satellites and now it is investing serious resources into anti-satellite weaponry. Conclusion China is investing vast sums of money and tremendous resources into modernizing its army and navy. While still years away from being able deploy a massive conventional force across the globe, it is a regional military superpower with significant conventional, nuclear, and space-based assets. China will use its capabilities to push disputed borders further out, reunify Taiwan with the mainland and increase its presence in the South China sea and Indian Ocean. Beijing will also continue its New Silk Road Belt and Road initiative to build ports for less-fortunate countries while indebting those nations to China. This new wave of soft-imperialism will create challenges for NATO, the European Union and the United States. Full 2019 China Military Power Report China-Military-Power-FINAL-5MB-20190103
      Source: Department of Defense – all quotes are from the Defense Intelligence Agency’s 2019 China Military Power Report Content created by Conservative Daily News is available for re-publication without charge under the Creative Commons license. Visit our syndication page for details. China’s Plans for Global Dominance Include Supplanting the United States’ Leadership Position is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to Leave His Position on January 1st, President Trump Reveals via Twitter

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis will leave his position on Jan. 1, President Donald Trump announced this week in a tweet. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Eminem Announces He Will Decline Chief Of Staff Position Should Trump Select Him

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, MI—Speaking in a recorded message to his fans, Eminem confirmed Friday that he will decline President Trump's invitation to serve as his chief of staff, should Trump ask him. The post Eminem Announces He Will Decline Chief Of Staff Position Should Trump Select Him appeared first on The Babylon Bee. View the original full article

in Christian Satire

• China is Negotiating With Trump From a Position Of Weakness and it’s Changing Beijing’s Approach

By Jason Hopkins - China’s economic downturn is forcing the typically-abrasive nation to tread lightly as it continues trade negotiations with the Trump administration. The arrest of Meng Wanzhou — an executive at a major Chinese tech company and daughter of one of the most respected businessmen in the country — earlier in December brought the prospect of a new low between U.S.-China relations. U.S. authorities had requested the Canadian government to detain Wanzhou on accusations that she misled financial institutions and caused them to violate Iran sanctions. The arrest put a recent trade truce between the two countries in jeopardy. However, no such deterioration in negotiations has yet to take place. While Chinese officials have issued statements condemning the arrest, they have also taken a measured approach by framing the situation as a law enforcement issue. At the same time, trade talks have continued unabated. “The Chinese government really wants to negotiate a deal with the United States to calm down the conflict, not only because of economic difficulties right now in China but also for the sake of long-term relations with the United States,” Tu Xinquan, the executive dean of the China Institute for World Trade Organization Studies, stated to the New York Times. China’s economy is in dire need of a boost. Government data released in October revealed the country’s economic growth rate had slowed to its slowest pace since 2009, a time when the entire world was reeling from the global financial crisis. President Donald Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods have made their situation worse, negatively affecting the country’s export industries. The situation has forced Chinese President Xi Jinping to keep pushing for a permanent trade deal. Trump and Xi reached a major breakthrough earlier in December at the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires, with Trump successfully extracting a number of concessions from Xi in exchange for not increasing tariffs on Chinese goods. Xi agreed to immediately buy more U.S. agricultural products and more industrial, energy products. The Chinese leader also pledged to a number of property theft and a cybersecurity concessions, although specific details have yet to be hashed out. Despite the U.S. still maintaining tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese imports, Xi has already gone ahead and followed through on some of the pledges he made in Buenos Aires. The Chinese government has, for example, lifted import barriers on U.S. cars, food and energy. It’s not immediately where the talks will lead, but Xi is bending over backward to get the U.S. tariffs dropped. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] China is Negotiating With Trump From a Position Of Weakness and it’s Changing Beijing’s Approach is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.