The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Rob

Answers to prayer?

Hello everyone

I've been a christian for 2 years now and have had what I consider to be spiritual experiences as well as quite compelling answers to prayer. However, like a lot of Christians, I struggle with the possibility that some answers to prayer are mere coincidences and some spiritual experiences are purely psychological in nature.
I would like to share an  anecdote with you and perhaps Christians more mature and more experienced than I can shed light on it.

A few months ago I asked God in prayer, very earnestly, if he loves me. When I returned to work I passed a sandwich board written in English (I live in Japan) which read "Theo loves you". I had been studying Greek in the last two years so I knew that the root word of "Theo" was "Theos" or "God". I had never noticed this sign before despite passing the shop to which it belonged every single day for 6 months so I presume it had only just been put out. It was not sitting outside a church where you'd expect to see signs like this, although probably written in Japanese. It was an advert for a brand of glasses called Theo, sitting outside an opticians. The sandwich board changed after a few days and I don't recall seeing anything even remotely like it anywhere I frequent in Japan since then, even outside churches. If we are to call this a coincidence it seems like a pretty huge one. 
The advert had a christian theme in a christian minority country, it was written in English (although that's fashionable in Japan to be honest), it was right next door to my workplace and on my way to my local convenience store, it was nowhere near a church, it appeared the day after I had asked God if he loves me and seemed to respond directly to my question, it was then taken away quite soon after I had read it and in the three or four months since it happened I haven't seen anything like it anywhere. 
Am I reading too much into this? Maybe I only noticed the sign because it suddenly had more significance. Having said that, I'm a very devout Christian who would have noticed a Christian themed advert had it been there beforehand. I would have probably picked up on any similar adverts I'd seen around Japan before and after I had asked this question in prayer. I don't recall doing so. 

Interesting story. What God already expressed in the Bible He may have further confirmed it through your experience.

On a side note: One day a few years back in the Narita Airport I saw a sign that read, "No smoking room, ahead." With a silent chuckle inside I asked one the female workers why people were smoking inside the room since it is a "No smoking room." She began to explain it and then it hit her and she said, "You're right! It should read, 'No smoking, room ahead' in order to go to the Smoking Room."