The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

Do you read the Bible? do you have a plan that works for you?

Over the many years I have been asked what is the best way to read the Bible? There are many Bible reading plans to help Christians to read the Bible on a orderly consistant way.

Would you be willing to share how you read the Bible and how it works for you?

Hi Just Mike, For the first 17 years of my life at home in a family of 6 children and 2 parents, every night after meals the Bible was read and prayers said according to a family oriented schedule. As well we each had to follow a personal schedule of daily Bible readings and devotions from BRF notes. (Bible Reading Fellowship).  As a result I make a point of avoiding scheduled readings, devotions, and prayers, except when I have Christian radio on during their time slot. (eg. Bob Gass)

I have a 34 year old "breakfast Bible" open on the dining table at all times and often write my gleanings in a notebook which I later refer to during gatherings. Also I spend hours most days using technology to study the Word and words about the Word simply as the Spirit leads. I maintain Bible study should not be a drudge or a ritual, but a joy and a habit.

• Like 2

Thanks PLACABLE! Very interesting about how your parents have started you reading the Bible. Start kids early enjoying the Bible and this sure helps as adults.

The Roman Missal has all the scriptural readings for Mass each day, and the scripture is part of everyday prayer. Over 3 years the entire Bible read and prayed in everyday worship.

Added to this is the Divine Office which is the scriptural prayer regime of all the Church in the world. The same daily Scripture is prayed and contemplated by the church each day, not just reserved to the clergy.

So just in ordinary everyday worship we get two and a half hours of scriptural prayer and contemplation before personal prayer time. 

Some other reading is from the homilies of the Church fathers on scripture, but there's only so much time in the day for ordinary people.

The Rosary is the other way we pray scripture, meditation on Jesus Life.

Staff
1 hour ago, Matto said:

The Rosary is the other way we pray scripture, meditation on Jesus Life.

Wow that is not how my brother views the rosary . He will tell me he is asking Mary to be an intercessor.   

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 1:57 AM, Becky said:

Wow that is not how my brother views the rosary . He will tell me he is asking Mary to be an intercessor.   

The Rosary makes me think of Jesus all day. And Jesus is the most important Person  we can think about. But it goes beyond thinking to the point of knowing and grace takes over, time and space mean nothing, Jesus is our home.

I know many Protestants distrust the Rosary, but I can tell you that it brings a soul closer to Jesus than mostly anything, apart from the Eucharist which is Jesus Himself. The Rosary is praying the Scripture.

Staff

How is this Scripture ?

Step 7: In the space after the 10th bead, pray the Glory Be and the Fatima Prayer (a prayer Mary revealed to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal, in 1917).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becky said:

How is this Scripture ?

Step 7: In the space after the 10th bead, pray the Glory Be and the Fatima Prayer (a prayer Mary revealed to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal, in 1917).

Becky, I don't understand what objection Christians could have against that.

Staff

2 hours ago, Matto said:

I know many Protestants distrust the Rosary, but I can tell you that it brings a soul closer to Jesus than mostly anything, apart from the Eucharist which is Jesus Himself. The Rosary is praying the Scripture.

You said the Roeary is praying Scripture . The question was how is this Scripture?

• Best Answer 1

Staff
Just now, Becky said:

You said the Roeary is praying Scripture . The question was how is this Scripture?

Excellent point.  The issue and\or question was not why is it objectionable to Christians.

The bible app I use (on my iPad) keeps track of my progress each day (read the Bible in a year).  I follow along as the narrator reads.  I also have a separate devotional (same app) each day.  It's not a Bible study as it's just a daily reading.  But it keeps me in the Bible everyday.  From there I branch out in studies and Bible study groups.  

I highly recommend the app approach if you're like me and need to be reminded each day to read (I now do this very first thing and finally the routine has taken hold!)

• Like 2

I read it from beginning to the end.  Its not that long.  I mark and note subjects I wish more info on.  When done, I explore the subjects and then the history of each book.  I would suggest everyone get a JPS Tanakh for the OT.  It is much clearer, translated less and contains the basis of our faith as understood for 3000 years before Christ.  Then read the NT thru that lens.  Makes Christ a lot clearer in his message.  Christ quotes all he says from Tanakh, Talmud and even Hillel(leader of the pharasicees at his time).  Then look at the early church and what they did as worship.  Look at the authors of the NT, many unknown and much later and not Apostles.  Think critically, always.  I don't ever considered myself done reading it.  Every time I do, something new is revealed.  Do as God commanded, "pray for wisdom , first, for it will bring you knowledge which will be like a tree of life to you"  and having done those things, "blessings upon blessings will be given to you until you have no place to store them."  "Draw nigh to Me and I will draw you nigh unto me"

7 hours ago, Becky said:

It is scriptural to pray for mercy and for souls to be saved, mercy is Jesus whole mission.

Staff

Matto  this is my personal opinion, not speaking as staff. This quote eroded your  credibility .

3 minutes ago, Matto said:

It is scriptural to pray for mercy and for souls to be saved, mercy is Jesus whole mission.

2 minutes ago, Becky said:

Matto  this is my personal opinion, not speaking as staff. This quote eroded your  credibility .

You were referring to the Fatima prayer weren't you?

" Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, bring souls to Heaven, especially those who most need thy mercy"

Or you mean the Glory be prayer?

Staff

No I was referring to this fact: 

How is something supposedly said to kids in 1917 Scripture .. That you believe this shows me how little you and your church respect the Scriptures 

No reason to keep repeating my self you have your view i have mine. 

2 minutes ago, Becky said:

No I was referring to this fact: 

How is something supposedly said to kids in 1917 Scripture .. That you believe this shows me how little you and your church respect the Scriptures 

No reason to keep repeating my self you have your view i have mine. 

