The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Submission1

Greetings, newbie on this forum

Good morning brothers and sisters,

I hope all is well in this little community!  I am a bit saddened because of recently spending almost 3 months on another Christian site.  I know one needs some pretty thick skin to take some of the barbs I did from the Catholics---and that was an issue I avoided for the most part.  I loved that board and many on it became my friends.  I think it's time for a break.  I will not leave them altogether but, for now just need to stay away and see what some other brothers and sisters are all about!

I have been following Jesus Christ probably since a small child as I would always wonder about our origin, even at that age-used to really wonder as most children probably do-'where did God come from"  "Who made God though"?   I was raised Catholic until I was around 12 <--- my grandmother was not happy about that!  When I went to my moms new Church-1st time setting foot in a non-catholic Church building...even though I am not Lutheran and there were some Catholicy things there-I just loved it!  Went for a bit through my teens...left it to go out and just plain sin, bars, drinking, dancing, smoking...but...HE never stopped drawing me, fast forward to 1992-a friend and I went to an Assembly s of God service one day and stayed there for about 5-6 years, there was a split there all over a man and a woman who joined the Church-they ousted our pastor, more left than not.  I was one who left, as well as my good friend....so, we flailed around for a bit being un-Churched for a couple years.  I live in an area that is lousy with RC Churches and I knew that was no longer for me.  So, being without a local body, I had a handful of friends who were Christian, TG!- we were kind of like getting blown this way and that with all of our "gee, wonder what this or that means" kind of thing-we had no direction, we did not under how the Holy Spirit works through us, we didn't understand ANYTHING!  Lol..Okay, this is becoming a Tomb  Sorry.  Bottom line. last 3 years I have found a wonder Baptist Church just down the street from me and have been a member since last year.   I Do not agree with every single thing my wonderful pastor believes,  he knows our differences, but he speaks Gods word and does a fine job, he never misses giving the true gospel so...any doctrine that has nothing to do with Christ and His gospel, for me, I will not argue with anyone about...causes strife-IMHO.  Too easy to get feathers ruffled.

Peace and Grace to you all.

Submission one

• Like 4

Staff

Hello and welcome S1

Staff

Welcome. Sure hope you enjoy your time here. 

• Like 1

Staff

Wondering what your likes are and where you're from. Only to the amount you feel comfortable talking about. I am in northern California.  Totally like being retired. I have found out wives moms and grandma are never retired. 

• Like 1

Lol....yes, moms are like the energizer bunny!  I'm from Buffalo, Ny so...you and I are from one end to the other...but, hopefully ONE in Christ.  I am 60 yes old and after 43 years of working, I had to stop 3 years ago. I HATED it...was so lost!  Ya go 100 MPG for decades and suddenly come to a dead stop...wanted to go to 67 and even further but...2 accidents in the 80s  has finally taken it's toll...6 surgeries and 2 more to go!  Not one to sit still, at all...I do not even watch TV!  lol  I have no children of my own for several reasons and not yet comfortable about disclosing those reasons...although I do have 17 nieces and nephews and a few greats.  I am attending a Baptist Church, I love my local body very much!  Even though, the Pastor and I disagree on a few things, it makes not a single difference to me as long as He preaches the main tenets of Christianity, and he does.  I am blessed.

I know I have to work my way back to my profile so I can put a few more things in there...thank you Becky for your kind greeting ♥

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Becky said:

Wondering what your likes are and where you're from. Only to the amount you feel comfortable talking about. I am in northern California.  Totally like being retired. I have found out wives moms and grandma are never retired. 

So true sister.

• Like 1

Welcome S 1. I see you have made 16 posts in your first day, so you have the feel of things now. Enjoy your self and hopefully you will grow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, H03 said:

So true sister.

