Jump to content

The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Innerfire89

Syntax in Greek?

Recommended Posts

Moderator

I was having a little chat with some preacher guy who's a countinualist, long story short, he said the syntax of the verse somehow meant that tounges would cease after Christ return. The of course was 1Corinthians 13:8.

That didn't make any sense to me.

 

Is there something about the way words are ordered in Greek sentinces that it would give that much more depth to the interpretation of the verse?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
49 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

I was having a little chat with some preacher guy who's a countinualist, long story short, he said the syntax of the verse somehow meant that tounges would cease after Christ return. The of course was 1Corinthians 13:8.

That didn't make any sense to me.

 

Is there something about the way words are ordered in Greek sentinces that it would give that much more depth to the interpretation of the verse?

 

 

@Origen, as to the question Innerfire asked concerning the specific Scripture this continualist gave would you address this? I'm willing to bet, though I don't know Greek, that he gave Innerfire a Red herring.

 

God bless,

William

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff

I would have to know specifically what he was referring to.  Word order in Greek is much more flexible than English and changes in normal word order can make a difference in emphasis.  However word order alone would not be enough to prove such a claim.  There would have to be more to it than just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
9 hours ago, Origen said:

I would have to know specifically what he was referring to.  Word order in Greek is much more flexible than English and changes in normal word order can make a difference in emphasis.  However word order alone would not be enough to prove such a claim.  There would have to be more to it than just that.

That wasn't much help. :classic_rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
9 hours ago, Origen said:

I would have to know specifically what he was referring to.  Word order in Greek is much more flexible than English and changes in normal word order can make a difference in emphasis.  However word order alone would not be enough to prove such a claim.  There would have to be more to it than just that.

He didn't say anything about how syntax proved his interpitation, he didn't really have much of an argument at all.

 

First he agreed that "perfect" can mean matured or complete, but then he quoted another verse where perfect means perfect and said it means the same in 1Corinthians 13:8. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
Just now, Innerfire89 said:

He didn't say anything about how syntax proved his interpitation, he didn't really have much of an argument at all.

 

First he agreed that "perfect" can mean matured or complete, but then he quoted another verse where perfect means perfect and said it means the same in 1Corinthians 13:8. Lol.

Do you feel as though in this moment you lost a few IQ points from repeating what he said?

 

Just curious. :classic_rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
10 minutes ago, William said:

That wasn't much help. :classic_rolleyes:

 

Sorry!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Staff
15 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

He didn't say anything about how syntax proved his interpitation, he didn't really have much of an argument at all.

 

First he agreed that "perfect" can mean matured or complete, but then he quoted another verse where perfect means perfect and said it means the same in 1Corinthians 13:8. Lol.

The whole debate rest upon two word, "τὸ τέλειον" (i.e. the perfect).  What is "the perfect"?  However one answers that question will determine whether or not tongues have ceased or will cease at some point in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
33 minutes ago, William said:

Do you feel as though in this moment you lost a few IQ points from repeating what he said?

 

Just curious. :classic_rolleyes:

I think he was doing everything he could to avoid the actual arguments against him.

 

This was actually a YouTube thing, I didn't expect the guy to make a whole video responding to my comment. 3 mins of the video where about my comment, then he went way off topic for another 10 mins. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
30 minutes ago, Origen said:

The whole debate rest upon two word, "τὸ τέλειον" (i.e. the perfect).  What is "the perfect"?  However one answers that question will determine whether or not tongues have ceased or will cease at some point in the future.

Yes, it's that simple, the was just guy reaching as far as he could to make the text bend towards his interpitation.

Edited by Innerfire89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...