SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Placable37

Blessings Of Online Oikos

Placable37

Oikos is a Greek word used in the Bible that often translates as "house" or "household".

In English, "household" means something like the nuclear family. 

In Greek its usage is much broader and includes not just family but also neighbors, co-workers and friends, and those with whom we come into regular contact.

The modern oikos comprises people that share some sort of social interaction, albeit briefly and anonymously, as on the internet, but if regularly then certainly we can recognise this as their online oikos. 

Heb 3:4-6
(4)  For every house (oikos) is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
(5)  And Moses verily was faithful in all his house (oikos), as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
(6)  But Christ as a son over his own house (oikos); whose house (oikos) are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

1Pe 2:5
(5)  You also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house (oikos), an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

image.png.3ba2f398c4aa009c390b3921ce911d02.png

I do enjoy the blessings of an online oikos, that social interaction on a wide range of topics about which a rich diversity of opinions exist, that desire to fellowship as followers of Christ, that discovery of conflicting perspectives and mysterious reasonings, that obvious need to be part of a community...and my favourite, "EDIFICATION", defined in Vine's Expository Dictionary as "the promotion of spiritual growth".

• Like 1

Civilwarbuff

Oh, sorry......thought this was a thread about yogurt......

• Haha 3

Becky

Is that the same word used in John 14:2?

Origen
2 minutes ago, Becky said:

Yes.

Becky

Thanks  What 'relationship' does it have to the word mansion, if any?  I can read what Strong's says . Strong's to me is often either over my head or flat. Thanks again

Placable37
13 minutes ago, Becky said:

Hi Becky,

Your question has been answered as I post this, but may I refer you to a very good program called E-sword. You can freely install it, and there are options you can freely select, with pop-ups of each word in Hebrew or Greek, and many helpful commentaries. 

http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Edited by Placable37

Origen
18 minutes ago, Becky said:

Thanks  What 'relationship' does it have to the word mansion, if any?  I can read what Strong's says . Strong's to me is often either over my head or flat. Thanks again

The word translated as "mansion" is μονή.  However the word "mansion" really does not fit now a days.  The word (i.e. μονή) refers to a place in which one stays, a dwelling place, room, abode.  Thus the "many rooms" idea means that the "Son provides more than enough space for every one of his followers to join him."

The image is a common one for the time.  As the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary  (Vol. 2, p. 137) points out:

"It was customary for sons to add to their father’s house once married, so that the entire estate grew into a large compound (called insula) centered around a communal courtyard. The image used by Jesus may also have conjured up notions of luxurious Greco-Roman villas, replete with numerous terraces and buildings and situated among shady gardens with an abundance of trees and flowing water."

Was that any help?

• Best Answer 1

Becky
6 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

Hi Becky,

Your question has been answered as I post this, but may I refer you to a very good program called E-sword. You can freely install it, and there are options you can freely select, with pop-ups of each word in Hebrew or Greek, and many helpful commentaries. 

Thanks I use eSword. Have for many years. For me it is a great asset  . My concern being how flat a printed mini paragraph can be to my thick skull. Tell me is there more then the JKV+?

Placable37
4 minutes ago, Placable37 said:
10 minutes ago, Becky said:

Hi Becky,

Joh 14:2
(2)  InG1722 myG3450 Father'sG3962 houseG3614 areG1526 manyG4183 mansions:G3438 if it were notG1490 so, I would have toldG2036 G302 you.G5213 I goG4198 to prepareG2090 a placeG5117 for you.G5213

G3438

μονή
monē
mon-ay'
From G3306; a staying, that is, residence (the act or the place): - abode, mansion.
Total KJV occurrences: 2

G3624

οἶκος
oikos
oy'-kos
Of uncertain affinity; a dwelling (more or less extensive, literally or figuratively); by implication a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively): - home, house (-hold), temple.
Total KJV occurrences: 114

I think context decides which one to use.

