The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
kunoichi9280

Need help with an apologetics question re: Old Covenant

I was talking with a somewhat liberal Catholic who has also attended the Eastern Orthodox for a period of time.  He said that he didn't believe in the Catholic notion that if you commit one mortal sin you go to hell, but that there was certainly greater and lesser sins.  I said that I believed all sins were mortal in a sense, in that we all deserve hell for our sins. He said that if that were the case, then Christians would be worse off then under the Old Covenant where you could sacrifice animals to atone for sin and Gentile God-fearers could be saved.  I asked what was the point of Jesus coming and dying if some of us could be a sinner that was "not really that bad", but beyond that I blanked out on how to answer his point.   Any input would be greatly appreciated if only so I can answer myself in my own mind. 🙂

Staff
21 minutes ago, kunoichi9280 said:

I was talking with a somewhat liberal Catholic who has also attended the Eastern Orthodox for a period of time.  He said that he didn't believe in the Catholic notion that if you commit one mortal sin you go to hell, but that there was certainly greater and lesser sins.  I said that I believed all sins were mortal in a sense, in that we all deserve hell for our sins. He said that if that were the case, then Christians would be worse off then under the Old Covenant where you could sacrifice animals to atone for sin and Gentile God-fearers could be saved.  I asked what was the point of Jesus coming and dying if some of us could be a sinner that was "not really that bad", but beyond that I blanked out on how to answer his point.   Any input would be greatly appreciated if only so I can answer myself in my own mind. 🙂

Pelagianism (semi) is what the Catholic church teaches. Pelagianism was condemned by the early catholic church. Pelagianism teaches that the natural man is basically good and only in need of a good moral teacher. The catholic church originally condemned Pelagianism while holding to the principles of sola Scriptura. It wasn't until sola scriptura was abandoned that the Catholic church contradicted early councils and synods and regressed (semi) towards Pelagainism:

Pelagianism was condemned. Six years after the council of Carthage a general council of African Churches reaffirmed the anathemas of 412 AD. Zosimus sided with Pelagius in 412, he wrote a letter condemning the anathema of Carthage. Of course having the support of Scripture, the leaders of the Carthagian Council disregarded the Bishop and his letter. Philip Schaff noted church historian observes, "This temporary favor of the bishop of Rome towards the Pelagian heresy is a significant presage of the indulgence of later popes for pelagianizing tendencies". It was these later "pelagianizing tendencies" that lead to the works-righteousness advocated by the bishop of Rome that later led to the Roman Catholic belief system. This was a pivotal moment in church history. Cornelius Otto Jansen like Martin Luther believed the early Church of Rome departed from its position that all of life was by the grace of God. And like Augustine Jansen taught that man's spirit was dead in sin, and therefore needed to be regenerated. Jansen understood that this was something that happened to man by God's grace and not something man made happen by his faith. In 1713 Pope Clement the XI issued a Papal Bull denouncing over 100 statements, many of which were actual quotes of Augustine. A Church that once sided with Augustine now sided with Pelagius.

And, with what you are stating, I believe you're absolutely right. James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. To suggest that man is basically good is to convey the unnecessary atonement and propitiation of Jesus. If man is righteous he has little need for Christ.

The OT sacrifices to touch upon a last point were nothing but "temporary" types and shadows which had to be repeated until Jesus' offered Himself up in our stead. They were never meant to be permanent, obviously, as even in the OT they were offered up occasionally.

As far as blanking out, don't worry about that. When approached by the absurd it is a common reaction. It's called being stunned by theological ignorance.

If you wish to read more about Pelagianism:

God bless,

William

3 minutes ago, William said:

And like Augustine Jansen taught that man's spirit was dead in sin, and therefore needed to be regenerated. Jansen understood that this was something that happened to man by God's grace and not something man made happen by his faith. 

I think this is the crux of the problem the person I was talking to has.  He doesn't really believe in original sin, so it makes sense that he doesn't believe in the need for regeneration, and therefore a person has at least some good in them and can be "good enough".  Whereas what I was trying to say and didn't do a good job of is that all men need regenerating.   

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Poll Question: The Rich man and Lazarus Parable or Not?

