SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
silver20

The Forbidden Fruit

silver20

What do you believe could be the forbidden fruit that Eve and Adam ate? Normally the forbidden fruit is portrayed as an apple, does anybody know why?. I have also seen where persons say that they believe that grapes were the forbidden fruit. Does the bible give any indication which fruit is the forbidden one?

Origen
8 minutes ago, silver20 said:

Does the bible give any indication which fruit is the forbidden one?

The Bible gives no indication.

• Like 1

larry2

Hi and welcome silver20 in the name of Jesus.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil in Gen 2:9, was poisonous. Gen 2:17  . . . in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

What do I think this fruit was? The Ten commandments.  In 2Co 3:7  it is called the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones.

Gen 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. Until then, they would not be responsible for something they had no knowledge of. I would suppose this to a child in what has become to be known as the age of responsibility.

Becky

Not a Biblical reply here.  Apple always sounded right to me. One time about 60+ years ago  bit into an apple and found a half of worm. :classic_sad: Not a good experience.  

The actual fruit does not mater. What matters is the disobedience and the Grace.  

• Like 2

Faber
44 minutes ago, silver20 said:

Normally the forbidden fruit is portrayed as an apple, does anybody know why?

Apple

In Western Europe, the fruit was often depicted as an apple. This was possibly because of a misunderstanding of – or a pun on – mălum, a native Latin noun which means evil (from the adjective malus), and mālum, another Latin noun, borrowed from Greek μῆλον, which means apple. In the Vulgate, Genesis 2:17 describes the tree as de ligno autem scientiae boni et mali : "but of the tree [literally wood ] of knowledge of good and evil" (mali here is the genitive of malum).

The larynx, specifically the laryngeal prominence that joins the thyroid cartilage, in the human throat is noticeably more prominent in males and was consequently called an Adam's apple, from a notion that it was caused by the forbidden fruit getting stuck in Adam's throat as he swallowed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_fruit

• Like 1

Innerfire89

No telling, but I would imagine the forbidden was one of kind and didn't resemble any fruit we have today.

theophilus

I have heard that the fruit was a pomegranate.  I have no idea how this conclusion was reached.  However I thin Innerfire's response in the previous post is the correct one.

• Like 1

deade
On 6/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Becky said:

The actual fruit does not mater. What matters is the disobedience and the Grace. 

This is the crux of the matter, it make no difference what the fruit was: What it does mean is what the fruit represents: The knowledge of good and evil. God's job is to define good and evil not our's or anyone else's.

• Like 3

Ransol
On 6/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, larry2 said:

Hi and welcome silver20 in the name of Jesus.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil in Gen 2:9, was poisonous. Gen 2:17  . . . in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

What do I think this fruit was? The Ten commandments.  In 2Co 3:7  it is called the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones.

Gen 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. Until then, they would not be responsible for something they had no knowledge of. I would suppose this to a child in what has become to be known as the age of responsibility.

You sound like me here.  

FOR THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN.

• Like 1

Placable37

Not your average apple...👀

Gen 3:5-6
(5)  For God does know that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
(6)  And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

(7)  And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Ever heard of a variety called "Instant Regret"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

avdpeas

I personally believe that the forbidden "fruits" were nuts.  Afterall, the Tree of Knowledge is called so because of the nuts' resemblance to the human brain.  Ever noticed what a Walnut looks like?  However, just because nuts look like brain anatomy does not mean that they are needed for brain survival.  The Earth began as a mass of lava and magma, and from that came the mantle, the lithosphere, and biological life.  Life came from the earth, the sun, and water;  not from nuts, prosaically speaking.

Edited by avdpeas

Origen
2 minutes ago, avdpeas said:

Afterall, the Tree of Knowledge is called so because of the nuts' resemblance to the human brain. 

I take it this is simply your personal opinion.  There really is no evidence for such a claim.

avdpeas
1 minute ago, Origen said:

I take it this is simply your personal opinion.

Yes.

deade

I believe the forbidden fruit tree has a physical and a symbolic component to it. And yes, the fruit actually opened their eyes. God knew they would partake and He knew they had before He even asked. Their guilty consciences made them aware of their nakedness.

What the symbolism boils down to is defining the original sin. That is deciding right from wrong, or good and evil if you will, for themselves instead of trusting God. I believe that was Satan's sin also. He probably said something like why is this evil, just because God says so? Not trusting God's truths is what leads to unbelief.

So, by God imputing us all sinful right from the start meant He didn't have to wait until we actually sinned. Which we would eventually. That was very clever of God, imputing sin to Adam's descendants so He would only have to rescue us once.

Rom. 5:12-14: "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come." 

Here is the justification:

Rom. 5:18,19: "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

God is in the process of ridding the universe of evil. He is demonstrating how evil will end things in the long run. Satan and the fallen angels started this, but God is going to finish it while showing us a few things. When it is all done, God is going to prove we should have listened to His decision of what is good and what is evil.  

7055.gif

avdpeas

I see your main point.  Accordingly, it does not matter what the forbidden fruit was.  What matters is obedience to God.

