The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Help for Those Who’ve Lost the Art of Friendship

friendship-tgc-300x128.jpg

“Why can’t we be friends?”

“Friends are friends forever, if the Lord’s the Lord of them.”

“I can tell that we are gonna be friends.”

Do any of these lyrics sound familiar? Whether it’s the soulful vibe from the 1970s, a melody from Michael W. Smith, or Jack White singing over a soft guitar riff, the idea of friendship resonates in our culture. In Made for Friendship: The Relationship that Halves Our Sorrows and Doubles our Joys, Drew Hunter—teaching pastor at Zionsville Fellowship in Zionsville, Indiana—tells us we were made for friendship based on the image of the One who created us. Friendship is innate to humanity because it is innate to God. Hunter’s premise is simple yet profound: “The greatest power for becoming a better friend is being befriended by the best Friend” (15).

Being a Friend

Friendship exists because God befriended us, and created us to befriend one another. But though friendship is crucial to human life, we live in a world where friendship with God and friendship with one another has been fractured and frayed. Because of this dramatic loss, we’re unable to experience the fullness of joy even in the best of our (still broken) friendships.

While the fracturing of friendship is a result of living in a Genesis 3 world, that fracturing has noticeably increased in recent decades. True friendship escapes us due to busyness, an increasingly disembodied social experience, and a shallow definition and experience of friendship in general. Our dilemma, Hunter observes, is that our soul longs for the intimacy we once had with God and each other. It’s our “primal longing” and hence it’s “essential for the good life because God wove it into the fabric of the world” (43, 41).

Friendship exists because God befriended us and created us to befriend one another.

After establishing our need for friendship, Hunter moves into the practical implications of what friendship accomplishes. Friendship completes our earthly happiness (as far as it is possible). Leaning on an excellent line from J. C. Ryle, Hunter takes readers through the journey of how friendship “halves our troubles and doubles our joys” (59). Our joy in friendship comes from sharing our joys with others. Additionally, our sorrows and burdens are lightened when we walk with a dear friend amid those trials. Friends are consistent and present. Hunter, with a sneaky rick roll any good friend would appreciate, asserts, “A real friend will never give you up or let you down. He will never turn away or desert you” (82).

The formula for friendship here is simple: “Honesty + Acceptance = Real Friendship” (87). But the best and deepest bond can only exist if Christ is at the center and Christlikeness is the goal (92).

Cultivating Friends

If the heart of true friendship is Christ and the goal Christlikeness, how should we cultivate friendship? Hunter has a few practical suggestions.

First, we need to understand how to say yes to friendship by saying no to other things.

Second, we need to be aware of forming new relationships where we live.

Third, we should consider the weight of losing or straining friendships as we consider moving. Sometimes moving may be necessary, but extra wealth shouldn’t be sought at the expense of friendship.

Though friendship requires immense work and dedication, simple things can contribute to its growth. Finding more opportunities to get together, making time to call or video chat, engaging in spiritually enriching conversation around a book or Scripture, and other “side-by-side” activities are all ways friendships can grow. Hunter reveals nothing profound or new, yet he does help readers reassess their priorities through the filter of friendship.

His suggestions are simple yet will require a reorientation of our life so that meaningful relationships may be cultivated. Hunter observes, “In the end, the best advice for cultivating friendship is not to find a better friend but to become one” (116).

Our Best Friend

Hunter weaves biblical truth, including theological and historical depth, into this short and approachable book. He dedicates the last chapters to a biblical theology of friendship and the character of Jesus Christ as friend. Among all the relationships we have to Jesus, one that is often overlooked yet describes him best is that of friend. When we see the cross as an act of friendship, when we discern that in Jesus we’re never truly alone, and that in Jesus our circle of friends can and should increase dramatically, we can better understand how friendship is the “goal of our salvation and the ultimate end of our existence” (150). When we have entered into the covenant of friendship by faith in Christ, we can “enjoy the privilege of walking every step, every day, onward into the eternal world of friendship to come” (157).

Christians aren’t immune to the disconnecting devices of our age, and thus we need all the biblical wisdom we can get in order to pursue friendship.

Made for Friendship is timely and urgently needed for our cultural moment. Christians aren’t immune to the disconnecting devices of our age, and thus we need all the biblical wisdom we can get in order to pursue friendship. Hunter’s gift to the church is the simple clarion call of pursuing friendship. Were we to heed his appeal, how might it affect our witness outside the church and our ministry inside? How might it increase our joy? How might it better inform our view of redemptive history and the person and work of Jesus Christ?

I believe that if we sit across the table from this Christian friend and glean his wisdom, every aspect of our Christian life will change drastically. So pull up a chair and listen to the wise words of this friend as he relays to you the message of the Great Friend.

