The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
daverichards

kabalistic question

Hello,

This might be an unusual question but I need your help. We are selecting a company name – one of the best variants has the AGLA words at the start of the brand name. I know

Atah gibor l’olam, Adonai (first letters make up AGLA) is a part of the Amidah.

At first I was glad that such words would make up a brand but later I stared reading on AGLA combination itself and found that it was extensively used in magic:

Agla: A kabalistic word used by the rabbis for the exorcisms of the evil spirit. It is made up of the initial letters of the Hebrew words, Athah gabor leolam, Ado-nai, meaning, " Thou art powerful and eternal, Lord." Not only among the Jews was this word employed, but among the more superstitious Christians it was a favourite weapon with which to combat the evil one, even so late as the sixteenth century. It is also to be found in many books on magic, notably in the Enchiridion of Pope Leo III.Bron: encyclopaedia of ancient and forbidden secrets (blz. 2)

Agla. One of the Kabbalistic names of God,which is composed of the initials of the words of the following sentence :Atah Gibor Lolam Adonai, "thou art mighty forever,  Lord ." This name the Kabbalists arranged seven times in the center and at the intersecting points of two interlacing triangles, which figure they called the

Shield of David, and used as a talisman, believing that it would Cure wounds, extinguish fires, and perform other wonders. (See Shield of David.)

NOW – DOES USING ALGA COULD MEAN THAT I AM SOMEHOW USING IT IN THE ABOVE SENSE – WHICH I AM NOT – BUT I FEAR THIS COULD BE INTERPRETED THIS WAY ABOVE.

Is kabalistic acronym OK with the traditional Christian teachings? I know Bible prohibits spells of any kind but can this be used as a word free from such connotations?

Please let me know what you think,

Dave

Edited by daverichards

I once bought a pair of boots that had the name "Brahman" (the supreme god of Hinduism) on them. I am not into name brands so when I bought them I didn't even notice it. I couldn't remove the word so I I refused to wear the boots. This was about 20 years ago.

Yes it can (cf. Exodus 23:13), but at the same time the mentioning of its name may be necessary (1 Kings 18:21). 

YES BUT I WAS FIRT DRWAN TO THIS WORD BECAUSE IT IS A ABBREVIATION OF

Atah Gibor Le-olam Adonai,"You, O Lord, are mighty forever."

It is said daily in the second blessing of the Amidah, the central Jewish prayer. Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers has suggested an arbitrary interpretation of AGLA (אגלא‬) as "A the one first, A the one last, G, the trinity in unity, L, the completion of the Great Work."[1] According to The Triangular Book of the Count of St Germain God by the name of AGLA was responsible for the preservation of Lot and his family from the fire of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Now I am confused

7 hours ago, daverichards said:

BUT I FEAR THIS COULD BE INTERPRETED THIS WAY ABOVE.

Then I wouldn't choose it as a company name if you express "fear" about it, for whatever is not from faith is sin (Romans 14:23). With all the other possible names that could be used it doesn't seem like a problem to me in simply choosing another one.

Staff
On 7/27/2018 at 7:43 AM, daverichards said:

Hello,

This might be an unusual question but I need your help. We are selecting a company name – one of the best variants has the AGLA words at the start of the brand name. I know

At first I was glad that such words would make up a brand but later I stared reading on AGLA combination itself and found that it was extensively used in magic:

Agla: A kabalistic word used by the rabbis for the exorcisms of the evil spirit. It is made up of the initial letters of the Hebrew words, Athah gabor leolam, Ado-nai, meaning, " Thou art powerful and eternal, Lord." Not only among the Jews was this word employed, but among the more superstitious Christians it was a favourite weapon with which to combat the evil one, even so late as the sixteenth century. It is also to be found in many books on magic, notably in the Enchiridion of Pope Leo III.Bron: encyclopaedia of ancient and forbidden secrets (blz. 2)

Agla. One of the Kabbalistic names of God,which is composed of the initials of the words of the following sentence :Atah Gibor Lolam Adonai, "thou art mighty forever,  Lord ." This name the Kabbalists arranged seven times in the center and at the intersecting points of two interlacing triangles, which figure they called the

Shield of David, and used as a talisman, believing that it would Cure wounds, extinguish fires, and perform other wonders. (See Shield of David.)