• Like 1

Prim

The forbidden fruit was certainly knowledge. And Ye shall be as Gods knowing good and evil. The temptation offered by the serpent of being a god unto ourselves effects all of humanity  including ourselves today. One does not not know what type of fruit it was. Only that it was most desirable to look apon. And that the temptation became too desirable to resist when fully explained,  even if that was done by the deceit of the evil one. It's also intriguing that we also have the tree of life in the same paradise as well. Of what fruit that may be we do not know. Only that God in his infinite wisdom barred it from us until a future appointed time as mentioned in St Johns Revelations . I always found Calvins commentary on the fall of man most deep. Especially when you think it through. For is not a lost paradise that the world has always sought after in every age. Yet as John Calvin did so aptly write.  That Adam & Eve were perfect in every way. They also had a perfect paradise, along with the perfect love of God as well. Yet they still chose to use their free will over Gods perfect love, perfect paradise and also his perfect will . 

• Like 1

dpaulw

If I had to choose I would say it was a grape.

Numbers 6:4  All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

Deuteronomy 32:14  Butter of kine, and milk of sheep, with fat of lambs, and rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the fat of kidneys of wheat; and thou didst drink the pure blood of the grape.

3 hours ago, Prim said:

The forbidden fruit was certainly knowledge. And Ye shall be as Gods knowing good and evil. The temptation offered by the serpent of being a god unto ourselves effects all of humanity  including ourselves today. One does not not know what type of fruit it was. Only that it was most desirable to look apon. And that the temptation became too desirable to resist when fully explained,  even if that was done by the deceit of the evil one. It's also intriguing that we also have the tree of life in the same paradise as well. Of what fruit that may be we do not know. Only that God in his infinite wisdom barred it from us until a future appointed time as mentioned in St Johns Revelations . I always found Calvins commentary on the fall of man most deep. Especially when you think it through. For is not a lost paradise that the world has always sought after in every age. Yet as John Calvin did so aptly write.  That Adam & Eve were perfect in every way. They also had a perfect paradise, along with the perfect love of God as well. Yet they still chose to use their free will over Gods perfect love, perfect paradise and also his perfect will . 

I believe there is much scriptural evidence.

You brought out some good points in that by it they would obtain knowledge and that it was desirable. If we are now living in satan's kingdom it must be 'full' of it. In contrast Jesus said we need to eat His flesh and drink His blood to be one with the Word. So the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is the antithesis. And when they partook they knew they were naked. 

Would eating an apple bring you to that knowledge?

• Like 2

Prim

2404. Would eating a apple bring us to that knowledge. Why yes of course. For when we do reach for our apple iPad, iPhone or computer  we do always find that great Luciferian boast staring us in the face daily, there with the emblem of the bite taken from the apple from whatever Adam and Eve did partake of so long ago. So perhaps your right that this is still very much satans kingdom and satans world. Your viewpoint of Jesus being our life blood and to be one in obedience with his word is a most interesting one. Especially when being used as a antithesis ( the opposite of ) when comparing it with the tree of knowledge to know good and evil. A role that was never meant for us. And when they partook they knew they were naked? 2404 I'm not sure what you mean with that. Yes we were all once happily naturists before the fall is all I can think of. .

• Like 1

avdpeas
On 7/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, Origen said:

There really is no evidence for such a claim.

Evidence?  Open up a Walnut shell, and inside of it you see a nut that looks like a cerebral cortex.  Since knowledge is associated with the brain, the Walnut (and the other nuts) are concatenated to knowledge.  Therefore, you have the Tree of Knowledge which is really a tree of nuts.

Origen
25 minutes ago, avdpeas said:

Evidence?  Open up a Walnut shell, and inside of it you see a nut that looks like a cerebral cortex.  Since knowledge is associated with the brain, the Walnut (and the other nuts) are concatenated to knowledge.  Therefore, you have the Tree of Knowledge which is really a tree of nuts.

Since you have no evidence it was a walnut, that is at best pure conjecture.  It is poor reasoning to conclude that since the inside of a walnut in some way resembles a brain, and by the way that itself is merely an opinion, it follows the forbidden fruit was a walnut.

avdpeas
6 minutes ago, Origen said:

Since you have no evidence it was a walnut, that is at best pure conjecture.  It is poor reasoning to conclude that since the inside of a walnut in some way resembles a brain, and by the way that itself is merely an opinion, it follows the forbidden fruit was a walnut.

I said the forbidden "fruits" were nuts.  And no, it's not just an opinion;  a walnut truly does look like a cerebrum.

Origen
On 8/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, avdpeas said:

I said the forbidden "fruits" were nuts. 

I never said you didn't.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, avdpeas said:

And no, it's not just an opinion;  a walnut truly does look like a cerebrum.

According to you but to others it doesn't.  Thus it is only an opinion.

Moreover my points still stand.  You have no evidence it was a walnut.  Your claim is at best pure conjecture.  It is poor reasoning to conclude that since the inside of walnut in some way might resembles a brain, and by the way that itself is merely an opinion, it follows the forbidden fruit was a walnut.

Origen
Just now, avdpeas said:

Wow.

I know!