The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

Do you read the Bible? do you have a plan that works for you?

God's Mercy is such that it looks for any excuse to flow out to the hardest of sinners, and that excuse might be even just a thought or distracted prayer on our part for them.

When we get a small exposure to Jesus love, we understand how cold, rotten, ungenerous, uncaring and poor we are. We don't have a clue what mercy and love is, we must have a new definition and conception of it, one that is far more expanded and generous.

I realised this one time and it was like my heart was too small to receive what was being poured into it, I didn't have the capacity. I asked Jesus to expand it, to create a new heart in me. I had to appropriate His Heart and hand Him mine, before I could receive what He wanted to give. We are poor because we have limited capacity for His kind of blessings.

We don't understand the power we have over God by our prayer, especially when it comes to asking for mercy on others. His mercy loves to be invoked, it soothes His vicious wounds that paid for it.

Package your supplications in prayers for Mercy on others,  invoke His Holy Wounds.

Jesus Mercy is perennial in its appeal, all it needs is for us to second it by our prayer. Prayer is powerful because it is entirely voluntary. If it is used with humility and faith it  will help many by unleashing God's power.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, Just Mike said:

Over the many years I have been asked what is the best way to read the Bible? There are many Bible reading plans to help Christians to read the Bible on a orderly consistant way.

Would you be willing to share how you read the Bible and how it works for you?

I have a daily reading plan that gets me through the Bible entirely in one calendar year.  Easy.  A bit of OT, NT, Psalms/Proverbs every day.  Takes me less than 10 minutes to read the passages for the day and if I want to get out the Strong's concordance and dig in the passages a bit more, I can do that too.  It took me about two weeks to make it habitual to do my daily readings, but once it was habit, the rest was very easy.

• Like 1

Hey Just Mike, thanks for the question. I realize it's from a few months back but I'm going to answer it anyway. I am currently reading through a chronological plan that I should be done with in a month or two and It's been really helpful. I would highly recommend trying it at least once in your life. I wouldn't recommend reading your Bible like this all the time, because you lose some of the literary flow of the individual books, but it's been great reading Biblical accounts of events grouped together. It's helped me pick up on details that I've overlooked before. I've tried the OT/NT/Psalms schedules and the Professor Grant Horton Bible reading system (basically reading one chapter from ten books per day). I've tried reading the Old Testament in the jewish order which I did like, but I think I prefer to just read it through from Genesis to Revelation the best. There's something I like about reading straight through the Old Testament as the anticipation builds until you finally reach the New Testament, Hallelujah! But that's just me.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan. I amazed at how many Christians seldom read their Bible. I feel like something is wrong when I miss reading the Bible a couple of times a day. I found it takes being as hungry for the Word as it is for our three meals a day. Developing a set Bible reading time is best.

Again Thanks Dan and God bless.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:19 PM, Matto said:

I know many Protestants distrust the Rosary, but I can tell you that it brings a soul closer to Jesus than mostly anything, apart from the Eucharist which is Jesus Himself. The Rosary is praying the Scripture.

Praying repetitive prayers, like using the Rosary, was forbidden by Jesus.  See Matthew 6:7, "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

Edited by CDF47