SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Faber

Should we abstain from partaking of the Lord's Supper?

Faber

Based on 1 Corinthians 11:27-32 I heard a pastor say that if there is known sin in your life that you ought to refrain from partaking of the Lord's Supper because that would be approaching it an "unworthy manner." Is this biblically correct?

Civilwarbuff

The problem I have with these verses is that Jesus himself never said any such thing; do this in rememberance of me is all He asked.

Edited by Civilwarbuff

Bull of the Woods
29 minutes ago, Faber said:

Based on 1 Corinthians 11:27-32 I heard a pastor say that if there is known sin in your life that you ought to refrain from partaking of the Lord's Supper because that would be approaching it an "unworthy manner." Is this biblically correct?

I think it somewhat correlates with Matthew 5

22Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you,24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

If you are aware of a sin, which should mean you are convicted of it by the Spirit within, your communion with God and the body will be negatively impacted. To simultaneously celebrate the Lord's Table while not confessing your sorrow for a sin that must be harming your fellowship with Him and your fellow believers is worse than a waste of time.

Similar in my mind to going to the altar with an offering while something bad is going on between you and another believer.

But I am not the deepest of theologians by a long long shot and so I welcome correction.

Edited by Bull of the Woods

Bull of the Woods
5 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

The problem I have with these verses is that Jesus himself never said any such thing; do this in rememberance of me is all He asked.

Not to start a ruckus but I don't put the truthfulness and authority of Christ's words and other scriptures in separate categories.

reformed baptist
26 minutes ago, Faber said:

v28 has the answer "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup." (see also v31) - it isn't a question of examining ourselves and staying away, it is a question of examining ourselves and repenting so that we can partake.

• Like 2

reformed baptist
20 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

2 Tim 3:16-17 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." it doesn't matter if it's red ink or black ink my friend - it's all equally the word of God. 

Civilwarbuff
2 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

v28 has the answer "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup." (see also v31) - it isn't a question of examining ourselves and staying away, it is a question of examining ourselves and repenting so that we can partake.

Messiah did not ask that of His disciples, He said eat.....drink....in rememberance of Me.

Civilwarbuff
2 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

2 Tim 3:16-17 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." it doesn't matter if it's red ink or black ink my friend - it's all equally the word of God. 

The color of the ink has nothing to do with my response, the words of Messiah has everything to do with my response.

Civilwarbuff
20 minutes ago, Bull of the Woods said:

Not to start a ruckus but I don't put the truthfulness and authority of Christ's words and other scriptures in separate categories.

Neither do I........

Bull of the Woods
7 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

Messiah did not ask that of His disciples, He said eat.....drink....in rememberance of Me.

Jesus didn't baptize anyone in water did He? Yet somehow we got the idea to do so? 

I wrote that quickly without much thought.

Bull of the Woods

Duh....He said to baptize in the great commission..,

Civilwarbuff
1 minute ago, Bull of the Woods said:

Jesus didn't baptize anyone in water did He?

Baptism in water was not his mission; that belonged to others.  

Mar 1:8  I baptized you with water, but it is he who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."   ESV

reformed baptist
10 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

The color of the ink has nothing to do with my response, the words of Messiah has everything to do with my response.

Which means what exactly - that some how the words that Jesus spoke in those three (?) years here on earth (the red ink) are more important then the rest of the Bible? 

If that is the case, why did Paul not say so to Timothy - why doesn't 2 Tim 3:16 say, "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, but pay particular attention to what Jesus said because that is the really useful stuff......." My friend, the source of every word of scripture is God himself - What Paul writes is just as much from the mouth of God as the words the Messiah spoke were. Besides, how many words of Jesus do we actually have in the Bible? We only have a couple of Aramaic phrases eg Mark 5:41 & Mark 15:34 - the rest is a Greek translation.  

Civilwarbuff
12 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

Which means what exactly - that some how the words that Jesus spoke in those three (?) years here on earth (the red ink) are more important then the rest of the Bible? 

