The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non-Nicene, non-Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Elda

Tattoos

Staff
What does God say about getting tattoos?

Here's a thread which already exists: https://www.christforums.org/forum/christian-community/morality-and-laws/21678-tattoos

I appreciate you asking "What does God say" about the subject matter.

Feel free to continue in this thread or the other one. I basically expressed my view in the other thread and didn't want to copy and past from there to here.

Lemme ask you, what are your views? Any presuppositions?

God bless,

William

Here's a thread which already exists: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c.../21678-tattoos

I appreciate you asking "What does God say" about the subject matter.

Feel free to continue in this thread or the other one. I basically expressed my view in the other thread and didn't want to copy and past from there to here.

Lemme ask you, what are your views? Any presuppositions?

God bless,

William

I read the thread you linked too... there's a variety of opinions expressed there.

I'm not sure about tattoos though. I don't have any but many of my friends and colleagues do. I've noticed that some tattoos are "tastefully done" (if that's even possible) while others border on the bizarre. Some people appear to enjoy the attention they receive from having "ink." Some of my friends have expressed regret now that they are out of school and seeking to advance their careers.

One thing is certain, there's a lot of peer pressure to become part of the "inked" crowd.

• Like 1

Staff
Some of my friends have expressed regret now that they are out of school and seeking to advance their careers.

I have one and regret it. As I expressed elsewhere it was done before my conversion. What I find fascinating is the varying responses by fellow Christians. Some would have me shunned until it is removed, while others suggest that Christ's atonement and propitiation are greater than any would be sinful tattoo. I tend to lean towards the latter. All I know is that it is my hopes that my tattoo will not exists on my future glorified body.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

The Scripture usually referred to on the subject of tattoos has to do with marking or cutting the body for the dead, an occult practice. People don't get tats for that reason today today though, it's just body art. But it is vanity, expensive vanity if done by a professional.

Then you have to consider what a tattoo says about you to other people, especially if it's a new tattoo.

Now of course everyone has a past, someone could have their face covered with tattoos from prison, but that's where the Lord delivered them from. Their tats are like a testimony.

The Scripture usually referred to on the subject of tattoos has to do with marking or cutting the body for the dead, an occult practice. People don't get tats for that reason today today though, it's just body art. But it is vanity, expensive vanity if done by a professional.

Then you have to consider what a tattoo says about you to other people, especially if it's a new tattoo.

Now of course everyone has a past, someone could have their face covered with tattoos from prison, but that's where the Lord delivered them from. Their tats are like a testimony.

Are tattoos pleasing to God? Can anyone explain how "fresh ink" on a "sinner saved" can glorify God?

Staff

A reoccurring theme in the Old Testament to Israel: Do not take upon yourself the ways of neighboring cultures.

What Leviticus 19 does not say is do not tattoo yourselves unless the culture of tomorrow finds it fashionable. I think rather than making images upon ourselves for "Christian reasoning" Matthew 23:5, "All their deeds are done for men to see.", we should, Deuteronomy 11:18, "“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes".

Leviticus 19 is consistent with an anti-cultural theme which runs throughout. For example, Arabs would shave off the hair around the temples and behind the ears, so as to leave the head bald except a dish-like tuft upon the crown, thus imparting to their heads the form of a hemisphere. The Gentiles in common cut their hair in honor of their gods, as the Arabians did, as Herodotus in the above place relates, in imitation of Bacchus, and to the honor of him; and so with others, it was usual for young men to consecrate their hair to idols; but inasmuch as such practices were used on account of the dead.

I think your whole basis for what you shared, "or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD" the first clause connects with the preceding clause "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead". What were some of the tattoos of the surrounding cultures? Romans would sometimes tear (tattoo) their cheeks. And then I ask, is Leviticus limited to only idols but not amulets? What are the reasons the culture and people of today do tattoo themselves? Do they act like amulets? What does the Lord say in Isaiah 2:6, "For you have rejected your people, the house of Jacob, because they are full of things from the east and of fortune-tellers like the Philistines, and they strike hands with the children of foreigners." This would address superstitious reasoning, and then Isaiah 3:18-20, "18 In that day the Lord will take away the finery of the anklets, the headbands, and the crescents; 19 the pendants, the bracelets, and the scarves; 20 the headdresses, the armlets, the sashes, the perfume boxes, and the amulets;" Whenever amulets, idols, and other magic charms are mentioned in the Bible, God’s attitude is against them and those who trust in them. Take for example, butterflies which are full of symbolism and meanings such as beauty, grace, and freedom, making women feel empowered whenever they wear a butterfly designed tattoo. What do these Scriptures suggest? I think they address a lot of the reasoning the culture today finds tattoos acceptable.

Just something to consider.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Are tattoos pleasing to God? Can anyone explain how "fresh ink" on a "sinner saved" can glorify God?

I don't know, but that's not the point I was making.

When I said to consider how a tattoo might make you look to other people I meant it in a negative way. Tattoos don't display humility or modesty. Then in the next paragraph I was saying that we shouldn't judge by tattoos if they're old, but if one has old tattoos all over and shows himself to be a Spirit filled Christian then those tattoos are like a picture of how Christ changed that person.

• Like 1

I'm not fond of tattooes I will admit, perhaps because it seems there is a degree of pride or vanity in the reasons many people get them. I've also known people who, thanks to thoughtless tattooes on their face or necks as teenagers, have effectively limited their careers and options for life which I can't think is something God wants.