Hmm, my likes are soaking up scripture, reading, and reading some more, lol  I don't do TV...haven't for decades-it bores me to tears and ya can't even watch things like Family Feud anymore as there is some pretty openly sexual stuff on even that now...I do have Pureflix and watch a movie now and then on it.   I have Pandora on most of the time, playing my favorite Christian artists all day long.  I have 3 mini schnauzers that bring me much joy.  So much more, of course, lol...eventually I am sure my story will come out.  Thank you for the welcome and interest!  

Peace and Grace to you and yours!

-nancy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Submission1 said:

Hmm, my likes are soaking up scripture, reading, and reading some more, lol  I don't do TV...haven't for decades-it bores me to tears and ya can't even watch things like Family Feud anymore as there is some pretty openly sexual stuff on even that now...I do have Pureflix and watch a movie now and then on it.   I have Pandora on most of the time, playing my favorite Christian artists all day long.  I have 3 mini schnauzers that bring me much joy.  So much more, of course, lol...eventually I am sure my story will come out.  Thank you for the welcome and interest!  

Peace and Grace to you and yours!

-nancy

Hi, and welcome aboard.....You can structure your television viewing channels to programs that aren't as silly or offensive like the ones you just named. TRASH !!! That's what I call them . I personally like the [conservative]  news channels and anything having to do with history and current events especially the news coming out of Washington. I despise any of these so called "Christian Channels " because of their ungodly ,unscriptual , unbiblical asinine "theology ." I find these extremely offensive to my conservative Christian faith. And the only reason I even have a television is that I live in the deep southern part of Louisiana that is extremely prone to foul weather . Especially hurricanes . It is hurricane season now ,so I keep a careful watch on the weather channels and want to know when to board-up ,take all the air borne devices indoors , shut off the electricity and high tail it out of here. Then there is the traffic to contend with . You will never know what a traffic jamb is like until you are on I-10 fleeing a hurricane .

Sorry to hear of your accident and the time consumed in receiving medical attention. It's sad to live your life with intentions of retiring some day ,only to have it all interrupted by such a deal of fate.... So, again, welcome aboard,,   M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Duvall said:

Hi, and welcome aboard.....You can structure your television viewing channels to programs that aren't as silly or offensive like the ones you just named. TRASH !!! That's what I call them . I personally like the [conservative]  news channels and anything having to do with history and current events especially the news coming out of Washington. I despise any of these so called "Christian Channels " because of their ungodly ,unscriptual , unbiblical asinine "theology ." I find these extremely offensive to my conservative Christian faith. And the only reason I even have a television is that I live in the deep southern part of Louisiana that is extremely prone to foul weather . Especially hurricanes . It is hurricane season now ,so I keep a careful watch on the weather channels and want to know when to board-up ,take all the air borne devices indoors , shut off the electricity and high tail it out of here. Then there is the traffic to contend with . You will never know what a traffic jamb is like until you are on I-10 fleeing a hurricane .

Sorry to hear of your accident and the time consumed in receiving medical attention. It's sad to live your life with intentions of retiring some day ,only to have it all interrupted by such a deal of fate.... So, again, welcome aboard,,   M

Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much for the invite!  Yikes, hurricanes-no thanks!  Good thing you are a person of preparedness.  I must say, It is not only the wretched stuff on the air but, I would much rather read, study or be out of the house, or of course, have company 🙂   I went through too many years of very, very passionate and involved politics...I am so over the cares of this world I could just spit!  Lol.  I will always continue to pray for our leaders as God let's nobody in our Govt. with out His stamp of approval, for whatever reasons He has.  I am not altogether ignorant of what is happening , especially the Middle East, there are articles I receive through email, Reuters, BBC, sometimes AP.  I used to sit for hours just watching CSPAN!  Such a waste, in all due respect!

I have never been on the I-10 that I can remember...not a fan of traffic jams, test of patience or what?  Hahaha!  I am guessing there is allot of humidity where you are-humidity=bad hair day...ick, lol!   We do get a good amount of snow but probably like you, I'm used to it.  What doesn't kill us...."  Thank you for your concern, God has been so awesome to me and I have not a thing to complain about ♥

I will see you around this hood!

Many blessings!

-nancy

• Like 1