GuBT9vMg9AA

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• The Unexpected Friendship That Prepared Me for Ministry

Barry called me every day for 11 years, usually more than once, sometimes up to 20 times a day. When Barry didn’t call, I thought something might be up. When Barry didn’t answer my call, I knew something was. After one particular day of radio silence, I went by Barry’s apartment. It was on the ground floor, which meant I could bang on the windows when he didn’t answer the door. On this occasion, I glimpsed Barry huddled under a windowsill to stay out of my sight. Barry was 6’3″ and weighed 360 pounds, so he looked like a grizzly bear trying to hide behind a lampshade. I was filled with righteous indignation (at least that’s how I justified it). “I know you’re using in there, Barry!” I yelled. “You can pretend you’re not in there, but God is—he sees you right now! A holy God is in that apartment while you light up!” Barry responded, “You just don’t understand, man. You don’t know what I’ve been through and how hard it is.” It stings to admit I acted this way as a 23-year-old seminary student. I felt prophetic at the time, but I was a fool. I thought I was standing in Peter’s line calling “Repent!” when in reality I was far closer to the Pharisee: “Thank God I’m not a sinner like this.” Only as I arrived to pick up Barry one Sunday morning did I begin to understand the depth of his struggle. I found him sprawled across the table with both arms gashed open, blood everywhere. Life was barely clinging to him. I called 911, and then lifted his arms above his head to slow the blood flow. As I hugged my dying friend, the depth of his pain was excruciatingly evident. Barry wasn’t spending his days marking out dark plans for his next hit. The next hit was a mirage of relief. He was chasing an illusion of freedom—freedom from memories of abuse, from sins of the past, and from harsh realities of the present. Friends on a Mission Barry and I became friends when his first pastor called me. Barry needed distance from the trials and temptations of the neighborhood. The old bar around the corner and the old friend next door pose a challenging atmosphere to a young believer. Barry moved a couple miles away into my neighborhood—a long way when you ride the bus or walk—in order to create helpful space for new habits and relationships to grow. Our friendship sprouted from God’s Word. I would drop by and read the Bible with Barry. We’d read, talk, pray and then grab a bite at the deli down the street. Barry would try his most recent rap on me over a coney dog, or we’d throw a fishing line in the Detroit River to see if anything was biting. Barry and I became partners in the gospel as the Spirit used our different gifts and strengths to help each other. Barry had a heart for the broken, the needy, the downtrodden. He knew their struggle, largely because it mirrored his own. He was always stepping out to help them. Until the day Barry died—of sepsis in March 2018—he lived on less than $1,000 of income and government assistance per month, yet I saw him give food away nearly every week. I saw him give the good news about Jesus away even more. When I introduced Barry to a man just released from prison, Barry gave him a bed in his apartment within five minutes. The mission fused our friendship. I’d studied farming; Barry could see the harvest. God used us together in ways I never could’ve imagined. But he also used Barry to change me. Friendship as a Mirror I inhaled one piece of cheese bread after another as I stood by the kitchen sink. My wife told me to grab a plate, sit down, and slow down. I had tunnel vision. A complex counseling situation was crushing me. I was responding the way I’d responded so many times before: with food. Suddenly, it dawned on me just how similar Barry and I were. Where I grew up, you didn’t deal with stress through drugs or alcohol. Those things weren’t acceptable, but other sin was. I ran to pizza because no one raised me to run to dope. But make no mistake: my kitchen counter was Barry’s corner. His bar was my pizza shop. My sin was more culturally acceptable, but it was no less lethal when I leaned on it rather than God. The Spirit began using Barry to expose my sinfulness. At a heart level, he and I were no different. We had different mentors, knew different neighborhoods, and were taught different ways to cope. My life was a mountain of undeserved kindness. I was raised in church; generations of my family knew Jesus; my education was phenomenal; my upbringing was sheltered. Not so for Barry. His upbringing was different in almost every way. Yet there I was, nursing the same sinful habits with more culturally acceptable nameplates. Replacing God brings judgment, regardless of whether we use carbs or cocaine. A psychologist might call my misunderstanding of Barry the Fundamental Attribution Error. When other people fail, you point to their flawed character or harmful intentions. Their failure is a problem with who they are or an expression of their hostility toward me. When I fail, however, I point to the circumstances and pressures in my life. You’re late because you’re lazy or don’t care. I’m late because I’m busy and it’s been a crazy week. My pride told me that Barry was naïve and too soft on people, that his struggles were personal discipline problems. That man Barry housed straight out of prison? He stole Barry’s coat. Those people who needed food? They could somehow afford cigarettes. My clinical analysis saw through them. In fact, I saw only the worst in them. Other Side of the Tracks Barry would often gently remind me: “You gotta remember, Wavey Gravey (his nickname for me), God gave you loving parents and a safe home and so many blessings. Lots of people are just trying to survive. They’ve almost never felt safe and they’ve never been taught.” I can’t remember those words without tearing up. He was correct. I grew up on the “right” side of the tracks. I had—and still have—so much to learn. Barry wanted me to treat others in light of the grace God had shown me. The Spirit had created a gentle, merciful heart in that mountain of a man. Without Christ, Barry embraced the harsh facade a drug dealer wears to survive the street. God mercifully stripped Barry of that and replaced it with a Spirit-wrought gentleness toward the least, the last, and the lost. And he used Barry to strip away the pride in me. The Spirit used Barry’s understanding of the gospel to transform my perspective of myself. In Christ, we can both see sin clearly and also show mercy gently. Every person is a complex combination of villain and victim. They have done horrible things. Horrible things have been done to them. They need to turn from sin to Jesus Christ. Every month I helped Barry with his budget. I did this for 11 years. And every month for 11 years I would bust him over spending more than he had on stupid stuff. But as I sat with a young man in seminary this morning, I told him, “You know what, Barry never got that stinkin’ budget in order. Despite all that time I spent harassing him about it, he never got it down. But what does it matter now? Barry is with Jesus! He’s experiencing unending joy in the presence of our King. Jesus didn’t stiff-arm Barry at the door because his budget was out of whack—he embraced him with the love bestowed upon a righteous son. I see it now! The God who began a good work in Barry completed that work (Phil. 1:6) without needing me to get him all spiffed up and squared away.” God’s truth deserves obedience and demands declaration. But sometimes, people like me need to take a chill pill and walk gently with those who struggle. The Spirit’s the barber, and he’ll get everyone lined up right in the end. These lessons have transformed how I’ve gone about planting our church. You can’t plant a church without gentleness (okay, you can, but you certainly won’t lead it well). Gentleness is treating others in light of God’s kindness toward you. A gentle man knows that God has produced the good in him—against his best efforts. A gentle man knows he’s more sinful than others perceive. A gentle man understands the magnitude of God’s mercy given him in Christ. And this was Barry. Was he a messed-up sinner? You bet. But he knew it. And he reveled in the grace of God in Christ. Because of that, he was gentle. He’s gone now, but I’m praying that God would make me more like my late, gentle friend. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Religious Leaders Recall George H.W. Bush’s Priorities: Friendship, Faith, Family