There are many prayers that aren't literal scripture, but are scriptural to pray as a directive of scripture.

The Fatima prayer is a collective prayer to Jesus for Mercy, forgiveness and to save sinners.

Mary showed the children at Fatima all the souls falling into hell, because " They had no one to pray for them ". This prayer was taught to them so that many would be saved by prayer to Jesus.

Blessed are the merciful for they will have mercy. This prayer calls out for mercy, it is showing mercy to call down mercy, it is living the scripture in the truest sense. It is at the heart of the Gospel.

In praying the Fatima prayer as collective it is adjunct to another collective prayer of scripture " forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us ". We ask mercy for ourselves in the Lord's Prayer but in the same breath we ask mercy for others.

Staff
9 hours ago, Matto said:

There are many prayers that aren't literal scripture, but are scriptural to pray as a directive of scripture.

The Fatima prayer is a collective prayer to Jesus for Mercy, forgiveness and to save sinners.

Mary showed the children at Fatima all the souls falling into hell, because " They had no one to pray for them ". This prayer was taught to them so that many would be saved by prayer to Jesus.

Blessed are the merciful for they will have mercy. This prayer calls out for mercy, it is showing mercy to call down mercy, it is living the scripture in the truest sense. It is at the heart of the Gospel.

9 hours ago, Matto said:

In praying the Fatima prayer as collective it is adjunct to another collective prayer of scripture " forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us ". We ask mercy for ourselves in the Lord's Prayer but in the same breath we ask mercy for others.

It really does not matter.  Since protestants reject the veneration of Mary, Fatima is rejected and carries no weight whatsoever.

Now let's get back on topic.  Do you read the Bible? Do you have a plan that works for you?

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Just Mike said:

Over the many years I have been asked what is the best way to read the Bible? There are many Bible reading plans to help Christians to read the Bible on a orderly consistant way.

Would you be willing to share how you read the Bible and how it works for you?

Hi Just Mike ,

Bible reading is essential if we treasure  ever going to have   fellowship with our Lord . The key to reading ,understanding and applying any Biblical subjects  rest entirely with the instructions, aid and assistance of the Holy Spirit . We are told in Romans 8: 26 ,27 " Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities ; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought ; but the Spirit itself maketh interecession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered . v.27

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Becky said:

Yes, daily bible reading is a must for anyone in the Christian faith . My bible reading is more advantageous to me just before I turn in for the night . The Holy Spirit directs me to certain passages that are somewhat challenging at first, but with the aid of my bible study material I always get the answers correctly . Sometimes a passage can be difficult when reading it at first . Last night I came across a passage that had me digging for a time before I finally received the correct answer . I end my study with a ten page prayer request to the Lord . I keep adding to it on almost a daily basis when new ideas for prayer come into my mind . And the way things are these days subjects needing prayer are never a shortage or lacking the intervention of Our God and Lord Jesus Christ .     M

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Matto said:

Why do you feel that it is necessary to " ask mercy for others ?" I cannot express the number of times I hear of people praying and God ignoring them for various reasons. The pattern for prayer is not difficult. Simply stated :

A C T S = A, meaning Admiration for God in all that He does . Creation and the miracle of salvation come to my mind . C= Confession of sins. We read ,Isa . 59;2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God and your sins have hid his face from you ,that he will not hear..." Confession of deliberate and known sins are a must if we are to be heard by God. 1st.Jn. 1:9.....   T= Thanksgiving . We are to give thanks to God for all things He brings into our lives. Good and bad because they all have a purpose in God's Providence . S= Supplication . Praying for the [T] rue Church and all Christians with needs in general .

So by-passing Jesus and replacing Him with saints, Mary and the rest of the RC statures are a waste of valuable prayer time. And God is not obligated to hear such prayers that are obviously inappropriate .     M

Why do you feel that it is necessary to " ask mercy for others ?" I cannot express the number of times I hear of people praying and God ignoring them for various reasons. 

God doesn't ignore prayer, we ignore His answers, and many times we forget we asked those things that God in His timing granted.

We ask mercy on all souls, they are the work of His hands, the atheist, the Muslim, the  buddhist, the Jew and pagan.

We receive mercy on condition we are merciful, our trespasses are forgiven as we forgive others.

To pray for others is to have forgiven others, to call down blessing and mercy is desiring for their good which is Love. You love your enemies in this way as Jesus told us.

But we are called not just to pray for our own personal enemies, but all enemies, all those that are in darkness.

Our salvation is incidental that we too are merciful to others. You who have received mercy must not require a debt mercilessly, the measure you measure will be measured to you.

We received mercy undeservingly, we can not be stinting in calling it down on other sinners.

If we think in mercy we think like Jesus.

There is only one sense that we deserve mercy and that is because Jesus suffered and died that we should all have it.

So by-passing Jesus and replacing Him with saints, Mary and the rest of the RC statures are a waste of valuable prayer time. And God is not obligated to hear such prayers that are obviously inappropriate .  

"By all prayer and supplication praying at all times in the spirit; and in the same watching with all instance and supplication for all the saints." Eph 6:18

Those in Heaven continue in this scriptural injunction, but they are completely united to Christ and are in Christ. They are watching with all instance and supplication for all the saints.

The saints in heaven are in Christ, nothing bypasses Christ, the saints are in Jesus Heart.

In turn by our thanksgiving to God for the graces, blessings and virtues granted to the saints in Heaven, we appropriate those same graces, blessings and virtues for ourselves. In this way the saints of Heaven receive twice the measure they gave away to us. They are drawn up higher in the Glory by Jesus who is not outdone in generousity.