• Best Answer 1

Becky
8 minutes ago, Origen said:

The word translated as "mansion" is μονή.  However the word "mansion" really does not fit now a days.  The word refers to a place in which one stays, a dwelling place, room, abode.  Thus "many rooms" means that the "Son provides more than enough space for every one of his followers to join him."

The image is a common one for the time.  As the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary  (Vol. 2, p. 11) pointed out:

"It was customary for sons to add to their father’s house once married, so that the entire estate grew into a large compound (called insula) centered around a communal courtyard. The image used by Jesus may also have conjured up notions of luxurious Greco-Roman villas, replete with numerous terraces and buildings and situated among shady gardens with an abundance of trees and flowing water."

The kind meat i was hoping for , thank you. 

Placable37
Just now, Becky said:

Thanks I use eSword. Have for many years. For me it is a great asset  . My concern being how flat a printed mini paragraph can be to my thick skull. Tell me is there more then the JKV+?

Oh Yes. You go into Download and choose which other translations you want on your menu bar. It's the same with other study helps, although if there is a cost involved I pass on them.

Origen
5 minutes ago, Becky said:

The kind meat i was hoping for , thank you. 

We tend to think of a mansion here in the U.S. as a manor or estate but that is not what Jesus had in mind.

Now the British definition does fit (i.e. a large building with many apartments; apartment house).

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/mansion

Becky

@Placable37  Isorta read John 14 to be speaking of family as apposed to buildings or fancy homes.

Becky
5 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

Oh Yes. You go into Download and choose which other translations you want on your menu bar. It's the same with other study helps, although if there is a cost involved I pass on them.

Time to dig deeper into eSword :classic_smile:

Placable37

@Placable37  Isorta read John 14 to be speaking of family as apposed to buildings or fancy homes.

In my capacity as a Royal Ranger chaplain, many years ago now,  I collected House & Home magazines for the young Rangers to cut pictures of houses out of and paste on flashcards with verses that mentioned house or home. I still have their work in my filing cabinet.

There is an implication that a home involves buildings and vice versa, but I like Origen's answer because it totally fits the Jewish Bride and Bridegroom custom of the groom first preparing a place then going to get his previously bethrothed bride. 

• Like 1

Becky

Royal rangers? AofG? 

Origen
23 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

There is an implication that a home involves buildings and vice versa, but I like Origen's answer because it totally fits the Jewish Bride and Bridegroom custom of the groom first preparing a place then going to get his previously bethrothed bride. 

Thank you very much P37.  That is very kind of you.

• Like 1

Placable37
3 minutes ago, Becky said:

Royal rangers? AofG? 

Correctamundo! I was part of a large AoG from1985 to 1993. Met my wife of nearly 32 years there, went through Evangel Ministry Training College, served in leadership but when the music became too loud and the charismania too bizarre opted out. Now enjoying simple fellowship through In-home Ekklesia, as we loosely term it.

Becky

:classic_ohmy:  My heart breaks to see what has happened to the AoG.  Being literally born in it, Dad was in Bible School when i was born, Glad Tidings 70 years ago. Dad pastored for about 50 years unlearning much of what he was taught as they grew goofy.

Placable37

:classic_ohmy:  My heart breaks to see what has happened to the AoG.  Being literally born in it, Dad was in Bible School when i was born, Glad Tidings 70 years ago. Dad pastored for about 50 years unlearning much of what he was taught as they grew goofy.

Snap, in a way. Preacher's kid that is. My father was an Anglican (NZ) clergyman/vicar. I was nearly written out of my widowed mother's will when I transferred allegiance.

Becky

Brother and sister in the Lord and both PKs :classic_tongue:

Placable37
12 minutes ago, Becky said:

Brother and sister in the Lord and both PKs :classic_tongue:

Amen. I must add my late mother improved her position to be genuinely filled with the Holy Spirit one special Easter a few years before she passed at nearly 83 years of age.