SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Fastfredy0

Does God have a sense of humor?

Fastfredy0

Is there any reason to believe God has a sense of humor?

Only reasons I can come up with are:

1)  We have a sense of humor and were created in His image (seems a weak reason)

2) He created me (just kidding, sort of)

Seems to me God's love for a person does not change (He knows our entire biography before we were born so no surprises or need to change opinion).  Ergo, it seems nothing new would cause me to giggle.

Perhaps Jesus' human nature could laugh when, say Peter fell into a puddle?

• Like 1

theophilus
19 minutes ago, Fastfredy0 said:

I am certain that Jesus had a sense of humor but I doubt if he would have found something like this funny.  Our sense of humor, like everything else about us, has been warped by sin so we sometimes find embarassing things that happen to others funny.

• Like 2

th1bill
17 minutes ago, Fastfredy0 said:

Is there any reason to believe God has a sense of humor?

Only reasons I can come up with are:

1)  We have a sense of humor and were created in His image (seems a weak reason)

2) He created me (just kidding, sort of)

Seems to me God's love for a person does not change (He knows our entire biography before we were born so no surprises or need to change opinion).  Ergo, it seems nothing new would cause me to giggle.

Did YHWH create the Duck Billed Platypus?  If you've ever even viewed a photo of this, really, strange critter you already know the Creator smiled, and maybe chuckled when He created this one and I think He had to think to Himself, "Let's see the Atheists explain that one!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CDF47

I think He has a sense of humor for sure.  Like you said, we are created in His image and we have a sense of humor, so I believe we get it from Him.  I believe He does not find funny many of the things we find funny though.

• Like 3

Placable37
24 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

I think He has a sense of humor for sure.  Like you said, we are created in His image and we have a sense of humor, so I believe we get it from Him.  I believe He does not find funny many of the things we find funny though.

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!!! 🤣🤣😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CDF47
Just now, Placable37 said:

Very true.

• Like 1

deade
2 hours ago, Placable37 said:

Or just plan period. God goes ha ha let's see how you pull that off! Anyone you know that has a balanced character about them, will have a sense of humor. Would you think that God is not balanced? Of course, He has a sense of humor.  :classic_smile: :RpS_lol:

7055.gif

• Like 1

Fastfredy0
9 hours ago, deade said:

Would you think that God is not balanced? Of course, He has a sense of humor.  

I've never read about the attributes of God (i.e. Wayne Grudem, A.W. Pink) and had "Balanced" or "Humor" mentioned.   Can you define "balanced" and give a scripture(s)?  Give examples of what God would find humorous given he can't be 'surprised' (and I would say he predestines all things).

deade
6 hours ago, Fastfredy0 said:

I've never read about the attributes of God (i.e. Wayne Grudem, A.W. Pink) and had "Balanced" or "Humor" mentioned.   Can you define "balanced" and give a scripture(s)?  Give examples of what God would find humorous given he can't be 'surprised' (and I would say he predestines all things).

Grudem holds to noncessationist Charismatic beliefs and was at one time a qualified supporter of the Vineyard Movement[9] and one of the main apologists and spokesmen for reuniting Charismatic, Reformed, and Evangelical churches.

I find this funny about Grudem.

In 1940, Hove became a regular target of German air raids, and the Pinks moved to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Scotland, where they remained for the rest of his life. The island was a bastion of Calvinism, but church services were held mostly in Scots Gaelic, and visitors were not especially welcomed in any case.

About A. W. Pink, this is kind of funny, but sad.

Placable37
12 hours ago, Fastfredy0 said:

Hi FastfredyO,

If we take the definition of humour to mean "the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech"; and look for things in the Bible that have a comical aspect or comic and funny side, such as satire and irony, we may find them, and may decide God intends us to see them; and while it is true God loves a cheerful (Gr. hilarious) giver; I do not think God intends for excessive jocularity, absurdity, absurdness, ludicrousness, drollness, and facetiousness to be attributed to Him. 

1Co 1:23-31
(23)  But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
(24)  But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
(25)  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
(26)  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
(27)  But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
(28)  And base things of the world, and things which are despised, has God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
(29)  That no flesh should glory in his presence.
(30)  But of him are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
(31)  That, according as it is written, He that glories, let him glory in the Lord.

If we find an aspect of the story of David and Goliath amusing because of the reaction the shepherd boy with a sling and some stones going up against the champion giant brings:

1Sa 17:42-47
(42)  And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
(43)  And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that you come to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.

I don't think we lose our sanctification by seeing a humourous side to God in the way things played out.

• Like 1