The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

The desertion of Demas (2 Timothy 4:10)

Demas is mentioned 3 times in the Bible (Colossians 4:14; 2 Timothy 4:10 and Philemon 1:24). I sometimes wonder why Demas had forsaken Paul? I know he loved this present world, but was it because of fear of being martyred with Paul or did he want to continue to live a Christian life with less adversity? It seems he was a believer. Mark abandoned Paul (Acts 13:13) which annoyed Paul (Acts 15:36-41), but Paul would later speak of the usefulness of Mark (2 Timothy 4:11).

Any other thoughts about Demas?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• The true worship of Jesus by the Jehovah's Witnesses (2 Timothy 4:16-18)

2 Timothy 4:16-18 (16) At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them. (17) But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion’s mouth. (18) The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (NASB)   In their book Stay Close to Jehovah's Organization the Jehovah's Witnesses assert the following (the bold face is mine):  Even if you do find yourself isolated from all your Christian brothers, keep in mind that you are not isolated from Jehovah and his Son, Jesus Christ. Your hope can remain firm. Jehovah can still hear your prayers, and he can strengthen you with his spirit. Look to him for guidance. Remember that you are a servant of Jehovah and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Therefore, make good use of opportunities to witness. Jehovah will bless your efforts, and others may soon join you in true worship.—Acts 4:13-31; 5:27-42; Phil. 1:27-30; 4:6, 7; 2 Tim. 4:16-18. (Organized to Do Jehovah's Will, see the 5th to the last paragraph). https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014947    As with all the other passages cited 2 Timothy 4:16-18 is also used in reference to true worship.   Notice though that the Jehovah's Witnesses affirm that the "Lord" in both 2 Timothy 4:17 and 2 Timothy 4:18 refers to the Lord Jesus.      a. Our Kingdom Ministry—2014: Even in his heavenly position, Jesus shows personal interest. (2 Tim. 4:17) (Improving Our Skills in the Ministry—Showing Personal Interest) https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202014401      b. The Watchtower: The individuals hearing Jesus could, if they faithfully served God, have the expectation of reigning with Christ in heaven. (2 Tim. 4:18; Rev. 20:4, 6) (Questions From Readers, March 1, 1967). https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1967167    Thus the Jehovah's Witnesses (inadvertently?) affirm that true worship is properly rendered unto the Lord Jesus.  

in Arianism

• Timothy Keller Warns Christians Not to Assign the Church a Political Party

Christian author and American Theologian Timothy Keller argued in a New York Times op-ed that Christians cannot and should not assign the church a political party in an effort to combat modern social issues. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Worship Jesus in doxology (2 Timothy 4:18; 2 Peter 3:18)

Doxology A doxology is "an ascription of praise or glory to God in song or prayer."[*1] If the Lord Jesus were to receive just one doxology[*2] this would prove that He was worshiped as God for:   Doxologies, by their very nature, were addressed to the one God who alone is worthy of eternal glory and worship. Bauckham draws the only possible conclusion: "There could be no clearer way of ascribing to Jesus the worship due to God" (The Deity of Christ, Christopher W. Morgan and Robert A. Peterson, page 163).    2 Timothy 4:18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (NASB)       1.Tony Costa: "the Lord" here in keeping with traditional Pauline linguistic parlance is a reference to the risen Jesus (Worship and the Risen Jesus in the Pauline Letters, page 60).      2. Notice that the Father is the recipient of the doxology in Galatians 1:5[*3] and the same Greek words of worship ascribed to Him there[*4] are used in reference to the Lord Jesus in 2 Timothy 4:18. ᾧ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν (Galatians 1:5) 
      ᾧ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν (2 Timothy 4:18)   Galatians 1:5 teaches the worship due unto the Father while 2 Timothy 4:18 teaches the worship due unto the Lord Jesus.[*5]   2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (NASB)       1. J. Schneider and C. Brown: The letter closes with a prayer taking up again the theme of knowledge which doubtless includes that of the commandment of Christ: "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen" (2 Pet. 3:18) (NIDNTT 3:221, Redemption, the bold face is mine).       2. Daniel Whedon: To him be glory—That is, to Christ; an attribute never ascribed in doxology to any creature in scripture. 
      http://www.studylight.org/com/whe/view.cgi?bk=60&ch=3       [*1] See G. B. Funderburk in the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (2:180, doxology).    [*2] In addition to 2 Timothy 4:18 and 2 Peter 3:18 see 1 Timothy 1:17; Hebrews 13:21; 1 Peter 4:11; Revelation 1:5-6; 5:13-14.  https://www.christforums.org/topic/6234-yes-it-is-proper-to-worship-the-lord-jesus-christ/   [*3] Richard Longenecker affirms that the doxology in Galatians 1:5 constitutes "the praise and worship of God by his creatures, of which he alone is worthy (cf. Pss 29:2; 96:8)" (Word Biblical Commentary, Galatians, page 9, volume 41).    [*4] Many versions read "to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen" or something similar.   [*5] The Lord Jesus who "stood" with Paul in Acts 23:11 is the same Lord that had continually "stood" with him throughout his life (2 Timothy 4:17). Furthermore, the Lord Jesus has "rescued" (rhyomai) Paul from the lion's mouth (4:17) and will "rescue" (rhyomai) him from every evil deed (4:18; cf. Galatians 1:3-4). Moreover, in verse 17 the word "strengthened" (endynamoō) is used only two other times in Paul's' letters to Timothy and in both instances it is applied to the Lord Jesus (1 Timothy 1:12; 2 Timothy 2:1). 

in God (Trinitarian doctrines)

• Justin Bieber Seen Carrying Timothy Keller’s The Meaning of Marriage in NYC

Pop star, Justin Bieber, was seen in New York on Wednesday evening, carrying Presbyterian pastor, Timothy Keller’s book, The Meaning of Marriage. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.