The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Jim Hamilton on Typology in the Psalms

Jim Hamilton on Typology

I try to keep episodes of Help Me Teach the Bible less than 60 minutes, but this time I just couldn’t do it. There was simply too much you’ve-got-to-hear-this insight offered by Jim Hamilton, professor of biblical theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and preaching pastor at Kenwood Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky.

I had to begin our conversation with a short discussion on the book that brought him to my attention—The Glory of God in Salvation Through Judgment—as it was a paradigm-shifting book for me when I read it. The rest of our conversation deals with four aspects of the Psalms:

• typology in the Psalms;
  • use of earlier Scripture in the Psalms;
  • psalms quoted in the New Testament; and
  • the flow of thought in the psalms.

And, frankly, most of it was new to me. This is one of those episodes listeners may want to listen to more than once to catch all that Hamilton is presenting. Fans of the broadway musical Hamilton will appreciate the numerous ways Hamilton (no relation so far as he knows) draws upon the form and content of the musical to illustrate aspects of the Psalms.

You can listen to the episode here.

Recommended Resources:

HRw2Gu27jAc

View the full article