NOW – DOES USING ALGA COULD MEAN THAT I AM SOMEHOW USING IT IN THE ABOVE SENSE – WHICH I AM NOT – BUT I FEAR THIS COULD BE INTERPRETED THIS WAY ABOVE.

Is kabalistic acronym OK with the traditional Christian teachings? I know Bible prohibits spells of any kind but can this be used as a word free from such connotations?

Dave

Personally things like that don't bother me.  The fact is our language and culture are inundated with certain pagan words\aspects that are beyond our control and most people just don't know.  For example the days of the week, the names of certain months, the names of the planets, and numerous English words.  For example our word for "ocean" comes from the name of the titian Oceanus.  The fact is it is unavoidable.

This is even true in the N.T.  The Greek God named Hades is used as the name of the underworld.  The N.T. Greek word for heaven is "ouranos" which is the name of the god Uranus.

I doubt if there is a day of the week, month or year, an object or animal, an idea or concept, that has not be associated with some pagan god somewhere at some time in history (given the fact there are literally thousands of pagan gods).

• Like 1

Most Bible Colleges and Seminaries teach a course of Biblical Hermenuetics, which is basically the theory and methodology of interpreting scriptural text. According to the Wikipedia quote below, the origin of the word "hermeneutics" is from mythology, but ironically in light of who Hermes was in a pagan context, this amazingly has not prevented it being used in a Christian context.

Folk etymology

Hermes, messenger of the gods.

Folk etymology places its origin with Hermes, the mythological Greek deity who was the 'messenger of the gods'.[13] Besides being a mediator between the gods and between the gods and men, he led souls to the underworld upon death.

Hermes was also considered to be the inventor of language and speech, an interpreter, a liar, a thief and a trickster.[13] These multiple roles made Hermes an ideal representative figure for hermeneutics. As Socrates noted, words have the power to reveal or conceal and can deliver messages in an ambiguous way.[13] The Greek view of language as consisting of signs that could lead to truth or to falsehood was the essence of Hermes, who was said to relish the uneasiness of those who received the messages he delivered.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Placable37 said:

Most Bible Colleges and Seminaries teach a course of Biblical Hermenuetics, which is basically the theory and methodology of interpreting scriptural text. According to the Wikipedia quote below, the origin of the word "hermeneutics" is from mythology, but ironically in light of who Hermes was in a pagan context, this amazingly has not prevented it being used in a Christian context.

Yes - thnak  you- I am awar that there a lot fo pagan words around - here this word is used in magic spells!! can this be dangerous?

Staff
On 7/27/2018 at 9:34 PM, Placable37 said:

Good point!  The prime examples come form language.  As I point outed it happens with English and Greek but It also happens in Hebrew.  One word for "god" in the O.T. is "el" (i.e. אֵל). El is the name of a Canaanite deity.  The Hebrew root for the word Sun (i.e. שֶׁמֶשׁ) comes from the name of the Sun god Shamash.  Neither example stopped the O.T. Testament authors from using those terms.

I don't believe a person can accidentally, unintentionally, unknowingly worship a deity.  Simply because some pagan, at some time, for different reasons, does something that does not require me to accept what they believed or though.

23 hours ago, Origen said:

Good point!  Language is the prim example.  As I point outed it happens with English and Greek but It also happens in Hebrew.  One word for "god" in the O.T. is "el" (i.e. אֵל). El is the name of a Canaanite deity.  The Hebrew root for the word Sun (i.e. שֶׁמֶשׁ) comes from the name of the Sun god Shamash.  Neither example stopped the O.T. Testament authors from using those terms.