Is the story of the Rich man and Lazarus a parable and does it really make a difference?  Wouldn't the story still teach the same truths even if is a parable?   John Calvin held the view that it is not a parable but he also states "But that is of little consequence, provided that the reader comprehends the doctrine which it contains."

in Bible Study

• The Best Single-Volume Introduction to Apologetics

What comes to mind when you think of Christian apologetics? How is it done, and whose responsibility is it? Some prominent Christian leaders recently shared what comes to their minds—the steady publication of apologetic-themed books, ongoing public debates, and the proliferation of blogs and social media. Citing these trends, two leaders declared that we’re experiencing the “golden age” of apologetics. I’m not convinced. Though I don’t wish to minimize the intrinsic value of much of the apologetic work, I do suspect it’s contributed to an impoverished view of apologetics as a purely intellectual discipline conducted primarily by professionals. Far from being in its golden age, apologetics is now rarely found in the one place where it must be found—local churches. I fear that in many churches, apologetics is seen as a daunting task to be outsourced rather than a joyful calling to be embodied as a way of life. Churches are thus left with a secondhand “drive-by apologetics” that doesn’t witness to a particular people and place. We need a better way. In Apologetics at the Cross: An Introduction for Christian Witness, authors Joshua Chatraw and Mark Allen show us a strikingly better way. As faculty members at Liberty University, Chatraw and Allen “sensed a disconnect between apologetics and the local church” and between apologetics and other disciplines (13). As a corrective, the church must recover what they call “apologetics at the cross.” Comparing the layout of the book to the construction of a house, they construct their proposal in three parts: the foundation, the walls/exterior structure, and the interior practice of apologetics at the cross. Gospel Foundation In part one, Chatraw and Allen begin by laying a distinctly biblical foundation for apologetics (chs. 1–2). After surveying how apologetics is practiced in the New Testament, they conclude: “An apologetic should be measured by the degree of clarity with which it points to and functions in light of the most important event in human history [i.e., the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ]” (61). This point carries two important considerations. First, the goal of apologetics must be to “clear the debris of doubt out of people’s paths and propel them forward toward the gospel” (137). While this point should seem obvious, it’s lost on some for whom apologetics seems to “simply be [about] intellectual respectability or a defense of theism, as if belief in any deity will do” (29). However, second, we mustn’t merely tack on the gospel to the end like some sort of appendage. The gospel must shape the entire way we do apologetics, guiding us to humbly focus on the needs of others and graciously show them how their needs are met in Christ. As Chatraw and Allen show, the Bible places ultimate importance on the goal and character of apologetics and “does not outline any single, definitive apologetic method,” but instead “makes many different kinds of appeals and persuades at various levels using contextualized arguments” (105). They then draw insights from a variety of sources in the Christian tradition (chs. 3–4). Apologetics as Map-Making Building on the biblical and historical foundation that’s been laid, in part two (chs. 5–9) Chatraw and Allen turn to construct the “walls” that provide the framework for apologetics at the cross. In chapter five, they encourage the reader to view apologetics as a map-making enterprise in which Christians “lead people on a journey to our ‘hometown’—the Christian faith” (105). The authors then survey four prominent apologetic methodologies that offer competing ways to draw such maps: (1) classical apologetics, (2) evidential apologetics, (3) presuppositional apologetics, and (4) experiential/narratival apologetics. Though Chatraw and Allen helpfully summarize key strengths and weaknesses of these methodologies, they don’t champion any one as “the map” to use. Rather than relying on a single map, “apologetics at the cross stresses that different people find different arguments and collections of arguments more persuasive than others” (130). For this reason, Chatraw and Allen strive to equip readers with the resources necessary to begin drawing contextualized maps of their own. These maps should lead people to a common destination—the gospel. In light of this, Chatraw and Allen identify four gospel implications (chs. 6–9) that ought to frame the map-making process: We are called to take people to the cross (i.e., the gospel) through word and deed (ch. 6). We are called to demonstrate cruciform humility before God and others (ch. 7). We must appeal to the whole person for the sake of the gospel (ch. 8). We must contextualize through the lens of the cross (ch. 9). ‘Inside Out’ Approach Having explained the framework for apologetic map-making, Chatraw and Allen devote part 3 (chs. 10–13) to guiding us through the actual process of drawing maps to the Christian faith. Because you can’t draw a useful map without knowing the place a person is starting, the first step (ch. 10) is to “step inside an unbeliever’s cultural framework and work from the inside out” (197). The authors provide a series of diagnostic questions that help the apologist go inside the unbeliever’s framework to “challenge it on its own terms by helping them see that it is inconsistent and unlivable,” and then working their way out by “lay[ing] the groundwork for them to take Christianity . . . more seriously” by demonstrating how the gospel alone addresses their need (217). While drawing maps to the Christian faith, apologists must be prepared to clear debris along the road. To this end, Chatraw and Allen address some prominent cultural attitudes (ch. 11) and rational “defeaters” (ch. 12) that affect an unbeliever’s ability to accept the plausibility of Christianity. Rather than offering a “universal map for answering each defeater so you can memorize and then mechanistically recite it,” they provide “trajectories for responses that you can personalize when you are drawing a map to answer a particular set of challenges to Christianity” (251). Urgent Corrective What comes to mind when you think of Christian apologetics? If it’s anything less than the gospel of Jesus Christ, then it isn’t Christian apologetics, Chatraw and Allen say. With its call to recognize “the gospel [as] both the goal and the lens through which the apologetic task is approached,” Apologetics at the Cross stands as an urgent corrective to those “apologists of glory” who seem more interested in winning a respectability contest than in leading unbelievers to the cross (318). This book also offers a timely corrective to churches and individual Christians who outsource the work of apologetics to academic and parachurch professionals (318). In their closing paragraph, Chatraw and Allen beautifully emphasize the need for local churches to function as a corporate apologetic for Jesus Christ: A healthy church remains central to a healthy apologetic. Cruciform lives, functioning as apologetic portraits to the world around us, are not ultimately or primarily cultivated by attending weekend conferences, watching your favorite apologist on the internet, or even reading books like this. The wisdom of the cross, so central in drawing the right apologetic map for the right situation, grows within the rich soil of God’s people singing, reading, feasting, praying, and confessing around God’s Word. (318) Christians who are ready to take up the call to draw life-saving, contextualized maps for their unbelieving neighbors will find Apologetics at the Cross an excellent place to begin. It’s one of those rare books that capably surveys historical and contemporary issues while constructively offering practical insights and tools. When ready to move on, the reader will be pointed in fruitful directions by an array of resources the authors recommend for additional study. Simply put, Apologetics at the Cross is the best single-volume introduction to apologetics available today and is sure to become a standard textbook. Editors’ note: Joshua Chatraw and Mark Allen will be leading a workshop on “Augustinian Apologetics for Everyday Conversations” at our 2019 National Conference, April 1 to 3 in Indianapolis. You can browse the complete list of 74 speakers and 58 talks. The conference is fast-approaching, so register soon! View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Federal Judge Orders Removal Of Citizenship Question From 2020 Census

