The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Aramaic and Hebrew: similarities and differences?

How much is Aramaic and Hebrew similar and how much are they different? Perhaps Origen is best to answer this but anyone can reply if they happen to know.

Staff
2 hours ago, Faber said:

How much is Aramaic and Hebrew similar and how much are they different? Perhaps Origen is best to answer this but anyone can reply if they happen to know.

Something like that is difficult to quantify.  To use an analogy I would say they are first cousins not siblings.  They share the same alphabet and to a large extent the same vocabulary.  However, knowing Hebrew does not mean one knows Aramaic or vice versa.

Take for example the article.

In Hebrew the definite article is the letter ה (he).

In Aramaic the definite article is the letter א (aleph).

They do not use the same letter for the definite article, but that is far from the only difference.

In Hebrew the definite article (i.e. the letter ה) is attached the beginning of the word (i.e. הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם = the heaven).

In Aramaic the definite article (i.e. the letter א) is attached the end of the word (i.e. שְׁמַיָּ֔א = the heaven).

I hope this helps.  There is a great deal more I could point out but this example of the article clearly shows the two languages have many differences.

Why are you interested may I ask?

• Like 1

If you were fluent or close to being fluent in one of the languages how difficult would it be to (a) understand the other - and - (b) learn the other?

Staff
2 hours ago, Faber said:

If you were fluent or close to being fluent in one of the languages how difficult would it be to (a) understand the other - and - (b) learn the other?

To understand, you wouldn't.  Maybe you could make some sense out of it but if you did not have a knowledge of the grammar there are many things you just would not know.  There are just too many differences.  No doubt you would be able to recognize a great deal of the vocabulary but that is about it.

To learn, yes it would be easier.  You would already have a feel for understanding Semitic languages, you know the alphabet, and know much of the vocabulary.

• Like 1