The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Grafted Branch

The shape of new Jerusalem

I heard a somewhat liberal preacher say the shape of the new Jerusalem in Revelation 21:16 will be pyramid shaped. He tried to link it to the Israelites getting this shape from God and when they were slaves in Egypt they designed the pyramids. I didn’t believe much of what he said but it did get me to think. New Jerusalem could be a sphere if you consider the earth is sometimes depicted as having 4 corners, it could also be X or cross shaped. In fact there could be a number of different shapes depending on how “foursquare” is interpreted and how it’s measured. Just thought I’d share this as I had only thought of it as a box.

The city lies foursquare, its length the same as its width. And he measured the city with his rod, 12,000 stadia. Its length and width and height are equal.

Revelation 21:16 ESV

The base of the city can only be square.  If the height is the same as the length and width it could be either a cube or a pyramid.  The next verse shows which it is.

He also measured its wall, 144 cubits by human measurement, which is also an angel's measurement.

Revelation 21:17 ESV

If the city were a cube it would make no sense to have a wall around it.  Each of the sides would in fact be a wall.  But if it is a cube then having a wall around it does make sense.  This is why I believe the city will be shaped like a pyramid.

Staff

Some interesting points concerning the New Jerusalem in Rev. 21:16-17.

12,000 stadia = 1,380 miles

144 cubits = 72 yards (thick or high?)

Staff

Ya'll are putting God in a box :RpS_lol:

• Like 2
  • Toast 1

Staff
1 hour ago, William said:

Ya'll are putting God in a box :RpS_lol:

What can I say, He seems to prefer it.

1 Kings 6:20 The inner sanctuary was twenty cubits long, twenty cubits wide, and twenty cubits high, and he overlaid it with pure gold.

• Like 2
  • Toast 1

Staff

Heb 12:22  But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 
Heb 12:23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 
Heb 12:24  And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. 
1Pe 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 
1Pe 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. 
1Pe 2:7  Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 
1Pe 2:8  And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. 
1Pe 2:9  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 

• Love 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, Origen said:

Some interesting points concerning the New Jerusalem in Rev. 21:16-17.

12,000 stadia = 1,380 miles

144 cubits = 72 yards (thick or high?)

Yes, they are interesting, but are we to take it literally?

We have a cube, 12000 stadia by 12000 stadia= 144000000 stadia.

each wall is 12000 stadia long and 12000 stadia high=144000000

and 144 cubits thick,

where else do we see this number?

Rev 7 and the 144000

Is it possible they are related? Could the temple of God be made up of 144000 Born again Jews?

or since we are the temple of God, could this be a picture of God on his thrown, with believers encircling him

God in the center and we the walls

Yes I believe the 144000 are a picture of all believers

Staff
20 hours ago, Guppy said:

Yes, they are interesting, but are we to take it literally?

I don't think so.

20 hours ago, Guppy said:

Is it possible they are related?

I would think very possible.