SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
ConfessionalLutheran

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has been compromised.

ConfessionalLutheran

I think it is pertinent and a telling example of a church that abandons its roots and confessions in favor of the things of this world : https://www.exposingtheelca.com/.

I'd include the ELCA on the list of cults at this point. This is an example of a church that has steadily grown more and more leftist until the only things " Lutheran" left about them are the outward liturgical forms and a passing nod to the Book of Concord. They're so eager to pitch the Confessions and mythologize the Word of God so they look good to the world that they lose every sense of what it is to be a Confessional Lutheran Christian.

• Love 1

Diego

Confessional Lutheran, I avoid the term "cult" except for groups along the lines of Jim Jones and the like. But, that having been said, the ELCA is a disaster. It, like the Episcopal Church, has basically forgone the Christian Faith of our fathers in favour of relativism, liberalism, and borderline Communism.

I shan't disagree with you. Although I think that there are pockets of Christianity left IN the ELCA, the ELCA as a whole is no longer a Christian Church, let alone a Lutheran Church. It really is that simple, and that sad.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

ConfessionalLutheran
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Diego said:

Confessional Lutheran, I avoid the term "cult" except for groups along the lines of Jim Jones and the like. But, that having been said, the ELCA is a disaster. It, like the Episcopal Church, has basically forgone the Christian Faith of our fathers in favour of relativism, liberalism, and borderline Communism.

I shan't disagree with you. Although I think that there are pockets of Christianity left IN the ELCA, the ELCA as a whole is no longer a Christian Church, let alone a Lutheran Church. It really is that simple, and that sad.

You're absolutely right. If somebody is a Lutheran, s/he adheres to the Biblical standards of the Lutheran Confessions. It's really that simple. If one does not conform to Confessional standards, then one is not a Lutheran. This is an excellent link that explains what a true Lutheran is: 

WWW.LUTHERANLAYMAN.COM

What exactly is a "Confessional" Lutheran anyway? In short, an almost extinct species of Lutherans within the Body of Christ....

Diego

CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN, you know I don't disagree with you on this. Although I recognize that Quatenus Lutherans are indeed Lutherans in some sense, they are NOT Lutheran in the same sense that Quia Lutherans are. All Lutherans are obliged to know the difference, and, to the extent that we are capable, informing non-Lutherans of the difference.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

ConfessionalLutheran
56 minutes ago, Diego said:

CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN, you know I don't disagree with you on this. Although I recognize that Quatenus Lutherans are indeed Lutherans in some sense, they are NOT Lutheran in the same sense that Quia Lutherans are. All Lutherans are obliged to know the difference, and, to the extent that we are capable, informing non-Lutherans of the difference.

I hear you, @Diego, although I think that the initials ELCA in this case represents " Everything Luther Cautioned Against," rather than representing anything actually Lutheran ( I'm sure there may be confessional ELCA parishes out there, but how then could they continue their affiliation with a group that sponsors travesties such as " Her Church" or have anything to do with Nadia Bolz- Weber is beyond my ken).

• Love 1

Diego

Everything Luther Cautioned Against, eh? I LIKE that! That is genuinely funny!😁 I admit that I am not familiar with Her Church or Nadia Bolz-Weber, and I probably don't want to be (I am familiar with similar sounding names and organisations in the Episcopal Church, and they are positively horrifying), but I think the purpose of the Confessional Lutherans still in ELCA comes down to a couple of things. (1), they think they can be the leaven in the loaf to bring ELCA back to a Christian life. (2), and more commonly, at least here in the Mid-West, it is genetic and familial. "I am Swedish (or Norwegian, or Finnish, or Danish, or Czech, or German). My family belonged to the ELCA from 1988 when it was formed, or to the predecessor Churches that formed it before that year, and which were largely ethnically divided. I cannot leave the parish that I, and my family, have been a member of for 150 years."

I know one church, Augustana Lutheran Church, where I was married to my wife, who is ELCA. She is pro-women in the clergy, but she is not pro-gay, or or pro-gender neutral language, or any of that crap. She is largely of Norwegian and German ancestry. Her family is Lutheran on both sides going back as far as the Reformation. Augustana has a very liberal Pastor (whom I nonetheless respect for his personal holiness), but the congregation is fairly conservative. The church is one of the oldest in the city of any denomination. On the plaque it still says, "erected to the glory of God, Augustana Swedish Lutheran Church, 1875", or something to that effect. It is an ethnic thing with her. Although she herself is not Swedish, the ELCA was formed out of Norwegian (which she is), Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Czech, and even a small German (which she also is) contingent that broke off from LCMS in the late '70's during Seminex. She grew up in the Norwegian predecessor Church, whatever it was called. She even tried LCMS, and did not like it. She agreed with the doctrines, but found it cold and unwelcoming.