By Kevin Daley - A federal judge in New York barred the Trump administration from including a citizenship question on the 2020 census questionnaire. The decision appears to have significant implications for a related matter the Supreme Court is poised to decide in the spring. “The attempts by the Trump administration to mandate a question about citizenship were not rooted in a desire to strengthen the census process and would only undermine our immigrant communities,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement. “Inciting fear in our residents is not only immoral, but also ill-conceived.” The Constitution mandates a census every ten years to apportion seats in the House of Representatives among the states. Population is also used as a basis for rewarding federal aid. A coalition of Democratic cities, states, and interest groups challenged the addition of a citizenship question to the census questionnaire in April 2018, warning it would discourage minority participation. An incomplete survey of minority populations, the plaintiffs feared, would result in diminished federal funds and congressional representation for urban areas. The plaintiffs charged that the addition of the citizenship question violated the Constitution and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), a federal law establishing protocols for the issuance of regulations. In his Tuesday decision, U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman accepted the plaintiffs’ APA claims while rejecting their constitutional arguments. “[Ross] failed to consider several important aspects of the problem; alternately ignored, cherry-picked, or badly misconstrued the evidence in the record before him; acted irrationally both in light of that evidence and his own stated decisional criteria; and failed to justify significant departures from past policies and practices — a veritable smorgasbord of classic, clear-cut APA violations,” Furman wrote. Elsewhere in the decision, Furman said Ross was not truthful about his motives for adding a citizenship question. Though the secretary initially said publicly that the question was added at the request of the Department of Justice, subsequent evidence showed Ross discussed the matter with White House aides far earlier than initially understood. “Finally, and perhaps most egregiously, the evidence is clear that Secretary Ross’s rationale was pretextual — that is, that the real reason for his decision was something other than the sole reason he put forward in his memorandum,” Furman wrote. Former President Barack Obama elevated Furman to the federal bench in 2012. The plaintiffs sought a deposition from Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross at a previous phase of the litigation. The Department of Commerce oversees the Census Bureau, and Ross himself authorized the addition of the citizenship question. Though Furman authorized the Ross deposition, the Supreme Court intervened to stop it in October 2018. Shortly thereafter in November 2018, the high court agreed to decide what evidence Furman could rely upon when making his decision. When plaintiffs challenge agency action in court, the agency itself generally turns over the body of documents and evidence it relied upon to make its decision. Those writings are called the administrative record. In most cases of this nature, the court will make its decision based only on the administrative record. However, Furman allowed the plaintiffs to gather evidence beyond the administrative record to challenge the citizenship question. The Supreme Court agreed to decide whether that decision was correct. The Justice Department may appeal Furman’s decision. Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] Federal Judge Orders Removal Of Citizenship Question From 2020 Census is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust - Conservative News Website for U.S. News, Political Cartoons and more. View the original full article

