The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
laverne3

New life in Christ, death to sin

As I am studying Romans I am focusing on salvation and how our continuation in sin both in thought and action affects it. As a new Christian I constantly struggle with sinful desires. I am definitely more knowledgeable about them and am aware of how much they control my life. Now, as I have been studying this topic I am getting a bit confused as to what we are supposed to do with our sin. I frequently read that we are saved through faith alone and that faith must be a saving faith (meaning it must show some form of change in our hearts). But isn’t this the same thing as saying that we are saved through faith plus our good works because faith without the good works is not a saving faith and therefore doesn’t save us... 

what about sinful desires and actions? What must Christians do in regards to these very prominent things? I keep reading in the Bible that when we are turn to Christ we die to sin and have new life in Christ. 

I definitely don’t feel like I’ve died to sin.... I have sinful desires all the time. But that isn’t to say that I don’t know sin. I definitely am more aware of sin. And if I sin I recognize it and repent. So this begs the question, when the Bible says that we die to sin and that we are no longer enslaved to it does it really mean that we are more aware of it? Does it mean that we are more willing to do what God wants rather than what sin wants us to do? 

Finally all this brings me back to the beginning question: 

Are we saved through faith alone or through faith and works? Are we called to stop sinning all together or are we called just to have faith in Christ and if we keep sinning that is okay.

Whenever sin comes across my mind I think oh I shouldn’t do that and I try to refrain.

But after a bit I’ll give in and my first thought is: “well I am saved through faith alone and if I give in its because I am still in my flesh and I can’t do anything about it. Besides it’s not about what I do.... “

I know this might sound dark but I am just trying to understand all of this. I truly would like to just stop sinning but sometimes it just doesn’t happen and the whole thought of salvation not being based on works just tips me over to the dark side...

Staff

We start the dying process when we are born. We dont all live to the same age nor do we age at the same speed.  When we are "born again" we start dying to sin. We wont die to the same sins  at the same speed as another person. A self example: For me smoking was a sin God stopped that over night. June 17 1971.  He and i are still working on gossip :classic_sad:

I am saved by His Grace not on my own. As far as 'my sins' i want to what He wants me to be. He is our creator I wish to be the vessel He is pleased to use.