My point is that with a lot of these people here in the Mid-West, you go where your family has always gone. Lutheranism, be it LCMS, ELCA, LCWS, ELS, or LCMC is practically the State Faith here, just like it is in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. The LCMS and LCWS (Lutheran Church Wisconsin Synod) are Germans who left Germany in the 1800's to get away from Prussia forcing Calvinists and Lutherans to join one State Protestant Church (which happened). But these Lutherans here inter-marry with each other. ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) are a bunch of Norwegians that want no part of ELCA, because they are hard-core conservatives. LCMC (Lutheran Congregations for Missions in Christ) are some Lutherans of various ethnic groups who have left the ELCA recently because they don't like how liberal it is. They ordain women, but everything else is still conservative. I married my wife. She is ELCA. I am LCMS. She receives Communion in my parish with the blessing of my Pastor and hers, and I receive Communion in hers, with the blessing of her Pastor and mine. Knowing that Dawn's (my wife) views are more conservative than most of ELCA, I have invited her to give LCMS another try. She wants no part of it. She has invited me to join her Church, since I have a good relationship with the Pastor. I want no part of it.

So ultimately, in this part of the world, where Lutheranism of one kind or another is virtually the State Faith (German and Austrian Catholics make up second largest Faith, but they are considerably behind us numerically), people have different motives for staying in the various Churches of their membership. I would suggest that here, the majority of ELCA churches are fairly conservative. Most Mid-Westerners are, except for Minnesota, which is the California of the Mid-West. They just get a little odd up there. But they are still mostly Lutheran. Its on the Coasts, both the Left Coast and the Right Coast, where you get your radical liberals in ELCA, and your moderate liberals in LCMS. And I assure you, much as we hate admitting it, there ARE moderate liberals (often too liberal for my taste) in LCMS, that really should jump ship and join ELCA, just like my wife should join LCMS. But they don't. So there you are.

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1

ConfessionalLutheran

Indeed. I call those hyper- liberal LCMS members " the serpent in the Garden." They should transfer, but they won't. It's sad that there's such a division, but I think that President Harrison's doing a fairly good job keeping the LCMS on the straight and narrow.

pastor marty

Reading Martin Luther's life story helped free me from my childhood indoctrination in a Roman school which practiced corporal punishment and fear and made me hate God and the dowel rod Mother Superior beat me with.Lutherans,(don't  know what branch) took me in and showed me Christians could be kind. (for what it's worth) thankyou !

• Like 2

Diego
15 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Indeed. I call those hyper- liberal LCMS members " the serpent in the Garden." They should transfer, but they won't. It's sad that there's such a division, but I think that President Harrison's doing a fairly good job keeping the LCMS on the straight and narrow.

I generally approve of President Harrison's leadership myself. You know, he is from Sioux City. He gave the sermon at our last Easter Sunday Sunrise Service.

• Like 1

ConfessionalLutheran
3 hours ago, Diego said:

I generally approve of President Harrison's leadership myself. You know, he is from Sioux City. He gave the sermon at our last Easter Sunday Sunrise Service.

I appreciate the good pastor's leadership style, too. 

Diego

I thought I would note here that the Wisconsin Synod is properly called WELS, Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. I miswrote the title of the Church in one of my previous posts.

• Like 1

Brother Nicholas

Clearly there is so much deep-seated hatred of "others" in these postings.   

How sad.  How counterproductive. How non-Christian.   

Hopefully these heretical posters will someday come to know and to love Our Good Lord Jesus. 

Surely,  they must  eventually at long last be sufficiently informed so as to actually heed His message to all who  abide on this tiny, tiny water-covered planet Earth.

-The Good Brother Nicholas of The Desert,   Territory of The Mojave Desert,  12:40 Ante Meridiem,  Pacific Daylight Time, Saturday, 1 September 1818 Anno Domini

• ouch 1

ConfessionalLutheran
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:41 AM, Brother Nicholas said:

Clearly there is so much deep-seated hatred of "others" in these postings.   

How sad.  How counterproductive. How non-Christian.   

Hopefully these heretical posters will someday come to know and to love Our Good Lord Jesus. 

Surely,  they must  eventually at long last be sufficiently informed so as to actually heed His message to all who  abide on this tiny, tiny water-covered planet Earth.

-The Good Brother Nicholas of The Desert,   Territory of The Mojave Desert,  12:40 Ante Meridiem,  Pacific Daylight Time, Saturday, 1 September 1818 Anno Domini

Hatred of sin there is bound to be,

Loathing of evil heresy.

Heresy is departure from Biblical and Confessional truth,

Herchurch and HFASS in the ELCA fit that, in sooth.

If they could be brought to confess and repent,

Then our time in prayer would have been well spent.

The Law and Gospel change not with the times,

Regardless of your or my pretty rhymes.

Love for a sinner means not to encourage their sin,

Pray that the Holy Spirit might change them from within.

Lutherans may determine the heresy of those who Lutheran call themselves,

As Lambeth for a few years put TEC back on its shelves.

God is good, mighty and just,

In His Word alone ought we to trust.

Transient values of decadent society today,

Touch not the Eternal Law of the One to Whom we pray.

Andrew Robert McDonald Gooding, Commonwealth of Virginia, 11:07 post meridiem, Eastern Daylight Time, Sunday, September 01, 2018.

• Like 2
  • Toast 1