As the nation learned of the death of former President George H.W. Bush, religious leaders from across the country reacted with statements recalling his leadership, his dedication to his family and his embrace of civility. Bush, a longtime Episcopalian, died Friday (Nov. 30) at the age of 94. Here is a sampling of the reaction: View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• Dr. James White and his friendship with Dr. Michael Brown

I am genuinely interested in how Dr. White's supporters (I am still one, despite the following entry) view this issue.    This is a topic of great frustration for me personally. I am saying upfront I am extremely grateful for Alpha and Omega Ministries. It has done so much to educate me and release me from last bondage of Roman Catholic Church. I trust  Dr. James White's teachings on Christian apologetics and have always admired his courtesy to all people he has debated and communicated with. He has the highest standards of both debating skills and politeness to his opponents that I am aware of in both his Youtube clips and websites.    That being said, as an extreme EX hyper-Charismatic I am extremely disappointed that he is endorsing Dr. Michael Brown's book on today's radio show. Dr. Brown has been proved by both polite Christian polemics experts AND other extreme bloggers to be extremely flexible with the truth, refusing to name nearly all the shameless charlatans via misuse of Matthew 18:15-18, Matthew 7:1-5 and ignoring the apostle Paul's example in Galatians 2:11-14, publically exposing apostle Peter when he was in serious error.    On Hillsongchurchwatch (now Churchwatchcentral****) Michael Brown's name started popping up as a supporter of Hillsong frequently, making excuses for their poor conduct and taking their excuses blindly. Hillsong was proven by secular newspapers to be doing what Michael Brown minimised and made loopholes for the undiscerning Christian/s. One example:  http://www.hallels.com/articles/15483/20160603/hillsong-church-criticized-over-the-appearance-of-the-naked-cowboy.htm  an exceptionally weak rebuke in response https://askdrbrown.org/library/when-hillsong-offends-naked-cowboy.   There are other less obvious ones, but together they make a pattern. In practice, Michael Brown puts Unity before Truth, Charismatics before Christians. On paper/ websites he appears orthodox. So I genuinely feel great disappointment that one of the Christian apologists whom I admire the most is choosing to ignore the warnings about Michael Brown because he keeps to the Nicene Creed + doctrines of Faith Only etc.   I wish some polemicists' words hadn't been so tactless and downright abusive. I understand why Dr White chooses to ignore those opponents' words on principle now. However right now I feel like I need to treat his words with almost as most caution as Dr. Piper's because this particular blind spot has become massive due to his long-term friendship with Dr. Brown.     ---- **** I know those are the ones which Dr Michael refuses to name. I used to contribute to comments (WITH EVIDENCE to answer the Hillsongees) "below the line" before they went "no comment" (some commenters became so abusive IMO the blog did the right thing). The reasons why names of contributors are not given is due to Australia's surprisingly strong censorship/ freedom to sue for offensive statements (whether true or not) compared to most western countries. It is not "gutlessness" as he claims. 

in Baptist

• Augustine on Friendship

In this episode of 5 Minutes in Church History, Dr. Stephen Nichols considers Augustine and his "theology of friendship."     More...

in Christian History

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.