in Political Conservative News

• Best arguments for Covenant/Household Baptism

Really short version by JTB.SDG:   1) The covenant promises to Abraham were about salvation in the fullest sense (Gen.17:7-8; NT scripture). "...to be God to you and to your descendants after you." This is the essence of God's covenant with Abraham; and if you get this, everything else falls into place (below).   2) The covenant promises were made not only to Abraham but also to his offspring (Gen.17:7-8). "I will be God" --not just to Abraham--But: "to you and to your descendants after you. . .I will be their God." The exact same promise that is made to Abraham is equally made to his descendants.   3) The covenant sign of circumcision was given to Abraham as a sign of THAT salvation. The sign of the covenant represents what the covenant is. If the covenant is about salvation, the sign is about salvation. This means that circumcision wasn't actually an ethnic or national sign--it was a spiritual sign. a) Abraham was marked with circumcision to signify his faith only after he believed (Rom.4:11). True. So why infant baptism? Abraham believed FIRST, and then and only then did he receive the sign.   b) Because he was then to apply that same sign to his infant sons before belief was possible (Gen.17:7-8). The exact same sign that he only received AFTER believing, he was to mark his infant sons with at 8 days old. It's what God commanded. Adult-circumcision for Abraham; but infant circumcision for his sons.       4) New Testament believers have entered into the SAME covenant promises made to Abraham (Rom.11:17 makes it clear there was not an OT tree and separate NT tree, but we are grafted into the same tree begun with Abraham). Galatians 3 and other Scripture make it really clear that the promises made to Abraham are GOSPEL promises that extend also to us as NT believers. Our only hope as NT believers are the covenant promises made to Abraham.   5) The NT Scriptures confirm that those covenant promises still extend to our children (Acts 2:39; household baptisms in the NT; and think about 1Cor.7:14--children of believers are "holy"--in what sense? Are they automatically saved? No. In the sense that they are "set apart" from unbelieving children. How set apart? They are part of the covenant--the same pattern as OT children).   6) THUS, our infant children should continue to be marked with the covenant sign.   IMPORTANT CLARIFICATIONS:   7) This doesn't mean that all Abraham's children (or ours) will be saved: this is by faith alone (cf. Ishmael, Esau; Rom.9:6-8, etc).   8) But it does mean that our children are included in the covenant and should receive the sign.   So--a question for you--I would love to hear. What about this would you object to?

in Covenant/Household Baptism

• Electrical Question

This is for the electrical engineers of the group, or at those who fancy themselves in that group.  I have a couple of motion sensor switches I want to install in my bathrooms.  The problem is that nearly nothing in this house is grounded, as it was built in the 50's.  My question is, is it possible, or simply inadvisable, to connect the ground wire of the switch to the neutral wire, which should ultimately be connected to the main ground out at the power pole?  Is this stupidly dangerous, or actually quite doable?

in Computers & Technology

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.