Well, since this was God himself here on earth and His presence and sacrifice changed the course of human history......yeah, we might want to pay really close attention to His words.

15 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

If that is the case, why did Paul not say so to Timothy - why doesn't 2 Tim 3:16 say, "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, but pay particular attention to what Jesus said because that is the really useful stuff......."

I think that was kind of a given back in the day but since people seem to have strayed from what Messiah said it should probably be reinforced today.

17 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

My friend, the source of every word of scripture is God himself - What Paul writes is just as much from the mouth of God as the words the Messiah spoke were.

But for some reason it was really important to come down here and say it to our faces.....we should probably pay very close attention to what He said.

18 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

Besides, how many words of Jesus do we actually have in the Bible? We only have a couple of Aramaic phrases eg Mark 5:41 & Mark 15:34 - the rest is a Greek translation.  

Maybe put that red herring in your back pocket and use it on someone else.  Messiah's words cannot be measured in mere numbers my friend.....we must look beyond that......

Innerfire89

I would think that repenting of know sins would fit the build, but what I'm seeing also in those verses is division in the church and taking communion as if it were to be a meal, some were being selfish and even getting drunk. 1Corinthians 11:18-22.

• Like 1

Innerfire89
1 hour ago, Civilwarbuff said:

Paul was an apostle of Christ, meaning that he was a spokesman for Christ with authority, it's not Christ words against Paul's, it' Christ words through Paul.

Civilwarbuff
20 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

Paul was an apostle of Christ, meaning that he was a spokesman for Christ with authority, it's not Christ words against Paul's, it' Christ words through Paul.

And yet all I have done is quote what Messiah himself said.......

Civilwarbuff
33 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

I would think that repenting of know sins would fit the build, but what I'm seeing also in those verses is division in the church and taking communion as if it were to be a meal, some were being selfish and even getting drunk. 1Corinthians 11:18-22.

There seems to be quite a change in how Communion was conducted from the Apostolic Age to the Early Church age.....it seemed to evolve from something somewhat minor to something that was almost(?) worshiped in itself.  I mean the references to Communion throughout the NT are relatively few considering the importance that it gained from the Early Church age until present time.

Edited by Civilwarbuff

Innerfire89
7 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

And yet all I have done is quote what Messiah himself said.......

So what's your point? How is even an argument? All you've done is chreey pick Scripture to suit your own opinion.

Innerfire89
10 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

There seems to be quite a change in how Communion was conducted from the Apostolic Age to the Early Church age.....it seemed to evolve from something somewhat minor to something that was almost(?) worshiped in itself.  I mean the references to Communion throughout the NT are relatively few considering the importance that it gained from the Early Church age until present time.

Please explain. Is obeying Christ unimportant?

Civilwarbuff
1 hour ago, Innerfire89 said:

So what's your point? How is even an argument? All you've done is chreey pick Scripture to suit your own opinion.

If quoting Messiah is cherry picking I plead guilty......

Civilwarbuff
1 hour ago, Innerfire89 said:

Please explain. Is obeying Christ unimportant?

Sorry, but I don't understand your question.  It has nothing to do with what I posted and you quoted.  Can you please re-phrase?

• Like 1

Innerfire89
4 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

If quoting Messiah is cherry picking I plead guilty......

Lol, it's not that quoting the words of Christ is what the problem is, it's ignoring further teaching that is in line with Christ.

Civilwarbuff
2 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

Lol, it's not that quoting the words of Christ is what the problem is, it's ignoring further teaching that is in line with Christ.

Please elucidate......expecially the 'further teaching' part.....

Edited by Civilwarbuff

Innerfire89
4 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

Sorry, but I don't understand your question.  It has nothing to do with what I posted and you quoted.  Can you please re-phrase?

You said that taking communion was somewhat minor, what is minor about obeying Christ?