My first thought to that was Medical Tattooes. There are medical procedures that require people to get tattoes for alignment, treatment, etc. including radiology and cancer treatment. Don't those tattooes show very much more that this is something God delivered the patient from, and suffering he stood with them as they went through?
  • Like 1

Staff
2 hours ago, Natalie said:

Hi all,

I want to get a cross tattoo on my wrist. Could you please help, whether I go for it or not?

Hi Natalie,

Your post was merged into this thread.

God bless,

William

Staff
2 hours ago, Natalie said:

Hi all,

I want to get a cross tattoo on my wrist. Could you please help, whether I go for it or not?

Why?

• Like 1

Setting aside the Biblical position (which people will debate), I offer only one thought on tattoos from a purely pragmatic perspective.  Visible tattoos make getting employment harder.

11 minutes ago, Becky said:

Why?

An excellent question.

Our son has an Air Conditioning & Heating Company that employs about 10 men and several office workers. He is constantly looking for qualified workers.. Finding men that are well qualified and able to do Technical Service work and Installers is almost impossible. Adding to that finding workers that will show up on time and on a regular basis, each and every day, is extremely difficult. Requiring men to be clean and presentable, with a clean new uniforme each day of the week (and he provides the uniformes) is expected and not all employees like this rule. He requires that all Tat's be able to be covered by a long sleeve shirt. Finding men without Tat's is getting hard to find. Often men applying for a Technician's job or Installer's job come in with Tat's on their face, neck, hands, which are not acceptable for him and his business. Then their a number of men applying for positions with records for robberies, theft, and sexual offences, dui's or dwi's all of which he can not hire because of his insurance will not cover these people with these crime records. Finding just laborers is very difficult, finding qualified men for his business is a constant problem. To keep the well qualified workers he has, he gives yearly bonuses, pay raises, and being the top in paying his workers. many of his workers have been with him a long time. 

If a person has Tat's it can limit the positions he can be considered for. Removing Tat's is painful, expensive, and leaves scars. The time to reconsider getting a Tat is BEFORE you get one. I personally believe its unwise to get a Tat, and  the Old Testament says not to.

• Like 2

My concern about tats and piercings is this . . . I believe both are a form of ritualism involving blood, and anything involving blood and ritualism is an opening to spiritual realms. "For the life is in the Blood" -- it is the Blood of Christ covering me that restores my soul to the Father's Love. Blood, Blood, Blood. Our Faith is the most intense Blood Based Faith of all time, Christ's Blood is a constant in all time and space -- the Life, His Blood Life covers me, and without it there is no redemption. And whether you agree or disagree, believe or not makes no difference. Folks absolutely Believed the earth was Flat for hundreds of years, the strength, power, conviction of a belief has nothing to do with its truth. So Anything involving blood ritualism has a supernatural power that is beyond our understanding, and tats and piercings involve blood ritualism whether you perceive ti that way or not -- and blood ritualism creates opportunity for negative spiritual forces to become associated with your life. So a True Believer should not get a tat, but the cross of Christ and Blood of Christ is sufficient for all sins, so if you have a tat, bring it to the Cross and ask the Lord to cleanse it and He will, and then move on knowing that the Father is able to do all we ask of Him.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:47 AM, Elda said:

What does God say about getting tattoos?

A tattoo is a way of identifying someone ,usually a slave. But I don't recall reading of them being used . A slave was usually identified by a ring inserted in the ear lobe with some kind of identifying insignia or number stamped  into it. But I haven't read anything pertaining to a tattoo . M

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Natalie said:

Hi all,

You can get it without having any religious restrictions .But keep in mind that once it is there it's there for keeps. Something that cannot be washed off with dish washing detergent . I personally think that tattoos look bad. I once saw a young lady in Walmart with a tattoo on back of her neck " Mike ". So what happens if Mike takes off and runs after his former love and drops the young lady in Walmart ?    M

1 hour ago, Matthew Duvall said:

I once saw a young lady in Walmart with a tattoo on back of her neck " Mike ". So what happens if Mike takes off and runs after his former love and drops the young lady in Walmart ?    M

1. Look for a new boyfriend, but his name has to be "Mike".

2. Erase the last half of the "M" so it will read "Nike".

:classic_wink:

------------------------------------

Good point though. Once that name is there, you are pretty much stuck with having it.

• Like 1

Staff
10 minutes ago, Faber said:

Don't do Nike.  That is the name of a Greek goddess. lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Faber said:

------------------------------------

Good point though. Once that name is there, you are pretty much stuck with having it.

Poor girl with the tattoo on the back of her neck .... "Mike" She may try looking for a new boy friend ,but what if she meets nothing but dopers ,drunks, former felons , husband abandoned by his wife, and you get the picture.

Staff
5 hours ago, Origen said:

Don't do Nike.  That is the name of a Greek goddess. lol

Personally, I'd rather just Mike if it was my own daughter rather than this message conveyed to every derelict she meets.

422401078_justdoit.png.51f8b36533ee8df52e3b7908375ea698.png

I recommend erasing the lower part of the other side of the M like others suggested and just leave Ni and get rid of the k and e.

If anyone asks, say you're a chemistry nerd and it is in the periodic table. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, William said:

Personally, I'd rather just Mike if it was my own daughter rather than this message conveyed to every derelict she meets.

422401078_justdoit.png.51f8b36533ee8df52e3b7908375ea698.png

I recommend erasing the lower part of the other side of the M like others suggested and just leave Ni and get rid of the k and e.

If anyone asks, say you're a chemistry nerd and it is in the periodic table. :classic_rolleyes:

She could also say that she belongs to a certain secret knighthood.

The OT prohibits tattoos.  I think in general it is best not to get any tattoos.  I don't think it is a major issue but I think it is an issue.