SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Julie

I'm a new Christian.

Julie

Hi everyone, 

I'm 34 and wasn't a full believer untill this year, I've always gone through life believing that our souls lived on and there was a lot of unexplained.

Early this year I turned to God and my guardian angels for help. I got christened a few weeks ago, I go church as often as I can....just would like extra help on choosing a bible...what's best, how do you know your on the right path, and someone to talk to and these thinGSM.  Thanks for reading 🙂

• Like 3

Origen

Hello and welcome Julie.  Which translation are you using now?  There are several excellent translation out there.  Many of us here use the ESV but are also many here who uses the KJV.  I would say the marjory of people here consult more than one translation.

• Like 3

Julie

Hi there and thank you, I'm using Esv, what's the KJV? I'm all new to this. 

Origen
26 minutes ago, Julie said:

Hi there and thank you, I'm using Esv, what's the KJV? I'm all new to this. 

King James Version

I do not think you can go wrong with the ESV, but there are other great translations you might want to check out.

NET Bible

New International Version (1984)

New American Standard Version

You can check out these versions online.

Many translations now have study notes (i.e. NET Bible, ESV, NIV) written by Bible scholars which are very helpful.  I really believe these are invaluable.

• Like 2

larry2

Hi Julie and welcome in the blessed name of Jesus. I personally use the KJV version which is the King james Version. The reason for me is that I was introduced to my knowledge of the bible from others that quoted scripture from it, and found that it had more backup sources available, although today the other versions of the bible are better equiped with the advent of the computer.

I'm going to leave the following URL link to Bible Hub. I use it often also when comparing interpretation, as I can type in any given scripture and see around twenty different bibles to get a better understanding at times. May God bless you richly in your spiritual walk as we fellowship together.  :classic_smile:

http://biblehub.com/romans/8-1.htm 

Innerfire89

Welcome.

I think you already got pretty good answers as to what bible translation. The ESV is would be my recommendation, there's a few versions I would stay away from that use a gender neuter rule in thier translation, they replace gender specific words from the original manuscripts, but those versions are uncommon.

• Like 2

Julie

Thank you bother so much 🙂

Julie
2 hours ago, Julie said:

Thank you bother so much 🙂

Sorry typing error 😂 thank you 

• Like 1

RazeontheRock

Hi Julie! Welcome to the family of God!!

I also use free online Bible sites. They also have apps, which I haven't downloaded. (Stupid question but do these chew up a ton of memory?)

Biblegateway.com has lots of good versions.

Blbclassic.org has a great search function, and some study aids.

Whatever version you will read is the "best" version! Get it all in you where the Holy Spirit can use it

• Like 2

CDF47

Welcome to the forum.  I use KJV, ESV, and NASB.  I also use Matthew Henry commentary when I have questions on interpretations.  I use other commentaries as well but mainly Matthew Henry.

There are a lot of Bible smart people on this website so you will learn a lot hear.  It's a great place to discuss Christianity with fellow believers.

Edited by CDF47

deade

Hello Julie, just skimming over the welcome mat discovering newbies I haven't welcomed. Welcome to CF, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

7051.gif

409985ca3eaef2579e87052d4e63a383.gif

Matthew A.Duvall

I'm not a big fan of some newer versions of the bible . I do however trust the KJV and the NKJV when I am trying to interpret a particular passage I am having problems with. BTW , Welcome to the forum.  M

• Like 1

Guest RdrEm
On 6/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, Julie said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm 34 and wasn't a full believer untill this year, I've always gone through life believing that our souls lived on and there was a lot of unexplained.

Early this year I turned to God and my guardian angels for help. I got christened a few weeks ago, I go church as often as I can....just would like extra help on choosing a bible...what's best, how do you know your on the right path, and someone to talk to and these thinGSM.  Thanks for reading 🙂

Which Bible you use, (I say use rather than just read), depends upon what you are reading it FOR:

If you want an accurate, up to date, more or less 'word for word', version of the scriptures in your own language, try:

,NRSV, RSV, NKJV, ESV, ASV, NIV probably in that order of preference.

If you are wanting to get a general view of how scripture felt to its original readers but are not fussy about complete word for word accuracy, but with a more readable and flowing style try:

Living Bible TLB, Good News Bible GNB, JB Phillips NT Translation, The Message by Peterson NT Psalms and Proverbs.

If you want to read actual original names of people and places as Jesus heard and used them:

Jewish New Tesatament by David H Stern.

If you want an old fashioned Bible, with wonderful poetic cadences, idioms which have, for generations, been understood and loved by all English speaking peoples, but contains anachronisms and extinct vocabulary of a by gone age:

The wonderful original AV of The KJV.

If you want to study in depth for a theology degree or to get a deeper, broader, less 'denominational', fuller understanding of The Christian Faith:

Try a number of Study Bibles advertised on line or in any good bookshop. Explore Celtic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, RC versions of Christianity. Some are very old, some rather weird, most authentically 'Christian', all with slightly differing emphasis on what is most important in the way you follow Jesus Christ.

Avoid Sectarian translations, which will present their own particular theological perspective as if the only truth:

Avoid New World Translation of The Jehova's Witnesses. Avoid the Mormon 'Bible' and any other translation which is the product of a single group of scholars in a single sect or denomination. If you do have them, only use them to compare what they say with a version you can trust, like KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, ESV, ASV, NIV and some others.

Edited by RdrEm

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Julie said:

Hi everyone, 

I try to stay away from the multitude of new bible types that are advertised in many of the catalogs that find their way into my mail box. I would find if difficult to stray from the King James Version . If anything I might suggest the New King James Bible by Thomas Nelson Publishers . It's best to get together with experienced Christians in a bible study group that can answer any confusing questions you may have in your new walk with Christ . God bless..     M

• Like 1