I don't believe a person can accidentally, unintentionally, unknowingly worship a deity.  Simply because some pagan, at some time, for different reasons, does something that does not require me to accept what they believed or though.

yes it makes senese - not wure why I htought this woudl be worshiping in the original sense...on the ther hand AGLA is used by the contemporary magicians....and old ones - used on amulets and such.....so the doubpt continues...

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, daverichards said:

Yes - thnak  you- I am awar that there a lot fo pagan words around - here this word is used in magic spells!! can this be dangerous?

You can't go wrong if you implement these verses.

1Th 5:21-22
(21)  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22)  Abstain from all appearance of evil.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:43 AM, daverichards said:

Hello,

Dave

The Kaballah is the Jewish book of Occultic, Esoteric, and a favorite of Occultic Freemasons Manly P. Hall, Albert Pike, Mackey, Coil, etc.

There is no secret, esoteric, teachings outside of the Holy Scriptures, a lie of Satan.

"Yeah Hath God Said"!

Edited by Truth7t7

1 hour ago, daverichards said:

thank you - but what is the appearance of evil.?? can you help me understand?

By way of analogy, a comparison would be if you needed a clean shirt to wear but you weren't sure if a particular shirt was freshly laundered or had been worn, so in order to be sure you went out with a clean shirt you chose another one that you were absolutely sure and positively knew was clean.

Hence the personal care motto "If it's doubtful, it's dirty." 

Edited by Placable37
sentence
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, Origen said:

Personally things like that don't bother me.  The fact is our language and culture are inundated with certain pagan words\aspects that are beyond our control and most people just don't know.  For example the days of the week, the names of certain months, the names of the planets, and numerous English words.  For example our word for "ocean" comes from the name of the titian Oceanus.  The fact is it is unavailable.

This is even true in the N.T.  The Greek God named Hades is used as the name of the underworld.  The N.T. Greek word for heaven is "ouranos" which is the name of the god Uranus.

I doubt if there is a day of the week, month or year, an object or animal, an idea or concept, that has not be associated with some pagan god somewhere at some time in history (given the fact there are literally thousands of pagan gods).

I agree

Our very Roman Gregorian solar calendar is built around this, January 1st being in honor to the Roman God "Janus" to mention one.

Edited by Truth7t7
  • Best Answer 1

1 hour ago, Truth7t7 said:

The Kaballah is the Jewish book of Occultic, Esoteric, and a favorite of Occultic Freemasons Manly P. Hall, Albert Pike, Mackey, Coil, etc.

There is no secret, esoteric, teachings outside of the Holy Scriptures, a lie of Satan.

"Yeah Hath God Said"!

yes but there is a very strange feelign that all the ALTERNATIVES just does not sound strong enough....I jhave tried 20000 variants already...

57 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

By way of analogy, a comparison would be if you needed a clean shirt to wear but you weren't sure if a particular shirt was freshly laundered or had been worn, so in order to be sure you went out with a clean shirt you chose another one that you were absolutely sure and positively knew was clean.

thank you!

27 minutes ago, daverichards said:

yes but there is a very strange feelign that all the ALTERNATIVES just does not sound strong enough....I jhave tried 20000 variants already...

I doubt you have had a true Holy Ghost experience with Jesus Christ?

You have to become as a child in need?

Drop man's knowledge, put on heart knowledge.

"Faith" 

Hebrews 11:6KJV

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Acts 3:19KJV

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 4:12KJV

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Romans 10:13KJV

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Edited by Truth7t7

2 hours ago, Placable37 said:

intersting

Edited by daverichards
mistake

54 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

I doubt you have had a true Holy Ghost experience with Jesus Christ?

You have to become as a child in need?

Drop man's knowledge, put on heart knowledge.

"Faith" 

Hebrews 11:6KJV

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Acts 3:19KJV

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 4:12KJV

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Romans 10:13KJV

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

not sure why you think you can doubt my relationship with God

3 minutes ago, daverichards said:

not sure why you think you can doubt my relationship with God

You explain you relationship with God very clear in your QUOTE below?

Quote daverichards: "yes but there is a very strange feelign that all the ALTERNATIVES just does not sound strong enough....I jhave tried 20000 variants already..."