SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Bull of the Woods

My father, WWII

Bull of the Woods

My father during WWII. 

He did the trip across North Africa and up into Italy then over to Southern France. I am not sure where this was taken. I can imagine a doorway like that anywhere along the path he took.

My father is the tall fellow on the far left. He was born in late 1921 so he couldn't be more than 24 in the picture. But people seemed to look older then!

IMG_7029.JPG

• Like 2

Becky

Boys were men then..

Bull of the Woods

He was raised in an absolutely penniless sharecropper family near Rockdale Texas. So he was pretty toughened up at a very young age.

Edited by Bull of the Woods

Becky

Daddy picked cotton  gave the money to Grandma to help the family .. for a short time they lived in a soddy.. He cooked in the CCCs .. Used those cooking skills when he cooked at Bible School .. Served in the army air corp a PE instructor the day he was to ship out was the day the war ended. Had about 8 years of schooling. Carried a 4.0 at Glad Tidings Bible School.  Dad has been 'fishing with St Peter" for 20 years now i still miss him.. 

1 of 6 kids  to blind mom,  immigrant dad who was a part time traveling preacher. 

Bull of the Woods

My father was in the CCC before the war. When he went overseas he arranged to have his pay go to his parents to put in the bank for when he got home, minus some prearranged amount they were to use for themselves. When he got home they had spent it all.

Becky

Sheesh 

Bull of the Woods
1 hour ago, Becky said:

Sheesh 

It was only one of many tough things. My father sent his mother a monthly check every month until she died in her nineties.

Becky

A good lesson on doing what is right. Your dad reads like a good guy.

larry2

During the thirties, young men were hired to do project work at the rate of $30 per month, and all their clothing, and needs were met. $25 of that amount was mailed to the families to help them during a time of great depression in our country. My dad and one uncle were in that organization, and if I remember correctly only one member of each individual family was allowed to join the CCC.

Things were so much better when I went into the Air Force years later, and was paid $87 per month, and none of it needed be mailed home.

• Like 1

Uncle Siggy
12 hours ago, larry2 said:

During the thirties, young men were hired to do project work at the rate of $30 per month, and all their clothing, and needs were met. $25 of that amount was mailed to the families to help them during a time of great depression in our country. My dad and one uncle were in that organization, and if I remember correctly only one member of each individual family was allowed to join the CCC.

Things were so much better when I went into the Air Force years later, and was paid $87 per month, and none of it needed be mailed home.

When did you join up late 60s? I enlisted in 79 and my base pay was about $560 per month IIRC...

larry2
59 minutes ago, Uncle Siggy said:

When did you join up late 60s? I enlisted in 79 and my base pay was about $560 per month IIRC...

Sort of close brother. 1955, and there were some of the Air Force still wearing the old Army Air Force olive uniforms for a very short time which had started changing about 3 years earlier. Of course that pay rate was E1 in basic training, and I really can't remember the huge raise I received when I graduated, but it was something around $12 more dollars per month I think as an E2 with one stripe. I even had enough to go to a Fats Dominoe concert, get drunk, stand up on a table ready to fight the cops, and get kicked out. Wow, was that living or what?  :classic_cool:

• Haha 2

Bull of the Woods

My father's older brother served in the Army Air Corps in WWII and stayed in for some time. I remember distinctly him visiting us and arriving in uniform, and since I was born in late 1953 that couldn't have been earlier than  56.